Valve's Steamworks makes DRM/Crippleware Obsolete

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Irish
1) In the "Securom on Games" thread you dismissed posters' accounts as "unverifiable personal testimonies" and yet you are now urging posters to provide as much personal information as possible. Do you feel that this apparently contradictory stance constitutes "trolling", an accustion that you repeatedly level against me and others? Why do you constantly change the goal-posts when making demands of other posters on this thread?
No, because when that person is actively posting about the experiences they may or may not have had and is able to clarify, its no longer "unverifiable" is it?

2) I would be extremely interested to hear your response to each of Golgatha's posts addressing your requests for clarification and further information:
Feel free to read the reply, and why it was so easy to determine none of you actually know how SecuROM works.

Do you feel that you have been proven wrong (again) in each of these instances?
How would I be proven wrong? When have I once advocated Steam's form of DRM over another and when have I claimed you could resell a game on Steam?

3) Tk149 has stated the following a few posts back:

"For the record, I am one of those people who had a problem with Securom. The problem was resolved after a week's worth of back and forth emails with Securom tech support. Their fix was to (finally!) tell me to download a patch from Microsoft that specifically addressed Securom issues. Why the heck didn't they mention this first, or on their website? I will never purchase a Securom game again."

Is this "FUD, BS, misinformation" or an "unverifiable personal testimony"? Do you acknowledge the validity of this post, or does this user form a part of the, in your words, 1% of people who are experiencing problems? Alternatively, is this exactly the kind of personal information you are now requesting?
Again, I've never once claimed there aren't potential problems with DRM, I've clearly stated those problems are overstated, exaggerated, and often unjustified. TK149's use of singular tense helps prove my point, I'd say.

4) Why do you repeatedly claim victory when you are proven wrong. Let me provide an example: a few posts back you attacked me for my apparent lack of knowledge with regards to the policy change on Spore activation limits. In response, I directed you to an article, which included the following paragraph:

"Few people have the time, energy, or money to fight these things out in court, though, and the fact remains that you can resell your copy of Spore. You just need to provide the buyer with the information for the account you created when first playing the game, though EA may not give buyers any more hardware activations, and the company won't promise to allow used games access to the Spore community." [my bold]

Why did you choose to ignore the highlighted section of the paragraph? Why do you repeatedly edit any statistics or statements that are contrary to your position? Do you feel that you are painting an accurate picture for other forum users by indulging in such practices?
Because I have shown you to be provably wrong on countless occasions and I did clearly show you have no clue about how SecuROM worked with Spore. You claimed SecuROM's activation limits would prevent resale, I proved that was clearly false.

The bolded portion above simply states that in a court of law where EA looked to prevent you from reselling your copy, you might not have the right to resell, but in the meantime, neither EA or SecuROM will prevent you from reselling it.

5) Are you aware that a simple CD-check does not have to involve Securom?
And you've still failed to demonstrate the tangible harm or negative impact on your system caused by SecuROM over a simple CD-check. Rumors of the vaunted CD-ROM doggie existed long before the SecuROM doggie. LOL.

6) If you state this a few posts back:

then what the hell are you arguing about? We are all, even stubborn old me, willing to put up with simple CD-checks (but not Securom). Are you now, having been cornered as a result of your own posting, going to attempt to portray yourself as someone who agreed with us all along?
Because that example is being exhibited as if it were proof EA has realized DRM doesn't work and is unnecessary, when it is still in fact DRM with SecuROM that clearly falls above your minimalist standards of a simple CD-check. You're once again contradicting yourself here, do you find that form of DRM on Sims 3 acceptable knowing it has more than a simple CD-check and uses SecuROM, or not? No need to feel cornered, just answer the question honestly (if that's possible). ;)

7) Why do you repeatedly draw a correlation between Spore sales figures and the effectiveness of its Securom, despite the fact that it was the most pirated game of the year? Do you feel that the increasingly less stringent DRM on upcoming releases and the increased number of revoke tools are evidence of the failure of previous DRM policies, or, is this once again evidence supporting your stance in previous posts?
Because the Spore figures clearly show DRM is effective, as piracy rates are lower than titles that have no DRM at all. As for how it impacts sales for Sims 3, we shall see, but I do know it will still be pirated less than if it had no DRM at all. ;)

@Golgatha, thank you for, once again, exposing chizow's attempts to spread misinformation.

@tk149, thank you for adding your voice. I apologise in advance for any name-calling directed towards you as a result of your contribution on this thread.

@mindcycle, don't get drawn into a "it was/it wasn't" Securom debate with chizow, despite what he claims, he is clearly not concerned with shedding light on this issue.
LOL shout-outs to people who have only shown as much interest in spreading misinformation as yourself, classic. And no that doesn't include tk149, as he hasn't established any such clear pattern and I have no reason to think he's lying. :)

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Golgatha
Really?! I'd wager that every game available on Steam is also illegally available via a Bittorrent client install and a quick visit to any number of torrent tracker sites. I am absolutely sure I could obtain an illegal copy of FEAR2 in one minute or less (plus download time of course), and that includes downloading and installing Bittorrent.
Yep, but you certainly can't play on Steam's servers with legit copy owners, don't get any of its benefits, don't get achievements etc. And of course, you run the risk of losing your entire Steam game library if Steam detects a cracked or pirated version on your machine. And to think some don't think Steam is DRM! :)

@chizow

I do stand corrected on one big point. When you uninstall your game, you do in fact get the authentication back, so my original argument about reselling is pretty mute. In short, I was wrong on this point.

