What first world problem did you have today?

Page 913 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Have 4 UPS deliveries from 4 different stores coming this week. All have shipped, but since Thursday UPS has showed "Check back tomorrow for an updated delivery date" I guess I could look at the current location and figure it out, but they need to fix their shit!
Mine was delivered and signed for in Alpharetta, GA last Friday. I'm in S.C. UPS help line is a joke. Going by the store tomorrow.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
The nearest two Macy's have also disappeared.
Looks like Walmart if I wanna know what they feel like, and Walmart has lousy selection.

I know you like to actually touch them. I recently got some 700tc from Macys that have been washing nicely. I can look up what they were if ya want?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
LL Bean is usually premium as hell. Good quality stuff.

My FWP for the day is terlet paper. Had to drive the 75 miles to Olympia last week to pick up my patio door...decided to hit Costco while we were there. Sold out of terlet paper except for the jumbo rolls like you'd find in a gas station shitter.
So, placed an order with Costco.com. Had to spend $75 to get free shipping...but that's easy. Today, the order shipped...EXCEPT the terlet paper. Out of stock. :mad: The whole reason for the order was to buy terlet paper...the rest of the stuff was just filler.
Ordered similar stuff from Walmart. (not quite the same...sheets are a bit smaller, but close enough for now.)

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
So my internet went down again. This time the DSL is fine, just no internet. The automated troubleshooter says, yep a problem, would you like to chat? FUCK NO! Hmm, too bad, it's the only way to get service. So we did unplug the modem, hard reset the modem, re-initiate service, nothing working. Running out of ideas, the chat person then claims I've exceeded my data plan (I have unlimited data). I ask the person to elevate the ticket twice at which point the person disconnected the session. Now I have to go through CenturyLink's phone tree to get a real person to schedule someone who knows what they are doing.
Went through the phone support, got a technician on site. The technician runs through everything I already did, switches ports at the central office, tests the lines, tries a new modem, everything works just no internet connection. Then the tech has to chat with the same help desk morons as the great unwashed. Even after entering the secret squirrel code letting the help desk know that this is a Century Link field tech, the chat moron runs through the script, culminating in the “I have resolved al your issues, goodbye”. send off. So I still have no internet.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I got a hundred dollar ticket.
I can pay it online.
They want a twenty one dollar "Convenience Fee".

I can go to the courthouse.
I have to wait all day.
If I plead no contest I can pay the ticket.
And a hundred dollar "Court Cost".

Anyone else think this has nothing to do with public safety and is actually a giant fucking scam?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Anyone else think this has nothing to do with public safety and is actually a giant fucking scam?
It's always been about revenue. I try to keep it in perspective. At the rate I get speeding tickets, it costs me less then 20¢/day to drive as fast as I like.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I got a hundred dollar ticket.
I can pay it online.
They want a twenty one dollar "Convenience Fee".
$21 convenience fee? WTF. People around here complain about $2-3 extra charge for paying online. You must live in FL or TX.

Edit: Can't you just write a personal check, and yes, MAIL the payment in. I mean, that's not free either, you'll pay $0.56 for a stamp.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
$21 convenience fee? WTF. People around here complain about $2-3 extra charge for paying online. You must live in FL or TX.

Edit: Can't you just write a personal check, and yes, MAIL the payment in. I mean, that's not free either, you'll pay $0.56 for a stamp.

FIFTY SIX CENTS!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
This is more ongoing, but pretty sure I bricked my new $700 phone. I successfully put GrapheneOS on it as I wanted something geared towards privacy. Problem is the texting was glitchy as hell. I kept re-receiving old texts that I already got before. They don't have a forum or anything so it was very hard to search for anything or get any kind of support. They have this chat website so I asked if it was a known bug or whatever but just got told to move to signal, but nobody I know uses that, so I wanted to stick to regular texting. They just kept going around the question instead of actually answering it then ended up banning me. I then tried to make a phone call and that did not even work as it would just end the call right away, so it was the last straw.

So tried to switch to LineageOS and pretty sure one of the steps I did wrong and now my phone is bricked. $700 down the drain. Going to send it to Rossman Repair Group as a last resort. I really like what Louis does with his fight against right to repair so may as well support his business. If he can't fix it he can probably just keep it for spare parts or something.

Then I'll just start saving up for an iphone. They are not exactly great for privacy either but they are not as bad as stock android. At least I'll be on the same platform as everybody else and not be the odd man out whenever they want to do facetime or other apple specific thing.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
That nasty abscess in my groin is back.
The overpriced American health care system charged me 1500 dollars to do absolutely nothing. It got bigger. I have to go back to the doctor.
I may need surgery.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Ouch that sucks. I had a boile once on my butt, that was freaking horrible. Was caused by an ingrown hair. Needed to have it surgically removed and had to go to hospital every 2 days to have the packing changed so it heals properly. Could not take showers, only sponge baths. Could not sit either. I ended up getting C Diff from all of that too. Missed like a month of work.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Bought a $279 Breville waffle maker and it didn't even come with a damn instruction manual. I understanding they probably did it to help save the environment, but I'd expect a waffle iron that cost over $300 fuckin bucks with tax that they could at least include a manual. Now I have to go find the charger and charge my tablet or use my tiny phone screen to read the PDF version of the manual.

I typically don't read manuals but this has a lot of damn settings for a waffle maker. It figures the ONE time I want to read the damn manual is the ONE time the product doesn't come with it. And if I wanted to print out the PDF I'd have to go buy a toner or take it to where ever they still print shit and pay to have it printed. This thing better make the greatest damn waffles in the history of breakfast that much I know.

BOOOOOO!

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Yeah where is the $21 convenience fee. Around here it's a couple bucks and I'm like WTF I'm making it more convenient for you guys too!

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
So damn sick of automated telephone messages telling me I can find the information I need online. If I could find the information I needed online do you think I would be calling you and sitting on hold for half an hour?

Reactions: Captante and pmv

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
So damn sick of automated telephone messages telling me I can find the information I need online. If I could find the information I needed online do you think I would be calling you and sitting on hold for half an hour?

And it's not as if they just tell you that once. They do it over-and-over, repeatedly while you are on hold, and again during every interminable voice-menu you have to drill down through.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It's always been about revenue. I try to keep it in perspective. At the rate I get speeding tickets, it costs me less then 20¢/day to drive as fast as I like.

Err speeding tickets increase insurance cost bigly.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
It's a $35 ticket if you go 6MPH over the speed limit in Chicago and get caught by a speed camera.

Fortunately, Chicago is so gridlocked most of the time that you don't even have to look at your speedometer.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
my doctor and my dmv have useless information online. and the phones are almost useless.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
When replacing my son's CPU, motherboard, and RAM today, I stupidly dropped a screw that fell into the PSU. I ended up having to remove it out of the case in order to get the screw out of it.

If that wasn't dumb enough, I didn't push down hard enough on one of the DDR4 modules (the side that has the tab that doesn't move anymore), and it was preventing the system from being able to see the NVMe drive or boot. Seriously, why couldn't they leave the tabs like they were pre DDR4, as you knew if the module was fully seated when you got a click on both sides? :rolleyes:

Those two mistakes probably added a good hour to the build/testing time.