The corporate media's propaganda about the "labor shortage" is disgusting

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
So in 5 short years, we've gone from ignored workers voted for Trump because of stagnant wages and pay inequality to workers shouldn't take advantage of current market conditions to renegotiate their wages.
Gotta love it.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You're the one that thought RN starting pay was relevant, so not sure how you can say the pay structure within the company is irrelevant but the pay structure in an entirely different industry is relevant.

Also love how you have no problem bitching about how the "burger flipper" wants to make a fair wage for his labor, but CEO pay is a third rail. How about instead of trying to prove that poor people don't deserve to make a fair living for their labor, you start looking at the people making 1000x what they make on their backs.

Yes because a starting pay for an RN is far less than a mgr at McDonalds with little XP. Its relevant.

And Im sorry if you cant see the difference between a CEO and a fry cooker, thats on you.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
So in 5 short years, we've gone from ignored workers voted for Trump because of stagnant wages and pay inequality to workers shouldn't take advantage of current market conditions to renegotiate their wages.
Gotta love it.

Pay inequality is a myth.

edit: pay inequality is a fabrication of left trying to guarantee outcome vs opportunity. Guaranteed outcome is a fantasy.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

edit: pay inequality is a fabrication of left trying to guarantee outcome vs opportunity. Guaranteed outcome is a fantasy.
This is entirely nonsense. No where has anyone in this entire thread argued for guaranteed outcome. So that makes it a fabrication of you.

What people are arguing for here, and what you are so against, is that workers should be able to negotiate their wages based on market conditions. Which is opportunity. Now why would you lie about that?

Reactions: KMFJD and ivwshane

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
This is entirely nonsense. No where has anyone in this entire thread argued for guaranteed outcome. So that makes it a fabrication of you.

What people are arguing for here, and what you are so against, is that workers should be able to negotiate their wages based on market conditions. Which is opportunity. Now why would you lie about that?

And I totally agree with that. Its up to the applicant to negotiate wages and benefits. I never said otherwise.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Yes because a starting pay for an RN is far less than a mgr at McDonalds with little XP. Its relevant.

And Im sorry if you cant see the difference between a CEO and a fry cooker, thats on you.
You keep calling a manager a cashier and fry cooker, I guess you don't understand there is a difference. And the fact starting RNs get paid shitty is irreverent to what anyone else should make.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You keep calling a manager a cashier and fry cooker, I guess you don't understand there is a difference. And the fact starting RNs get paid shitty is irreverent to what anyone else should make.

If you say so. Explain why a fry cooker should be paid 50k/yr

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

That poster has gone all in on stupid. Shit sources, straw man arguments, anecdotal evidence, and confirmation bias up the wazoo. I guess he feels someone should take the place of s0me1mind as the dumbest poster and he’s happy to play that role.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Do you seriously not know the difference between a fry cook and a manager?

A person should be able to house, feed, and provide for themself with any full time job. If that job does not bring enough value to the company to pay that wage, that job shouldn't exist. If the company can't exist while paying a fair wage for labor, it isn't a viable business.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
In my area, virtually every business, factory, warehouse, retail or otherwise has help wanted posted. Bonuses, sign-ons, referral pay, benefits and still can't be filled. Why? Hard to say but anecdotally, employers find it hard to find people who will show up on time, work a shift and competently do a job and provide a fair exchange of labor for their wage.

here in Warshington, the first state to legalize marijuana, places like Home Depot have a hard time finding workers who can pass a simple drug test...(gee, I wonder why?) The state minimum wage goes to $14.49l/hr on 1/1/2022. McDonalds and many other fast food places are offering starting wages over $16/hr. While that's not great money, it's a fuck of a lot better than the federal minimum wage.

So non exempt positions should be outlawed?

I'd argue that non-management EXEMPT jobs should be outlawed...

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Do you seriously not know the difference between a fry cook and a manager?

A person should be able to house, feed, and provide for themself with any full time job. If that job does not bring enough value to the company to pay that wage, that job shouldn't exist. If the company can't exist while paying a fair wage for labor, it isn't a viable business.

Guess we'll agree to disagree. Back to the "living wage" argument I guess.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
here in Warshington, the first state to legalize marijuana, places like Home Depot have a hard time finding workers who can pass a simple drug test...(gee, I wonder why?) The state minimum wage goes to $14.49l/hr on 1/1/2022. McDonalds and many other fast food places are offering starting wages over $16/hr. While that's not great money, it's a fuck of a lot better than the federal minimum wage.

I'd argue that non-management EXEMPT jobs should be outlawed...

Id be open to that

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Yes. Labor should be able to live off the wages of their work. Not sure why that is a hard concept. The guy working the fry machine at McDonald's is working harder than half the people on this forum. Why shouldn't he be able to afford a decent meal and healthcare and a place to live.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Yes. Labor should be able to live off the wages of their work. Not sure why that is a hard concept. The guy working the fry machine at McDonald's is working harder than half the people on this forum.

