The Official iPhone 5 Thread

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
As far as I'm aware, Swype has built a fully functional iOS version of the keyboard sometime last year. I believe they showed it off. Right now, however, it only works in the Swype "app" since it can't be plugged in to the keyboard API's.

But yeah, I wouldn't be trying to count down the days until Swype becomes part of the OS or Apple allows alternative keyboards. I don't believe either are likely to happen.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
It's another way to type, but it isn't a qwerty keyboard. I guess Apple could include swype if the keyboard skin looked the same and didn't affect the default keyboard.

That's exactly what Google did. They didn't bundle the Swype keyboard, they added swipe typing to the stock Android keyboard. I imagine Apple will follow suit at some point.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
That would be a cool idea. I could see Apple adding swype just as long as it doesn't muck up the current one.

It would be awhile though. Apple hasn't changed their keyboard on a long time. Other than possibly being smarter.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So, I was streaming IGN's IPL5 for about an hour and a half yesterday when I had to abruptly stop. Why? I received a text from Verizon that I had hit 90% data usage. That seems even worse when I add that I have a 4GB plan and my usage had reset only three days prior. Using probably around 3.5GB for an hour and a half seems... off. I know there were reports of ridiculously high data usage while streaming, and even I saw it while streaming podcasts -- Anandtech's 100MB podcast chewed up nearly 1.7GB of data last month. Now, I download all podcasts at home and transfer them to my iPhone.

Is anyone else still having this problem while streaming?

minimalone

Dec 2, 2012
Just took a picture with my iphone 5. It seems that the top left part of the image has a slight pink hue to it ? Or does it only seem to me?
05CEf.jpg

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I bought an unlock for my 5 and my wife's 4S Friday and wiped my device to complete it. When I restored from my backup, my phone then redoenloaded all of the apps I had installed on the phone. So this is new in iOS6.

It's kind of nice, something Android's done for a while, but I was kind of bummed because I was actually looking forward to starting over with a fresh install of no apps.

Zink

Sep 24, 2009
Taking a picture of an LCD screen to check for color uniformity has two issues.
1. The LCD panel will have color shift as the angle it is being observed at shifts from perpendicular.
2. The surface of the display is creating a mirror image of the room.
Go outside where you can be sure the lighting is very even and take a few pictures of a wall. If all of the pictures have the same inconsistent color you have a problem.