System crashes and improper uninstalls are the only way to "lose" activations. Thankfully, the revoke tool just released allows the end user to get these back as well.
And that's certainly more than I'd expect out of those other two clowns, we're clearly making progress now. :)

However, I would still oppose SecuROM based on the fact that it stealth installs, isn't removed upon uninstalling your game, blacklists certain commercial software, and isn't mentioned on the product's packaging or in its EULA. I would also argue that it is highly ineffective at protecting IP, and only negatively effects paying customers.
Well again, you can choose alternatives or you can think of more effective methods that aren't as invasive, but DRM isn't going away.

However, you are dead wrong about activations not being used up when hardware is changed...

http://news.softpedia.com/news...Activation-64428.shtml

If I put a new piece of hardware, such as a new video card, ram, hard drive, or a new motherboard, into my computer, will I have to reactivate my game? Will this count as one of my "allowed" computers?

No. You won't have to reactivate unless you change several pieces of hardware and this will count as one of your 5 allowed computers, if reactivation is required. The revoke application we will release will make this irrelevant - as long as you revoke before you uninstall and install again, you will have no issues.
Yep I should've been more clear. You'd need a major hardware or OS update to trigger a new activation, like a completely new OS or a significant platform change. Its similar to Windows where you need to change enough minor variables or a few major variables in order to trigger the change.

Something like a motherboard and CPU change might qualify as that's the standard often used by other forms of activation, but minor changes like OS SP, video card, RAM, sound etc clearly do not, as emphasized in the quote above and what I've stated earlier.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: chizow

However, I would still oppose SecuROM based on the fact that it stealth installs, isn't removed upon uninstalling your game, blacklists certain commercial software, and isn't mentioned on the product's packaging or in its EULA. I would also argue that it is highly ineffective at protecting IP, and only negatively effects paying customers.
Well again, you can choose alternatives or you can think of more effective methods that aren't as invasive, but DRM isn't going away.

Sadly enough, I would agree DRM isn't ever going completely away.

My personal utopian view of PC games DRM is basically Steam with the ability to unauthorize and deassociate my CD-Key from my Steam account. I would also have a federal law passed stating that the DRM should be removed from the product after a period of 5 years or whenever the company discontinues support for the game, whichever comes first. During this 5 year period, I might even be willing to consent to periodic Online reactivation (say every 6 months or so). I do not feel any of these things are outrageous things to wish for, but they won't ever happen without serious discussion and/or consumer backlash. Ultimately we vote with our wallets and me not purchasing FEAR 2 (and I'd love to BTW) is probably the strongest message I can send to Warner Bros that I'm not at all happy with maintaining the status quo.

Red Irish

Mar 6, 2009
1) In the "Securom on Games" thread you dismissed posters' accounts as "unverifiable personal testimonies" and yet you are now urging posters to provide as much personal information as possible. Do you feel that this apparently contradictory stance constitutes "trolling", an accustion that you repeatedly level against me and others? Why do you constantly change the goal-posts when making demands of other posters on this thread?
No, because when that person is actively posting about the experiences they may or may not have had and is able to clarify, its no longer "unverifiable" is it?

Unconvincing

2) I would be extremely interested to hear your response to each of Golgatha's posts addressing your requests for clarification and further information:
Feel free to read the reply, and why it was so easy to determine none of you actually know how SecuROM works.

Yes, we were both mistaken on this point. However, you fail to address the fact that you supported Securom before the revoke tool was released. Moreover, the revoke tool is the result of consumer pressure, which you are clearly not exercising.

Do you feel that you have been proven wrong (again) in each of these instances?
How would I be proven wrong? When have I once advocated Steam's form of DRM over another and when have I claimed you could resell a game on Steam?

3) Tk149 has stated the following a few posts back:

"For the record, I am one of those people who had a problem with Securom. The problem was resolved after a week's worth of back and forth emails with Securom tech support. Their fix was to (finally!) tell me to download a patch from Microsoft that specifically addressed Securom issues. Why the heck didn't they mention this first, or on their website? I will never purchase a Securom game again."

Is this "FUD, BS, misinformation" or an "unverifiable personal testimony"? Do you acknowledge the validity of this post, or does this user form a part of the, in your words, 1% of people who are experiencing problems? Alternatively, is this exactly the kind of personal information you are now requesting?
Again, I've never once claimed there aren't potential problems with DRM, I've clearly stated those problems are overstated, exaggerated, and often unjustified. TK149's use of singular tense helps prove my point, I'd say.

I'll leave that one to TK149.

