Verizon/Amazon To Team Up, Offer Competition in Satellite ISP field

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I don't whine. I think the ones calling for crapping on rural areas and cutting them off from society just because they live in a rural area are elitist snobs that think they are better than everyone else that isn't just like themselves.
LOL! Telling rural sponges to rejoin society and do something productive with their lives is now, "cutting them off from society".

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
LOL! Telling rural sponges to rejoin society and do something productive with their lives is now, "cutting them off from society".

So if you live in a rural area you are not a part of society and you're a sponge?

Painting with a pretty large brush aren't you?

What about all of those society rejects and sponges on the streets of our major cities. I guess maybe pooping on the sidewalks and leaving drug needles all over is good.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
So if you live in a rural area you are not a part of society and you're a sponge?

Painting with a pretty large brush aren't you?

What about all of those society rejects and sponges on the streets of our major cities. I guess maybe pooping on the sidewalks and leaving drug needles all over is good.
You're really determined to change the subject, aren't you? It's almost like you know that the decades long massive transfer of wealth from the cities to rural dwellers is indefensible. Imagine how many urban homeless could be helped with the money propping up the rural lifestyle. But, you don't really give a shit about the urban homeless, do you?

Reactions: ch33zw1z

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I don't whine. I think the ones calling for crapping on rural areas and cutting them off from society just because they live in a rural area are elitist snobs that think they are better than everyone else that isn't just like themselves.
Nobody wants to cut people off just because they are rural. You keep ignoring my posts about why because you want to continue to be an ignoramus. It's time to cut a bunch of ignorant fascist anti democratic racists off since they have shown their true colors.

Reactions: hal2kilo

VW MAN

Jun 27, 2020
I'm not mad at you.

I really don't care about you at all.
First you say you feel sorry for me then you say you don't care about me...you can't do both moron. But your fascists brain manipulated by your fascist handlers has zero capacity to comprehend that. Fuck you fascist!

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You're really determined to change the subject, aren't you? It's almost like you know that the decades long massive transfer of wealth from the cities to rural dwellers is indefensible. Imagine how many urban homeless could be helped with the money propping up the rural lifestyle. But, you don't really give a shit about the urban homeless, do you?

No more than you give a shit about the hard working rural people. Why should the urban homeless be any more valuable than the people that choose to live a rural lifestyle?

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Nobody wants to cut people off just because they are rural. You keep ignoring my posts about why because you want to continue to be an ignoramus. It's time to cut a bunch of ignorant fascist anti democratic racists off since they have shown their true colors.

Yeah right. I'll quote you: " Now we know, so fuck them. What is so hard to get? "

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yeah right. I'll quote you: " Now we know, so fuck them. What is so hard to get? "

What's the problem. "Fuck your feels" "fuck the libs" is literally the last 5 years of conservatives playbook.

Are you saying that this is unacceptable and you're not voting for it?

Doubtful.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Exactly, now we know who they are, so fuck them. It's not about being rural, it's about being mostly shitty people. That would vote for Trump happily a third time and be happy when he overthrows democracy, which he tried to do already, and will try to do again if given the chance. But keep on being a willful ignoramus defend people that support the overthrow of democracy, among other terrible shit.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Tesla got a $465 million dollar loan from the Obama admin to help start Model S production, with favorable loan terms, helping to kickstart his company. But he doesn't want to get taxed by the government.

What a hypocritical dbag.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
What's the problem. "Fuck your feels" "fuck the libs" is literally the last 5 years of conservatives playbook.

Are you saying that this is unacceptable and you're not voting for it?

Doubtful.

Voting ???

Yoou obviously didn't comprehend my posted response to MrSquished.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Exactly, now we know who they are, so fuck them. It's not about being rural, it's about being mostly shitty people. That would vote for Trump happily a third time and be happy when he overthrows democracy, which he tried to do already, and will try to do again if given the chance. But keep on being a willful ignoramus defend people that support the overthrow of democracy, among other terrible shit.

