What first world problem did you have today?

Page 1045 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 27, 2020
They are everywhere in Chicago and people are riding their bikes around blaring music on nature trails like I wanted to go for a walk in nature so I could hear their rap music.
That should be illegal. The whole point of a nature trail is to enjoy nature like our ancestors did which includes listening to nature's sounds.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The best way to enjoy nature is to go where there is nobody around for miles. Nature trails are great too but you don't get the same sense of peace as being far out in the bush.

Reactions: lxskllr
Jul 27, 2020
The best way to enjoy nature is to go where there is nobody around for miles. Nature trails are great too but you don't get the same sense of peace as being far out in the bush.
The problem with that is, in case of emergency, you are stuck in the middle of nowhere. So unless you hate life and desirous of using a possibly one-way trip to figure out your purpose in life, don't go out into the wilderness alone. That means you too, Red Squirrel. I know you love the idea of camping on your plot of land but I think you may have never considered the danger posed by a desperate horny bear who will bone anything with a big enough backside orifice. I recommend first creating a horny bear alert drone, armed with flashbang grenades that patrols the perimeter and has enough intelligence to get in front of the bear to deploy the flash grenade so the bear runs AWAY from your encampment and not towards you.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I figure if it's my time, it's my time. I could just as easily end up in a fatal accident driving right in town, or get hit by a car while walking.

If a bear is horny and comes for me, it will make a fun story to tell. Just hope it's a female at least. :p

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I bought a Meat Slicer on Offerup today and ran to the store and got a stick of Boar's Head Picante Soppressata and some aged Provolone to make a Charcuterie board. Had some other meat and cheese goodies in the fridge too. I didn't have anything proper to clean the machine with, so I was on my way to go to the store when I saw my neighbor outside and figured I'd ask if they had any food safe cleaner

"yup" SCORE.

For some reason I didn't even think to check the bottle to see if it was actually food safe, I was just ready to eat. So I cleaned it and sliced all of meat and cheese. I was waiting for my company before I started eating when I realized I hadn't read the entire cleaning bottle just the "spray and wipe" part. I read it all and BOOM

Do not use on. Food-contact surfaces.

Well shit, now the charcuterie board's probably a dysentery board. I don't know what would happen here if I ate any of it, but it can't imagine it's a good idea. The cleaner has Microban 24 in it.

So I returned the cleaner and told my neighbor "This stuff isn't food grade man."
"yes it is, it says multi surface right on the bottle. So it's safe on all surfaces" Well that's one way to look at what multi surface means, it's not the right way but it is a way.

According to them they've used it on food contact surfaces a bunch of times and never had any issues. But I'm pretty sure it's at best a serious crap shoot to eat anything I sliced lol.

All that perfectly sliced, delicious Soppresseta's mocking me now.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
According to them they've used it on food contact surfaces a bunch of times and never had any issues. But I'm pretty sure it's at best a serious crap shoot to eat anything I sliced lol.
If they had to specifically mention that it isn't meant for food contact surfaces, there's probably a pretty good reason for it. Like the chemicals doing something bad to the human body. DNA damage. Mutations. Cancer.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Try to see if you can get your hands on Benifect. It's a disinfectant used in the home restoral business, it will kill mold, ecoli, hiv etc and is food safe. In fact, you could drink it if you really wanted to. I use it as a general purpose cleaner for surfaces my cats might touch. Although I'm reading lot of conflicting info on whether or not it's safe for cats so I may need to revisit that or check with my vet. Some sites say it's safe, some say it's super toxic.

Jul 27, 2020
Too much disinfection can lead to loss of immunity. Immune system needs to be challenged a bit from time to time to maintain its sharp edge over microbes. It could also cause mutation of normal bugs into SUPERBUGS!

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
After procrastinating through the shopping holiday I'm trying to update a new credit card I was sent. I'm having trouble because there is a DNS outage or something going on. I can't get to half of the sites to update my info. Half of the tabs I have open just keep loading forever.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah I'm thinking they forgot about the basement lol.

Some commercial buildings here don't have basements but it's not super common unless it's a garage or something. I think they still have footings going all the way down when they build that way so at that point you may as well just make a basement. Even my garage has a crawlspace under it, although that's not very common for homes.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Looks like my workplace is switching to Office 365. It looks like there is still a desktop client involved but I guess it's all cloud based now. Had to tie it with my work account. I don't really care about work but I hate that everything is going towards that model now where everything is tied to some cloud. Glad I run Linux at home and try to stick to open source stuff so don't really need to deal with any of that.

Going to be annoying if our corporate internet goes down though. Won't be able to look at documentation or anything to figure out who to call. They removed our home drives a while back and talking about removing departmental drives too. They seem to really be cracking down on the ability to save or share files. I kinda get it, from a security point of view, but when it starts to impede your job it's perhaps going a little far.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Looks like my workplace is switching to Office 365. It looks like there is still a desktop client involved but I guess it's all cloud based now. Had to tie it with my work account. I don't really care about work but I hate that everything is going towards that model now where everything is tied to some cloud. Glad I run Linux at home and try to stick to open source stuff so don't really need to deal with any of that.

Going to be annoying if our corporate internet goes down though. Won't be able to look at documentation or anything to figure out who to call. They removed our home drives a while back and talking about removing departmental drives too. They seem to really be cracking down on the ability to save or share files. I kinda get it, from a security point of view, but when it starts to impede your job it's perhaps going a little far.
We're mostly there. On-machine drive space is extremely limited, local servers are gone except for the print server, everything on cloud. External drives are tightly controlled except that IT looks the other way when it comes to the external drives that have proliferated since going to the cloud. Even the IT folks are carrying around drives with all the stuff they need to do their work if the cloud is unavailable. There is spyware in place to detect when an unauthorized drive is plugged into any system device. IT decided to not turn it on or is ignoring the external drives as they don't have the people to deal with all the help tickets that would come if the system ran according to policy.

The corporate policy on FTP is pretty funny. We are prohibited from utilizing FTP protocol, period. Yet an FTP client is in the authorized software stack. Our centralized GIS repository relies on FTP for data sharing. So each user that has GIS data to load has to get a waiver to access the company's internal FTP server.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I wanted to play COD MW3, I never finished the single player so I thought I could do that tonight. Welp, I forgot my password for Battle.net, I tried to reset it but it requires you to use a stupid authenticator app to do that. Apparently my email isn't secure enough. I removed that stupid app from my phone because I didn't think I'd ever use it again. Well, I couldn't just reinstall it because I don't know my battle.net password so it knows who the fuck I am.

Poking around Blizzard's site I finally found a way to deauthorize the authenticator and change my password. But then you have to reauthorize, and I don't even know the info for that. Not one to give up, I kept fucking around until I finally got it working. Well, I think because naturally when I went to launch the game, it had a 106GB update. Now I'm not a programmer, but I'm pretty sure 106GB's just downloading the entire fucking game again. Patches used to be a few hundred megabytes. HOPEFULLY when it's done "updating" the damn game will work. With my luck when it's installed it won't launch until I tell it info I don't know. Which will require me contacting Blizzard support. All this to finish a SP game that probably has a shitty ending because nobody even plays MW3 for single player lol.

I really dislike Activision, and Blizzard. I just want to play a game, and the hoops you gotta jump through are fuckin crazy. And I don't even play MP so all the extreme anti cheating shit they have going on doesn't even matter for single player. Intel giving me this game for free when I bought my 13500k last Xmas made me decide my next CPU will be a Ryzen.