4) Why do you repeatedly claim victory when you are proven wrong. Let me provide an example: a few posts back you attacked me for my apparent lack of knowledge with regards to the policy change on Spore activation limits. In response, I directed you to an article, which included the following paragraph:

"Few people have the time, energy, or money to fight these things out in court, though, and the fact remains that you can resell your copy of Spore. You just need to provide the buyer with the information for the account you created when first playing the game, though EA may not give buyers any more hardware activations, and the company won't promise to allow used games access to the Spore community." [my bold]

Why did you choose to ignore the highlighted section of the paragraph? Why do you repeatedly edit any statistics or statements that are contrary to your position? Do you feel that you are painting an accurate picture for other forum users by indulging in such practices?
Because I have shown you to be provably wrong on countless occasions and I did clearly show you have no clue about how SecuROM worked with Spore. You claimed SecuROM's activation limits would prevent resale, I proved that was clearly false.

Once again, where did the revoke tool spring from and why?

The bolded portion above simply states that in a court of law where EA looked to prevent you from reselling your copy, you might not have the right to resell, but in the meantime, neither EA or SecuROM will prevent you from reselling it.

Can you accept that this is placing undue restrictions on the legitimate user?

5) Are you aware that a simple CD-check does not have to involve Securom?
And you've still failed to demonstrate the tangible harm or negative impact on your system caused by SecuROM over a simple CD-check. Rumors of the vaunted CD-ROM doggie existed long before the SecuROM doggie. LOL.

You have still failed to demonstrate that it is innocuous. Simply calling me a liar is not good enough, and I expect more from you.

6) If you state this a few posts back:

then what the hell are you arguing about? We are all, even stubborn old me, willing to put up with simple CD-checks (but not Securom). Are you now, having been cornered as a result of your own posting, going to attempt to portray yourself as someone who agreed with us all along?
Because that example is being exhibited as if it were proof EA has realized DRM doesn't work and is unnecessary, when it is still in fact DRM with SecuROM that clearly falls above your minimalist standards of a simple CD-check. You're once again contradicting yourself here, do you find that form of DRM on Sims 3 acceptable knowing it has more than a simple CD-check and uses SecuROM, or not? No need to feel cornered, just answer the question honestly (if that's possible). ;)

As I have stated before, if it has Securom, I won't install it (the Sims isn't my thing anyway). No, I don't find it acceptable. Please clarify why it still has to be Securom? Surely a simple CD-check (as in Oblivion) would serve the same purpose and keep both the companies and potential clients ("clowns"/rabid misinformers such as myself) happy.

7) Why do you repeatedly draw a correlation between Spore sales figures and the effectiveness of its Securom, despite the fact that it was the most pirated game of the year? Do you feel that the increasingly less stringent DRM on upcoming releases and the increased number of revoke tools are evidence of the failure of previous DRM policies, or, is this once again evidence supporting your stance in previous posts?
Because the Spore figures clearly show DRM is effective, as piracy rates are lower than titles that have no DRM at all. As for how it impacts sales for Sims 3, we shall see, but I do know it will still be pirated less than if it had no DRM at all. ;)

DRM may or may not be effective, but how can the most pirated game of the year have lower piracy rates than other titles? You are reading percentage in comparison to sales, I am reading overall illegal downloads, who is right? Once again, why does it have to be Securom? Let's assume that I am misinformed and that Securom is entirely innocent, why not simply use a CD-check that does not include Securom to keep me and many others happy?

@Golgatha, thank you for, once again, exposing chizow's attempts to spread misinformation.

@tk149, thank you for adding your voice. I apologise in advance for any name-calling directed towards you as a result of your contribution on this thread.

@mindcycle, don't get drawn into a "it was/it wasn't" Securom debate with chizow, despite what he claims, he is clearly not concerned with shedding light on this issue.
LOL shout-outs to people who have only shown as much interest in spreading misinformation as yourself, classic. And no that doesn't include tk149, as he hasn't established any such clear pattern and I have no reason to think he's lying. :)

At least you have had the good judgment to spare tk149.
Chizow, at times we may be mistaken, I have yet to see you admit as much and yet we have made convincing arguments against you on numerous occassions. We are not trying to misinform, we are trying to improve the gaming experience on the platform and that means keeping DRM to a minimum.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003

Red Irish

Mar 6, 2009
For my part, I have presented the case against Securom to the Defensor del Pueblo [Spanish version of the ombudsman] and two Spanish Consumer Rights Associations. Strangely enough, the ombudsman replied back the other day and said that they had admitted the case, would be making further inquiries and would keep me updated. They did not refer to me as a clown, misinformed, a spreader of BS or a liar, which was refreshing.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Originally posted by: RyanPaulShaffer
People are still arguing with that troll chizow? Goodness, talk about an exercise in futility!

Yeah, that is true. lol At least he keeps the topic alive since it's an important one IMO, and that's better than nothing.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008

You're right. The only reason I reply at all is because it's humorous to me to watch him dig himself deeper into a hole of his own making. Especially after earlier comments from him like the one Golgatha recently posted.

Most people still following this thread already realize his arguments are based largely on assumption, so the legitimacy of his points fly out the window for the most part. Like I said in the above post, if nothing else he's helping to keep this important topic active, and for that I thank him. So to respond, if I may, to his post on the thread Golgatha linked to..