I have never defended the overthrow of democracy.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I have never defended the overthrow of democracy.

I never said you did. But you state I am now against funding rural folks things just because they are rural, when I have actually been for funding all those things in the past, and now I am against it because they support a man who tried to overthrow and delegitimize democracy, and they support a party who is putting into place the machinations to overthrow democracy next time around. What don't you understand?

Reactions: hal2kilo

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Tesla got a $465 million dollar loan from the Obama admin to help start Model S production, with favorable loan terms, helping to kickstart his company. But he doesn't want to get taxed by the government.

What a hypocritical dbag.

Don't talk about Tesla because you have no clue about the company. Tesla paid off the government loan early. With interest. Like 10 years early.

https://money.cnn.com/2013/05/22/autos/tesla-loan-repayment/index.html

Tesla was just about the only good loan given out by the Obama Administration for the clean energy program. Why don't you find out if Ford and GM paid back their loans yet? Or are we going to have to write off billions again for supporting these loser companies? They received lot more money than Tesla which they promised for EV and then used that money to fund their ICE developments. And why don't you ask Fisker and other bankrupt companies if they paid back US government and taxpayers?

Obama admin giving that loan to Tesla was the best money US spent in ages. Not only did the US government received back 100% of their money along with interest, Tesla created hundred thousands of jobs in this country and around the world and added billions and soon to be trillions to the world GDP. I can't think of a better return for the money than the return US got for giving that loan to Tesla in the early years. It reshaped our country and world and accelerated world's transition to sustainable energy by at least 25-50 years if not more. That loan reshaped and changed world history.

I don't know why you keep thinking Elon doesn't pay tax or doesn't want to. Like I said, he's paying max 54% tax rate next year and will pay over $10 billion. That is gigantic sum.

What he doesn't want to pay and rightfully so is this stupid idea of taxing unrealized gains. Anyone who support this unrealized gain tax is fucking moron and communist. Change the fucking death tax law to eliminate the step-up basis. That simple change will guarantee all taxes are eventually paid.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I never said you did. But you state I am now against funding rural folks things just because they are rural, when I have actually been for funding all those things in the past, and now I am against it because they support a man who tried to overthrow and delegitimize democracy, and they support a party who is putting into place the machinations to overthrow democracy next time around. What don't you understand?

So everyone in rural America does this?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Don't talk about Tesla because you have no clue about the company. Tesla paid off the government loan early. With interest. Like 10 years early.

https://money.cnn.com/2013/05/22/autos/tesla-loan-repayment/index.html

Tesla was just about the only good loan given out by the Obama Administration for the clean energy program. Why don't you find out if Ford and GM paid back their loans yet? Or are we going to have to write off billions again for these loser companies? They received lot more money than Tesla which they promised for EV and then used that money to fund their ICE developments. And why don't you ask Fisker and other bankrupt companies if they paid back US government and taxpayers?

Obama admin giving that loan to Tesla was the best money US spent in ages. Not only did the US government received back 100% of their money along with interest, Tesla has created hundred thousands of jobs in this country and around the world and added billions and soon to be trillions to the world GDP. I can't think of a better return for the money than the return US got for giving that loan to Tesla in the early years. It reshaped our country and world and accelerated world's transition to sustainable energy by at least 25-50 years if not more. That loan reshaped and changed world history.

I don't know why you keep thinking Elon doesn't pay tax or doesn't want to. Like I said, he's paying max 54% tax rate next year and will pay over $10 billion. That is gigantic sum.

What he doesn't want to pay and rightfully so is this stupid idea of taxing unrealized gains. Anyone who support this unrealized gain tax is fucking moron and communist. Change the fucking death tax law to eliminate the step-up basis. That simple change will guarantee all taxes are eventually paid.

Where did I say it was a bad investment? Where did I say Tesla didn't pay it back? I like Tesla as a company for what they are developing product wise for sure. Your whole rant was pointless.

