When is the US going to collapse?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bloodugly

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2004
Originally posted by: bobsmith1492
We are very dependent on the uninterrupted flow of oil. If that stops:

- Farming stops
- Transport of food stops
- Transport of other energy sources (coal via rail, uranium, etc) stops

Without electricity and transportation, food prices will skyrocket, businesses will shut down, and mass panic and starvation will drive people to violence particularly in larger cities.

This would only happen with a sharp cutoff of oil, though. That could happen with a "perfect storm" of conditions, for example the following:

- Massive natural or man-made disasters (hurricane, earthquake, terrorism) destroy US refining capacity
- War erupts in oil-exporting countries (Venezuela is already there; if Russia and the Middle East went to war, that would knock off a lot more production)

Disasters can happen at any time, and the ME is always on the brink of war...

This reminds me of the movie "Tooth and Nail". Its on Netflix streaming. Michael Madsen is in it, though briefly. Funny movie, at least to me, but probably not for most. Worth watching if you have a couple of hours to kill.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
It's gotten better for me and every one of my friends. I came fro ma poor family and thus most of my friends growing up were poor as well. Now we all are successful and are home owners making more than our parents with inflation adjusted. To say middle class America isn't doing better is a lie because many of us are.
Look at our parents. They may have had more money saved up, but they also didn't spend it like we do. Nowdays, you almost have to have a computer, internet access, cell phone, 2 cars in a family, then add toys of mp3 players, Xbox, video games, and the list goes on.
We aren't poor, we just spend our money on more luxury items. And in doing that it spurs the economy. IF you tell people to stop buying computers, xboxes, mp3 players, ect, then the economy will never recover as saving money does not help an economy. Spending it does.

One thing is for sure. IF the US collapses it's going to take the rest of the world with it. The US is the largest exporter of grain in the world. We're still called the breadbasket of the world for a reason.
When/if we collapse and can no longer feed our selves, tht means we can not feed the world.
Obviously I was talking in generalizations. There are always outliers. For example I am making less than my parents. Both of my brothers are making less, too. Our individual circumstances are meaningless when looking at the pool of an entire country, as are yours and your friends'.

As a whole the middle class is not doing better. This is a statement based on cost of living and incomes over the past few decades across the low, middle, upper classes.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Originally posted by: BarrySotero
It has already collapsed and is just running on fumes basically. It is bankrupt - it's degenerated populations have been kept from each others throats by money and abundant creature comforts. As both dry up (soon) the cracks will show up big time. Get out of the big cities.

You, sir, have no idea what youre talking about. Seriously. You need to travel some to get your head straight on this issue.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Mithan
Topic Title: When is the US going to collapse?

You're watching it before your very eyes.

It started a slow decent with Reagan and is falling off a cliff thanks to Bush Jr.

Jury out if the Messiah and his buds can save it but doubtful with all the damage done by Bush & Co.

Nice, good job blaming bush even though the shit storm only started when the dems took control of Congress.

Saying BULLSHIT like that over and over again will not make it true.

History and Historians already know the truth, your body will be dust along with your lies.

Tell yourself this ;)

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Not in our lifetime.

You do realize, don't you, that your statement doesn't put any constraint on when the U.S. could collapse?

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Attempting to do a quick calculation here using the Finite Element Method, approximating the solution with differential equations and thinking of the problem in terms of the country as a collection of elements and components with various forms of connection between them and visualizing it as a plate or shell, a discrete system with a finite number of elements interconnected at finite number of nodes and taking into account the behavior of individual elements as characterized by the element's stiffness or flexibility relation, which altogether leads to the system's stiffness or flexibility relation, it appears, as I said, on first analysis that any free fall collapse of the US is mathematically impossible and could only be achieved using super Nano termites which have never received any barium enemas.

There are termites on my keyboard. And they are placing small tubes in their rectums . . . .

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
It won't collapse. It will be like Rome, a gradual decline in wealth and global influence (which one could argue has already begun). By the time it reaches the point of being a feeble backwater, in at least 100 years (probably a bit more), nobody around will care.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Ok I'll play this game.

Once global warming reaches the tipping point large parts of the third world will be underwater and/or starving - the US will be drawn into a world war over resources, which we'll lose to the Chinese.

Red Dawn II - it's real!!!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
The long term problem is not limited to our nation. If you thought 6 billion consumed and polluted the planet, imagine what 15 billion would do. Not sustainable.

there will never be 15 billion people

I'm curious to learn why you say this.

I tend to agree, but in this recognition comes legitimacy for the OP and his question.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: dainthomas
It won't collapse. It will be like Rome, a gradual decline in wealth and global influence (which one could argue has already begun). By the time it reaches the point of being a feeble backwater, in at least 100 years (probably a bit more), nobody around will care.

I agree. Our society, as a whole, mirrors Rome quite a bit.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: ayabe
Ok I'll play this game.

Once global warming reaches the tipping point large parts of the third world will be underwater and/or starving - the US will be drawn into a world war over resources, which we'll lose to the Chinese.

Red Dawn II - it's real!!!

And this time won't have Patrick Swayze to save us! :(

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Attempting to do a quick calculation here using the Finite Element Method, approximating the solution with differential equations and thinking of the problem in terms of the country as a collection of elements and components with various forms of connection between them and visualizing it as a plate or shell, a discrete system with a finite number of elements interconnected at finite number of nodes and taking into account the behavior of individual elements as characterized by the element's stiffness or flexibility relation, which altogether leads to the system's stiffness or flexibility relation, it appears, as I said, on first analysis that any free fall collapse of the US is mathematically impossible and could only be achieved using super Nano termites which have never received any barium enemas.

