Threadripper BUILDERS thread

Page 75 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 17, 2013
4 x 8 gig, the 3600 would run at 3466. 4 x 16 gig. I can only get to run@3000, but thats a 2990wx, a different animal.

So you are getting a 2950x, right ? I can't remember. Anyway, based on bios version, memory and what cpu and at what speed, I can't say what memory exactly. Guidlines
1) get the fastest you can afford
2) lower timings are almost important as speed.
3) Once you get it, start at 2666, test, then go up one step until its not dependable.
Yes, I have the 2950x in hand along with the Asrock Taichi motherboard and both are still factory sealed sitting on the floor in my living room still in there newegg boxes lol.
Cant do anything with them till my Noctua HSF gets here.

Aug 17, 2013
Got all my goodies now including a new case, went with the Cooler Master MasterBox Pro5 RGB.
Got it all put together and could not get the darn thing to boot off the dang linux live disk in the drive.
Watched all kinds of video's on youtube which all said to disable IOMMU which is what I did the second I booted into bios.
Turns out this is completely wrong and this caused all my issues!!
I turned it back on just as a last resort and whammo booted right up..
Now I am having an issue where the cpu keeps wanting to stay at 4Ghz.
Should I turn off PBO in the bios??
Can anyone with a Taichi mobo help with some bios settings please??

Markfw

CPU Moderator, VC&G Moderator, Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 16, 2002
Got all my goodies now including a new case, went with the Cooler Master MasterBox Pro5 RGB.
Got it all put together and could not get the darn thing to boot off the dang linux live disk in the drive.
Watched all kinds of video's on youtube which all said to disable IOMMU which is what I did the second I booted into bios.
Turns out this is completely wrong and this caused all my issues!!
I turned it back on just as a last resort and whammo booted right up..
Now I am having an issue where the cpu keeps wanting to stay at 4Ghz.
Should I turn off PBO in the bios??
Can anyone with a Taichi mobo help with some bios settings please??
Never had that issue, sorry.

Aug 17, 2013
It was Windows 10 it self giving me issues, but I got rid of windows altogether and just went all out linux and havent had an issue since except for a few packages not installing or not even showing up for that matter in software center even after adding and installing PPA's.
Fortunately I got around it by installing everything through the Terminal.
So far I am pretty happy with this new set up and the lickity split quickness of this new CPU!!

ASK THE COMMUNITY