Third world Mississippi?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
What about flint Michigan and California? Put up or shut up. Show us a direct line of complete democrat control in those states that clearly show a self created humanitarian crisis such as this.
Well let's see, man. There only need be majority control but you know that. Every second of every day the ground beneath my feet, or ass, what have you, is literally sinking. We're averaging, roughly, around an inch per year or so. Policy around here with water is insane throwing away water on things that aren't essential. We'd rather wash state and city cars than give water to farmers. We'd rather have businesses water meaningless lawns than to ensure there isn't crop failure. People with means are bailing because the writing is on the wall, California is running out of water and millions upon millions of people are going to be flat-fucked. Thank goodness my base of operations isn't within CA or I'd be looking on how to get out of here. California is poised for one of the largest humanitarian disasters the world has ever known and it's teetering on edge. The state has lost people for two consecutive years in a row, prior to last year it had never lost population. The seams have cracked, the place has been on the road to hell for a long time and it has accelerated and I'm just talking about water alone. You know what's up with Flint MI and what party traditionally controls it and CA, one thing I believe is that you're not stupid and I doubt you're ignorant or will you prove me wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
How the hell did they get to this point?

The Capital city of the state,
A city of about 150,000,
Have been under a boil water advisory since July,
... and now they have no water... can't flush, can't fight fires, can't even run air conditioners that rely on water.
They don't even have bottled water to hand out.

Some red states can't keep the lights on, others can't keep the water flowing.

Being proud of low taxes.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
The former MI governor charged for the Flint water crisis was GOP. I don't know what party the other people indicted were, at least one worked for him.

From what I have read, a huge part of the CA water crisis is due to the huge use of water by agriculture. Growing crops like almonds that take massive amounts of water. They also have stupid policies on who gets to use what water sources (see Chinatown).

People in general aren't willing to take a long view on...anything. So they elect buffoons who scoff at things like climate change. Well, that's the fault of "us". No politician is going to commit suicide by telling everyone they need to sacrifice things in their lives for decades--at least not for very long before they get replaced--but that's exactly what needs (needed) to happen. Ounce of prevention and all that. What's coming isn't even going to affect me so much, but my kids and their kids are screwed barring some miracle tech intervention.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
How the hell did they get to this point?

The Capital city of the state,
A city of about 150,000,
Have been under a boil water advisory since July,
... and now they have no water... can't flush, can't fight fires, can't even run air conditioners that rely on water.
They don't even have bottled water to hand out.

Some red states can't keep the lights on, others can't keep the water flowing.

tax cuts and an inability to take care of infrastructure as a good government should.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I’m willing to bet every state on your list is a ‘Red’ State...for tax reasons of course...
You're right, all of them are red states. It's all about quality of life versus cost, and the red states own that market. I could stay in California, but by moving I can enjoy a lifestyle I prefer at far lower cost. I'm all done with over crowding. The Bay Area (where I live) has a population of eight million. The entire state of Mississippi has three million. The money I get out of my tract home here would buy me a mansion there if that was something I wanted.

I've done my time, I've worked hard, paid my taxes, saved a bit, and now it's time to take it easy.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
Dude, no one believes you. I just thought you should know.
Naw I've read a lot of his stuff. He's definitely not a Republican. He's definitely a Democrat. He totally says things a typical Republican wouldn't. And he usually has good, middle of the road, moderate Democrat sense. That's his problem here, he's a moderate.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and Lezunto
Jan 25, 2011
MS ranks 48th in infrastructure yet you claim it is a Jackson problem? Also 25% of Jackson residents live below the poverty level. Think they have that kind of money?
Pretty sure that's not at all what I said. I'm just not going to assume. If there's data that shows repairs were done and not put off/budgeted elsewhere great. But this seems like an unforeseeable combination of events. No one's fault.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
You're right, all of them are red states. It's all about quality of life versus cost, and the red states own that market. I could stay in California, but by moving I can enjoy a lifestyle I prefer at far lower cost. I'm all done with over crowding. The Bay Area (where I live) has a population of eight million. The entire state of Mississippi has three million. The money I get out of my tract home here would buy me a mansion there if that was something I wanted.

I've done my time, I've worked hard, paid my taxes, saved a bit, and now it's time to take it easy.

I'm looking at it from the other side. I've lived in Florida almost my whole life, and it's eating at me that the people here elect people like Rick Scott and Desantis. Granted, this is still a purple state and could go Democrat presumably, but the fervor people have here for a creep like Desantis is really disturbing. I have good friends here, a family business and I've been in a band for ten years so it will be hard to leave.

