The *Official* Wii Thread...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
48,924
45
91
Originally posted by: potato28
Originally posted by: mugs
Be a good OP like Queasy and keep the OP updated with the latest news. :)

I asked Dug in my PM... but I'll send him another one.

No, I mean in the future when there is big news about the Wii, put it in the OP of this thread. But yeah, Dug should put a link to this thread in his OP too. :)

 
Mar 11, 2004
23,102
5,581
146
Well, finally played a Wii last night. Was about like I expected (wasn't impressed really at all). I think I was irritating my friend's fiancee because I wasn't standing up and swinging my arms, just flicked my wrist while sitting there (and was doing as good as them). The Wii sports games are really simple (I can't believe they act like giving that away free is a great deal, as I would pay maybe $5 for it).

So basically, yeah, I won't be buying a Wii until Smash Bros. comes out and even then, there's good chance I still won't. They could easily do everything the Wii is capable of with a specially designed controller for the 360 or PS3 (and the games would benefit from the better presentation as well).

Don't get me wrong, its ok (although I think its overpriced for what it is), but for me personally the novelty just isn't there at all.

 

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
36,041
472
126
Originally posted by: darkswordsman17
Well, finally played a Wii last night. Was about like I expected (wasn't impressed really at all). I think I was irritating my friend's fiancee because I wasn't standing up and swinging my arms, just flicked my wrist while sitting there (and was doing as good as them). The Wii sports games are really simple (I can't believe they act like giving that away free is a great deal, as I would pay maybe $5 for it).

So basically, yeah, I won't be buying a Wii until Smash Bros. comes out and even then, there's good chance I still won't. They could easily do everything the Wii is capable of with a specially designed controller for the 360 or PS3 (and the games would benefit from the better presentation as well).

Don't get me wrong, its ok (although I think its overpriced for what it is), but for me personally the novelty just isn't there at all.


Reviews for Wii Play have been Meh and I don't need another Wiimote so I'm not going to buy it. I have all the games I need so I'm going to wait until SSB comes out also
 

Indolent

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2003
2,128
2
0
Mario Party is out tomorrow. Who's getting it?


*edit* or not.... apparently it was delayed and some websites didn't change their lists (IGN).
 

bigdog1218

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
1,674
2
0
Originally posted by: darkswordsman17
Well, finally played a Wii last night. Was about like I expected (wasn't impressed really at all). I think I was irritating my friend's fiancee because I wasn't standing up and swinging my arms, just flicked my wrist while sitting there (and was doing as good as them). The Wii sports games are really simple (I can't believe they act like giving that away free is a great deal, as I would pay maybe $5 for it).

So basically, yeah, I won't be buying a Wii until Smash Bros. comes out and even then, there's good chance I still won't. They could easily do everything the Wii is capable of with a specially designed controller for the 360 or PS3 (and the games would benefit from the better presentation as well).

Don't get me wrong, its ok (although I think its overpriced for what it is), but for me personally the novelty just isn't there at all.

I don't understand how the Wii is overpriced. Considering the PS3 costs $500-$600, and the 360 costs $500+ to get online, $250 for everything included is a steal. Nintendo is saving gaming once again, shiny and expensive doesn't equal good.
 

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
95,352
15,312
126
I hope this sucker is built well, all that constant reset is not good for anything.
 

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
7,158
1
81
Has anyone bought the Metal Slug anthology? Metal Slug 1-6 which looks super cool and it was only $30 at Fry's when I checked this weekend. Wondering if it's worth getting?
 

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
43,806
46
91
Originally posted by: abaez
Has anyone bought the Metal Slug anthology? Metal Slug 1-6 which looks super cool and it was only $30 at Fry's when I checked this weekend. Wondering if it's worth getting?

i did and its a lot of fun. its really hard, but fun. when you lose all your lives, it allows you to continue right where you left off too so that makes it a bit easier.
 

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
9,840
6
71
Originally posted by: abaez
Has anyone bought the Metal Slug anthology? Metal Slug 1-6 which looks super cool and it was only $30 at Fry's when I checked this weekend. Wondering if it's worth getting?

If you like Metal Slug, yes. They're ludicrously fun. The only problem is that they have load times interspersed with the stages that weren't there in the standup versions. The result being that they kinda break up the flow of the game. I just don't see why they could not load the entire game into memory. But don't expect anything more than just the games, the extras are practically nil. The game also reproduces the same hardware limitations that you see in the standup's. So if you compare Metal Slug 3 and X, you'll notice more slowdowns in 3 due to the differences in hardware. Finally, the only control scheme worthwhile is the gamecube controller (well, some would also mention one of the Wiimote variants is useful too) but again they strangely did not include the classic controller as one of the control schemes.
 

