The *Official* Wii Thread...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Fraggable
Originally posted by: Born2bwire
Originally posted by: Fraggable
I just got my Wii yesterday morning. For anyone still trying to find one, Toys R Us told me they get shipments Sunday morning of 40-50 consoles, and they open at 10am. That's how I got mine.

My arms are sore from the boxing game that came with it, I must have played for 3 hours last night. There's something really fun about beating the crap out of a guy with glasses on. I also got Zelda: TP but I've already beat it on GC so I'm going to wait until I get bored with the other games to start on that. Excite Truck was ok, but I wasn't blown away by it.

OOooh, try to see if you can gives us your comparison between the GC and Wii versions of Zelda then.

I guess I can someday when I actually get time to play it on the Wii. So far all I've done is start the game and herd some goats into the barn. I never really felt like anything was missing on the GC as far as controls except maybe fishing, which was obviously designed for the new controller - but then I only fished twice to beat the game.

As far as I know the only differences are the controls, and the Wii version is a mirror image of the Gamecube version to make Link right-handed.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Wii is outselling PS3 4:1 in Japan. The slight game drought can be attributed to developer's wait-and-see attitude.

If a developer isn't on board yet, they will be soon. You can't really ignore such a large installed base when considering sales for a new game.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Wii is outselling PS3 4:1 in Japan. The slight game drought can be attributed to developer's wait-and-see attitude.

If a developer isn't on board yet, they will be soon. You can't really ignore such a large installed base when considering sales for a new game.

I just hope developers don't rush TOO much. Going back to Red Steel, it's entertaining, but barely worth the $30 to me.

I personally want to see a light saber game... heh

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
I heard that Nintendo is intentionally holding out on their own games to let some of the third party developers get their foots in the Wii game market. Everyone is jonesin for all the Nintendo titles.

The way the console is selling now, there will be a ton of good games available soon.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: lytalbayre
I agree that the wii is stagnating. It just proves that games can make or break a system. I never owned a gamecube, however, so I'm playing a few gamecube games that I would highly recommend: Tales of Symphonia, Resident Evil 4, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door are all fun games.

Didn't really get into any Wii games except Zelda. Wii sports is fun, but loses playability. Too bad they don't have tournament modes or seasons to track stats and rankings.

The only game on the horizon that I am looking forward to is Mario Galaxy. Hopefully we'll be suprised with some fun FPS or RPGs... but you never know.

I think Nintendo needs to start pushing hard to release some better titles, or the Wii will be forgotten by Summer.

they need internet play stat too.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Ah, another question (still looking for answers on the previous), d/l'ed the lets vote update.

Um like exactly how do you vote. Can get to the question but can't figure out how to get it to select/register my selection.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: lupi
Ah, another question (still looking for answers on the previous), d/l'ed the lets vote update.

Um like exactly how do you vote. Can get to the question but can't figure out how to get it to select/register my selection.

drag your mii to the answer you want.

I hate the fact it always asks if you want to predict. I want to turn that off.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Originally posted by: lupi

Press A+B to pick up your Mii, drag and drop.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: potato28
Originally posted by: mugs
Be a good OP like Queasy and keep the OP updated with the latest news. :)

I asked Dug in my PM... but I'll send him another one.

No, I mean in the future when there is big news about the Wii, put it in the OP of this thread. But yeah, Dug should put a link to this thread in his OP too. :)

O... well it'll most likely be from Wiifanboy, engadget, Destructiod, and Joystiq. Any other info can be PMed and it'll be posted!

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: lytalbayre
I agree that the wii is stagnating. It just proves that games can make or break a system. I never owned a gamecube, however, so I'm playing a few gamecube games that I would highly recommend: Tales of Symphonia, Resident Evil 4, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door are all fun games.

Didn't really get into any Wii games except Zelda. Wii sports is fun, but loses playability. Too bad they don't have tournament modes or seasons to track stats and rankings.

The only game on the horizon that I am looking forward to is Mario Galaxy. Hopefully we'll be suprised with some fun FPS or RPGs... but you never know.

I think Nintendo needs to start pushing hard to release some better titles, or the Wii will be forgotten by Summer.

It's a key feature for this generation of consoles.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
And unfortunately, I don't see Nintendo making good on it. Disappointing, but certainly not a deal breaker for me. But if they don't get online play working, that will be a huge blow to Nintendo for the hardcore fans.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: UTmtnbiker
My Wii is turning in to a party system. I haven't played Zelda in about a month now and am waiting for any other fun single player games to come out. Seems like a bunch of great party games have come out (Rayman, Warioware, etc) but very few compelling single player games.