The grassroots efforts of the vocal minority, by people who still believe consumers should have rights which are in balance with the rights of corporations to protect their intellectual property, have benefited me directly and I am thankful for their efforts.

You're welcome. ;)

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: jbourne77
Originally posted by: skace
Originally posted by: jbourne77
No.

The service went down for a few hours and then came back up. This happens occasionally, which is to be expected. What is NOT to be expected, however, is to have Steam designed to lock you out of your programs when it can't phone home. I purchase(d) games through Steam whenever possible, and to not be able to access the majority of my games library through no fault of my own really sucks.

The least they could do is build in some sort of grace period. For instance, if Steam wants to re-validate your credentials and it can't contact the mothership, then you have 7 days to sort it out. Simply shutting down the entire library is ridiculous.

Crazy, I've never had that happen and my account has some serious hours on it. For what it's worth, I remember back when HL used "WON" over Steam. Guess what happened when WON was down? You couldn't connect to legit servers. Steam has never been down anywhere near the times WON went down (which were not frequent in any respect).

It's not that I don't believe you, I just feel that if Valve was having some sort of "rolling brownout" type network disconnect on any sort of frequent basis, I'd have come across it probably more than you have by this point. And yet it's never once inconvenienced me.

And yes lupi, let's compare Steam to Nazis. Great.

It's really sad that possibly one of the best things to happen to small time PC developers since, well, the invention of the PC itself, has so many complainers. Luckily, you're in the minority. Steam picking up pace is a good thing for everyone. I hope they one day sort out reselling, however I don't consider it a priority. And reselling is one of the only valid complaints I've seen.

It's great that you haven't had any problems with it, but it doesn't change the fact that if you did, you wouldn't be able to access your games. The real problem here isn't network unavailability; it's the consequences of network unavailability.

Your complaints are totally valid. I'm generally a supporter of steam. I like not having to track the disks, game settings following you, no cd swapping, friends system, etc. But it has problems! Even when I had cable, steam could be annoying sometimes. Now that I'm stuck on dialup for the time being, it can be a royal pain in the ass. "Steam servers are unavailable" because it timed out, shitty or non-existant resume on updates and of course, you have to jump through hoops to play offline. Your grace period idea is a good one.

Oh, and the auto updates are great....except when they're not! There should be more options controling updates. Like, when I go to play a game and there's a update available and I'm online it should give me the option to play without updating. Maybe I want to play RIGHT NOW and not try out your latest patch for you. And, given the fact valve has a nasty, NASTY habit of using their users as patch beta testers or dumping a game killing patch on your ass with no warning I should be able to roll back updates. Valve is generally good about quickly releasing a fix for their fix that fucked everything up...but if I just want to play HL2 single player I'd rather not be locked out of my game because some tard dropped a patch on friday night that hoses things and then jets off for the weekend.

In short: Give me more control and I'll accept some of your annoying policies. I'm used to having to do some tweaking and work to play. I'm not used to some one cutting off my hands after they destroy things so I can't even fix them myself!

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Does this mean you're actually advocating a situation wherein we acquire licences and rent rather than purchase our games? I don't want you to accuse me of misquoting you.
Once again, where do I advocate any form of DRM over another? I've already clearly stated I prefer SecuROM over Steam or any "rental" or "license" form of DRM, which may come as a shocking revelation to you I suppose, but not to the overwhelming majority of people who have absolutely no problems whatsoever with SecuROM and find it less restrictive and less invasive in many ways than the alternatives.

The point is that chizow was arguing in favour of Securom even before this "just released" revoke tool was made available and that this tool has only been made avaialble as a result of pressure from posters such as ourselves.
Just released? The revoke tools were promised at launch and delivered a few months afterwards for games like Spore and Warhead. Spore Revoke Tool released Dec 18. Just shows you're more interested in spreading misinformation rather than the facts as usual. ;)

Yes, it can be frustrating, but I refuse to throw in the towel. Hopefully we can convince him/her that our intentions are to improve the gaming experience on the pc for everyone, rather than serving up the entire industry to pirates on a platter. Although, I am not betting on it.

In any event, whether we like it or not, he/she does make some (very few) valid points and, if nothing else, debating with him/her reveals the mindset behind the darker side of security.
Oh believe me, I certainly appreciated this opportunity to adjust my BS meter er, establish credibility for someone who has little posting history here. ;)

Unconvincing
Not suprising. :)

Yes, we were both mistaken on this point. However, you fail to address the fact that you supported Securom before the revoke tool was released. Moreover, the revoke tool is the result of consumer pressure, which you are clearly not exercising.
No, you were mistaken, I was unclear. But as the quote and my own personal experiences verify, minor hardware and OS changes do not burn installation limits or prevent you from selling such a game as you and others have falsely claimed, again proving you really have no clue how SecuROM works.

According to you its the result of the Infinite Monkey Theorem where a bunch of idiots who don't actually know how SecuROM works hit the 1-star rating button along with whatever else, ultimately resulting in the source code for the revoke tool you see today. :)

It was actually announced at launch and released months ago, probably to eliminate or reduce the need for live customer support as the function it serves is the same.