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
7,158
1
81
Awesome, I'm gonna pick it up this weekend then. I still have my wavebird, I love that controller so that's also a bonus.
 

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
2,799
0
0
I just got my Wii yesterday morning. For anyone still trying to find one, Toys R Us told me they get shipments Sunday morning of 40-50 consoles, and they open at 10am. That's how I got mine.

My arms are sore from the boxing game that came with it, I must have played for 3 hours last night. There's something really fun about beating the crap out of a guy with glasses on. I also got Zelda: TP but I've already beat it on GC so I'm going to wait until I get bored with the other games to start on that. Excite Truck was ok, but I wasn't blown away by it.
 

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
9,840
6
71
Originally posted by: Fraggable
I just got my Wii yesterday morning. For anyone still trying to find one, Toys R Us told me they get shipments Sunday morning of 40-50 consoles, and they open at 10am. That's how I got mine.

My arms are sore from the boxing game that came with it, I must have played for 3 hours last night. There's something really fun about beating the crap out of a guy with glasses on. I also got Zelda: TP but I've already beat it on GC so I'm going to wait until I get bored with the other games to start on that. Excite Truck was ok, but I wasn't blown away by it.

OOooh, try to see if you can gives us your comparison between the GC and Wii versions of Zelda then.
 

lytalbayre

Senior member
Apr 28, 2005
842
2
81
I agree that the wii is stagnating. It just proves that games can make or break a system. I never owned a gamecube, however, so I'm playing a few gamecube games that I would highly recommend: Tales of Symphonia, Resident Evil 4, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door are all fun games.

Didn't really get into any Wii games except Zelda. Wii sports is fun, but loses playability. Too bad they don't have tournament modes or seasons to track stats and rankings.

The only game on the horizon that I am looking forward to is Mario Galaxy. Hopefully we'll be suprised with some fun FPS or RPGs... but you never know.

I think Nintendo needs to start pushing hard to release some better titles, or the Wii will be forgotten by Summer.
 

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
48,924
45
91
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Originally posted by: darkswordsman17
Well, finally played a Wii last night. Was about like I expected (wasn't impressed really at all). I think I was irritating my friend's fiancee because I wasn't standing up and swinging my arms, just flicked my wrist while sitting there (and was doing as good as them). The Wii sports games are really simple (I can't believe they act like giving that away free is a great deal, as I would pay maybe $5 for it).

So basically, yeah, I won't be buying a Wii until Smash Bros. comes out and even then, there's good chance I still won't. They could easily do everything the Wii is capable of with a specially designed controller for the 360 or PS3 (and the games would benefit from the better presentation as well).

Don't get me wrong, its ok (although I think its overpriced for what it is), but for me personally the novelty just isn't there at all.


Reviews for Wii Play have been Meh and I don't need another Wiimote so I'm not going to buy it. I have all the games I need so I'm going to wait until SSB comes out also

Yeah - it's alright for the price you pay if you need another remote, but I wouldn't pay much more for it. I really like the tank game since it's very much like Combat, which was my favorite game on the Atari 2600. The shooting game is fun too, the pool is alright, and the laser hockey is not bad. It just doesn't have a whole lot of replayability.
 

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
31,796
2
0
No 3rd Party Online Play Until 2008?

News is starting to fly over the Internet that Wii might not see any third-party titles with online capability until sometime in 2008.

The word comes from SNK UK?s Ben Herman in an interview with Spong.com. It seems Nintendo is restricting third parties from using online play in their Wii titles, but he didn?t offer explanation.

"Nintendo is still not letting Wii third-party publishers include online capabilities in their games and it doesn't look like they will during 2007. So the best chance they have at building an online presence appears to be what they're doing with Virtual Console," Herman said in the interview with Sponge.

Play.tm is guessing Nintnendo wants ot stablize its online platform before allowing it to open freely to third-party titles.

This sounds like as good a guess as any. With the recent problems faced by the PlayStation Network in regard to the Gran Turismo HD demo, there?s no denying getting a platform up and running without bugs is tricky ? even for the best of them.

Nintendo taking its time, trying to make it right, wouldn?t be out of the question.

Disappointing to say the least....
 

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
32,539
260
126
Red Steel on sale this week at BB. Is it any good?


I have all the zeldas on GC/Wii except linked adventures (think that"s the name). Is that a good title to pick up if you don't have a DS?.

Was going to pick up RE4 to finish my collection, but now I see its coming for PC and am torn.
 

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
58,246
12,423
136
Super Paper Mario is due for release in just over a month. It looks like it should be a lot of fun.
 

UTmtnbiker

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
4,129
4
81
My Wii is turning in to a party system. I haven't played Zelda in about a month now and am waiting for any other fun single player games to come out. Seems like a bunch of great party games have come out (Rayman, Warioware, etc) but very few compelling single player games.

