The OFFICIAL Anandtech Forums TeS V: Skyrim Thread

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by RavenSEAL, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Atomic Playboy

Your skills level up as you use them. When you get a skill to a certain level, you can choose a perk from that tree. The perks available are based on your level within that skill. Perks you can assign appear light blue. Perks you need to level up more for appear purple. Perks you already have appear yellow. Here's a picture from a Skyrim wiki showing a perk tree with a mix of unavailable, available and assigned:

[​IMG]

As far as actually assigning the perks, you need to make sure you have perk points available (which you get when you level up), then click on a light blue perk, at which point you will be asked if you want to apply the perk point. You navigte through them with WSAD (or whatever keys you use to move) and assign them with Mouse1, or, if you're using a controller, navigate through them with the left stick and assign them with the button that attacks.

2. cronos

cronos Diamond Member

Ah I'm not aware of the different colors!

Yes, I meant to say I couldn't figure out how to assign perk points that I have collected by leveling. I must have tried clicking M1 on the perks that I'm not allowed to take, and that's why it does nothing.

Thanks!

3. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

Dont feel bad, it took me a while to realize what was going on as well.

They consolized this to the point I almost didnt wanna play. If you can get past the skill/feat issues and just enjoy the story, its a great game.

4. Madia

Madia Senior member

5. Face2Face

Face2Face Diamond Member

6. Face2Face

Face2Face Diamond Member

Atomic the ENB pictures looks great. I hope it will work well with the new DLC...

7. lkailburn

lkailburn Senior member

preview looks great!!

8. Atomic Playboy

I may hold off on getting the new DLC until mods have been updated for compatibility; maybe I can get Dawnguard, Hearthfire and Dragonborn all at the same time, by which point all the mods work correctly (I had to get rid of "Auto-Unequip arrows" because it started crashing; I think it's because I don't have Dawnguard installed).

Skyrim Realistic Overhaul just got a sizeable update. TPC hasn't been updated yet, but that mod author seems to be on hiatus and the author of SRO has been very public in his refusal to cooperate with the person who compiles TPC, so who knows about compatibility between the two going forward. That said, the textures from SRO are the best of the major three packs by far, and the new update does address a lot of new areas, so you may want to check it out.

9. lkailburn

lkailburn Senior member

atomic that's something I have been meaning to ask. How do you 'update' the TPC? Lets say an individual mod gets updated. Do you just download that mod to the directory and then recompile the tpc? Same with if you wanted to add a texture pack to the tpc build that you didn't include the first time around?

Thanks!

10. Atomic Playboy

I check in on the TPC page at Skyrim Nexus from time to time to see what the latest version is. He's only updated it once since September, and that was to add support for an update from the Ruins Clutter Improvement. Most of the mods in the TPC don't get frequent updates regardless, so there hasn't been much of an issue there. As far as updating TPC, I've not yet done it, but if I were tempted, I would guess that you download the updated mod(s) (in this case, just the Nordic Ruins update), put it in the proper directory (hopefully you saved all your TPC directory files from earlier), run the new batch file and upload the new compressed file into Nexus Mod Manager to overwrite TPC. Since it's so comprehensive, you might want to start from a fresh install again, just to be clear, but that depends on how many additional mods you have outside of TPC.

As for the SRO update, I just installed it via NMM and it overwrote a few of the TPC files. I figured, meh, might as well check out these textures. They're very good (although I prefer the AOF-DetailedMountains to the SRO mountain textures, so I manually installed that mod as well).

In short, it's not easy to update TPC, but it also seems to not get updated with any regularity.

11. Face2Face

Face2Face Diamond Member

I keep a copy of my TPC files. All I would need to do is place the new SRO textures in their folder, then zip the TPC again. Remove the old TPC with NMM and install the new. I would think it should work...

12. Atomic Playboy

Some people over at the STEP Project forums tried that and said it didn't work. The update includes a lot of files that SRO didn't initially cover, so the TPC batch combiner doesn't include them (it doesn't know to look for them as they didn't exist previously). Until the TPC batch combiner is updated to include them, the only way to get them is install them manually.

The SRO update mainly focuses on caves, dungeons, Dwemer ruins and some city textures, fyi.

13. Face2Face

Face2Face Diamond Member

These guys looks cool....Magma zombies/golems ? This trailer looks pretty low rez as well. Look at the ground in this picture... ew....

[​IMG]

#4263 Face2Face, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  14. Face2Face

Face2Face Diamond Member

[​IMG]

#4264 Face2Face, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  15. lkailburn

lkailburn Senior member

I really like the new worlds shown in the dlc video. more fantasy like.
    Though i never played morrowind, they remind me of a trailer i watched for it.

-Luke

16. Qbah

Qbah Diamond Member

Can't wait!!! :D The new DLC looks amazing! New places, new weapons, new armor, dragon mount, the first dragonborn... woohoo!

17. Madia

Madia Senior member

I'm hoping that you're able to control the dragon mount and it's not just a glorified taxi.

I never finished the companions quest or did the legion/stormcloak quest so once the pc version get an official release date I'll get back into it. I stopped around level 15 and halfway into the companions quest so this new DLC is a good excuse to go back.

Are there any good graphics mods for Dawnguard? Other than SkyUI and rich merchants I'm only running graphics mods so I'm hoping by now someone released some to improve Dawnguard.

18. cronos

cronos Diamond Member

When adventuring in the wild I am often approached by this little fox(?), which if followed always helped me discover this new place I haven't discovered before, that I wouldn't have found if I didn't follow it. This has happened to me at least three times already.

Anybody else is getting this? The first time around I was like: "oh cool this little fox wanted me to play. wait, is he trying to get me to follow him?" So I did, and a minute or two later, there it is, a new location (usually it's a cave or dungeon with inhabitants that will one-shot me, but I was only around level 7-8 at the time). I have since met this (same?) fox several more times and every single time he helped me discover a new location.

19. Atomic Playboy

Check this post. Most of the mods I list there are compatible with Dawnguard, including the graphics mods.

20. lkailburn

lkailburn Senior member

odd. haven't seen that before. I did come across a dog, who did the same thing but led me to his deceased owner's cabin(found all this out by reading the owner's journal).

-Luke

21. Dahak

Dahak Diamond Member

To bad we pc users have to wait till January, stupid exclusive agreement with ms that say all dlc is 1 month exclusive on xbox first

22. mmntech

mmntech Lifer

You get a nice two-handed battle axe for finishing the full companions quest. Completing the first half shortly after getting to Whiterun is a must. The silver sword makes early dungeon diving a lot easier for low level players.

I never completed the war quest. Always felt it to be deeply unsatisfying. Wish it was like New Vegas where you could declare yourself high king/queen.

23. Atomic Playboy

I played through the Civil War quest as a Stormcloak on my first playthrough and found it unsatisfying. I just finished playing through the Civil War quest on a new character as an Imperial, and I found it much better. I don't know why; the quests are basically the same for each side. I guess I'm just happier when I'm ridding the galaxy of rebel scum. I would've made a great stormtrooper.

24. Atomic Playboy

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; this exclusivity agreement makes no sense. The only PC platform that you can play Skyrim on is a Microsoft operating system. They're still making money from the exclusivity! Hell, they make more on an operating system than on a game system! Why not just shut out the PS3 users and let them have their Assassin's Creed exclusives (actually I really wish the PC got those as well)?

25. arkcom

arkcom Golden Member

I've discovered that it's pretty easy to overpower yourself with Alchemy and Enchanting, without exploits.