When is the US going to collapse?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
And all because we exposed our wealth to the vacuum of our greed, our empty inner lives of no meaning, where termites have eaten our souls.

Hey Moonie speak for yourself unless you are a closet Republican.

404 greed not found here.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: TruePaige
Originally posted by: Patranus
Originally posted by: Elias824
I dont think this is going to happen in our time, there isnt anything that special going on, people have pretty much hated every president this country has ever had. I can see us loosing our super power status but simply collapsing dosent happen like it used to. This isnt Rome, and the huns are not invading.

What happens when China recalls their debt and there is no money to pay them back?
Give up Alaska for resources as repayment?

In what world does China demand money "or else"?

Nothing would happen if they tried that.

What happens when they stop loaning us money along with the Japanese? We only need to borrow a few trillion a year just to roll over current debt that is almost all short term debt (at historical low interest rates, GENIUS!!!) and that doesn't include ANY new borrowing. I know we are AMERICAN FUCK YEAH and all, but do you really think we can continue to borrow 4 trillion a year for the next 3 or 4 years while maintaining the rock bottom bond rates?

We need to borrow something like 7.5% of the WORLD GDP a year in order to roll over existing debt and fund new borrowing. Is that, in your opinion, sustainable?

One final question, if debt rises exponentially faster than GDP for decades what do you suppose will be the eventual outcome?

Oct 30, 2004
Started with FDRs court packing scheme. Threatening the Supreme Court to overturn existing laws to allow all of this out of control spending is what will doom this country.

It has nothing to do with foreign outsourcing, foreign work visas, mass immigration, and population explosion? What is the source of the need for welfare benefits and nanny statism in the first place? Could it be people's inability to find non-existent middle class jobs?

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Darwin333
I dont think this is going to happen in our time, there isnt anything that special going on, people have pretty much hated every president this country has ever had. I can see us loosing our super power status but simply collapsing dosent happen like it used to. This isnt Rome, and the huns are not invading.

What happens when China recalls their debt and there is no money to pay them back?

What happens when they stop loaning us money along with the Japanese? We only need to borrow a few trillion a year just to roll over current debt that is almost all short term debt (at historical low interest rates, GENIUS!!!) and that doesn't include ANY new borrowing. I know we are AMERICAN FUCK YEAH and all, but do you really think we can continue to borrow 4 trillion a year for the next 3 or 4 years while maintaining the rock bottom bond rates?

We need to borrow something like 7.5% of the WORLD GDP a year in order to roll over existing debt and fund new borrowing. Is that, in your opinion, sustainable?

One final question, if debt rises exponentially faster than GDP for decades what do you suppose will be the eventual outcome?

Shutup! I want my Obamacare!

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Zstream

I have no idea why you guys even quoted me, as you are talking about something completely different.

All I said was China can't "recall" their debt to be paid in full. They could certainly stop loaning us more money if they wanted to, though it is unlikely.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005

I have no idea why you guys even quoted me, as you are talking about something completely different.

All I said was China can't "recall" their debt to be paid in full. They could certainly stop loaning us more money if they wanted to, though it is unlikely.

You do not understand the relationship between Chinese debt and consequently more debt being added?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

As much as a lot of people want to put the blame on Obama, this has been in the making for decades. Don't get me wrong, Obama is keeping his foot on the peddle but that hardly makes the entire situation his fault.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006

You do not understand the relationship between Chinese debt and consequently more debt being added?

Reread again..

I just said, in response to Patranus' dumb comment that China could just recall their debt and ask for it all to be paid on the spot, that no they could not, they could stop lending to us if they wanted, but they can't demand immediate payback.

Sigh..what the hell man?

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005

Reread again..

I just said, in response to Patranus' dumb comment that China could just recall their debt and ask for it all to be paid on the spot, that no they could not, they could stop lending to us if they wanted, but they can't demand immediate payback.

Sigh..what the hell man?