I think that's where its greatest weakness is. No doubt it's a great system when you have people over, but for single player (along with online), I'm still playing my 360 probably on a 10:1 ratio.

EDIT for adding that I have big hopes for Metroid as a great single player game.
 

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
4,902
5
81
Originally posted by: lytalbayre
I agree that the wii is stagnating. It just proves that games can make or break a system. I never owned a gamecube, however, so I'm playing a few gamecube games that I would highly recommend: Tales of Symphonia, Resident Evil 4, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door are all fun games.

Didn't really get into any Wii games except Zelda. Wii sports is fun, but loses playability. Too bad they don't have tournament modes or seasons to track stats and rankings.

The only game on the horizon that I am looking forward to is Mario Galaxy. Hopefully we'll be suprised with some fun FPS or RPGs... but you never know.

I think Nintendo needs to start pushing hard to release some better titles, or the Wii will be forgotten by Summer.
Every system has a lull for a few months after release...the PS3 is the same rut right now, and the 360 had the same problem the winter/spring after its launch. Sony and Nintendo are releasing games on their download services to try to fill the gap, but the picture will change this summer and fall when the next round of games comes out.

 

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
48,924
45
91
Originally posted by: Queasy
No 3rd Party Online Play Until 2008?

News is starting to fly over the Internet that Wii might not see any third-party titles with online capability until sometime in 2008.

The word comes from SNK UK?s Ben Herman in an interview with Spong.com. It seems Nintendo is restricting third parties from using online play in their Wii titles, but he didn?t offer explanation.

"Nintendo is still not letting Wii third-party publishers include online capabilities in their games and it doesn't look like they will during 2007. So the best chance they have at building an online presence appears to be what they're doing with Virtual Console," Herman said in the interview with Sponge.

Play.tm is guessing Nintnendo wants ot stablize its online platform before allowing it to open freely to third-party titles.

This sounds like as good a guess as any. With the recent problems faced by the PlayStation Network in regard to the Gran Turismo HD demo, there?s no denying getting a platform up and running without bugs is tricky ? even for the best of them.

Nintendo taking its time, trying to make it right, wouldn?t be out of the question.

Disappointing to say the least....

Stupid Nintendo. :( They've had plenty of time to get online play working - they should have known as soon as XBox Live took off that online play would be huge this time around.

My biggest complaints about the Wii so far are:
1. No online or LAN multiplayer. :(
2. Can't save or load games directly to/from SD cards
3. Can't create a "virtual GameCube memory card" to save Gamecube games on the system memory.
4. Slow release and high price of VC games. No Napster-type VC "subscription" option.
 

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
48,924
45
91
Originally posted by: A5
Originally posted by: lytalbayre
I agree that the wii is stagnating. It just proves that games can make or break a system. I never owned a gamecube, however, so I'm playing a few gamecube games that I would highly recommend: Tales of Symphonia, Resident Evil 4, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door are all fun games.

Didn't really get into any Wii games except Zelda. Wii sports is fun, but loses playability. Too bad they don't have tournament modes or seasons to track stats and rankings.

The only game on the horizon that I am looking forward to is Mario Galaxy. Hopefully we'll be suprised with some fun FPS or RPGs... but you never know.

I think Nintendo needs to start pushing hard to release some better titles, or the Wii will be forgotten by Summer.
Every system has a lull for a few months after release...the PS3 is the same rut right now, and the 360 had the same problem the winter/spring after its launch. Sony and Nintendo are releasing games on their download services to try to fill the gap, but the picture will change this summer and fall when the next round of games comes out.

Yeah, I think the outlook for games is not looking too bad right now, and with the huge popularity of the system I'm sure there are a lot of games in development/starting development.

If you like tactical RPGs, hopefully the Fire Emblem game will be coming to the US soon.
 

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
11,631
2
0
Anyone heard if there's going to be a music channel? Making you listen through the slideshow kinda sucks.
 

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
2,799
0
0
Originally posted by: Born2bwire
Originally posted by: Fraggable
I just got my Wii yesterday morning. For anyone still trying to find one, Toys R Us told me they get shipments Sunday morning of 40-50 consoles, and they open at 10am. That's how I got mine.

My arms are sore from the boxing game that came with it, I must have played for 3 hours last night. There's something really fun about beating the crap out of a guy with glasses on. I also got Zelda: TP but I've already beat it on GC so I'm going to wait until I get bored with the other games to start on that. Excite Truck was ok, but I wasn't blown away by it.

OOooh, try to see if you can gives us your comparison between the GC and Wii versions of Zelda then.

I guess I can someday when I actually get time to play it on the Wii. So far all I've done is start the game and herd some goats into the barn. I never really felt like anything was missing on the GC as far as controls except maybe fishing, which was obviously designed for the new controller - but then I only fished twice to beat the game.