What first world problem did you have today?

Page 1047 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
WTF happened to the medical industry? We haven't has a primary care doctorsince we moved to the coast. Not much available here...following my wife's mini-stroke, I need to find one for her.
Nope. None within about 100 miles are taking new patients until at least mid-February.

• Wow
Reactions: stargazr

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
WTF happened to the medical industry? We haven't has a primary care doctorsince we moved to the coast. Not much available here...following my wife's mini-stroke, I need to find one for her.
Nope. None within about 100 miles are taking new patients until at least mid-February.
Too few residency slots exist nationwide. The number of slots determines medical school admissions. There was a twenty five year period from 1980 - 2005 where the number of residency slots was flatlined. We'll be paying for that for a few more decades.

• Wow
Reactions: Ajay

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Yet, at least in my area, MOST of the "doctors" are one kind of nurse practitioner" or another.
Yep. I haven't had any type of primary care provider since 2014 when my doctor switched to being a hospitalist. The few times I've needed care, I went to urgent care.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
not a first world problem, but i was supposed to have a date today. woke up feeling like crap and rescheduled. i was really looking forward to it.

as a fellow single person dating, I can relate to your disappointment. Hope the reschedule works out!

Where are you dating and what age range?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
as a fellow single person dating, I can relate to your disappointment. Hope the reschedule works out!

Where are you dating and what age range?
I live in a relatively small town so my dating area geographically is pretty wide at ~50miles. Age-wise, late 20s to early 40s (I'm coming up on 37)

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Eff...can't get a close replacement. This is a temp tank, 3" off the wall....nope. The ordered one will still be 1" off. The original 1937 was a 6 gallon flush...beast.1211232008.jpg

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'd have kept the 37. I like porcelain fixtures from that era anyway. They had a nice style.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Just found out our water/sewer rate is going up AGAIN. These greedy bastards just never know when to stop, all they do is take and take and take from us and it's never enough. That's on top of the property tax that will probably go up too. Something's got to give.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Just found out our water/sewer rate is going up AGAIN. These greedy bastards just never know when to stop, all they do is take and take and take from us and it's never enough. That's on top of the property tax that will probably go up too. Something's got to give.
Timmins is not even in the top 5 in Ontario. This is what happens when you are in a small town, there isn't enough people to support the infrastructure.

Jul 27, 2020
Just found out our water/sewer rate is going up AGAIN.
I think it's one way to dissuade people from wasting water since it's not an infinite resource. There are places where that's a non-issue as you can just install a water pump to pull ground water. Not sure if you have that option.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I think it's one way to dissuade people from wasting water since it's not an infinite resource. There are places where that's a non-issue as you can just install a water pump to pull ground water. Not sure if you have that option.
Almost 3 UAEs fits in the Great Lakes... It's not shortage of water, rather the processing and maintenance.

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
following my wife's mini-stroke, I need to find one for her.
Neprinol.

You or your wife won't have to worry about strokes hopefully. It clears out blood clots and keeps them from forming. You just need to stay on the 3 capsules a day maintenance dose. Talk to your doctor about it (if you have an open minded doc).

Jul 27, 2020
(I'm coming up on 37)
To be honest with you, that's not a great age because from age 35 to 42 you will get challenged in various ways. It could be health, career, finances and even love! So tread carefully. Don't get dragged down by a gold digger. The really good ones can be hard to figure out. You keep thinking that she really wants to be with you but there are little signs here and there which point to her inherent selfishness and out of love, you might keep ignoring the signs until you end up wasting a lot of time and money, both of which are too precious to waste on a gold digging heifer.

Jul 27, 2020
Too few residency slots exist nationwide. The number of slots determines medical school admissions. There was a twenty five year period from 1980 - 2005 where the number of residency slots was flatlined. We'll be paying for that for a few more decades.
I don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing. Even with the fewer slots, you get doctors who really shouldn't be doctors. Do the fewer slots keep the good humans from becoming doctors or will increasing the slots lead to even more bad doctors?

Nov 17, 2019
There are places where that's a non-issue as you can just install a water pump to pull ground water. Not sure if you have that option.
At a cost of potentially many thousands of dollars. Well drilling ain't cheap at all. They charge per so many feet whether they hit water or not. They get down 150 -200 feet and are still dry, you have to decide to pull up and pay for nothing, or keep going and maybe still be dry.

And there's no guarantee that a well that's good today will be good next week.

That isn't even going into the cost of a well pump and wiring or the maintenance, or cost of power to run the well pump.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing. Even with the fewer slots, you get doctors who really shouldn't be doctors. Do the fewer slots keep the good humans from becoming doctors or will increasing the slots lead to even more bad doctors?

It's all about the benjamins...control the supply, you control the price. Too many doctors will drive the price down. (medical equipment is a slightly different beast...the prices for that stuff keeps going up-up-up because technology changes and gets more expensive.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
After the tree fell in front of my building the other year, the city finally mitigated the big assed stump and just planted a tree in the last week after I requested it a couple times - been a while. This is perfect planting time in more southern climates from here, I did not think you planted too many kinds of trees in mid-December up here in NJ as the lows most nights are already in the mid-30's already, not quite freezing yet, and will start to get lower. But, I am assuming there are exceptions and that the parks & rec dept. knows what to do.

Anybody have an idea if this will do well? Is it big enough already that the root structure is advanced enough that it will be ok?

PXL_20231211_225553238~2 (Medium).jpg