The Official iPhone 5 Thread

Discussion in 'All Things Apple' started by ManBearPig, Sep 10, 2012.

1. narreth

narreth Senior member

Hey guys, just recently got an iPhone 5 (upgrading from a 2008 blackberry curve, so its been quite the upgrade!).

Love the phone, and I was using a screen protector for the first 2 days of use (phone is 3 days old). There was a crack in the screen protector so I took it off, but I find the bare iphone screen to be a bit more "rough". i.e. there's more friction when i move my fingers over the screen. Is this something that would get better with time, or do I need another screen protector for it to be really smooth again?

2. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

My screen doesn't feel rough at all** To note, I don't use screen protectors as I find that they get too gunky after awhile**

3. Gunslinger08

Gunslinger08 Lifer

Anybody found a generic USB to Lightning cable that actually works?

4. MotionMan

MotionMan Lifer

Anybody found a generic USB to Lightning cable to buy? Link?

MotionMan

5. Narse

Narse Moderator<br>Computer Help

They just rolled out LTE here in Mobile AL and man am I super impressed.

[​IMG]

6. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

Every time I see someone post a LTE Speed Test, they always get such high speeds. All I ever seem to get is a 20Mbps maximum. Verizon must've given us the B-grade equipment. :\

7. Printer Bandit

why does +20Mbps speed on a phone matter anyways..? not like you're downloading torrents.

8. Narse

Narse Moderator<br>Computer Help

I tether ALOT for work when I travel and pulling down a 1-2gb image file goes alot quicker with LTE. Also I never torrent or pirate.

9. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

Has anyone seen their carrier disappear on them? Here's a capture that I took of it:

http://i.imgur.com/gH6dv.jpg

I've had it happen three times so far that I've seen as it normally corrects itself after 5 seconds or so.

EDIT:

To note, it isn't just a visual anomaly as the data connection is completely unusable at that time.

#609 Aikouka, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  10. Anonemous

Anonemous Diamond Member

/misses tethering :(

11. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

It's "free" with the share everything plan, and hell... it ought to be for how much they charge! :p

12. Printer Bandit

anyone notice a rattling sleep button? when you tap the phone or put it down on a table?

13. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

Yeah, my work phone exhibited this since day one. I always laugh when people call this a quality made phone.

14. ControlD

ControlD Diamond Member

My 4S makes the same noise. I figured it was a feature.

15. ChAoTiCpInOy

ChAoTiCpInOy Diamond Member

It's the vibration motor in the iPhone 4S. It's a nicer sound when it vibrates but when you tap the iPhone it makes that weird noise. They switched back to the iPhone 4 type vibration motor but it still vibrates kind of like the 4S.

16. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

Well, it's safe to say that the iPhone 5 and/or iOS 6 doesn't stop the no-mic problem that I had with my 4S. Essentially, randomly when I call people (which isn't often), they can't hear me until I turn on the speaker phone.

17. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

You know which iOS6 change I'm starting to loathe? The colored title bar. Why can't it just stay black? It needs to be consistent, not shaded like the app.

Sounds like you have bad hardware or maybe you're covering the mic and don't realize it or something... Hasn't happened to me in 4 years of owning an iPhone.

No. Elaborate. The sleep button is a separate piece from the unibody aluminum band, so I imagine it could rattle, but I've not experienced it and mine doesn't have a lot of play.

You always laugh when anyone says they like an iPhone period.

18. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

It never happened to me on the ~2.5 years that I spent with the 3GS, but it started happening to me with the 4S. I had my 4S replaced once, and it didn't fix the call issue or the AT&T data drop issue. I'm not sure if I could really cover the mic... isn't it on the bottom of the phone (the left set of holes)? One thought was whether it's the noise cancellation that's cutting out my voice for some reason.

EDIT:

I'm guessing that he's talking about that slight rattling noise that you hear when you set the phone down. I hear it as well, but I've never really had a problem with it.

19. Spicedaddy

Spicedaddy Platinum Member

The rattle is the camera lens.

20. deanx0r

deanx0r Senior member

Finally upgraded to the iPhone 5 from an 3G. The craftsmanship of this phone just screams high end, the light weight is nice and it just feels incredibly great to hold. I can definitively appreciate the speed increase too, I just hope it won't get slower as the 3G did with future iOS updates.

The camera is pretty darn good for a phone. You get snapshots done quickly and discreetly. I just miss the guilty pleasure of shooting with something more mechanical like a DLSR. The camera apps need to include support for shutter or aperture priority modes maybe if that possible, maybe exposure compensation too. The apps available on the store for retouching are also really nice. It takes only a few steps to fix a shot, and its very accessible compare to other desktop tools like Aperture or Lightroom.

[​IMG]

21. Nahtzee

Nahtzee Member

is there a swype app for iOS yet? will there ever be?

22. MrX8503

MrX8503 Diamond Member

There isn't and I don't think there ever will be. Apple doesn't allow core changes to their OS.

23. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Now that Google has finally added it to stock Android, I see Apple following suit at some point.

24. eelw

eelw Diamond Member

But who owns the swype patent? Doubt Apple would ever pay to use it on iOS.

25. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Why's that? Google got swipe typing working natively in Android, so obviously it's easy for Apple to do as well.