My point that flew over your head is that Musk did not hesitate to use a favorable government program, money raised by taxes, to help further his business. It seemed like an obvious point but it clearly flew over your head, because it's so far up Elon's ass.

If he was so anti government getting involved in people's and business's lives, which he states as his position, he sure was quick to have the government get involved in his Business's life when it was good to him. Among other government programs btw. And he doesn't want to pay a fair share back to the society and government that has helped him in so many ways to go along with his own great innovative skills.

As far as taxes, I'm not specifically for the unrealized capital gains tax, but I am for ways to make the ultra wealthy pay more. Elon would be against all of of those ways.

Calling me a communist lol

You are an intellectual joke. Stick to stocks, you are good at that

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
The problem is they aren't actually unrealized. He takes out massive loans against his gains, so he realizes them in a tax sheltered way. I'd be fine with banning using unrealized gains as collateral, but I'm sure you don't like that idea either.

Also the loans to Tesla did what they were intended to do. The government can't fund those types of loans without taxes. Elon has obviously massively benefited from government spending, he should pony up and pay his taxes.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
The problem is they aren't actually unrealized. He takes out massive loans against his gains, so he realizes them in a tax sheltered way. I'd be fine with banning using unrealized gains as collateral, but I'm sure you don't like that idea either.

Also the loans to Tesla did what they were intended to do. The government can't fund those types of loans without taxes. Elon has obviously massively benefited from government spending, he should pony up and pay his taxes.
Until you sell, it's unrealized. That's according to our current tax law.

Elon is using basic leverage strategy. It's not much different than what many other investors do when they take out margin debt to buy more stocks and other investments. Elon takes out these small margin loans to pay his living expenses but most of the borrowed money is spent to finance his other companies like SpaceX, Boring Company, Neuralink, and other side businesses/projects. He's using leverage to compound his return on his investments in other companies. Not to live extravagant luxurious lifestyle like some of the other billionaires.

I don't understand why you and others are upset at this. You and I can do the same but on smaller scale. People do it all the time. Currently in the US, the amount of margin debt outstanding in the stock market is around $900 billion. The means whole lot of people are borrowing money using their stock as collateral to buy more stocks and pay for other stuff. But all this is not risk-free. You have to pay interest on the debt and you face potential margin call and can lose more money than you have if the market decline and your bets turn against you. There are plenty rich people who lost everything by using margin and leveraging up. Most recent big example is Bill Hwang and Archegos Capital.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...-archegos-capital-lost-20-billion-in-two-days

Bill Hwang lost $20 billion in 2 days and lost everything to margin call when his massive levered bets went against him. Leverage helps you compound on the way up but can quickly kill you on the way down.

Elon risked his entire fortune on Tesla and SpaceX and nearly went broke many times. Most recently, he was close to getting margin call back in spring of 2019 when Tesla shares dropped to $180 pre-split price. TSLAQ and the shorts were all trying their hardest to drop Tesla stock price below $180 because Elon faced margin call at around $130. If TSLA would've broken $180, it would've dropped quickly to $130 and triggered massive margin call for Elon. And if Elon received margin call and had to sell some of his shares, it could've caused domino effect on Tesla stock price and death downward spiral for the company. Elon could've gone broke and lost everything he built. That's the whole reason Adam Jonas of Morgan Stanley came out with that bullshit pre-split $10 TSLA price target and held that ridiculous conference call when TSLA was on that death downward march. He was trying to help Jim Chanos, David Einhorn, Bill Gates, and others who were short TSLA and create massive payday for them. Too bad for them their slimy plan to kill Tesla by relentlessly shorting it failed and eventually blew up in their face.

Many people use home equity loans as their personal piggybank. They take out home equity loans and lines for home improvements but many times, it's to finance their lifestyles and other purchases because they're getting favorable terms on the loan rates. They're effectively doing the same thing Elon Musk is doing except he is using his stock and people are using their homes. And people are writing off the home equity loan interest on their personal taxes and double dipping while Elon and I can't write off the margin interest we pay on our stock loans. Where is your outrage and anger at all the Americans who are using and abusing home equity loans? Do you want to ban this practice too? Home equity loan is basically realizing the gain on the property value while not paying any income taxes on that realized gains while getting tax deduction to top.

