Threadripper BUILDERS thread

Page 73 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Sure if that better chip were on the same socket so I could do a drop in upgrade, later on the same platform.
Lucky me that I just happen to now own both sockets for both platforms so I am set for which ever turns out to be better.
Don't get me wrong here, I will in fact be purchasing the top tier Ryzen 3000 part as well weather that be a 16c or 12c part.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Threadripper 3000 chips WILL come, and they will probably have up to 64 cores, so be patient. I am dying to see as well. Remember, I have SEVEN threadrippers, and 3 2700X, so I am vested there.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Threadripper 3000 chips WILL come, and they will probably have up to 64 cores, so be patient. I am dying to see as well. Remember, I have SEVEN threadrippers, and 3 2700X, so I am vested there.

Holy crap'oly Mark!!
I dont have that many super expensive cpu's but I do have a little collection starting to build up.
Lets see here, I have got -
2950x, r7 1700, r7 1800x, r7 2700x, fx8350, fx8300, x4 760k, x2 3900 and a old school Athlon 1700 also have i7-920 and 2x e5-2650 es which I think are blanks.
Still On the look out for a New factory sealed x6 1100t for my collection LOL.
I always wanted one to play with for some reason.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Holy crap'oly Mark!!
I dont have that many super expensive cpu's but I do have a little collection starting to build up.
Lets see here, I have got -
2950x, r7 1700, r7 1800x, r7 2700x, fx8350, fx8300, x4 760k, x2 3900 and a old school Athlon 1700 also have i7-920 and 2x e5-2650 es which I think are blanks.
Still On the look out for a New factory sealed x6 1100t for my collection LOL.
I always wanted one to play with for some reason.
I have too much old stuff to list here, including an Athlon 1700, a 950, an E5570, etc... Oh, and an X3360 Xeon I think (socket 775 Xeon ??)

Reactions: Drazick

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Yeah most of those older CPU's are just sitting on my shelf looking pretty because I don't have motherboards for all of them.
I've got plenty of old school ide harddrives and old ddr 1,2, and 3 for them but no motherboards unfortunately.
Maybe one day I will find some at a garage sale or ebay of something and fire them back up for old time sake.
I am probably the only one still using cd/dvd/and or blu-ray burners these days.
Guess I have a hard time letting go of the past LOL

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Yeah most of those older CPU's are just sitting on my shelf looking pretty because I don't have motherboards for all of them.
I've got plenty of old school ide harddrives and old ddr 1,2, and 3 for them but no motherboards unfortunately.
Maybe one day I will find some at a garage sale or ebay of something and fire them back up for old time sake.
I am probably the only one still using cd/dvd/and or blu-ray burners these days.
Guess I have a hard time letting go of the past LOL
I have functional systems for everything except a couple of Pentium 60's and a couple of Pentium 200's. The other "old" systems are not powered on. I even powered down my E6700 and 4790k. The slowest powered on is now a pair of dual E5590's.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
Markfw - you are the reason my main rig since end of last year is a Threadripper system with X399 Taichi :)
I'm loving it as it's different, expansion options are huge and performance from my TR1920X is more than enough!

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
What is the difference between referb and open box motherboards on newegg??
They are both used correct?? Anything I should be concerned about if purchasing one of those options over factory fresh new products, like bent pins or non functional units??

ajc9988

Apr 1, 2015
What is the difference between referb and open box motherboards on newegg??
They are both used correct?? Anything I should be concerned about purchasing one of those options over factory fresh new products, like bent pins or non functional units??
Open box is a returned item. You don't know if all pieces were put back in the box or why they returned it, other than it wasn't returned for a hardware malfunction (which would lead to a refurbish). A refurbish is a product returned for a malfunction that was tested, corrected, and is certified to run as if new. Both have limited warranties. Refurbish is generally 30-90 days. Open box is often the same, but can vary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Justinbaileyman

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Thank you for the reply.
Should I have any concerns with purchasing an open box motherboard like bent pins or burned out motherboards or components in general??
I dont care about accessories being included so much as I am worried about getting a non functional item.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Thank you for the reply.
Should I have any concerns with purchasing an open box motherboard like bent pins or burned out motherboards or components in general??
I dont care about accessories being included so much as I am worried about getting a non functional item.

Nope, even if it happened, you could return it, no shipping charge. I don't know if you would get another unit or a refund. I have never had that happen. Open box or refurb quite often do not have cables, IO plate, manual or CD. The IO plate is sometimes annoting, but you don't need it really. I go for price and basic functionality.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Yep that is exactly what I was looking at, the Taichi that is and why i was asking.. lol
You think I should hop on it and give it a shot??
I am almost ready to, thats $200 off, and at least as good as the Taichi.