How is it undue restrictions on the legitimate user? You buy a game. You install it. You play it. You want to sell it. You uninstall it. You sell it. The game you sell is identical to the game you bought with all functionality and install limits, provided you didn't burn any of them by wiping your OS. What part is an undue restriction?

You have still failed to demonstrate that it is innocuous. Simply calling me a liar is not good enough, and I expect more from you.
Calling you a liar is good enough when you've accused SecuROM of being a root kit and malware and you can't even come up with any solid evidence to back up your point. Again, I've asked for simple evidence of any of the problems you've claimed SecuROM causes that would make you believe its a root kit or malware, and all you come up with is some BS about your disc drive that you somehow failed to mention in any of your past replies about it....

As I have stated before, if it has Securom, I won't install it (the Sims isn't my thing anyway). No, I don't find it acceptable. Please clarify why it still has to be Securom? Surely a simple CD-check (as in Oblivion) would serve the same purpose and keep both the companies and potential clients ("clowns"/rabid misinformers such as myself) happy.
LOL, I don't need to claim anything about being more than a simple CD-check. You've claimed Sims 3 is somehow a great victory for "the cause" when its still clearly DRM, still clearly SecuROM and still clearly seen as necessary, reinforcing my points that all forms of DRM are more effective, and therefore necessary than no DRM at all.

DRM may or may not be effective, but how can the most pirated game of the year have lower piracy rates than other titles? You are reading percentage in comparison to sales, I am reading overall illegal downloads, who is right? Once again, why does it have to be Securom? Let's assume that I am misinformed and that Securom is entirely innocent, why not simply use a CD-check that does not include Securom to keep me and many others happy?
We've already broken down the numbers on Spore numerous times, you've claimed DRM doesn't work because it was still the most downloaded. I've claimed it does work because it was still the 2nd best selling title (#1 simply wasn't pirated), sold more copies than were stolen, and suffered a much lower piracy rate than games with no DRM at all.

Also, it doesn't have to be SecuROM. You just attached a stigma to it and think its taboo because you don't know what it does or how it actually works. The reality of it is, many other forms of DRM are just as invasive if not moreso.

At least you have had the good judgment to spare tk149. Chizow, at times we may be mistaken, I have yet to see you admit as much and yet we have made convincing arguments against you on numerous occassions. We are not trying to misinform, we are trying to improve the gaming experience on the platform and that means keeping DRM to a minimum.
Why wouldn't I spare him? He hasn't proven to be a dishonest troll over and over again, like you and mindcycle have. :)

But anyways, if you've made a convincing argument make sure to let me know, because I haven't seen anything yet that matches that description, its really the same recycled garbage we've seen through the years.

I think I've done a pretty good job of exposing you for what you are, clearly showing you'll say and fabricate just about anything to back your weak position, while confirming with your own experiences, real or imagined, that the problems with SecuROM and DRM are in fact overstated and largely unjustified.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: mindcycle
You're right. The only reason I reply at all is because it's humorous to me to watch him dig himself deeper into a hole of his own making. Especially after earlier comments from him like the one Golgatha recently posted.

Most people still following this thread already realize his arguments are based largely on assumption, so the legitimacy of his points fly out the window for the most part. Like I said in the above post, if nothing else he's helping to keep this important topic active, and for that I thank him. So to respond, if I may, to his post on the thread Golgatha linked to..
Oh don't worry, I think anyone still following has shown how deftly I've proven the problem you claim to be "so important" is nothing more than hysteria and paranoia generated by a vocal minority that don't actually know what they're talking about. And best of all, I've done it using your own "experiences" with SecuROM. :)

Thanks for proving I don't know what I'm talking about with regard to Mass Effect, that my problems with SecuROM were imagined or fabricated, and that my problems with DRM are clearly overstated, exaggerated, and questionable at best.

You're welcome. ;)

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
lol now you're fabricating posts. This just keeps getting better and better..
LMAO the irony, given the quote you replied to was fabricated. It keeps getting better and better. :)

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
lol now you're fabricating posts. This just keeps getting better and better..
LMAO the irony, given the quote you replied to was fabricated. It keeps getting better and better. :)

Actually I said I translated, not fabricated the post ;)

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Well then clearly you haven't been paying close enough attention as I've said from the outset that I don't buy games with the intention of selling them, so any of those rights you guys claim to have influenced, real or imagined, don't benefit me to begin with. :p

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Well man, my apologizes for assuming you said that. I do mean that BTW, no tongue-in-cheek.

Well then clearly you haven't been paying close enough attention as I've said from the outset that I don't buy games with the intention of selling them, so any of those rights you guys claim to have influenced, real or imagined, don't benefit me to begin with. :p

That's great, but those of us who do like to sell our used games will keep pushing for the ability to be able to do so again. Looks like it's worked pretty well so far.. http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/...&p_lva=21197&nextlink=

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003

Resell after playing, not sell. I'm pretty sure that's what you meant anyway.

Although its an extreme example, abolition of slavery didn't benefit everyone either, but it was decided that was the right direction for the US to go many years ago. Even if it doesn't benefit you directly, I would hope you would support a fair balance of rights between consumers and corporations, based on the principle of the thing alone.