Elon does pay his taxes. Yes, Elon has massively benefitted from government incentives. But so have the governments. Think about all the massive wealth Elon has created for his employees, shareholders, suppliers, and anyone doing businesses with him and his companies. The amount of money he's saving NASA and not having us rely on Russia to get us to space. He's creating things and building value for him, his shareholders, and society. And he's paying his taxes under the current law. You want to make sure he and other rich people pay their taxes? Eliminate the death step up basis loophole that exist today so the rich people can't pass on their assets with step up basis. But Elon is going to spend all his money and fortune to build sustainable city on Mars. Or die trying.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Until you sell, it's unrealized. That's according to our current tax law.

Elon is using basic leverage strategy. It's not much different than what many other investors do when they take out margin debt to buy more stocks and other investments. Elon takes out these small margin loans to pay his living expenses but most of the borrowed money is spent to finance his other companies like SpaceX, Boring Company, Neuralink, and other side businesses/projects. He's using leverage to compound his return on his investments in other companies. Not to live extravagant luxurious lifestyle like some of the other billionaires.

I don't understand why you and others are upset at this. You and I can do the same but on smaller scale. People do it all the time. Currently in the US, the amount of margin debt outstanding in the stock market is around $900 billion. The means whole lot of people are borrowing money using their stock as collateral to buy more stocks and pay for other stuff. But all this is not risk-free. You have to pay interest on the debt and you face potential margin call and can lose more money than you have if the market decline and your bets turn against you. There are plenty rich people who lost everything by using margin and leveraging up. Most recent big example is Bill Hwang and Archegos Capital.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...-archegos-capital-lost-20-billion-in-two-days

Bill Hwang lost $20 billion in 2 days and lost everything to margin call when his massive levered bets went against him. Leverage helps you compound on the way up but can quickly kill you on the way down.

Elon risked his entire fortune on Tesla and SpaceX and nearly went broke many times. Most recently, he was close to getting margin call back in spring of 2019 when Tesla shares dropped to $180 pre-split price. TSLAQ and the shorts were all trying their hardest to drop Tesla stock price below $180 because Elon faced margin call at around $130. If TSLA would've broken $180, it would've dropped quickly to $130 and triggered massive margin call for Elon. And if Elon received margin call and had to sell some of his shares, it could've caused domino effect on Tesla stock price and death downward spiral for the company. Elon could've gone broke and lost everything he built. That's the whole reason Adam Jonas of Morgan Stanley came out with that bullshit pre-split $10 TSLA price target and held that ridiculous conference call when TSLA was on that death downward march. He was trying to help Jim Chanos, David Einhorn, Bill Gates, and others who were short TSLA and create massive payday for them. Too bad for them their slimy plan to kill Tesla by relentlessly shorting it failed and eventually blew up in their face.

Many people use home equity loans as their personal piggybank. They take out home equity loans and lines for home improvements but many times, it's to finance their lifestyles and other purchases because they're getting favorable terms on the loan rates. They're effectively doing the same thing Elon Musk is doing except he is using his stock and people are using their homes. And people are writing off the home equity loan interest on their personal taxes and double dipping while Elon and I can't write off the margin interest we pay on our stock loans. Where is your outrage and anger at all the Americans who are using and abusing home equity loans? Do you want to ban this practice too? Home equity loan is basically realizing the gain on the property value while not paying any income taxes on that realized gains while getting tax deduction to top.

Elon does pay his taxes. Yes, Elon has massively benefitted from government incentives. But so have the governments. Think about all the massive wealth Elon has created for his employees, shareholders, suppliers, and anyone doing businesses with him and his companies. The amount of money he's saving NASA and not having us rely on Russia to get us to space. He's creating things and building value for him, his shareholders, and society. And he's paying his taxes under the current law. You want to make sure he and other rich people pay their taxes? Eliminate the death step up basis loophole that exist today so the rich people can't pass on their assets with step up basis. But Elon is going to spend all his money and fortune to build sustainable city on Mars. Or die trying.