Edit: I had it in my cart, tried quantity 2, but there is only one, so I won't steal it from you.

Edit2: I am trying to get another 2990wx, one on ebay, they guy will not go below $1400, but that is what I would have used this for,.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I am almost ready to, thats $200 off, and at least as good as the Taichi.

Edit: I had it in my cart, tried quantity 2, but there is only one, so I won't steal it from you.

Edit2: I am trying to get another 2990wx, one on ebay, they guy will not go below $1400, but that is what I would have used this for,.
Hey go ahead, I am getting the Taichi open box!!

Edit: Was there any reason to choose that fatality over the Taichi? Pretty sure they both have the same vrm count and setup?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Hey go ahead, I am getting the Taichi open box!!

Edit: Was there any reason to choose that fatality over the Taichi? Pretty sure they both have the same vrm count and setup?
$20 less, and something must be better for a $100 more retail price. I have 5 Taichi, so I like those, and I know those.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I am reading through the reviews to help my decide which to go with.

Edit: nope not gonna go for the ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming.
Its gonna be the Taichi all the way for me.
To many reviews claiming dead or dying fatality boards due to the 10gbit AQUANTIA ethernet port or chip. Probably due to that tiny heatsink it uses.

So now that that is settled, all I have left to get is the Ram and PSU.
Kinda thinking of the TridentZ 3200 or 3600 rgb but need 64gb 4x16gb if i can get the taichi to run at those speeds with that much ram.

Last edited:

dnavas

Feb 25, 2017
To many reviews claiming dead or dying fatality boards due to the 10gbit AQUANTIA ethernet port or chip. Probably due to that tiny heatsink it uses.

Well, I had already bought one of these boards for my 1800x rig, so I didn't need to go with the fatality. Worked in both the gigabyte board and the taichi :shrug: Could be right, though -- I saw those reviews as well....

Reactions: Justinbaileyman

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Well, I had already bought one of these boards for my 1800x rig, so I didn't need to go with the fatality. Worked in both the gigabyte board and the taichi :shrug: Could be right, though -- I saw those reviews as well....

Well I was originally gonna purchase the Gigabyte x399 Extreme till I watched a review video in which the south bridge exploded and smoke came pouring out from under the southbridge heatsink when the guy powered on his pc and then there is a review on newegg saying they also had an issue with the southbridge which caught on fire on his first boot.

There are a few hit or miss reviews for the Taichi as well but versus the amount of reviews there are that is to be expected every now and then, just not like 75% of the time like on the Gigabyte Extreme board.
Which is odd because I normally purchase Gigabyte motherboards and haven't really ever had a problem out of any of there boards as of yet, knock on wood!!

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Well I was originally gonna purchase the Gigabyte x399 Extreme till I watched a review video in which the south bridge exploded and smoke came pouring out from under the southbridge heatsink when the guy powered on his pc and then there is a review on newegg saying they also had an issue with the southbridge which caught on fire on his first boot.

There are a few hit or miss reviews for the Taichi as well but versus the amount of reviews there are that is to be expected every now and then, just not like 75% of the time like on the Gigabyte Extreme board.
Which is odd because I normally purchase Gigabyte motherboards and haven't really ever had a problem out of any of there boards as of yet, knock on wood!!
Gigabyte is the touilet of motherboards these days. ASRock for me. I even had problemns with X99 Intel boards from them, as well as dead memory sockets on 1151. (the 6700 is 1151 I think)

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks for steering me clear of the garbage boards and recommending the Taichi I cant wait till it arrives next week.
Also how the heck is this possible??
He is using a 850w psu with a 2990wx?? Wouldn't that burn out that psu or some components?? I am surprised it even turns on..
I thought the safe minimum for 2990wx was 1200w-1600w??

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Thanks for steering me clear of the garbage boards and recommending the Taichi I cant wait till it arrives next week.
Also how the heck is this possible??
He is using a 850w psu with a 2990wx?? Wouldn't that burn out that psu or some components?? I am surprised it even turns on..
I thought the safe minimum for 2990wx was 1200w-1600w??
At STOCK, it will only run as fast as it can to suck 250 watts, so sure, that PSU will do fine. Even with a 250 watt video card, thats only about 600.

NOW once you start to OC, things really change, but then you need water cooling. My 2990wx is down on water cooling at the moment, since the pump died, so I am back to stock for now.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Does that 200w include when the cpu turbo's or auto boosts the speed up??
Well, I could put my kill-a-volt on my 2990wx while its at stock, but last I saw, yea, its sticks to the 250 watt like you would not believe, I would only turbo to about 3250 on all 32 cores, OC'ed, I had it set for 3700 speed,