LOL ok

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I honestly don't know why you guys waste your time arguing with someone so dishonest that they provided one example of a fast food worker being promoted to manager, and then tried to argue that every McD's burger flipper was making manager salaries.
That troll has never once made a honest argument, I swear. The part where he cherrypicked some data showing RN trainees making sub-$50k wages when most RNs make 6 figures was just comical.

Fuck. I had a six figure year back in 1988.....as an RN, working "full-time" 7A-7P, weekends, in ER, getting paid for 40 hrs. Then went fishing 5 days a week, unless I felt like doing some side crap, like home health care....which in itself is a sad job.

And what fucking starting job as an RN earns only $28,000? Of course angsty-idiot won't back up his figures, but seriously....WTF? I entered nursing in the 1970's and never got paid that little as an RN. Was earning well over $13/hr, which is about where $28K/year ends up.

Last edited:

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
How often does a worker applying to flip burgers refusing a position because the CEO makes too much?

Protip: none.
How come you keep going to flipping burgers? Guess what, look around, hundreds of thousands of people are refusing to take such jobs.. if you believe not a single one of them consider what the job pays, and what the CEO makes in their decision making, you really are stupid. Hell it's been a source of anger for decades.. or have you ignored that hot topic for the last 20+ years?

Reactions: Meghan54

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
How come you keep going to flipping burgers? Guess what, look around, hundreds of thousands of people are refusing to take such jobs.. if you believe not a single one of them consider what the job pays, and what the CEO makes in their decision making, you really are stupid. Hell it's been a source of anger for decades.. or have you ignored that hot topic for the last 20+ years?

He looks down on anyone he doesn’t think is worth a living wage. To him a job is like a caste system where only the unworthy do the backbreaking jobs and they deserve to be paid shit. I’m guessing he’s doing a bit of projecting because he feels he’s not worth the money he gets paid.

He’s a perfect example of the worthlessness Americans have been brainwashed to feel about themselves. We don’t have things like a living wage, universal health care, or well functioning infrastructure because we don’t deserve it. Profits before people is his motto. He’s the type that believes if he can’t have something then no one should. He’s just another small minded individual who lacks critical thinking and foresight into any policy that attempts to help Americans.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
The why has already been provided in this thread more than once. People don't want to go back to work to the places that laid them off, or were underpaying them, or were just shitty places to work, when they can get better jobs elsewhere. I don't know why this is so hard for some people to understand, or why they insist on blaming the workers despite all the evidence.
Anecdotally, I learned this lesson a long time ago. I was a top-producing manager who had developed a kickass team, and found myself making less than my reports. So I went to my management to re-negotiate, and they told me that to do that I would have to leave and then come back. So I left, got a better job elsewhere, and didn't look back.
I applaud anyone else with the courage to do the same.
Your second sentence is just gaslighting as I said nothing of the sort. It's your unfounded assumption/biases.

The question really comes down to the economic value the worker provides. Taking the fry cook, if all that person can do is cook fries, then their economic value is pretty low. McD's for example, could evaluate their pricing model and based on food, labor and overhead costs, determine that the economic value of a fry cook is $10/hr. Then it is up to the worker to decide if that is a fair wage for their labor or not. If it is not, then the worker can do several things to increase their economic value. Education, vocational training, etc... If they choose not to increase their economic value, well they have made their choice.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Your second sentence is just gaslighting as I said nothing of the sort. It's your unfounded assumption/biases.

The question really comes down to the economic value the worker provides. Taking the fry cook, if all that person can do is cook fries, then their economic value is pretty low. McD's for example, could evaluate their pricing model and based on food, labor and overhead costs, determine that the economic value of a fry cook is $10/hr. Then it is up to the worker to decide if that is a fair wage for their labor or not. If it is not, then the worker can do several things to increase their economic value. Education, vocational training, etc... If they choose not to increase their economic value, well they have made their choice.
Your assumption is that only McDonalds has agency in determining the value of a french fryer. Workers have decided to tell McDonalds to get bent.

Reactions: uclaLabrat and Vic

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
The person who brought up the $50k/yr fast food worker job was actually referencing a manager position, which is a lot more involved than a 'fry cooker'. But since that was you, I assume you knew that already. I'm confident the actual 'fry cooker' positions are being paid even less, criminally so.
Not to mention there are teens making 50k/yr as managers. This is just one story:

Teen Fast-Food Workers Get $50K Manager Jobs at Texas Chicken Chain (businessinsider.com)

Fucking shit pay. Cant live on that.
Also, let's not bother pointing out that it's $50k/yr in a city (college station, DFW, or Houston, take your pick), which frankly is still shit pay.

So will there ever be a point that you actually argue in good faith? Or are you just here to say stupid shit, and watch people you think are beneath you argue your points into oblivion?

Reactions: ivwshane

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Well then why didnt a big strong conservative go into the White House and deal with it?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Do you seriously not understand the difference between a manager and a line cook? Either you don’t understand the difference, which is mind boggling ignorance, or you do understand the difference, which means you’re dishonestly conflating the two.

Remember, you’re the one that compared a manager’s wages to a nurse, too.