On a side note, I hope all of you folks are even more passionate about more substantial topics (global warming, etc.) in your lives. I have great hope for the world if that's the case.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
On a side note, I hope all of you folks are even more passionate about more substantial topics (global warming, etc.) in your lives. I have great hope for the world if that's the case.

I just had a hot water heating system installed in my house last year. http://www.engineeringtoolbox....ing-systems-d_475.html

It will hopefully save me some money on energy bills in the longer run, but it's also much more efficient and environmentally friendly than forced air.

I also bike to work everyday, even in the snow, which we've been getting quite a bit of lately here in Denver.. bah..

Doesn't make me the most eco friendly guy out there, but it's something I guess. The ultimate step would be to live on a hippie commune or something. But I would think they would frown upon my gaming rig and it's 650watt power supply. lol

Red Irish

Mar 6, 2009
Does this mean you're actually advocating a situation wherein we acquire licences and rent rather than purchase our games? I don't want you to accuse me of misquoting you.
Once again, where do I advocate any form of DRM over another? I've already clearly stated I prefer SecuROM over Steam or any "rental" or "license" form of DRM, which may come as a shocking revelation to you I suppose, but not to the overwhelming majority of people who have absolutely no problems whatsoever with SecuROM and find it less restrictive and less invasive in many ways than the alternatives. [my bold]

Precisely, you don't, which smells of company employee posing as a gamer.

The point is that chizow was arguing in favour of Securom even before this "just released" revoke tool was made available and that this tool has only been made avaialble as a result of pressure from posters such as ourselves.
Just released? The revoke tools were promised at launch and delivered a few months afterwards for games like Spore and Warhead. Spore Revoke Tool released Dec 18. Just shows you're more interested in spreading misinformation rather than the facts as usual. ;)

I see, so EA is not releasing a series of revoke tools in response to the fiasco they have created as a result of poor judgment when selecting their security? The backlash on all corners of the Internet has not caused them to rethink their strategy at any point and attempt to implement some damage control?

Yes, it can be frustrating, but I refuse to throw in the towel. Hopefully we can convince him/her that our intentions are to improve the gaming experience on the pc for everyone, rather than serving up the entire industry to pirates on a platter. Although, I am not betting on it.

In any event, whether we like it or not, he/she does make some (very few) valid points and, if nothing else, debating with him/her reveals the mindset behind the darker side of security.
Oh believe me, I certainly appreciated this opportunity to adjust my BS meter er, establish credibility for someone who has little posting history here. ;)

Credibility? The same credibility that you have when you repeatedly state that the only interest of the companies when using Securom is to protect their games from pirates.

Unconvincing
Not suprising. :)

Not at all

No, you were mistaken, I was unclear. But as the quote and my own personal experiences verify, minor hardware and OS changes do not burn installation limits or prevent you from selling such a game as you and others have falsely claimed, again proving you really have no clue how SecuROM works.

Chizow, you ass, when I said "we" I was referring to Golgatha and myself and actually stating that we were both mistaken. Once again, the revoke tool was only released as a result of consumer pressure, which is clearly of no concern to you. You never advocate any action on the issue of Securom and the fact that you seem happy maintaining the status quo and do not report any issues with current DRM once again reeks of company employee rather than gamer. If you are simply a gamer who has no problems with Securom, why have you accumulated extensive knowledge in this area? See what I mean? If you had no hidden agenda or no real stake in this area, you would simply ignore threads discussing the topic and carry on gaming without experiencing any problems.

According to you its the result of the Infinite Monkey Theorem where a bunch of idiots who don't actually know how SecuROM works hit the 1-star rating button along with whatever else, ultimately resulting in the source code for the revoke tool you see today. :)

Concerned consumers are now idiots? That's nice. I suppose you would explain the revoke tools in terms of the goodwill constantly evidenced by the companies rather than consumer pressure?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10046565-52.html

It was actually announced at launch and released months ago, probably to eliminate or reduce the need for live customer support as the function it serves is the same.

How is it undue restrictions on the legitimate user? You buy a game. You install it. You play it. You want to sell it. You uninstall it. You sell it. The game you sell is identical to the game you bought with all functionality and install limits, provided you didn't burn any of them by wiping your OS. What part is an undue restriction?

The part that was in bold in the original sentence, namely:

EA may not give buyers any more hardware activations, and the company won't promise to allow used games access to the Spore community

Why would EA be concerned with used game access? See the potential restrictions now?

Calling you a liar is good enough when you've accused SecuROM of being a root kit and malware and you can't even come up with any solid evidence to back up your point. Again, I've asked for simple evidence of any of the problems you've claimed SecuROM causes that would make you believe its a root kit or malware, and all you come up with is some BS about your disc drive that you somehow failed to mention in any of your past replies about it....

I am not alone in viewing Securom as a rootkit, despite all the PR from the companies, just type "Securom + Rootkit" into Google to see the number of poor misinformed idiots:

http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=12292

LOL, I don't need to claim anything about being more than a simple CD-check. You've claimed Sims 3 is somehow a great victory for "the cause" when its still clearly DRM, still clearly SecuROM and still clearly seen as necessary, reinforcing my points that all forms of DRM are more effective, and therefore necessary than no DRM at all.

