Trumps tweeted "WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF" and i cant believe I agree with him

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Meanwhile, we have been porked by Piglosi again. At least Trump is trying to get some relief to the American people, whether you like him or hate him, he's trying. Fucking green new deal, abortion, and other stuff she wants in the bill needs to god damn wait. There was bipartisan support for getting something done, until her seething hate for the president walked in and derailed it. Rot in hell, bitch!

Why you mindlessly lie when anyone can find out the truth is the sign of a fearful person.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Meanwhile, we have been porked by Piglosi again. At least Trump is trying to get some relief to the American people, whether you like him or hate him, he's trying. Fucking green new deal, abortion, and other stuff she wants in the bill needs to god damn wait. There was bipartisan support for getting something done, until her seething hate for the president walked in and derailed it. Rot in hell, bitch!
poor compupiss

Will this be your typical shit and run post?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I suggest a pilot program. Have a couple of Trump rallies in Washington, New York City, etc. without TV coverage so it won't be unfair publicity and follow up on the participants in three weeks or so.

A cynic would call that a win-win scenario.

Reactions: Muse

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
How's Lola?
do you still talk to her after the divorse?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Do you want to flatten the curve or don't you? Allowing 50 people to congregate and restaurants to serve inside is asking for an overwhelming of the healthcare system. Pick your poison. Can we house and feed 30% unemployed for however long it takes to flatten the curve sufficiently? This is going to be a constantly monitored situation with lots of tweakable variables. Trump's tweets, I don't trust the cat to say a single honest thing, he's incapable of it. Disregard his actions as much as you can, turn a deaf ear. He's the worst... ever!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Do you want to flatten the curve or don't you? Allowing 50 people to congregate and restaurants to serve inside is asking for an overwhelming of the healthcare system. Pick your poison. Can we house and feed 30% unemployed for however long it takes to flatten the curve sufficiently? This is going to be a constantly monitored situation with lots of tweakable variables. Trump's tweets, I don't trust the cat to say a single honest thing, he's incapable of it. Disregard his actions as much as you can, turn a deaf ear. He's the worst... ever!
Let us be honest and quit being nice to Trump!
Trumps tweaks will kill people!
In Trumps form of government the elderly are expendable!
If you can`t pay for medical care , so what or who cares?

Reactions: Muse

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Here’s the thing. You are going to lose money. You may lose your job. Nothing you suggest is going to prevent at least losing your investments. Not even throwing a few 10s of millions of your countrymen under the bus.

I suggest you put on your big boy pants and buckle down. If we take the hit now we’ll be better off in the long run and assuming you don’t need your investments in the next 2-3years you’ll probably recover most of it.

Investments? We have empty store shelves. We have 20-30% unemployment. If that persists unmitigated....

And you asked for my solution? I don't know how we manage this much damage. Hence my fear that civil unrest is quite close. People need to be kept whole, but time is money and they will never get back month(s) of lost profit for the businesses even if individual people could be given enough cash to wait it out. The damage is both done and widening every week. And the hoarding, people are panic buying and most common goods are simply not available anymore. Cannot buy food even if people are given the cash to buy it.

I don't see how this ends peacefully.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Investments? We have empty store shelves. We have 20-30% unemployment. If that persists unmitigated....

And you asked for my solution? I don't know how we manage this much damage. Hence my fear that civil unrest is quite close. People need to be kept whole, but time is money and they will never get back month(s) of lost profit for the businesses even if individual people could be given enough cash to wait it out. The damage is both done and widening every week. And the hoarding, people are panic buying and most common goods are simply not available anymore. Cannot buy food even if people are given the cash to buy it.

Take a deep breath. We are not mad max, yet

Supply chains must stay viable. Businesses that provide food and essential services that have issues, state and federal governments must throw resources to make sure they continue to operate.

Our local situation had many empty shelves in our local grocery stores at first. However bread, meat and milk have continued to arrive and people can get food and fuel although quantities are limited.

One thing to realize that our local paper pointed out, a significant portions of folks here don’t cook, they eat out. With everyone stuck at home people are forced to cook and they rushed to buy food and decimated groceries.

Businesses who supply restaurants still have food but it’s going to the wrong places now. A 100 pack of restraunt hoagie buns need to be repackaged in bags of 6-8 for grocery buyers, etc but the food exists.

A dramatic and frantic shift in resources has to happen but the manpower, machines, crops, and transportation are all still there. This isn’t a war or hurricane. Infrastructure is all still fine.

The problem is the individuals who lost their income have to be backstopped by the government so they can continue live and eat until the quarantine can be lifted and the economy can support everyone again.