Listen, it's great that you are in a cult of Elon. I don't think anybody has criticized his business acumen and smarts in creating forward looking products that are good for society - I like electric cars, solar, satellite internet, getting shit into space. It's all great. And I don't give a flying fuck about the games the uber rich play in the stock market that is basically a play thing and casino for the uber wealthy. I don't think anybody cares. And wanting Elon to pay his fair share, it's not a target on Elon himself, but since you are like a fanboy - kinda like a teenage girl thought the Beatles were the biggest hearthrobs, that's Elon to you - this is about all of the uber wealthy. The 400 richest families in the country, and the .1% that own more than half the wealth in this country. .1% own more wealth than 99.9% of people and they pay the same or less in taxes as a percentage, and that has to change.

As of now, the top 400 families pay less in average taxes per year than a middle class family. It's insane. We don't care the current laws allow it, the point is we want to change it.

You think that the uber wealthy should pay less in taxes than people making 100K a year. We think that's insane and immoral. You don't. You love it. We disagree on basic values and morals.

The issue with Elon, in some of these specific issues, is he is all about I like to stay out of politics, and the government shouldn't make me pay my fair share, and the government should stay out of people's lives and business. But as we see, he is just fine with letting the government help his business whether is is through a direct loan to Tesla with favorable terms, or incentives to buy products he makes - but then acts indignant if that government needs more money - which would help other people and other business's in the future. He is a classic take when it's good for him, fuck everyone else later. He also refuses to criticize a draconian law in Texas that controls women's lives. He is a pure opportunist when it comes to being for or against government doing stuff. He is a hypocritical douchebag. I mean it's not debatable. And you don't care about any of it, because Elon made you lots of money, and that is the number one thing you care about in life.

Elon being worth 290 billion vs 310 is not going to affect his life at all. It will affect many many other people and businesses in the society that he thrived in, to do better. Elon gives two fucks.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Listen, it's great that you are in a cult of Elon. I don't think anybody has criticized his business acumen and smarts in creating forward looking products that are good for society - I like electric cars, solar, satellite internet, getting shit into space. It's all great. And I don't give a flying fuck about the games the uber rich play in the stock market that is basically a play thing and casino for the uber wealthy. I don't think anybody cares. And wanting Elon to pay his fair share, it's not a target on Elon himself, but since you are like a fanboy - kinda like a teenage girl thought the Beatles were the biggest hearthrobs, that's Elon to you - this is about all of the uber wealthy. The 400 richest families in the country, and the .1% that own more than half the wealth in this country. .1% own more wealth than 99.9% of people and they pay the same or less in taxes as a percentage, and that has to change.

As of now, the top 400 families pay less in average taxes per year than a middle class family. It's insane. We don't care the current laws allow it, the point is we want to change it.

You think that the uber wealthy should pay less in taxes than people making 100K a year. We think that's insane and immoral. You don't. You love it. We disagree on basic values and morals.

The issue with Elon, in some of these specific issues, is he is all about I like to stay out of politics, and the government shouldn't make me pay my fair share, and the government should stay out of people's lives and business. But as we see, he is just fine with letting the government help his business whether is is through a direct loan to Tesla with favorable terms, or incentives to buy products he makes - but then acts indignant if that government needs more money - which would help other people and other business's in the future. He is a classic take when it's good for him, fuck everyone else later. He also refuses to criticize a draconian law in Texas that controls women's lives. He is a pure opportunist when it comes to being for or against government doing stuff. He is a hypocritical douchebag. I mean it's not debatable. And you don't care about any of it, because Elon made you lots of money, and that is the number one thing you care about in life.

