The Pentagon Leaker

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
We judge young people on their massive fucks ups we read about every so often but this is beyond a massive fuck up.

Sad to find out earlier today the military doesn't do death by firing squad anymore and they haven't lethally injected anyone in 60 years.

There is always time to start a new tradition in the military imo.

I guess one question on everyone’s mind right now—how does a 20-21 year old pass the necessary background check for Top Secret clearance?? Did they interview his high school guidance counselor?? How is it possible to clear someone so young??
The same way the military does for others his age who require it for their job or how college grads working at defense companies go through the year or longer process of being cleared.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
You ask a good question. The answer is that unfortunately they give too many people access.

That's a rather shocking number.
Still supposed to be a need to know. You can't just walk in, show your TS and start reading files. The real problem is they build too many, too big of networks that are obviously not locked down at all.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Oops...:

From a NY Times treatment currently:

Are they already hoping to strum your heart strings to forgive this guy? He loves the Celtics and his family dogs? How can you hate him? :rolleyes: WTF

They had a piece like that last week for the stupid judge in Texas that ruled against the FDA.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Oops...:

From a NY Times treatment currently:

Are they already hoping to strum your heart strings to forgive this guy? He loves the Celtics and his family dogs? How can you hate him? :rolleyes: WTF

That's no reason to pity him. The reason you should pity him is that he had no opportunity to escape growing up in s state of such mind bending stupidity. There but for the grace of God......

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I had a Top Secret Clearance at 20 years old...

Also was in the PRP Program for my entire career.

This Directive:

1. Reissues reference (a) to update policy, responsibilities, and
procedures for the management of the DoD Nuclear Weapon PRP.

2. Ensures the highest possible standards of individual reliability in personnel performing duties associated with nuclear weapons and critical components.

3. Requires the selection and retention of only those personnel who are emotionally stable, physically capable, and who have demonstrated reliability and professional competence. Individuals who do not meet or maintain program standards shall not be selected for, or retained in, the PRP or assigned duties associated with nuclear weapons.

Doesn’t everyone on a nuclear sub have a TSC?

BTW, who cleans the toilets on a sub?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I need to work for the FBI. Why am I so good at predicting the actions of these people?

It's not hard, just imagine the worst in human kind and there's your answer.
The same people who say there's no such thing as white priviledge also say that being white should allow someone to get away with violating our laws and national security.

Goddamn leftists and their identity politics..

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Apparently my powers of prediction weren't off.
I guess maybe the expectation is that the harshness of the punishments is meant to deter people from doing exactly what Private Schmuck here did?
At first I thought "maybe they should have some kind of alert system" but then realized General Asswipe might tell Private Schmuck to print off a bunch of docs for him and wouldn't appreciate complications in the process.

Reactions: Pohemi

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Still supposed to be a need to know. You can't just walk in, show your TS and start reading files. The real problem is they build too many, too big of networks that are obviously not locked down at all.
Except if you have a legitimate need to use them. I got cock blocked more than once by the idiots who locked down access to the SP Secret side of the network where I used to work. Of course they needlessly migrated stuff that used to be Confidential over to that same access point in the process. I was also fighting with trying to get my now upgraded to TS systems data for preview of Performance Logs that contained no classified data on them in my hands (my office in a secure area) to provide REALTIME information to the APL analysts of possible problems with collection of patrol data. It caused me to decide to retire 6 months earlier than I wanted to, but I just got tired of attending the same meetings over and over again with no resolution.