I have yet to see any of the paperwork done on this. In fact I believe majority of it is in stocks/bonds and publicly funded companies. Yes, than can recall every cent of it if they so desire.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006

Reread again..

Sigh..what the hell man?

I have yet to see any of the paperwork done on this. In fact I believe majority of it is in stocks/bonds and publicly funded companies. Yes, than can recall every cent of it if they so desire.

.....You know what, fuck it.

You can't ask a country to pay you back in full immediately and have it done if the country does not have the money to do so.

You are trying so hard to make this some complex discussion.

I'm done talking about such a stupid sentence.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Reread again..

Sigh..what the hell man?

.....You know what, fuck it.

You can't ask a country to pay you back in full immediately and have it done if the country does not have the money to do so.

You are trying so hard to make this some complex discussion.

I'm done talking about such a stupid sentence.

You're trying to reason with someone in Missouri? Head meet wall

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
American's work best in crisis mode. Unfortunately, we leave something to be desired when trying to hit cruise control.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Yeah, I do not reason with people who are wrong. Bad habit of mine... picked it up in Missouri.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Yeah, I do not reason with people who are wrong. Bad habit of mine... picked it up in Missouri.

Funny, I didn't say anything debatable. I don't why you're being a jerk.

It'd be like if someone asked a borrower to pay their mortgage in full 2 years in.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
I am curious when you guys think that the United States will collapse and food shortages will take place and violance and starvation that kills millions?

Obviously, the country is on a unsustainable path for financial suicide.

This isn't a troll, just jenuinly courious what Americans think here.

Last night I saw a movie on Pay Per View called "Collapse." In it, Michael Ruppert is interviewed and he lays out an argument that we are already in the early phases of a collapse of modern society. At its core is the current "peak oil" crisis we find ourselves in. The world is rapidly running out of oil. When we are unable to obtain cheap oil then our entire society will dissolve. Everything we have now is built upon a layer of oil - food production (pesticides, fertilizers, transportation), electricity production, everything made out of plastic and many other materials. Without oil our economy would grind to a halt.

Basically, the world's population of 6 billion will not be sustainable and billions will have to die shortly after oil stops flowing. I don't know how we would be able to avert this unless some genius somewhere is sitting on a secret of how to quickly produce massive amounts of cheap, sustainable energy that does not involve oil.

Edit: Link http://www.collapsemovie.com/COLLAPSEMOVIE/
I learned of this film after reading Roger Ebert's review.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Predicting the collapse of human civilization/your country/society/whatever has been a passtime for every generation. People enjoy doing it no matter how unlikely it is, because bad news attracts interest, and what news could be worse than the end of life as we know it?

It's not going to happen, guys.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Predicting the collapse of human civilization/your country/society/whatever has been a passtime for every generation. People enjoy doing it no matter how unlikely it is, because bad news attracts interest, and what news could be worse than the end of life as we know it?

ORly? What will we do when we have no oil to provide cheap, abundant energy or to serve as a base compound for the products we buy/sell/use? These things that drive our economy and sustain the world's enormous (from a historical perspective) population?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I am curious when you guys think that the United States will collapse and food shortages will take place and violance and starvation that kills millions?

Obviously, the country is on a unsustainable path for financial suicide.

This isn't a troll, just jenuinly courious what Americans think here.
If you want your posts/threads to be taken seriously learn to at least spell. You probably have automatic spell checking going on (I do), so use it (right click underlined words and pick the one with correct spelling. If you don't know what correct spelling is, well, you need remedial English).

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

It was Thoreau who said:

I would not run round a corner to see the world blow up.

He had a sense of decency.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
ORly? What will we do when we have no oil to provide cheap, abundant energy or to serve as a base compound for the products we buy/sell/use? These things that drive our economy and sustain the world's enormous (from a historical perspective) population?

It's not that we're going to have 'no oil', it's that the demand for oil will begin to outstrip the supply, making it prohibitively expensive. This will drive people to find alternative fuel sources more quickly than we are already. It is certainly a problem, but hardly one that will lead to the collapse of our society.