Elon being worth 290 billion vs 310 is not going to affect his life at all. It will affect many many other people and businesses in the society that he thrived in, to do better. Elon gives two fucks.
It's no point arguing with you. Mark Twain was 100% right about arguing with an idiot. You don't even know basic math. In what universe is 40.8% federal tax rate Elon is paying lower than 24% federal tax rate someone who's making $100k would pay? Show or tell me 1 person who's making $100k and paying 40.8% federal tax rate.

Elon pays 40.8% federal. I pay 40.8% federal. No middle class person pays even close to 40.8% federal. That person doesn't exist. So quit lying about you paying more. It's impossible. 40.8% > 24%. At least in this universe. Maybe in your crazy stupid mind, 24% > 40.8%.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It's no point arguing with you. Mark Twain was 100% right about arguing with an idiot. You don't even know basic math. In what universe is 40.8% federal tax rate Elon is paying lower than 24% federal tax rate someone who's making $100k would pay? Show or tell me 1 person who's making $100k and paying 40.8% federal tax rate.

Elon pays 40.8% federal. I pay 40.8% federal. No middle class person pays even close to 40.8% federal. That person doesn't exist. So quit lying about you paying more. It's impossible. 40.8% > 24%. At least in this universe. Maybe in your crazy stupid mind, 24% > 40.8%.

I don't think you exist in reality, which, for being in a cult of personality to Elon, makes sense. You can't defend Elon being a hypocrite because you worship him, I mean I pointed it out clear as day.

As far as tax rate, you don't know what you are talking about. Between all the loopholes and how the ultra rich can maneuver in the tax system with all their high priced accountants playing the tax code that benefits the wealthiest, nobody pays that. The most recent studies show that the uber wealthy pay maybe just over 20% of their income in taxes, at best. As Warren Buffet said, and he knows way better than you, as you are a pauper compared to him, the wealthiest have won the tax war.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

40.8% on wages. Not dividends, not capital gains, not "unrealized" gains that have been realized via leverage.

According to you Elon is paid minimum wage and he doesn't realize his gains, or get dividends for his main investments. So he isn't paying anywhere near 40.8% lol.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
40.8% on wages. Not dividends, not capital gains, not "unrealized" gains that have been realized via leverage.

According to you Elon is paid minimum wage and he doesn't realize his gains, or get dividends for his main investments. So he isn't paying anywhere near 40.8% lol.
No, short term capital gain is taxed as ordinary income. And ordinary income max federal tax rate is 37%. Plus there is 3.8 NIIT tax for investment income over $250,000 which Elon, me, and many other people pay. 3.8% NIIT is Obama tax. So the federal rate is 40.8%.

https://www.hffinancial.com/tesla-stock/

This above blog post explains Elon Musk tax dilemma for next year. The author of the article has couple things wrong but the main point is Elon will have to pay 54% tax (federal + CA state) on those Tesla stock options he exercises. Elon has never sold Tesla shares other than to pay taxes on his option exercises. He has only purchased additional Tesla shares.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
No, short term capital gain is taxed as ordinary income. And ordinary income max federal tax rate is 37%. Plus there is 3.8 NIIT tax for investment income over $250,000 which Elon, me, and many other people pay. 3.8% NIIT is Obama tax. So the federal rate is 40.8%.

https://www.hffinancial.com/tesla-stock/

This above blog post explains Elon Musk tax dilemma for next year. The author of the article has couple things wrong but the main point is Elon will have to pay 54% tax (federal + CA state) on those Tesla stock options he exercises. Elon has never sold Tesla shares other than to pay taxes on his option exercises. He has only purchased additional Tesla shares.

Short term capital gains is a small piece of their pie - the articles I posted clearly show the effective tax rate they pay, and why Warren Buffet clearly admits the tax code is completely stacked in their favor and they pay less percentage wise in taxes than his middle class employees. But you want to ignore reality because it suits your narrative and worship of Elon. Who has been shown to be a total hypocrite about government involvement in business and personal life - he likes it when it's good for his bottom line, otherwise he doesn't.