What first world problem did you have today?

Page 1044 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
No export function ?!
Not really, and even if there was, it probably wouldn't be compatible with whatever the new solution would be. Unless it would export in a human readable format like CSV or something. One of them is DOS, the other is Windows but very old. Then there's a few that are proprietary, ex: it dials out, and displays info, but it's not just a raw terminal session.

Worse case scenario we just input everything in new system as 1200 baud and fix it as we go, since most things work at 1200 while some need to go down to 300. I think the stop bits, flow control etc is all the same across the board too. One of the programs actually displays the modem init string, so that will make it easier.

Some of the equipment we connect to has an uptime longer than I am alive lol. The thing with telecom stuff is that back in the day it was built to last. Can't help but wonder how things would be if Nortel had not failed, since their stuff was solid. Same with other companies like 3com, Paradyne, Newbridge etc. Although our Newbridge is in pretty rough shape and it's hard to get parts for that. The management runs off one of those big SUN servers, the big ones that are like 15U lol.

• Wow
Reactions: Ajay
Jul 27, 2020
The management runs off one of those big SUN servers, the big ones that are like 15U lol.
How would you get support for that? From Oracle? Why does your organization's management WANT to be in this situation of being completely lost when unsupported hardware fails and there is NO backup hardware to bring up the lost services?

You should write an anonymous letter and mail it to the company's HQ. Make it special delivery with signature required. Choose a title that tells them what kind of Doomsday scenario they are setting themselves up for.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
How would you get support for that? From Oracle? Why does your organization's management WANT to be in this situation of being completely lost when unsupported hardware fails and there is NO backup hardware to bring up the lost services?

You should write an anonymous letter and mail it to the company's HQ. Make it special delivery with signature required. Choose a title that tells them what kind of Doomsday scenario they are setting themselves up for.

Haha not management as in people, but like the management system for the equipment. It's what you connect to to make changes and what not. I think they've been migrating stuff off that since it's on it's last legs.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I finally got off my busted ass and put up christmas lights. A couple of years ago, I bought 6 sets of the Holiday ShowHome color changing light strings from Home Depot after christmas. (saved a ton on them) They've worked beautifully for the past 3 years...this year, one string is dead. :mad: Power passes through the string...replaced the fuses...nothing. Tomorrow...IF it doesn't rain too much, I'll go outside and take them down and TRY to troubleshoot them. The website (ishowtree.com) seems to be dead as well.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Some of the equipment we connect to has an uptime longer than I am alive lol. The thing with telecom stuff is that back in the day it was built to last. Can't help but wonder how things would be if Nortel had not failed, since their stuff was solid. Same with other companies like 3com, Paradyne, Newbridge etc. Although our Newbridge is in pretty rough shape and it's hard to get parts for that. The management runs off one of those big SUN servers, the big ones that are like 15U lol.
1701336344504.png

I think Fujitsu Still makes them. EOS is 2034. Buy your today!

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Kind of annoying, cause I have to hit [Back]-[Reload], or go to the top of the page to click the link that'll *load fresh content.

*Yea, yea, I know. Hope springs eternal!

• Haha

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Every single week Thursday night football is blurry as fuck. It's a known, common problem with Prime. You can only watch it on Prime. I can watch 4 games at once on YouTube TV crystal clear. Every other game on every other network is fine, but not on Prime. It's fucking ridiculous.

83" of blurry mess.
20231130_212426.jpg20231130_212422.jpg

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
How's your network/wifi?

I watch Prime football every week...except this week. The Seahawks game is showing on the local Fox network.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
1gb fiber. All other games are perfect. College, pro, 4k games. Other sports are perfect. We watch literally all sports other than Nascar and tennis. Wife and I are sports fiends. It's only Prime Thursday night football. Every single week, it's the same thing. Quick search of "Prime Thursday football blurry" and it's the same thing, and not just this year. Commercials are clear, it's just the game is blurry.

Jul 27, 2020
By the way, I'm all ears on how to get all the honey out of a narrow plastic container without turning it upside down and waiting an eternity for it to trickle out completely.
I went ahead and did exactly that. Turned the old container upside down over the new container (both with lids off, of course) and let the honey trickle down for about three hours.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
If you buy the same brand/size of honey every time, you could make a coupler out of two caps. Cut the middles out of both caps, then glue them together. You can then screw two bottles together to drain with less risk of spillage.

• Love
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Went to buy Roxul insulation since I need like 1 batt to finish a job and apparently there is a shortage of that stuff right now. Home Depot was cleaned right out, Home Hardware was out too and they will not get a truck for at least a few months. Went to BMR, they only had the 2x6 one in stock, but considering the circumstances I bought 3 batts of that as it may have been my only chance. Will just have to cut them differently to fit them. They had a bag that was broken so they were selling off individual batts.

After all that running around I think it's time for another coffee. :p

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Mystery electrical is always fun. My house is pretty decent thankfully. The wiring is old and a bit of a pain to work with, but it's basically romex, just a really old version of it. Uses some sort of tar like braided insulation and your hands get all black from working on it. No aluminium so that's a plus. With price of copper I could see aluminium make a come back though... Aluminium is not bad it just requires a bit more specific techniques to work with it.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Ordered a speaker + backpack combo thingy from Bumpboxx last night and I got catfished bad. Here's a picture of the backpack from Bumpboxx's website, and the 2nd is not. The wild thing is, Bumpboxx has fake pics from 3 different angles.

SE_BUMPBOXX_4.png

IMHO it looks pretty nice.

se-bikes-se-bumpboxx-blk-blu.jpg

And this one looks like, well a ghetto ass creation my low skill butt whipped up in my garage. I didn't see the 2nd pic until after I ordered it. I probably wouldn't have even ordered if if I had, oh well. I took another look at the 1st on my monitor and up close and I'm pretty sure it's a fake rendered pic lol.

Once I get it I plan to ride around on my electric scooter and Rick Roll all the close neighborhoods on repeat at full volume. So some others can have the 1st world problem of being annoyed by an annoying fucker playing an annoying song.

The difference between the 2 pics is wild as hell, I can't imagine people ordering it are happy when they open up to find what looks like a shoddly homemade project. I expect to get cat fished on Alibaba or Temu, but now I know it can happen anywhere :(

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You are going to face plant alot then. People will create road obstacles just for you.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I checked out the 'Wrapped' thing on Spotify and my top song, one that I apparently played 729 times this year, is a song I've never listened to by an artist I've never heard of, featured in the soundtrack to a movie I've never seen. The rest of my top list looked about right except for this one entry.

• Haha

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Once I get it I plan to ride around on my electric scooter and Rick Roll all the close neighborhoods on repeat at full volume. So some others can have the 1st world problem of being annoyed by an annoying fucker playing an annoying song.

The difference between the 2 pics is wild as hell, I can't imagine people ordering it are happy when they open up to find what looks like a shoddly homemade project. I expect to get cat fished on Alibaba or Temu, but now I know it can happen anywhere :(
Not sure if serious but if I could ban these Bluetooth speakers that bikers wear I would. They are everywhere in Chicago and people are riding their bikes around blaring music on nature trails like I wanted to go for a walk in nature so I could hear their rap music.