I'll have to pay more to move to New England (my current top destination) and I know from visiting that they aren't free of assholes either (got a laugh over a roof-wide confederate flag on a house in upstate NY). But maybe I won't feel like I need a shower five times a day just for living in this damn state (both literally from the heat and from the icks of representing this rube-filled place.)

Reactions: dank69 and Pohemi

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The former MI governor charged for the Flint water crisis was GOP. I don't know what party the other people indicted were, at least one worked for him.

From what I have read, a huge part of the CA water crisis is due to the huge use of water by agriculture. Growing crops like almonds that take massive amounts of water. They also have stupid policies on who gets to use what water sources (see Chinatown).

People in general aren't willing to take a long view on...anything. So they elect buffoons who scoff at things like climate change. Well, that's the fault of "us". No politician is going to commit suicide by telling everyone they need to sacrifice things in their lives for decades--at least not for very long before they get replaced--but that's exactly what needs (needed) to happen. Ounce of prevention and all that. What's coming isn't even going to affect me so much, but my kids and their kids are screwed barring some miracle tech intervention.
Let's not leave out...

15+ year drought (climate change)
population increase

Change in water use needs to be a multi state effort. Should include everyone that gets feed from the Colorado River.

What happened to the effort to the mass desalinization of seawater? They could use that for those damned almonds

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
This is true! Also true the mayor of Flint was a Democrat, typically it is a Democrat.

This is true! But it doesn't help the water problem is exacerbated by fuck it let's ignore it and continue to use water as normal, because lawns need watered, so on and so forth. There are millions of state and city automobiles that don't NEED washed and even when you're using recycled water there's evaporation to take into account and it gets ever-living hot-as-fuck here, evaporation is a legit issue. You can hose down a sidewalk and it'll evaporate in about 10 minutes since it's hot and it's a rare day there's clouds in the sky.

There are so many things that California could do, but you know, perhaps an insect or something might become extinct, or swap crops. The two best reliefs I would propose are build a water pipeline from the Missouri, Mississippi, Ohio or all of the above and work something out. Or build a nuclear plant to power some massive desalination plants. None of this will happen to get some semblance of immediate relief, instead we'll pitch climate change and hope we're making a meaningful impact while things die of thirst.

It really pisses you off when you're here and you can drive around and somewhat regularly see water running out into the middle of the road and sidewalks as the ground beneath you is sinking.

People in general aren't willing to take a long view on...anything.

I believe it's said this is "based" if I pretend to be a youngster.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
The people who will suffer the most in Mississippi are not the ones in power.
...are they ever? In their mansions up on the hill (figuratively, if not literally), are the people in charge ever the ones who have to suffer from their poor governing? Not really.
People are suffering horribly and some take this occasion to make jokes and trash Republicans.
Pretty sure this has happened due to state funding/budget legislated by...you guessed it...GOP government at the state level.
I express sympathy for victims. I do not poke fun at their misery...
...Do you think finger wagging is going to make a difference to grieving family members?
Do you believe that poor governing at the state level shouldn't be called what it is? This isn't a tit-for-tat situation, this situation (much like Flint, MI) was entirely avoidable with proper budgeting and planning...the state legislature just doesn't give a shit about that pesky city that votes Dem and is majority black people.

Calling situations as they are isn't "finger wagging", it's expecting accountability for those responsible. Should it not be talked about because it'll hurt poor GOP feels? Ridiculous.

I haven't seen ANYONE in the thread poking fun or mocking the residents of Jackson, but the state government. Meanwhile, shitheels trying to put all the blame on mismanagement of the city of Jackson, as if the funds for infrastructure would come from the city budget. Please.
Pretty sure that's not at all what I said.
Hasn't Jackson been under a Democrat mayor since the 1940's? The current Democrat Mayor in office 5 years? Maybe I'm not grasping how this is a specific party issue?
But that IS what you were inferring, despite trying to backpeddle after the initial comment. You are pulling a pcgeek, "those aren't the exact words I said even though it's exactly what I meant."

You would have everyone believe that Jackson (run by Dems) is/has been responsible for fixing this, and it had nothing to do with state budgets. It's ignorant, or simply disingenuous.
Would you like to know which of those I believe you are?

