The OFFICIAL Anandtech Forums TeS V: Skyrim Thread

Page 173 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Madia

May 2, 2006
Did anyone buy hearthfire? It's about $3 on the steam sale now and I was wondering if it's worth picking it up. The main thing that concerns me was the stories of bugs in which your family in permantly killed by bandits/giants/etc. or your spouse constantly moonwalking after being kidnapped.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Did anyone buy hearthfire? It's about $3 on the steam sale now and I was wondering if it's worth picking it up. The main thing that concerns me was the stories of bugs in which your family in permantly killed by bandits/giants/etc. or your spouse constantly moonwalking after being kidnapped.

I have my eyes on the DLCs. Consistent to the Steam Sale Golden Rule™, I'm not buying until they're on a daily or a flash sale. Right now both are at 33% off. I won't be surprised if on a daily or flash the discount would go up to 50% or even 60%.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001

It's worth it. Nice to have a place to display your items. I haven't been married and don't have kids, so I couldn't tell you about the bugs.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
does anyone know if hearthfire still causes issues with a lot of the popular mods?

*edit* i bit the bullet on the deal and haven't noticed any issues.

Last edited:

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
calling all 120hz users. I'm hoping to pick one up for xmas, or more likely just after the holidays. What are you all using? Need some suggestions.
I'm hoping that going to 120hz will fix the annoying jitteryness when walking+panning around interiors that is driving me crazy!

Thanks

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
calling all 120hz users. I'm hoping to pick one up for xmas, or more likely just after the holidays. What are you all using? Need some suggestions.
I'm hoping that going to 120hz will fix the annoying jitteryness when walking+panning around interiors that is driving me crazy!

Thanks

The games stock will only let you go up to 60FPS. If you remove the FPS limiter you should be at a higher framerate and hopefully the dips will not be as bad. I don't think going to a 120HZ monitor is going to make much a difference in Skyrim.

Also keep in mind I don't think Skyrim is not the best coded game. Remember how bad it was before the 2nd or 3rd patch came out?

Last edited:

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Question, when i'm installing Skyrim HD - 2K Textures.....does everything simply get 'upgraded', or is each item (dungeons, landscape, misc, towns) installed on its own?

I know riften is an upgrdae for 1.6....but thats all I know

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
After contemplating about Skyrim, it went on sale - $30 on steam. Just in time so I grabbed it. Looks nice, though nothing crysis-like...I really hate the fact there are no good RPG's that I know of with killer Crysis graphics/realism.

Madia

May 2, 2006
After contemplating about Skyrim, it went on sale - $30 on steam. Just in time so I grabbed it. Looks nice, though nothing crysis-like...I really hate the fact there are no good RPG's that I know of with killer Crysis graphics/realism.

You have to get into the modding community to get the killer graphics. If you look back on the tread atomicplayboy has links to the best mods. It's not that difficult or time consuming and the results are well worth it.

Also, does anyone know how the Dragonborn DLC ended up being? It should be on the pc in a week or two and I was wondering if it was worth getting back into Skyrim for or if I should just wait until a price drop like I did on Dawnguard.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
You have to get into the modding community to get the killer graphics. If you look back on the tread atomicplayboy has links to the best mods. It's not that difficult or time consuming and the results are well worth it.

Also, does anyone know how the Dragonborn DLC ended up being? It should be on the pc in a week or two and I was wondering if it was worth getting back into Skyrim for or if I should just wait until a price drop like I did on Dawnguard.

Looks like a lot of people and reviews gave it thumbs up. Many say it's better than Dawnguard. I would say it's definitely worth getting back into. I haven't play Skyrim in over 2-3 weeks - I won't be hard to get back in for me :) I would keep checking Steam - I am thinking Friday the 4th it will be available. Just a guess..

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
wow i didn't know it was ready to come out already?! where have i been hiding. I only saw that one teaser trailer someone posted up a while back. SWEET CAN"T WAIT!

