Trumps tweeted "WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF" and i cant believe I agree with him

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
If he had used good judgement - something he seems to have never possed - we would not be in this mess. While countries like tiawan and vietnam were testing everyone to contain and prevent an outbreak the president was tweating that cov-19 was non issue and no worse than the common cold.
-
We still don't have ample test kits nation wide. If we can't identify the sick we can't isolate and that is why we are in this mess and need a TOTAL lockdown. Because of extremely poor planning and early action. That is why.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-trump/trump-says-u-s-to-make-a-decision-on-coronavirus-outbreak-at-end-of-current-15-day-plan-idUSKBN21A0C6

Earlier on Sunday, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said the lockdown affecting large segments of the American public was likely to last 10 to 12 weeks, or until early June.

Trump again expressed impatience with the effect of public health measures on the economy with that tweet.
I'm a Dem and i cant believe that im saying this but I agree with his tweet. :eek:
with more and more states telling people to stay home, unemployment could reach a high of 30%.

heck the current guidelines of no more than 10people max has already taken a toll on the econ.
estimates of New unemployment claims could be 2M when figures are released this Thurs. The previous record was 700k in 1982.
(https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-20/u-s-weekly-jobless-claims-could-exceed-2-million-goldman-says)

We need to find a balance.

i say go back to allowing groups of 50 to come together.
this will allow restaurants to have dine in (instead of the current take out only) and allow small businesses/retailers open again.

Reactions: Pohemi

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Deniers who believe in Trump's virtual omnipotence.

Ah I see.

This is one bad thing that can come from our containment efforts. If they are successful then the spread of this won't be too bad, which will mean we will immediately get an avalanche of takes from people saying 'sEe? tHiS wAs AlL UnNeCeSSarY!'

Yes, being annoyed is about a gazillion times better than having thousands or millions dead, it will still be annoying.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If he had used good judgement - something he seems to have never possed - we would not be in this mess. While countries like tiawan and vietnam were testing everyone to contain and prevent an outbreak the president was tweating that cov-19 was non issue and no worse than the common cold.
-
We still don't have ample test kits nation wide. If we can't identify the sick we can't isolate and that is why we are in this mess and need a TOTAL lockdown. Because of extremely poor planning and early action. That is why.

This is something that people are overlooking I think, if we had effective testing in place we could lock down only the places with severe outbreaks but since we don't we're fighting blind and have to lock it all down.

Our government had MONTHS to prepare and did virtually nothing. Now we're paying the piper.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I believe part of the problem is this disease is both higly contagious and not deadly enough. I.e, because it doesn't kill the host it doesn't quickly die out. That allows it to spread like wild-fire. The death rate is not too bad but when you have huge number of sick people even a sub 1% is a *lot* of people.

But none of those had the combination of highly contagious and deadly enough to demand these kind of measures so this comparison doesn't make sense.

1) SARS infected about 8,000 people total and 774 died. In contrast, about 774 people died in Italy from this coronavirus... yesterday.

2) As compared to H1N1 the mortality rate of this coronavirus appears to be ten times greater, perhaps more.

3) While Ebola is certainly far deadlier than this it is not particularly easily transmitted in countries with effective sanitation, unlike this coronavirus, and asymptomatic people cannot transmit it, unlike with this virus.

The world is likely more susceptible to pandemic viruses like this because we are more interconnected than before but there's no reason to believe something like this would be once or more per decade because, well, this is the only one we've seen in a century.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The number of known "recovered" people in the US, so those with antibodies, is currently 178 people. They are working on an antibodies test to understand the true scope but that would be a monumental task just to clear people to return to work.

Not sure that is going to be the solution.

The South Koreans already have a 10 minute antibody test in use. A US company has licensed it and has started production with FDA emergency approval.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
None-sense. Low stock market and lack of new pretty phones is not death.

Economic collapse leads to civil unrest.

Our lives are not some clinical thing where we can weigh options in a sterile environment. The human factor of how people react needs to be taken into account. American's general economic illiteracy needs to be taken into account. Workers will be unemployed, they will go hungry. Businesses will default on loans. 20-30% unemployment is no joke. People will panic and not know how to proceed in an orderly fashion when the grocery stores are almost empty like they are now.

Hoarding behavior is just the beginning. Guns to take what you need are the end result. How are we going to prevent that?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
With economic collapse, nearly all of us die.
The govt could print $8T and let us all ( minus people supporting critical infrastructure) stay home for the next 6 months and be better off than allowing 70% of the country to become infected and 10+% to die as the medical system is overwhelmed.

OMB puts the average life of a US citizens worth at $7M. So preventing the potential deaths of ~23million people are worth multiple times the bailout amount.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
If you find yourself agreeing with trump then it’s probably a good idea to reevaluate your thinking as it is likely to be shortsighted and baseless.

No it’s not a good idea to ride this out as it would prolong the effects and wreak even more havoc on the market as our medical system gets overwhelmed and productivity drops significantly.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Please. We just need to do some very Un-Republican things. Expand the social welfare system enormously.

That concept is generally funded by our strong economy / productivity. The shutdown would make that financially perilous, right? Unless ballooning our debt from $23 trillion to $30 trillion isn't... bad?

And does our government have the leadership to do this? To act in such a bold and decisive manner as to actually bridge the gap? The Senate Bill from Republicans leaves much to be desired, especially for the working poor. Every day that passes without all encompassing relief is another opportunity for Americans to "pull the trigger".