As long as you start the index with two of em you can use the Aitken's Delta Squared al gore rhythm. You could use a convention that would allow less than two but you've got more dishes than you can wash and under any shell may be the pea... anyhow, you would then insert the series and maybe produce a barium free termite infestation. The collapse might occur but to the satisfaction of the causation and that then would be beneficial to that inhabitant and be deemed as the start of something as termites would rather eat the paper than read it...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: LunarRay

As long as you start the index with two of em you can use the Aitken's Delta Squared al gore rhythm. You could use a convention that would allow less than two but you've got more dishes than you can wash and under any shell may be the pea... anyhow, you would then insert the series and maybe produce a barium free termite infestation. The collapse might occur but to the satisfaction of the causation and that then would be beneficial to that inhabitant and be deemed as the start of something as termites would rather eat the paper than read it...

You may be on to something here. I have been struggling to understand exactly how it is that termites cause free fall in economies and steel buildings and you may have stumbled onto the answer. Take a look at this:

Suppose we do 3HNO3+ C6H10O5 ? C6H7(NO2)3O5 + 3H2O
With some sulfuric acid as a catalyst to produce nitronium ion, NO2+.

This should give us a reaction of the first order that should proceed by electrophilic substitution at the C-OH centers of the cellulose and the cellulose, of course is supplied by the termites eating paper.

This of course is part of the family business and why I've to become Republican. We use gun cotton in one of our smokeless powders.

This is doubtless now they intend to put the economy in free fall. The termites are being given nitric and sulfuric acid enemas after a bit meal of paper and turned lose on society.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: LunarRay termites would rather eat the paper than read it...

You may be on to something here. I have been struggling to understand exactly how it is that termites cause free fall in economies and steel buildings and you may have stumbled onto the answer. Take a look at this:

This should give us a reaction of the first order that should proceed by electrophilic substitution at the C-OH centers of the cellulose and the cellulose, of course is supplied by the termites eating paper.

This of course is part of the family business and why I've to become Republican. We use gun cotton in one of our smokeless powders.

This is doubtless now they intend to put the economy in free fall. The termites are being given nitric and sulfuric acid enemas after a bit meal of paper and turned lose on society.

Are you heavily into Government Contracts? Well, first let me ask if you've the proper clearance authorization to 'out' this information. Anyhow, you wondered how to get 1000 tons of Gun Cotton into the economic structure well, you've mystified many for so long and now the truth emerges... you know stuff. Not only about hate but retribution..
You do understand the currency amount well, the money supply allows economic expansion to occur by its increase but termites eat that up... forcing the FED to print more and more and more until, blammo!!! The Structure is inflated... floats about and finally free falls into a mound of useless collateralized assets.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Started with FDRs court packing scheme. Threatening the Supreme Court to overturn existing laws to allow all of this out of control spending is what will doom this country.

Elias824

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2007
I dont think this is going to happen in our time, there isnt anything that special going on, people have pretty much hated every president this country has ever had. I can see us loosing our super power status but simply collapsing dosent happen like it used to. This isnt Rome, and the huns are not invading.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Originally posted by: Elias824
I dont think this is going to happen in our time, there isnt anything that special going on, people have pretty much hated every president this country has ever had. I can see us loosing our super power status but simply collapsing dosent happen like it used to. This isnt Rome, and the huns are not invading.

What happens when China recalls their debt and there is no money to pay them back?
Give up Alaska for resources as repayment?

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Patranus
Originally posted by: Elias824

What happens when China recalls their debt and there is no money to pay them back?
Give up Alaska for resources as repayment?

In what world does China demand money "or else"?

Nothing would happen if they tried that.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
US is not going to collapse, lol! :)

The worst thing that can happen due to current crisis is major shrinking of the middle class.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: boomerang
Originally posted by: woodie1
The price of oil has risen as the value of the dollar has fallen. Look at the price of gold. If we keep printing money like we are now the value of a dollar will continue to decrease and oil prices will continue to rise when priced in dollars. There is a point where no country will buy our bonds because the money used to repay the loans will be worthless or nearly so. We will become a 3rd world country if we don't slow down all the entitlement spending. I read an article a few weeks ago in Kiplinger's Personal Finance that said "The U.S. government is adding to the federal debt at a rate of nearly $5.5 billion per day." That is madness and has to stop.

My $0.02
Sometimes to achieve what you want, you have to tear down what you have.

Just a little food for thought.

Is that you, Obama?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: LunarRay
Originally posted by: LunarRay termites would rather eat the paper than read it...

Are you heavily into Government Contracts? Well, first let me ask if you've the proper clearance authorization to 'out' this information. Anyhow, you wondered how to get 1000 tons of Gun Cotton into the economic structure well, you've mystified many for so long and now the truth emerges... you know stuff. Not only about hate but retribution..
You do understand the currency amount well, the money supply allows economic expansion to occur by its increase but termites eat that up... forcing the FED to print more and more and more until, blammo!!! The Structure is inflated... floats about and finally free falls into a mound of useless collateralized assets.

And all because we exposed our wealth to the vacuum of our greed, our empty inner lives of no meaning, where termites have eaten our souls.