The federal government must get on this now however or it could end up as you fear.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-trump/trump-says-u-s-to-make-a-decision-on-coronavirus-outbreak-at-end-of-current-15-day-plan-idUSKBN21A0C6

Earlier on Sunday, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said the lockdown affecting large segments of the American public was likely to last 10 to 12 weeks, or until early June.

Trump again expressed impatience with the effect of public health measures on the economy with that tweet.
I'm a Dem and i cant believe that im saying this but I agree with his tweet. :eek:
with more and more states telling people to stay home, unemployment could reach a high of 30%.

heck the current guidelines of no more than 10people max has already taken a toll on the econ.
estimates of New unemployment claims could be 2M when figures are released this Thurs. The previous record was 700k in 1982.
(https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-20/u-s-weekly-jobless-claims-could-exceed-2-million-goldman-says)

We need to find a balance.

i say go back to allowing groups of 50 to come together.
this will allow restaurants to have dine in (instead of the current take out only) and allow small businesses/retailers open again.

You have the perfect username for this RE: public health measures for COVID-19.

master-yoda-quotes.jpg

There is no balance. Either the measures are significant and succeed in some part (different measures can have different outcomes) or we overwhelm the system in a matter of weeks. We are in a state where we need massive public assistance to bridge a huge economic bust. That's already the case even if we do nothing to slow the virus.

There is nothing wrong with the principle of finding a balance. It's a good one in general. But it doesn't apply here. Anything that puts us in the category of exponential growth is the same.

Reactions: Thump553

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Where? Where are you unable to get food?

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I have no doubt republicans will back down on the restrictions. Trump wants that, more and more republicans want that. People will go out, spread the virus faster, lots will die.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
You can't beat a dead horse nor can you make a dead American go back to work.
Trump tweeted his words only after watching one of the Fox News morons tweet the EXACT SAME WORDS the night before.

Trump wants a quick fix, Trump wants to pretend this doesn't exist, and Trump is more worried about markets and Donald Trump than saving / protecting American lives.
WE HAVE AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS PRESIDENT.
President???? This is an extremely dangerous and clueless individual.

So..... lets play the game of WHAT-IF once again.
WHAT-IF, as the numbers rise across America, WHAT-IF Donald Trump should chose to relax the guidelines set by the professionals only for the sake of the markets, and then suddenly America turns into Italy? Then what would Trump say?
Trump would say that HE, DONALD TRUMP had nothing to do with the spike in infections and nothing to do with the spike in deaths.
THEN, Donald Trump would continue on to impose even more ignorant decisions all just as deadly for Americans.

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE as long as we allow the insanity of this administration to continue on.
What would you do to save your own life?
What would you do to save your the life of your children?
Good luck America !!!!

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I think maybe Churchill got it only semi correct. Best argument against democracy is that its capable of electing someone like Trump king. I will have to inspect some of my core beliefs.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Trump can't really stop the lockdowns, right? They're being ordered by state governors. So it doesn't really matter if he wants to lift them.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
No he is NOT. He is telling lies, making excuses, bragging about his intelligence, and attempting to appease the stupid with a check. $1,000 won't even cover a months rent for 90% of the people. It's a damn token for votes.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Seems like most of the tiny bits of info being given in these briefings could be handled by the press secretary.

Speaking of that, who is the current press secretary?

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Seems like most of the tiny bits of info being given in these briefings could be handled by the press secretary.

Speaking of that, who is the current press secretary?

Some chick that looks like she could have been a crack whore or stripper in a previous life.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I agree with Trump *in theory*.

In an ideal world, the US would have ramped up testing kit production fast as soon as there appeared to be an issue in China and gotten those kits to every Dr.Tom, Dr. Dick, or Dr. Harry in the US, and encouraged people to get tested if they even had a sniffle.

Quick, widespread testing to establish reliable baseline numbers and quarantine instead of this "only get tested if you're displaying symptoms" garbage would have statistically reduced the death rate and potentially reigned in the panic.

Of course, none of that happened and now here we are: Unreliable numbers and completely in the dark.

The 2017-2018 flu season hit epidemic proportions in the US with over 44 million people being infected and 61,000 deaths, but thanks to it being "just the flu" and us having solid baseline testing and reporting criteria for it, most are not even aware that it as officially declared an epidemic by the CDC.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Actually there are many red states with rural regions will $1000 will cover a month's rent. Still not really your point but ...

No he is NOT. He is telling lies, making excuses, bragging about his intelligence, and attempting to appease the stupid with a check. $1,000 won't even cover a months rent for 90% of the people. It's a damn token for votes.