I think that's where its greatest weakness is. No doubt it's a great system when you have people over, but for single player (along with online), I'm still playing my 360 probably on a 10:1 ratio.

EDIT for adding that I have big hopes for Metroid as a great single player game.

I thought the same thing when I got my Gamecube, all part games, not many good single player but hell, Metriod, Resident Evil 4, Paper Mario. They will come, just give the sustem time to mature.

toekramp

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2001
Mario Party was just delayed until summer... hopefully this is to implement online play correctly

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Lots of good news from GDC, looks like Super Paper Mario is a very intuitive game. Mario Party is also supposed to be Summer(?). Expect more games!

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: randomlinh
And unfortunately, I don't see Nintendo making good on it. Disappointing, but certainly not a deal breaker for me. But if they don't get online play working, that will be a huge blow to Nintendo for the hardcore fans.

They really need the online. Almost like everyone says Wii Sports should be updated with more sports, maybe online when they finally get to implementing it(when MP3 due?).

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
They really need the online. Almost like everyone says Wii Sports should be updated with more sports, maybe online when they finally get to implementing it(when MP3 due?).

I don't think wii sports should be updated... I think someone should remake the individual games. Bowling is the only "realistic" one on there I think, so maybe that could be updated for online play.

But a fully out Tennis, boxing... that would be seriously cool if someone made it...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So I installed my Wiinja Deluxe last night.

Taking the Wii apart is definitely a process. The thing about the deluxe chip is that is has an extra wire that must be soldered to the motherboard, where as the other 5 wires (and most chips only have these 5 wires) are soldered to the dvdrom.

And let me tell you. It's very tediuos to take the wii apart to the motherboard, and even at that point, the 1 wire that I Had to solder to the motherboard was a PITA to actually get soldered, but I eventually did it.

After about 2 hours of taking apart/soldering/putting back together my Wii it was time to test it out, and right away I booted up with a back-up of zelda that I made of my copy.

And sure enough, it loaded up just fine :)

Now I have to grab some of the homebrew stuff, and apparently there is a DVD player out there (or in the works atleast).

Qwest

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: purbeast0

Taking the Wii apart is definitely a process. The thing about the deluxe chip is that is has an extra wire that must be soldered to the motherboard, where as the other 5 wires (and most chips only have these 5 wires) are soldered to the dvdrom.

And let me tell you. It's very tediuos to take the wii apart to the motherboard, and even at that point, the 1 wire that I Had to solder to the motherboard was a PITA to actually get soldered, but I eventually did it.

After about 2 hours of taking apart/soldering/putting back together my Wii it was time to test it out, and right away I booted up with a back-up of zelda that I made of my copy.

Now I have to grab some of the homebrew stuff, and apparently there is a DVD player out there (or in the works atleast).

thanks for the update...I was waiting until you got your chip. Sounds like a pain but could be worth it.

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I have some questions and concerns regarding the Wii. I now understand how truly popular this console is and I was originally thinking of going the PS3 route however lack of games and an astronomical price of $499.99 had deterred me. I am very interested in buying a Wii but I have a few questions.....

1) How have most people adapted to the controller, I know its different than past traditional controllers and I am a big fan of the PS2 controller.
2) How are the current games out right now compared to the PS3? How does Madden look? Does it play just as well on the Wii? Does the Wii controller make the game any less fun?
3) Is Nintendo going to start coming out with adult(and by adult I mean fighting, FPS, and others) type games?
4) Are there ANY disadvantages or issues with owning a Wii?

Thanks guys!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Qwest
Originally posted by: purbeast0

thanks for the update...I was waiting until you got your chip. Sounds like a pain but could be worth it.

If it weren't for that 1 wire, it would be REALLY easy. It would be considered easier than the Xbox IMO and just slightly tougher than a PSX was back in the day.

But that 1 extra wire made it take a lot longer and was tough to actually solder down. But the wire is actually optional; it's so you can actually update the chip, which is the benefit of the wiinja deluxe over the other chips. none of the other chips require this additional wire.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: ScottFern
I have some questions and concerns regarding the Wii. I now understand how truly popular this console is and I was originally thinking of going the PS3 route however lack of games and an astronomical price of $499.99 had deterred me. I am very interested in buying a Wii but I have a few questions.....

