What's the most expensive thing you've ever bought?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
bubble gum

actually my first PC was about $5500 , probably that (1993, 386 DX 33, 8 MB RAM, 210 MB hard drive, 1 MB video card 16 M color)

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
When the PIII's just hit the market I bought a $3500 DELL. I will always hate myself for that purchase. The only THREE things I still use from that computer are the printer that cost an extra $250, the keyboard, and the monitor.

In case you are curious or just need a laugh, back then ~$3750 got you the following from DELL:

P3 500mhz
128MB PC100 ram
Aureal based Turtle Beach sound card
STB 16mb TNT1 :Q OMFG! 1337!!!!!1111
STB TV-tuner I never used it
Altec Lansing 295 speakers
19" Dell monitor
4.8x DVD-Rom drive
Floppy drive
100MB Zip drive
16GB HHD
Microsoft Natural Elite KB
Logitech Wheelman mouse
HP Deskjet 882c printer

Whooptie friggin' doo, really wish I had that money now. :(

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: C'DaleRider
Originally posted by: Fausto
Originally posted by: blazert40
probally my current PC, I did everything top of the end, I didn't go cheap on anything. Ended up spending total around $3,600.
This I don't get. Sure it kicks ass for a year or so, but then you upgrade again. I wait until things drop off the bleeding-edge-high-price shelf and then buy.

Of course, I spent about the same amount of money on a bicycle, but it won't need upgrades in a year. ;)

Yeah, yeah.............that's what we all say about our bicycles.........but in the end, there's ALYWAYS something else to buy for it, needed or not. I know, I'm in the same boat. Upgrade-itis is terrible.
I know, I know.....it's a sickness.

A fscking tasty carbon-fiber-titanium sickness. :D

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by: SithSolo1
When the PIII's just hit the market I bought a $3500 DELL. I will always hate myself for that purchase. The only THREE things I still use from that computer are the printer that cost an extra $250, the keyboard, and the monitor.

In case you are curious or just need a laugh, back then ~$3750 got you the following from DELL:

P3 500mhz
128MB PC100 ram
19" Dell monitor
4.8x DVD-Rom drive
Floppy drive
100MB Zip drive
16GB HHD
Logitech Wheelman mouse
HP Deskjet 882c printer

That's a killer web surfing machine.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by: SithSolo1

P3 500mhz
128MB PC100 ram
19" Dell monitor
4.8x DVD-Rom drive
Floppy drive
100MB Zip drive
16GB HHD
Logitech Wheelman mouse
HP Deskjet 882c printer

That's a killer web surfing machine.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
As of right now, my SUV is the most expensive thing that I paid for. I paid for it in full with cash about 3 years ago (twenty something grand plus). The other is my computer that I bought about the same time as the SUV (about 2 grands).

Hopefully, within 5 years I will decide where to live and bought a nice house and gettting married with a kid or two :D

Edit: I guess I could include my Bachelor degree cost. After scholarships, grants, part time job, ect..I owed about 4 grands in student loan. Just paid it off last month. The MBA was free, courtesy of former employer :D

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Svnla
As of right now, my SUV is the most expensive thing that I paid for. I paid for it in full with cash about 3 years ago (twenty something grand plus). The other is my computer that I bought about the same time as the SUV (about 2 grands).

Hopefully, within 5 years I will decide where to live and bought a nice house and gettting married with a kid or two :D

Edit: I guess I could include my Bachelor degree cost. After scholarships, grants, part time job, ect..I owed about 4 grands in student loan. Just paid it off last month. The MBA was free, courtesy of former employer :D

I think the OP wants cash figures spent, not finance plans, revolving CC payments, and loans.

Also SUV is a car.

If we are talking loans/payment plans and still not a house or car, it could get ugly fast especially when there was $300k for a hospital bill (luckily that went with the divorce), $50k in school loans, home improvements of about $50k, I have a shoebox full of things :)

Å

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: Svnla

I think the OP wants cash figures spent, not finance plans, revolving CC payments, and loans.

Also SUV is a car.

If we are talking loans/payment plans and still not a house or car, it could get ugly fast especially when there was $300k for a hospital bill (luckily that went with the divorce), $50k in school loans, home improvements of about $50k, I have a shoebox full of things :)

Å
The OP really doesn't care anymore. :D He was bored at the time.

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
dunno...

I spent about 1800.00 on my PC two summers ago (moniter, computer, and speakers)

total of my remote control (including metal/comp servos, kit, engine, tx/rx, etc) was about $1400.00 two summers ago

hmmm...this summer I blew 1700.00 on my new speakers for my HT (well worth it)

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Engagement ring followed by a Rolex sports watch I also could have said education and a few other things but didn't feel you were looking for non tangible items....

I have also spent good money on computer systems, Radio controlled cars and planes (upwards of a few thousand each) and other various hobbies, consumerism sucks for my wallet thats for sure.