Last edited:

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I'd like UNCjigga to explain exactly how Blue States are going to get our planet to make it rain normally again.

The GOP is intent only on lowering taxes for the rich. That party could care less about thinking about the future.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
This situation is repeated (usually to a lesser degree) in nearly every city in the US, especially those in red states.

Funny but I can't seem to recall ANYTHING even close to this wide-spread happening in any of the New England states.

Sure you'll see the occasional "boil-water" warning usually due to a water-main break but they normally only last hours to at most a couple days in extreme cases.

Mississippi's State Government is a bad joke and just like in Texas I have exactly ZERO sympathy for any adult living in that $hithole who voted Republican..... they made their bed have fun lying in it.

(and better hope the local grocery is stocked up on Poland Spring!)

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
But that IS what you were inferring, despite trying to backpeddle after the initial comment. You are pulling a pcgeek, "those aren't the exact words I said even though it's exactly what I meant."

You would have everyone believe that Jackson (run by Dems) is/has been responsible for fixing this, and it had nothing to do with state budgets. It's ignorant, or simply disingenuous.
Would you like to know which of those I believe you are?
Pretty sure what I said is why are we laying all the blame at the feet of the GOP for a natural disaster not of their making while not even considering that the people in charge of the city for decades could possibly also have some responsibility here as well. Everyone is so quick to go into my team your team bullshit around here.

What I do know is I don't give a damn what you think I am in any respect. I proudly own what I said with no backpeddling of any kind.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante and Pohemi

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Pretty sure what I said is why are we laying all the blame at the feet of the GOP for a natural disaster not of their making while not even considering that the people in charge of the city for decades could possibly also have some responsibility here as well. Everyone is so quick to go into my team your team bullshit around here.

What I do know is I don't give a damn what you think I am in any respect. I proudly own what I said with no backpeddling of any kind.

I suggest doing a bit of reading next time prior to shooting off your mouth in order to avoid looking so dumb and uninformed.

This "natural disaster" was expected among those who run the water-system in Jackson and was only a "surprise" to the morons who mistakenly believed they could put off critical repairs indefinitely.

Last edited:

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004

Wow, you are so full of shit.
Natural disaster? If I didn't know better, I'd say you were being sarcastic. A failing water treatment infrastructure was NATURAL and therefore unpreventable in what world? Not in reality.

And no, you didn't own it. We can still see what you said and the order/time that you said it. It's funny how you act like your prior posts aren't recorded, searchable, and readable.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

So basically you want your retirement further subsidized by moving to a state that doesn't pay it's fair share of taxes. Fucking freeloader.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
We had a similar situation in the rural town where I lived in Nebraska a few years back, catastrophic flooding took our water treatment plant offline. Fortunately it was a much, much smaller number of people and we were able to tie into the county water supply instead, but were still under a water emergency for an extended period, and had to reduce our water usage by a significant amount.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
So basically you want your retirement further subsidized by moving to a state that doesn't pay it's fair share of taxes. Fucking freeloader.

California IS an absurdly over-priced place to live on the whole and SF is completely out of hand.

"Shrill" and insulting statements like the above do nothing for the impression you give of being an almost purely "reactionary" hot-head.

Moving to a less expensive place to live in retirement is SMART not "freeloading" and you would ALMOST CERTAINLY do the same. (don't lie and say you wouldn't)

catastrophic flooding took our water treatment plant offline

THIS is an example of a "natural" disaster! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: pcgeek11

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
California IS an absurdly over-priced place to live on the whole and SF is completely out of hand.

"Shrill" and insulting statements like the above do nothing for the impression you give of being an almost purely "reactionary" hot-head.

Moving to a less expensive place to live in retirement is SMART not "freeloading" and you would ALMOST CERTAINLY do the same. (don't lie and say you wouldn't)
Way to miss the point and it was somewhat a joke too.

But you can kindly go fuck off.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Way to miss the point and it was somewhat a joke too.

But you can kindly go fuck off.

And you as well! :p ;)

If I really "missed the point" please do feel free to enlighten me? (I could have sworn you were just being a dick lol)

You DO come across as a bit of "agitator" for lack of a better term sometimes.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Housing costs in CA are high largely due to Republicans voting for Prop 13 and boomers preventing the needed new construction for the past 30 years.

The state legislature is slowly but steadily addressing the second part of that at least.

Red states that are seeing a lot of growth are moving to cap property taxes now too so they're about to almost precisely replicate the same mistakes.