Are you sure about that, or are you wrong, again? According to the post below EA are stating that it won't include Securom, does this cause you concern from a professional point of view, or will it not affect you as you are too busy gaming without encountering problems?

http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/com...b309388dfc6c17cf007a2b

We've already broken down the numbers on Spore numerous times, you've claimed DRM doesn't work because it was still the most downloaded. I've claimed it does work because it was still the 2nd best selling title (#1 simply wasn't pirated), sold more copies than were stolen, and suffered a much lower piracy rate than games with no DRM at all.

Yes, but comparing the percentage of piracy to sales is disingenuous and ignores the fact that it was the most pirated game of the year. The fact that EA is now taking a different route would suggest that they have learned their lesson. Imagine you stole 100,000 dollars from a millionaire, taking your stance, we could simply claim that the amount stolen was relatively small in relation to the millionaire's total assets. Great argument for a court case.

Also, it doesn't have to be SecuROM. You just attached a stigma to it and think its taboo because you don't know what it does or how it actually works. The reality of it is, many other forms of DRM are just as invasive if not moreso.

I am not alone. The perception is widespread throughout the community and attempts to justify the continued use of Securom have more to do with support for fat contracts between EA and Sony than the wishes of gamers.

At least you have had the good judgment to spare tk149. Chizow, at times we may be mistaken, I have yet to see you admit as much and yet we have made convincing arguments against you on numerous occassions. We are not trying to misinform, we are trying to improve the gaming experience on the platform and that means keeping DRM to a minimum.
Why wouldn't I spare him? He hasn't proven to be a dishonest troll over and over again, like you and mindcycle have. :)

To the best of my knowledge, I have never been dishonest, and where I have been proven wrong, I have stated as much.

But anyways, if you've made a convincing argument make sure to let me know, because I haven't seen anything yet that matches that description, its really the same recycled garbage we've seen through the years.

I think I've done a pretty good job of exposing you for what you are, clearly showing you'll say and fabricate just about anything to back your weak position, while confirming with your own experiences, real or imagined, that the problems with SecuROM and DRM are in fact overstated and largely unjustified.

Yes, that's why various companies are currently engaged in damage control operations to attempt to prove that they really have the wishes of the gaming community at heart. You need to wake up

Red Irish

Mar 6, 2009

The "I'm all right Jack" approach and everyone else can screw themselves. Thanks for clarifying your position.

Red Irish

Mar 6, 2009

I just had a hot water heating system installed in my house last year. http://www.engineeringtoolbox....ing-systems-d_475.html

It will hopefully save me some money on energy bills in the longer run, but it's also much more efficient and environmentally friendly than forced air.

I also bike to work everyday, even in the snow, which we've been getting quite a bit of lately here in Denver.. bah..

Doesn't make me the most eco friendly guy out there, but it's something I guess. The ultimate step would be to live on a hippie commune or something. But I would think they would frown upon my gaming rig and it's 650watt power supply. lol

Off-topic interlude

I also bike to work everyday, yeah, on a XJR 1300. We're a drop in the ocean on that score, it's industry that needs to clean up its act (China, the US, others). That said, I do what I can, although my habits can clearly be criticised on that front. I'm sure chizow could recommend a number of good communes as he has clearly been smoking some very strong stuff.

Red Irish

Mar 6, 2009
Originally posted by: PingSpike

In short: Give me more control and I'll accept some of your annoying policies. I'm used to having to do some tweaking and work to play. I'm not used to some one cutting off my hands after they destroy things so I can't even fix them myself!

I agree entirely with this sentiment, in the end, DRM is an issue of control: the companies should not been afforded too much.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Precisely, you don't, which smells of company employee posing as a gamer.
Uh right, so I guess I'm an employee of every company on your SecuROM list right? And every company that uses Steam right? Your conclusion is completely counter-intuitive, but this really comes as no surprise at this point. I guess the obvious reason doesn't have anything to do with realizing that life is full of compromises and that some laws are in place for the greater good despite being inconvenient.

I see, so EA is not releasing a series of revoke tools in response to the fiasco they have created as a result of poor judgment when selecting their security? The backlash on all corners of the Internet has not caused them to rethink their strategy at any point and attempt to implement some damage control?
No it was to appease the vocal minority that doesn't know how their DRM works to begin with in the hopes they would stop spreading lies and misinformation. As you've clearly proven, their efforts have been ineffective. :laugh:

Credibility? The same credibility that you have when you repeatedly state that the only interest of the companies when using Securom is to protect their games from pirates.
And when do I say its their only interest? I said DRM exists to protect the content of IP and copyright holders. And as I've linked in other threads, piracy just so happens to be the greatest threat to their content and the driving force behind DRM as demonstrated repeatedly in quotes and interviews with developers and industry leaders.

