TPP Fast track

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
Good :thumbsup:

No more you have to pass before reading :colbert:

Link

WASHINGTON (AP) — Senate Democrats dealt President Barack Obama a stinging setback on trade Tuesday, blocking efforts to begin a full-blown debate on his initiatives
The president's supporters said they will try again, possibly starting in the House. But they were unable to sugar-coat a solid rebuke of a major Obama priority by members of his own party, some of whom served with him in the Senate.

Only one Senate Democrat, Tom Carper of Delaware, voted for a GOP-crafted motion to start considering Obama's request for "fast track" trade authority. Fast track would let the president present trade agreements that Congress could ratify or reject, but not amend.

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Just shot down in the Senate. Looks like Tea Partiers' & Progressives held together.
The Senate Majority leader needs to be removed from office.

Thank you Tea Party and Progressives for denying him. Your votes are appreciated.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
I can't find a list of whom voted for it

I guess you really didn't pay close attention to the article in the OP.

Only one Senate Democrat, Tom Carper of Delaware, voted for a GOP-crafted motion to start considering Obama's request for "fast track" trade authority. Fast track would let the president present trade agreements that Congress can ratify or reject, but not amend.
Proponents needed 60 votes to thwart a Democratic filibuster, but managed only 52 in the 100-member Senate.

Feb 4, 2009
I guess you really didn't pay close attention to the article in the OP.

No I didn't yahoo is poorly mobile optimized so I never bother.
Ps I'm the OP, I did not post that link. Thank you for the summary.
Every Republican voted for it and no Democrat or Independent voted for it? That sounds incorrect.

Last edited:

Kwatt

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2000
Good!

Although the holdouts probably just haven't got a large enough pay-off yet...

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003

Thank you Tea Party and Progressives for denying him. Your votes are appreciated.

Why?

He was working with the president, isnt that what the left always wanted?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Why?

He was working with the president, isnt that what the left always wanted?

Anytime Republican leadership works with the Democrat leadership, it's to push the Neocon agenda that our previous President was famous for.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
It'll get passed, Repubs will cave on lumping in other trade bills, though not sure currency manipulation is a great idea at all. I'm not sure that's appropriate for a trade bill nor smart on its merits, as practically anything a central bank does could be considered "currency manipulation" given their entire purpose is stimulating and stablizing markets through interest rates and providing liquidity to banks through the discount window.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Can't wait for Obama to get on a national broadcast and explain in detail how these trade agreements are good for the working people of America.

But I ain't holding my breath 'til he does.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Can't wait for Obama to get on a national broadcast and explain in detail how these trade agreements are good for the working people of America.

But I ain't holding my breath 'til he does.

He won't. He will just make deals and those against it will get money. it will be passed next year.

we won't hear much about it in the news either.

Feb 4, 2009
I'm fascinated that its gone this far. From reading its poll after poll of people not supporting more trade agreements but our elected official seem to be fired up about passing this but nobody wants to talk about it.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'm fascinated that its gone this far. From reading its poll after poll of people not supporting more trade agreements but our elected official seem to be fired up about passing this but nobody wants to talk about it.
Your elected officials do not give a flying rat fuck about what you want. Maybe at the state level they did. Maybe even the first few years in D.C. they did. But pretty soon the Beltway crowd are "us" and the people they nominally represent are "them".

Unfortunately, when Democrat leadership is in agreement with Republican leadership it generally means the American people need to lube up, 'cause it's something so horrendous that neither side wants the "credit" for passing it.

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Actually, both sides look for protection for voting for these deals by inviting guys like the CATO Institute to testify (read lie) before Congress. They will explain how this is good for Americans and the working class and the Congress critters will sit there and nod there approval. If the Congress critter is ever asked about there vote on these bills by the public they will say they were just taking the advise of the experts (CATO et al).

Although both sides look to folks like the CATO institute to provide cover for there votes it's the Dems that need it more. The Repubs don't need to worry so much about a backlash from there base for such votes but the Dems do.

I watched a guy from the CATO institute testify before Congress on CSPAN some years ago and it was all I could do to not smash my TV listening to him and seeing the pols nod in approval and not bother to challenge him.

Brian

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Some things to consider.
Either Warren is terrible wrong or Obama is trying to pull a fast one.
I assume both Warren and Obama know word for word what is in this TPP package.

Lets decipher this...
First of all, we have two animals at play here.
Republicans and democrats. Liberals and conservatives.
I want to first address the different mindsets of the two.

Democrats, at least the liberals in the party, believe republicans are never up to any good.
Liberals believe that republicans are totally anti middle class and anti anything that helps those in need of help.
Democrats i.e. liberals believe republicans are 100% pro business, would sell out their own mothers to make some ideology point, and never in favor advancement of the hard working middle class.

On the other hand, republicans simply believe democrats are fools.
Have no idea of reality. And always wrong. That democrats come up with assumptions totally off base. In other words, republicans believe liberals have absolutely no clue. No clue what so ever. That liberals are full of bull and out of touch with how the real world operates.

So, here we finally have a real chance to find out, well maybe with finding out, which mindset best supports the truth.
Are liberals a bunch of morons?
Are republicans all hard asses full of their own illogical Ideology?

Back to Warren. The liberal senator Warren.
Now Warren, she is telling us that this TPP is harmful and unAmerican.
That it will help further destroy the middle class.
Will allow huge gains for big business and for corporations at the expense of the hard working middle class.

Republicans, oddly agreeing along with Obama, believe this will free up American trade.
Level the playing field. Create American jobs and fair trade for the advantage of American business and more so, advantage for the American workers.
And Obama really pushes this as a great game changer for the American worker.
Claiming this TPP will result in a much stronger successful middle classed America.

So, which side is the right side here?

Might Warren, the liberal Warren, actually know nothing of what she speaks?
Is she, as republicans accuse most democrats of, is Warren totally out of tough with reality?
Or, are the republicans once again selling out middle class America's for the profit of business? And strangely enough with Obama leading their cause?

Who is right and who is wrong?

If Warren is exposed as a looney liberal, screaming the sky is falling from the mountain tops, and in the end exposed as totally nuts.
Well....

And if Obama turns out to be the republicans best friend, and the middle class workers worse enemy, what does that say?

Which side is right? I really want to know. We all should really want to know.
Will it turn out that the way republicans paint liberal democrats actually hold truth?
Or will the sky actually fall, as Warren insistently predicts?
This contest between the two sides probably won't settle the issue once and for all, but it might give everyone a big clue as to which side to listen to.
Especially as 2016 draws closer, and voters wonder who to trust.
This should be fun.
I'd definitely stay tuned for this one.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Both sides of this argument has an agenda to press.Except in this case there are three sides the Democrats side, the Republicans side and Obama's side. Trust me the GOP is not actually working with Obama.

I do however believe that Every Bill should be read, understood and argued before it ever gets a vote. Regardless of who sponsored the bill or what it does. Every bill should also be able to stand on its own without piggy backs and add ons.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014

The Tea Party had nothing to do with stopping it, every Democrat but one voted against it. All of the Republican senators voted for it.

Do you still want to thank the Tea Party?