What first world problem did you have today?

Page 1043 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 17, 2019
Got a letter saying my Eagle deposit and amount were changing effective this month. They even mentioned exact amounts and dates. Then I got the regular dropping on the regular date. Now I don't know what to expect next month.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Our wildlife cam picked up a stumbling ass drunk guy teetering on our rock outcrops. We didn't find any blood or a dead guy so I assume he made his way home. Either that or the javelina ate him as they were the next critters to show up at the spring.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Thanksgiving dinner was at a restaurant.
Saw blackberries and dark cherries in cream for dessert. That sounded delicious and was looking forward to it the most.

I dozed off at the table after main course. :eek:
Never got to order my dessert. :(
I woke up with everyone finishing their dessert.
Didn't want to order it at point.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Lol I can't imagine renting a house just to renovate my house. Gotta be made of money to afford that.
Oh you can easily do that. Just marry a nice girl after you are done, have a bunch of kids, teach them everything you know about making money and set them loose on the world! Child labor works!

Jul 27, 2020
I dozed off at the table after main course. :eek:
That's a bad sign. Must have been a really heavy meal to make you doze off. None of your relatives poked you in the ribs to wake you up? You saw them smirking/giggling when your eyes opened?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That's a bad sign. Must have been a really heavy meal to make you doze off. None of your relatives poked you in the ribs to wake you up? You saw them smirking/giggling when your eyes opened?
Thanksgiving meal is mandated to be heavy.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
No I mean why would I get a new wife if I get rid of the current one? It's like jumping from one boiling pot into another.

I always wonder about the people who never seem to learn. “This is Judy, my 5th wife.”
Da fuq? (and they usually seem to keep marrying The same “ type.” My BiL has always had an affinity for bar flies…he’s married and divorced 3 of them…but he has lived with his current one for over 15 years, (not married) so maybe it’s the marriage part that causes the problem.

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
maybe it’s the marriage part that causes the problem.
I've never liked the word wife. Waifu I can get behind, though.

I don't understand why the English language settled on the word wife. This is my wife. What does that tell you? Only that this woman and the man she is married to, must live together and have sexual relations only with each other and no one else. It doesn't convey the love in words like "significant other" or "my better half" or "soulmate" or even "wifey". The word wife is BORING and needs to become archaic, like NOW!

My point is, maybe women get tired of being referred to as just a wife and this causes intimacy problems. If more affectionate synonyms are used, marriages would last longer. After all, all women want is to hear their praise from the lips of other human beings. Nothing makes their blood pump faster.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Because I have to manage a professional development budget now I'm in a standard hotel room instead of a suite for a conference. In ye olden days someone else approved that. Now if I do that it means a junior staff member can't have a prof dev opportunity so I'm slumming it 😔

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Because I have to manage a professional development budget now I'm in a standard hotel room instead of a suite for a conference. In ye olden days someone else approved that. Now if I do that it means a junior staff member can't have a prof dev opportunity so I'm slumming it 😔

You COULD set the junior staff member up in the suite...you never know how that might work in your favor.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
They're moving one of our ticket systems to this other system that uses activeX, which means we will need to VNC into the windows XP box in order to make tickets, but they plan to take away that box because it no longer meets IT standards.

The current system runs on a VAX mainframe or something along those lines and the front end client requires IE6 as well but it runs in some kind of sandbox now so it's seamless. Maybe they'll be able to do the same with this "new" system.

I don't know what is the point of moving from a crap system to another crap system, but I just work here. As long as the pay cheque keeps coming I'll keep showing up lol.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
They're moving one of our ticket systems to this other system that uses activeX, which means we will need to VNC into the windows XP box in order to make tickets, but they plan to take away that box because it no longer meets IT standards.

The current system runs on a VAX mainframe or something along those lines and the front end client requires IE6 as well but it runs in some kind of sandbox now so it's seamless. Maybe they'll be able to do the same with this "new" system.

I don't know what is the point of moving from a crap system to another crap system, but I just work here. As long as the pay cheque keeps coming I'll keep showing up lol.

It would all be better if you were in charge. If Twitter can run in a small shed, imagine what you could do with Canadian government infrastructure!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Since it's 2023 I have questions...but probably best unasked since it's not my problem to deal with

Lots of legacy stuff and software at this company. And every time we take over something we inherit more. The XP machine is mostly so we can dial to other sites, but it also has a few old pieces of software on it that won't work in 7 or 10.

For the dialup stuff, we need to start looking at a program that will work in win 10, but then someone has to sit there and enter every single device in it. I actually wanted to start looking at that and kind of got side tracked with other stuff.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Lots of legacy stuff and software at this company. And every time we take over something we inherit more. The XP machine is mostly so we can dial to other sites, but it also has a few old pieces of software on it that won't work in 7 or 10.

For the dialup stuff, we need to start looking at a program that will work in win 10, but then someone has to sit there and enter every single device in it. I actually wanted to start looking at that and kind of got side tracked with other stuff.
No export function ?!

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Got an email from comcast this morning saying I've used 75% of my data cap for the month, no idea when they added a cap but I never had one with them for years. I'd drop them in a heartbeat if I could but there is absolute garbage options for ISP's in Northeastern IL.