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
wow i didn't know it was ready to come out already?! where have i been hiding. I only saw that one teaser trailer someone posted up a while back. SWEET CAN"T WAIT!

It's out for the Xbox for a month already :p

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
On one hand... please please pretty please.

On the other... my Skyrim installation is so full of mods, I'm scared to think which ones will break... Right now it's perfect, I hope everything will work with the new DLC too... D:

Haha that's the same thing I was thinking. I don't think I can go back to an unmodded Skyrim.

Feb 6, 2007
On one hand... please please pretty please.

On the other... my Skyrim installation is so full of mods, I'm scared to think which ones will break... Right now it's perfect, I hope everything will work with the new DLC too... D:
The biggest issue I'm personally worried about is new textures since Dragonborn takes place in an entirely new environment with very different textures from everything else in Skyrim. Starac, the modder who made Skyrim Realistic Overhaul (far and away the best of the environmental texture mod packs and one of the core pieces of TPC and Step-Project) ended up getting banned from the Nexus for repeated violations, and I don't imagine that he'll be interested in doing a texture pack for Dragonborn with nowhere to post it. It's going to be something of a letdown to get an entirely new environment and be devoid of the excellent texture work he did.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
The biggest issue I'm personally worried about is new textures since Dragonborn takes place in an entirely new environment with very different textures from everything else in Skyrim. Starac, the modder who made Skyrim Realistic Overhaul (far and away the best of the environmental texture mod packs and one of the core pieces of TPC and Step-Project) ended up getting banned from the Nexus for repeated violations, and I don't imagine that he'll be interested in doing a texture pack for Dragonborn with nowhere to post it. It's going to be something of a letdown to get an entirely new environment and be devoid of the excellent texture work he did.

Starac was a douche and an idiot. I don't care how good his work may be been: fuck him and good riddance.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Playboy, you bring up a good point. I wonder if Bethesda will include the new textures in their high res pack? Even though you are supposed to disable it when running the TPC.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
What did he do? Must have been pretty serious for him to get banned...

He started whining about how modding was hard work and said he wouldn't update his texture packs anymore unless people sent him monetary donations. Then eventually he took his mods down from the Nexus and said he would only send them to people who paid him - that's when they banned him.

Feb 6, 2007
What did he do? Must have been pretty serious for him to get banned...
He really acted like the most petulant child the world has ever seen. He got angry at the author of TPC for "using his work without his permission" (which he didn't), then got into a pissing match with people on the Step Forums over it, took the file off the Nexus and said he would only make updates available to people who gave him money. This, mind you, not only violated the terms of Nexus, but also Bethesda (you can't legally charge for mod content). So he got banned from Nexus, banned from the Step Forums, and generally made to look an arrogant fool. He is a fantastic texture artist, but his personality is simply awful.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Alright gents.....

February 5th is the release date for Dragonborn on PC. Time to dive back in.

http://www.bethblog.com/2013/01/18/the-dragonborn-comes-in-february-and-hearthfire-dawnguard-too/

Yea - should be enough time for me to go through Dawnguard with my latest Khajiit character. He's level 48 now and has yet to visit the Greybeards :awe: I need to get that horn for them too to be "eligible" for starting Dragonborn.

On an unrelated note, the mannequins in my Hearthfire mansion are "loosing" the armors I put on them :( Looks like it happens for the regular armors (Thief armor and Jester's armor are still sitting where I left them). Heavy Falmer armor looked really nice on one...

Also, guys... Book of Silence added Orcish armor re-texture to its pack now... totally EPIC :D

EDIT: Also, Werewolf Mastery mod - I looooove it!! Werewolves are sooo much fun now! They were cool before, but not that practical (like a Vampire Lord). I actually saw a new werewolf execution after 400 hours of playing Skyrim... both triggers = grabs the victim by their head, raises up and squashes like a paper bag :awe: :awe: :awe:

Last edited: