What first world problem did you have today?

Page 1048 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Didn't have that particular discussion in MY biology class. But good to know. Wow.

Reactions: Ajay

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I know dog pee can nuke your lawn...leaving bare patches that can take a couple of years to "heal" by themselves. It's more about the salts than the ammonia. Ammonia will break doen into nitrates over time...the salts take a long time to dilute enough that they're no longer toxic to the plant.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I know dog pee can nuke your lawn...leaving bare patches that can take a couple of years to "heal" by themselves. It's more about the salts than the ammonia. Ammonia will break doen into nitrates over time...the salts take a long time to dilute enough that they're no longer toxic to the plant.
Plants like a certain ph level in the soil.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
After the tree fell in front of my building the other year, the city finally mitigated the big assed stump and just planted a tree in the last week after I requested it a couple times - been a while. This is perfect planting time in more southern climates from here, I did not think you planted too many kinds of trees in mid-December up here in NJ as the lows most nights are already in the mid-30's already, not quite freezing yet, and will start to get lower. But, I am assuming there are exceptions and that the parks & rec dept. knows what to do.

Anybody have an idea if this will do well? Is it big enough already that the root structure is advanced enough that it will be ok?

View attachment 90293
I would check with your HOA about having it watered regularly. During warmer or dry weather most newly planted trees need watering every other day for about a year before they are self sustaining.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Plants like a certain ph level in the soil.
Of course. Some plants/trees can stand a wider range in pH, while others are more...tempermental about it. Abit of occasional dog urine isn't USUALLY problematic...but repeated and regular "doses" can be.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
After the tree fell in front of my building the other year, the city finally mitigated the big assed stump and just planted a tree in the last week after I requested it a couple times - been a while. This is perfect planting time in more southern climates from here, I did not think you planted too many kinds of trees in mid-December up here in NJ as the lows most nights are already in the mid-30's already, not quite freezing yet, and will start to get lower. But, I am assuming there are exceptions and that the parks & rec dept. knows what to do.

Anybody have an idea if this will do well? Is it big enough already that the root structure is advanced enough that it will be ok?

View attachment 90293
Fall planting is fine. Tree is dormant. It should wake back up in spring.

Reactions: lxskllr

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Not really a problem but...just turned off Ma's landline. Kind of hurt my feels. They've had that # since 1961. I remember learning it in kindergarten.

Boomer, I'm not giving you her cell.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Not really a problem but...just turned off Ma's landline. Kind of hurt my feels. They've had that # since 1961. I remember learning it in kindergarten.

How about her "other" cell number...you know...her call girl line?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I think it's one way to dissuade people from wasting water since it's not an infinite resource. There are places where that's a non-issue as you can just install a water pump to pull ground water. Not sure if you have that option.

It's actually the other way around, by charging this much for it, I'm very tempted to waste more. May as well get my money's worth. I've humored the idea of setting up some small turbines to generate power. If I'm paying as much for water as I am for hydro I may as well generate power with it. Not really sure how much power I could realistically generate though. I'd probably do a Tesla turbine as they are the easiest to build but may not be as efficient as an actual hydro turbine. Doing multiple low pressure turbines might be easier too.

I looked into getting a meter, since that's an option, but you still need to pre pay for a very large amount that you pay for whether or not you use it. So bill still ends up being like $60 minimum. Still cheaper than the $110+ I'm paying now though.

Timmins is also not THAT small, around 44k people. There are much smaller towns in the area with much lower taxes. The problem is our counsel is terrible at managing funds and makes terrible financial decisions all the time which we pay for over decades so it's all cumulative. They spend millions all the time on stuff like it's nothing. They need to consider shedding lot of overhead but nobody wants cuts, as much as they're needed.

Reactions: highland145

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
At a cost of potentially many thousands of dollars. Well drilling ain't cheap at all. They charge per so many feet whether they hit water or not. They get down 150 -200 feet and are still dry, you have to decide to pull up and pay for nothing, or keep going and maybe still be dry.

And there's no guarantee that a well that's good today will be good next week.

That isn't even going into the cost of a well pump and wiring or the maintenance, or cost of power to run the well pump.

Those costs are one time though. Say you put in a system and it cost 30 grand now. After that it costs little to nothing to run it. You would think the city water would be cheaper as a bigger system should in theory be more efficient than multiple small systems but it just goes up every year anyway. It should actually be going down as time goes on since it should be paid off.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

My mom cancelled the house line a couple years ago, it feels weird knowing that my childhood number is no longer active. But I don't blame her. It was only telemarketers calling that number. We mostly just text now.

Jul 27, 2020
Turns out I was logged in to the wrong server so all is good.
It isn't always a happy ending when that happens. We had a few hours of downtime once coz some developer logged into the production DB thinking it was UAT and then wiped it. Restored from backup and then it had to be brought back to its previous state by manually inputting everything that had been done since the last backup. Thankfully it was just a few hours of work.

Nov 17, 2019
Those costs are one time though. Say you put in a system and it cost 30 grand now. After that it costs little to nothing to run it. You would think the city water would be cheaper as a bigger system should in theory be more efficient than multiple small systems but it just goes up every year anyway. It should actually be going down as time goes on since it should be paid off.
$30K over 30 years (360 months) is $83 per month and that's ONLY the drilling and installation costs (if they were to run that high). That doesn't include any of the other costs I mentioned which could easily add another $10-15 month or more.

My water bill is under $30 for the first 1,000 gallons and about $10 for each additional 1,000 gallons.