1) How have most people adapted to the controller, I know its different than past traditional controllers and I am a big fan of the PS2 controller.
2) How are the current games out right now compared to the PS3? How does Madden look? Does it play just as well on the Wii? Does the Wii controller make the game any less fun?
3) Is Nintendo going to start coming out with adult(and by adult I mean fighting, FPS, and others) type games?

Thanks guys!

I'll try to answer the questions I can in honest opinions ...

1. The controller is definitely different. Some games take advantage of it better than others. It is definitely VERy comfortable though and feels very natural. One thing I found out last night since it's the first time I've played since I got my new couches, is that the distance of the pointer of the remote is not that far. my couch is probably 12 feet or so from the TV, and when I lean back on it all the way, the sensor will not pick up the pointer, so I kind of have to lean forward for it to work.

2. The graphics of the Wii aren't that great. They are not much better than Xbox graphics. This shows in madden. I've played it and it's pretty fun and definitely different, and takes some getting used to, but doing stuff in it is a little more rewarding than just pushing buttons. For instance, to throw your hands up and grab the ball as a receiver, on PS2 or Xbox you push Triangle/Y. On the Wii, you literally lift both hands over your head, pulling the nunchuck and wiimote over your head. It definitely feels rewarding to make a play that way.

3. Not sure about this one actually. The video for Mario Galaxy that I saw yesterday did not impress me at all. I don't like the environment and I don't like the whole no gravity thing they have going on. Metroid Prime 3 should be coming out this summer.

4. Main disadvantage I can think of is that the console isn't going to support online gaming to any degree close to say Xbox360 is doing. Online gaming is the back end of the Xbox360, whereas for the Wii, it's something they aren't pushing at all nor do they care about. Also you may want to know, there is a SLIGHT delay with the pointer of the Wii controller, and it is not as accurate as you may think. If you are comparing the pointing of the Wiimote to that of a light gun, the light gun is much more accurate. If shooting games did not have a cursor on screen, it would be very tough to actuall aim in games.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

Thanks guys!

1) it takes a little to get used to, especially for certain games. For instance, I have Red Steel, an FPS game, and its kind of awkward to me. the sensitivity is too high imo. you can adjust it, but its not a fine adjustment. the lower sensitivity is too low to me, so there isn't a good median.

some games it feels really intuitive, like Zelda or Rayman. Some games really give your arms a workout too.

2) I'm a bit disappointed with current games. I have Zelda, Red Steel, Rayman: Raving Rabids, Metal Slug Anthology. I think thats all. I honestly haven't played it much recently.
Most of the games seem to just be fluff to show off the Wii remote's capabilities. Rayman is the most notable for this. Its just a bunch of mini games. There are some other games out that I haven't played too, so I can't say much for those.

I haven't played any PS3 games or Madden either, so I can't compare.

3) There are already several adult themed games out. Zelda, Red Steel, NFS: Carbon, SSX Blur, CoD3, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Farcry: Vengeance, Poker, and Fishing. There's a Prince of Persia game coming out soon. Also Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII, The Godfather, Tiger Woods Golf, Medal of Honor, Mortal Kombat, and several others.

4) No online play is my biggest issue right now. I think the game selection right now is a bit weak. The controller in some games doesn't work so well. Can't save games/load games to/from a memory card (except for GC games). Have to buy separate controllers and memory cards to play GC games.

mlm

Feb 19, 2006

Thanks guys!

1) The controller isn't too bad--it's light and fits into my (small) hand. However, I don't like the way it feels when you have to hold if pointer-flat (Super Monkey Ball). It feels like it's straining my wrist. In that aspect, I think PS3's fl0w handles it better.

I have read many complaints about holding it NES style. The controller is a bit lopsided, so I think it bothers people with larger hands.

You can probably head over to EB/Gamestop and play the demo to get a feel of it.

2) This is its weakest point, IMO. Right now, it's more of a party system. Sure there's Zelda, but that's just one game. That's even less of an incentive if you would like to play it GC-style.

(On that note, some newer games have the option to switch between Wiimote/nunchuk and Classic)

PS3 on the other hand has a good base with single-player/two-player games. They're also building a really nice library of PSN (download-only) titles whereas right now the Wii is only doing the retro thing.

3) Don't hold your breath. Not to say that their upcoming titles aren't fun, but they're clearly geared towards pleasing everybody.

i know there's at least one Mature title coming out, but Nintendo chooses not to acknowledge it.

4) There seems to be a higher percentage of Wiis that have died compared to the PS3 (though not anywhere near the 360). Be cautious wasting your time entering Wii Codes and amassing Miis because they WILL be lost if your console breaks :(