Threadripper BUILDERS thread

Page 77 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dnavas

Feb 25, 2017
Latest on TR from AT: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1499...-generation-ryzen-threadripper-32-cores-280-w

fds.png

Cooling for 280W will be interesting, but getting much headroom over that is going to require something better than we've had thus far. Any clues for the non-plumbers? ;/ I'm not convinced a Noctua is going to cool 400+ watts. :(
Also, the all-core clocks on a 16C at 280W.... Yeesh!

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Cooling for 280W will be interesting, but getting much headroom over that is going to require something better than we've had thus far. Any clues for the non-plumbers? ;/ I'm not convinced a Noctua is going to cool 400+ watts. :(
Also, the all-core clocks on a 16C at 280W.... Yeesh!
The TDP values are just for any CPU on that socket. I suppose an all core overclock go hit 280Watts on AVX2 workloads. If you don't want to go with liquid cooling, the NH-D15 is probably as good as it gets.

Reactions: lightmanek

dnavas

Feb 25, 2017
The TDP values are just for any CPU on that socket.

Ah, well, that makes more sense. 280W on the 64 core makes more sense than on the 16....
If you don't want to go with liquid cooling, the NH-D15 is probably as good as it gets.
Oh, I don't mind liquid cooling, I mind the custom half. Our aio options on TR are kind of .... sub-par.

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
Are current Threadripper parts configurable TDP? I really doubt I can cool "280W" in my case with my current cooler.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
Are current Threadripper parts configurable TDP? I really doubt I can cool "280W" in my case with my current cooler.

Yep - with Ryzen master, you can essentially limit power through the socket - which obviously has a direct effect on both heat and clocks.

Or you could just let it do its own thing and it will thermally throttle as required.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Oh, I don't mind liquid cooling, I mind the custom half. Our aio options on TR are kind of .... sub-par.

Threadripper3 is going to require a new generation of coolers. Bigger hsfs, and AiOs with blocks that actually cover the entire IHS. Ones that don't destroy themselves.

Reactions: dnavas

Beavermatic

Oct 24, 2006
to kind of squash the rumor mill (and as legit as some of the TR3 paper rumors sound), It wasn't too long ago that everyone was dead certain there wasn't going to be another TR anytime soon. Literally every tech site was acting like this was the case, and then shortly thereafter Lisa Su killed that rumor saying "we never said that. That was a internet thing.' We have to remember, literally every site was *certain* there wasn't another TR coming this year and some going so far to spout that they killed off the TR line over whatever reason because some credible source said so. And just like that.... poof. Squashed by AMD and here we are a week or so away from a new TR launch.

So when I see all these 'credible sources' and sites talking bout how TR3 isn't going to support X399 drop-in, or how there's all these variants of these 280w multi-form factor & redundant boards and even the CPU itself (i mean, what, they are releasing a 16c Ryzen 3000 and a 16c TR3 to the consumer market on the same day? doubt it), I just look back at how wrong everyone had it about TR3 even being a thing and I think there's probably a lot of bad information going around yet again.

I'll guess we'll find out soon enough, but wouldn't be so sure about anything yet other than 'It's Coming'.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Ha! Don't do it. You can get more cores for less with TR3. Less than 1 month to availability.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
I know, its just so hard.... And its available, and I can afford it....
Mark, in your wildest dreams did 256 threads ever come up as a possibility? One thing though, it's PCIe 3. Which seems odd. If you do go that way though, work on sponsorship. Seriously. You have a great story, and exposure may inspire more folks to use their resources to the same cause.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Mark, in your wildest dreams did 256 threads ever come up as a possibility? One thing though, it's PCIe 3. Which seems odd. If you do go that way though, work on sponsorship. Seriously. You have a great story, and exposure may inspire more folks to use their resources to the same cause.
Well, now that I have calmed down, upgrading 4 of my threadrippers to 64 cores each would do the same, probably at less cost, and they would probably be clocked higher. So Sanity says wait a month and then see what is available.

As far as sponsorship, I hate to ask people for their money, unless it was a corporation, but I don't think I could get anyone of that stature to contribute.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
I know it's old CPU by now, but I just saw brand new TR1920X on sale for £238 at Amazon!
That's cheaper than chips and great processor for almost any kind of use!

Reactions: Kirito and scannall

Kirito

Jun 20, 2017
I know it's old CPU by now, but I just saw brand new TR1920X on sale for £238 at Amazon!
That's cheaper than chips and great processor for almost any kind of use!
It is agonising seeing how cheap the earlier trs have become, kind of makes me doubt wanting to go tr3! Arghh when money is an issue, can afford a hit with tr3 but these older chips are better perf/£...

Kirito

Jun 20, 2017
Last edited:
Reactions: dnavas

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
5 days to go! I'm looking forward to this :). Sadly, I don’t have the free cash to spend $1200+ on just a mobo and cpu. Not that I need a build like that, but it would be fun! Oh, and if I did have the cash, it’d be a mandatory custom H2O build, double plus good! Oh well, us peasants can dream of being king ;). Anyway, it’ll be fun to watch what mark and a few others build.

Kirito

Jun 20, 2017
I do hope there'll be atx sized boards.. Would hate to need to replace my case again for a build.. Any expectations? I'm looking forward to a 24/32c finally coming up from a 4770k! Not too familiar with hedt boards, are gigabyte ones good these days?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I do hope there'll be atx sized boards.. Would hate to need to replace my case again for a build.. Any expectations? I'm looking forward to a 24/32c finally coming up from a 4770k! Not too familiar with hedt boards, are gigabyte ones good these days?
Others may reply, but Giga-byte is garbage nowadays.

Reactions: Drazick

dnavas

Feb 25, 2017
I do hope there'll be atx sized boards.. Would hate to need to replace my case again for a build.. Any expectations?
I'd like to see the same, and I expect to be disappointed, frankly, on sizing, pricing, and features. If you're going to try and sell me an $800 board, it better come with a 360mm copper radiator and block connections for vrm cooling. Instead, I expect to see !!-*LED*-!! much-wow, sprawling plastic covers and other such garbage. EATX just let's them do more of that. It's embarrassing to the industry imnsho.

Anyway, in preparation, I'm trying to figure out what kind of case I might live with. The Carbide 540 is an interesting choice. With cases just getting taller, and with so many of them eliminating front drive bays, it's getting harder for me to find a decent case :( I know that the tdp makes this impossible, but I find myself pining for my A3000-sized case....

Kirito

Jun 20, 2017
Hmm.. I've had bad experiences with msi, asrock was nice except bios options, last gigabyte board was a p35t-dq6... Would really prefer not to pay for Asus tax especially with their shenanigans of late.. Is it that difficult to have a high end non tacky board with a nice functional bios? Something like asus ws but atx(?) budget should be about 350£ or even 450/500 if it's a proper board that'll last ages.. That old ultradurable board with an e6300 is still running a fileserver for me! Just has a few broken USB slots after all this while.