The Official iPhone 5 Thread

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

joutlaw

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2008
I got my phone Thursday and went to New Orleans. Once we hit Hammond, I got LTE coverage. Friday on the way home I noticed that I had LTE where I live. Sometime on Thursday night AT&T turned LTE on in my city. Quite the timing for me.

My best has been 57Mbps down and 25Mbps up. Absolutely crazy fast for a phone.

One issue I am seeing is we have 3G Microcell at work. My phone prefers the 3G Microcell over LTE.

JC86

Jan 18, 2007
I know right after launch there were some reports about wifi issues with the iPhone 5. Has anyone had issues with their home wifi networks?

I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid but sometimes Safari would freeze for 5-10 seconds when I open a page before the page would load. It's hard to be sure what's causing that lag since it could be the website server, speed of my home wifi etc but the lag isn't there when on LTE.

It's also not a readily replicable problem so I feel like they'll think i'm an idiot for going to apple store and then not be able to replicate the issue. Thoughts?

Apr 17, 2003
Is anyone having a problem w/ poor standby times? I bought my phone on Saturday, fully charged once on Sunday, by this morning, I was at 62% when I left the house...it's now 6 hours later and I'm at 36% and all I did is send/receive 3 text messages today and check my portfolio for a few seconds.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Is anyone having a problem w/ poor standby times? I bought my phone on Saturday, fully charged once on Sunday, by this morning, I was at 62% when I left the house...it's now 6 hours later and I'm at 36% and all I did is send/receive 3 text messages today and check my portfolio for a few seconds.

Turn off location services? Or poor cell reception?

GregGreen

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000

I was reading on the Macrumors forums that a lot of people that set up their phone off a backup of their old phones were having similar issues. Might be worth a try to wipe it to factory and try setting it up as a new phone? If you go over there, I'm sure you could find the thread.

Apr 17, 2003
I was reading on the Macrumors forums that a lot of people that set up their phone off a backup of their old phones were having similar issues. Might be worth a try to wipe it to factory and try setting it up as a new phone? If you go over there, I'm sure you could find the thread.

Thanks. Does that mean I have to manually input my contacts, playlists, etc?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I got 61.02 Mbps on LTE. :eek: Holy crap!

I only get 20 Mbps, but it's not like I'm complaining! :p However, I got an e-mail and text from Verizon today stating that I'm already at 50% of my cap and it doesn't reset until the 26th. :( I might just go from 2GB to 4GB as that's only a $10 increase.

I wonder if Splashtop is what's killing my bandwidth. I use it at my desktop's default resolution (1080p for monitor 1 or 1920x1200 for monitor 2). I could imagine that using quite a few MBs. :p

Apr 17, 2003
ok so I let it drain to zero and shut off, then plugged it in to 100% full charge. I'm at 95% percent in 5.5hours...looks like the full charge cycle did the trick.

Oct 10, 2012
131351_643833970171_711340345_o.jpg

How is everyone doing on battery life? Is this normal?

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Got the iphone 5 couple of days ago. Love it so far. LTE is crazy fast!

Our two have not even shipped yet.

I hope I get them before 10/24 - I am going away for a long weekend and would love to have them.

:(

MotionMan

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
I thought it was just me. But... after using the iPhone 5 for the past week and a half, I've realized that... they fixed the auto-brightness issue!

The screen will automatically adjust itself down in low brightness!

Finally! Only had to wait 4 years...

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm trying to figure out how in the world I have apparently used 3GB of data in less than half a month. About 90-95% of my time is spent just looking at Twitter, Facebook or my e-mail. The majority of what I did is no different than on AT&T, and I only saw around 500MB of usage over the course of a month.

I considered that Splashtop having more bandwidth causes it to use more. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. I ran a quick test at home, and it appeared to use around 200KB/s, which is rather paltry. I've downloaded a few apps around 15MB each, and listened to the Anandtech podcast twice (about 100MB each). My only thought is that I could have been hit by the Verizon-only WiFi issue that got fixed at the end of September.

I also need to look into my battery life, because it is downright awful. When listening to the podcast yesterday, I noticed that my battery was dropping like crazy. Over the course of around an hour, I downloaded said podcast and left my screen off, but I lost over 10% of my battery life. :eek:

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
ok so I let it drain to zero and shut off, then plugged it in to 100% full charge. I'm at 95% percent in 5.5hours...looks like the full charge cycle did the trick.
Just curious -- before doing the drain-and-shutoff, did you try just restarting first to see if that did anything?

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
I know everyone says its bs now and it was supposedly just a glitch a long time ago, but i will never restore my phone from backup when there is a major iOS release. Havent had battery issues yet. Also, i reset my phone every once in a while and clear out my apps.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001

I hope I get them before 10/24 - I am going away for a long weekend and would love to have them.

MotionMan

I actually just called a few different Apple stores to see which had it in stock then picked it up.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I'm trying to figure out how in the world I have apparently used 3GB of data in less than half a month. About 90-95% of my time is spent just looking at Twitter, Facebook or my e-mail. The majority of what I did is no different than on AT&T, and I only saw around 500MB of usage over the course of a month.

I considered that Splashtop having more bandwidth causes it to use more. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. I ran a quick test at home, and it appeared to use around 200KB/s, which is rather paltry. I've downloaded a few apps around 15MB each, and listened to the Anandtech podcast twice (about 100MB each). My only thought is that I could have been hit by the Verizon-only WiFi issue that got fixed at the end of September.

I also need to look into my battery life, because it is downright awful. When listening to the podcast yesterday, I noticed that my battery was dropping like crazy. Over the course of around an hour, I downloaded said podcast and left my screen off, but I lost over 10% of my battery life. :eek:

iCloud?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

It doesn't look like it. iCloud does report that I've used 1.2GB, but I've got a ~250MB backup on there (not sure how old that is) and about 250KB of documents and data. So, I'm not sure how I've used 1.2GB of data with it.

All I know is that I've got two weeks left and only 1GB to cover it! I've got to ration! :$

zaydq

Jul 8, 2012
Walked into a Rogers corporate store today and they had 2 Iphones left. One of them was a black 16GB version and the other was a 64GB white version. I opted for the 16GB considering I've never been a huge file junkie and also because I couldn't quite afford the 64GB with all the early upgrade fees I had to pay. So far, I'm quite addicted to it, but I have not even unleashed 1% of the greatness.

For the record, i'm in Canada and out of the 4 Rogers stores, 2 Telus stores, 2 Bell stores, 1 independent retailer and 1 Apple store, the rogers store I walked into was the only one with them available... helped me considering they are tucked into a relatively untouched part of town for these sorts of things.

My wife bought a 32GB GS3, i'm slightly jealous of the big screen and lovely GUI functionality, but its noticeably slower, a bit less user friendly, bulky and ugly. It could also be me, but the camera on the GS3 seems to produce a better quality picture... or maybe i'm just bad at taking photos.

Last edited:

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006

MotionMan

Still have not shipped. Once they show as shipped, how long should they take to get to Los Angeles? Are these coming on a slow boat from China?

MotionMan