Not at all
Its not surprising at all that you don't understand how someone actively posting about their experiences is no longer "unverifiable" as it gives them the opportunity to make that information "verifiable". Or were you referring to your "unconvincing" attempt at verifying your experiences with the SecuROM doggie? :)

Chizow, you ass, when I said "we" I was referring to Golgatha and myself and actually stating that we were both mistaken. Once again, the revoke tool was only released as a result of consumer pressure, which is clearly of no concern to you. You never advocate any action on the issue of Securom and the fact that you seem happy maintaining the status quo and do not report any issues with current DRM once again reeks of company employee rather than gamer. If you are simply a gamer who has no problems with Securom, why have you accumulated extensive knowledge in this area? See what I mean? If you had no hidden agenda or no real stake in this area, you would simply ignore threads discussing the topic and carry on gaming without experiencing any problems.
LOL, and like I said if you weren't busy spreading lies and misinformation and just stuck to the actual issues, I'd never have to post in one of these threads.
Concerned consumers are now idiots? That's nice. I suppose you would explain the revoke tools in terms of the goodwill constantly evidenced by the companies rather than consumer pressure?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10046565-52.html
Concerned consumers should learn how something works and how it will actually impact them before they jump on the bandwagon and start parroting a bunch of lies and misinformation. Again, its plainly obvious to me (or anyone who actually understands how activation based SecuROM works) that 99% of those people posting 1 star comments on Amazon are in fact, idiots. Key words = root kit, spy ware, can't resell game, lose activations EA won't help, etc. LOL.

The part that was in bold in the original sentence, namely:

EA may not give buyers any more hardware activations, and the company won't promise to allow used games access to the Spore community

Why would EA be concerned with used game access? See the potential restrictions now?
Uh, that's what the revoke tool is for. You no longer need to go through EA for additional activations ever. You would only have ever needed to go that route if you somehow managed to burn all 3 or 5 of your install limits by nuking your OS or drastically changing your hardware without first uninstalling. See why I've been saying the problems are vastly overstated with SecuROM?

I am not alone in viewing Securom as a rootkit, despite all the PR from the companies, just type "Securom + Rootkit" into Google to see the number of poor misinformed idiots:

http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=12292
Funny you should bring this point up....
Tweak Guides PC Game Piracy Examined - SecuROM

SecuROM Discussion @ Daemon Tools Forums
You'll find a pretty lengthy exchange between a knowledgeable user named evlncrn8 and a guy named Sblade who claims to be part of the Spore class action suit. evlncrn8 systematically breaks down and debunks all of Sblade's misinformation about SecuROM being a root kit. His credibility and knowledge is confirmed in the last post by a Daemon's Tool developer, Lokutusofborg, who basically tells him to go away and to stop spreading FUD. No offense, but you come off looking a lot like Sblade as you continuously rely on misinformation and lies in your arguments only for me to expose them as such. :(

Are you sure about that, or are you wrong, again? According to the post below EA are stating that it won't include Securom, does this cause you concern from a professional point of view, or will it not affect you as you are too busy gaming without encountering problems?

http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/com...b309388dfc6c17cf007a2b
Shrug, we'll see when its released, not that it matters much either way, its still DRM with both a disc and serial key component. And again, I won't care either way, as DRM doesn't cause me problems beyond the typical inconvenience of having to enter a CD-key and insert a disc.

Yes, but comparing the percentage of piracy to sales is disingenuous and ignores the fact that it was the most pirated game of the year. The fact that EA is now taking a different route would suggest that they have learned their lesson. Imagine you stole 100,000 dollars from a millionaire, taking your stance, we could simply claim that the amount stolen was relatively small in relation to the millionaire's total assets. Great argument for a court case.
No its not disingenuous and doesn't ignore the fact it was the most pirated game of the year lol. Its really simple, if you expect a piracy rate of 50% across the board, how would popularity and total sales impact the number of pirated copies? Spore clearly shows piracy totals aren't as disconcerting if they're still proportionate to sales and mirror similar sales to piracy ratios for other titles that have similar forms of DRM.

If Spore has similar sales to piracy ratios as say, Warhead or Mass Effect with similar forms of DRM, that just confirms that form of DRM limits piracy to ~50% effectiveness. Similarly, a form of DRM like pay-to-play MMOs might see 80-90% effectiveness given their very high sales to piracy ratios. Then you have titles with no DRM that see the inverse with 80-90% piracy to sales ratios.

I am not alone. The perception is widespread throughout the community and attempts to justify the continued use of Securom have more to do with support for fat contracts between EA and Sony than the wishes of gamers.
LMAO its obvious you're not alone, but I suspect much of that can't be helped, especially when its obvious you're intent on maintaining ignorance and perpetuating such misinformation. :)

To the best of my knowledge, I have never been dishonest, and where I have been proven wrong, I have stated as much.
Yep, that's your saving grace I suppose. As long as you adequately demonstrate ignorance or a substandard level of understanding, as you clearly have, you aren't violating TOS.

Yes, that's why various companies are currently engaged in damage control operations to attempt to prove that they really have the wishes of the gaming community at heart. You need to wake up
And really, none of that has anything to do with you being repeatedly wrong. If anything they're just looking to appease the vocal minority until they find some better alternative.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001

The "I'm all right Jack" approach and everyone else can screw themselves. Thanks for clarifying your position.
No, its the "I'm not going to make shit up and lie about things I don't know about or haven't given me any problems just to prove a point" approach." Glad I could clarify for you. ;)