You say please, as if I am supposed to believe the American government will suddenly go "all in" with policy that'd make even Sanders and Yang blush.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
That concept is generally funded by our strong economy / productivity. The shutdown would make that financially perilous, right? Unless ballooning our debt from $23 trillion to $30 trillion isn't... bad?

And does our government have the leadership to do this? To act in such a bold and decisive manner as to actually bridge the gap? The Senate Bill from Republicans leaves much to be desired, especially for the working poor. Every day that passes without all encompassing relief is another opportunity for Americans to "pull the trigger".

You say please, as if I am supposed to believe the American government will suddenly go "all in" with policy that'd make even Sanders and Yang blush.

So it's the Dust Bowl/Great Depression days. Wasn't there anything that could be done? What were they and disregard WWII because what that provided was a common goal.

You are FDR in terms of time and place.

What would you do then and can you translate those into modern-day equivalents? I bet you can come up with something to at least kick around here.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Please. We just need to do some very Un-Republican things. Expand the social welfare system enormously.

Part of the answer but not everything. What else do you have? How do you make it work and come out the other side eventually intact?

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-trump/trump-says-u-s-to-make-a-decision-on-coronavirus-outbreak-at-end-of-current-15-day-plan-idUSKBN21A0C6

Earlier on Sunday, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said the lockdown affecting large segments of the American public was likely to last 10 to 12 weeks, or until early June.

Trump again expressed impatience with the effect of public health measures on the economy with that tweet.
I'm a Dem and i cant believe that im saying this but I agree with his tweet. :eek:
with more and more states telling people to stay home, unemployment could reach a high of 30%.

heck the current guidelines of no more than 10people max has already taken a toll on the econ.
estimates of New unemployment claims could be 2M when figures are released this Thurs. The previous record was 700k in 1982.
(https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-20/u-s-weekly-jobless-claims-could-exceed-2-million-goldman-says)

We need to find a balance.

i say go back to allowing groups of 50 to come together.
this will allow restaurants to have dine in (instead of the current take out only) and allow small businesses/retailers open again.

Howard Johnson is right!

Are we to stand by the sound-and-true words of scientists the world over, while ignoring the random feckless tweets of a blithering idiot?

Rowie!

ocwh5NJiPjN4OqED9K_TTFKPw0BeYhAcSdapt9SZfYu-374BS23shEcBA7uG1Zm2Ut42PljrXD3bH_WXRAlOFFyv9rgA3yjJ8dWBxXRXoDo.jpg

Last edited:
May 13, 2009
The last part of the tweet was left out here. He said we'll see which way to go after the 14th day. To me a little short term pain is definitely better than an unchecked virus which could potentially kill 10% of the people it infects. I would hope that if I was the old person that the younger generation would look out for me and do things to prevent more deaths. At least wait until we have enough PPE for medical personnel and enough ventilators for those that are going to need it.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The Markets should be Shut Down. They are not Essential Services. That said, certain Commodities are essential, so those Markets/Products could remain open to Trading. However, Speculation needs to be suspended.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
The Markets should be Shut Down. They are not Essential Services. That said, certain Commodities are essential, so those Markets/Products could remain open to Trading. However, Speculation needs to be suspended.
We suspended trading after 9/11 so there is a precedent.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
And it's important to note that it's not just the direct mortality rate. The hospitalization rate is horrifyingly high. And if someone, for example, has a heart attack while the ICU beds are all full of covid-19 patients? Well, it sucks to be them.
Nice to see someone say this. There will likely be non insignificant morbidity and mortality that is indirectly related to covid.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Nice to see someone say this. There will likely be non insignificant morbidity and mortality that is indirectly related to covid.

In Italy, Doctors have been choosing who Lives and Dies, due to lack of Resources. Probably has happened elsewhere.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
If you find yourself agreeing with trump then it’s probably a good idea to reevaluate your thinking as it is likely to be shortsighted and baseless.
These are the same people that have to read the instructions on the shampoo bottle every time they wash their hair.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
OMB puts the average life of a US citizens worth at $7M. So preventing the potential deaths of ~23million people are worth multiple times the bailout amount.
im assuming that $7M worth is the avg citizen.
how about those that are near end of life and/or immune compromised?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
im assuming that $7M worth is the avg citizen.
how about those that are near end of life and/or immune compromised?

Here’s the thing. You are going to lose money. You may lose your job. Nothing you suggest is going to prevent at least losing your investments. Not even throwing a few 10s of millions of your countrymen under the bus.

I suggest you put on your big boy pants and buckle down. If we take the hit now we’ll be better off in the long run and assuming you don’t need your investments in the next 2-3years you’ll probably recover most of it.

Reactions: sandorski

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Of course because the USA is a third world country with no healthcare system, being unemployed is a life threatening condition. Will the deaths from millions losing their health insurance outweigh the Covid19 deaths?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I say we suck it up until the curve flattens then slowly rescind restrictions.
Not a big fan of the “some if you may die but that’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make” plan.
Your understanding and his understanding differ because you first learned to think critically and added to that a deep scientific education whereas he simply reacts emotionally to fear. He doesn't have the slightest idea about what flattening the curve means and is unequipped to understand it. But, by God, he has all of the answers.