TPP Fast track

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 25, 2013
Looks like it's going to pass very soon:

Obama Will Get His Trade Deal After All

"Left for dead earlier in the month, the fast-track bill clears a key Senate hurdle and could be completed by the end of the week."

"A trade package that appeared all-but-dead earlier this month is now on the verge of passage after the Senate on Tuesday voted to advance a bill giving President Obama “fast-track” authority to negotiate international trade agreements.

On a vote of 60-37, the Senate moved to end debate on Trade Promotion Authority legislation, the core piece of the agenda that Obama has struggled to push through Congress. A final vote to send the bill to the president’s desk is expected on Wednesday.

The breakthrough occurred after House Democrats initially blocked the trade package by voting down a separate piece providing Trade Adjustment Assistance for displaced workers. But Obama and Republican leaders then went around Democrats by splitting off the aid bill—traditionally a sweetener for Democrats—and passing Trade Promotion Authority by itself. To retain the support of pro-trade Democrats, Speaker John Boehner and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell promised to hold a second round of votes on Trade Adjustment Assistance once the fast-track bill passed, when most liberal Democrats would have little incentive to defeat it."

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/06/obama-will-get-his-trade-deal-after-all/396272/

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
We have the WTO, NAFTA, GATT, CAFTA and now TPP is next to be passed.

Over twenty years time, Americans did little to nothing to stop the onslaught and know very little about one-sided trade agreements that actively allow multinationals to usurp US sovereignty. Mission accomplished.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It's nice to know a handful of other people see the "little dance"

It's "the lesser of two evils" though right? running on fear is powerful for both parties.
What "little dance"? Most of them still voted against it. Not their fault you "both parties are the same" types keep allowing the GOP to obtain/retain majorities.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
What "little dance"? Most of them still voted against it. Not their fault you "both parties are the same" types keep allowing the GOP to obtain/retain majorities.

"They're the same" because they collaborate on terrible things. Dem President and GOP Congress should be too busy fighting each other, but they share vested interests. In this case, selling humanity out to shareholders.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
We have the WTO, NAFTA, GATT, CAFTA and now TPP is next to be passed.

Over twenty years time, Americans did little to nothing to stop the onslaught and know very little about one-sided trade agreements that actively allow multinationals to usurp US sovereignty. Mission accomplished.

Time to put corporate logos on the U.S. flag....

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I ask most people if they've heard of TPP or TPA and they all look at me bewildered.

Do Americans have it coming to them because we're so ignorant?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I ask most people if they've heard of TPP or TPA and they all look at me bewildered.

I think most people don't care because it's:

1. A trade agreement, which is naturally of little interest to people.
2. Not that big a deal as far as trade agreements go anyway.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008

Much of the broadcast and cable news is owned by corporations... who have an interest in this passing... most people don't know because not many in the media were talking about it until the democratic members in Congress made efforts to stop it.

And yes we do have it coming in a sense because we (collectively speaking) believed the beautiful lies of trickle-down and free-trade.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
This will get through, one way or another. Too much money at stake.

I can see the future. I'm a frickin clairvoyant. When are people going to wake up and realize that their government does not function in any way like they think it does?

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
I can see the future. I'm a frickin clairvoyant. When are people going to wake up and realize that their government does not function in any way like they think it does?

Generally speaking, our lives are too good and comfortable for that to happen anytime soon on a scale large enough. :|

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? That many.

Well if it's 1 person then the trade agreement certainly wouldn't be a big deal. If it was 100 million it would be a big deal. Since our good friend michal seemed to think it was a big deal I would assume he would have some idea of the effects.

I personally very much doubt almost anyone on here has a good idea of the plausible impacts of TPP.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Well if it's 1 person then the trade agreement certainly wouldn't be a big deal. If it was 100 million it would be a big deal. Since our good friend michal seemed to think it was a big deal I would assume he would have some idea of the effects.

I personally very much doubt almost anyone on here has a good idea of the plausible impacts of TPP.

When is the last time you went gambling?

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Sure! What's your point?

Would you join a game if you had to agree to allow your full house get bet but the dealers would not tell you how much to bet was actually going to be. Then they deal your hand out of view and then tell you what they say the results are. Without knowing how much if not everything you could lose and also not knowing how anything about the game works would you still agree to play?

Dec 10, 2005
Would you join a game if you had to agree to allow your full house get bet but the dealers would not tell you how much to bet was actually going to be. Then they deal your hand out of view and then tell you what they say the results are. Without knowing how much if not everything you could lose and also not knowing how anything about the game works would you still agree to play?

Your analogy is terrible.