The corporate media's propaganda about the "labor shortage" is disgusting

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
There's naturally going to be some lag between the need to raise pay and the actual raise. Payroll is usually among the largest expenses, so raises often come in small increments and are tied to what the market will bear for finished goods and services. It's not always about greed, it's more often about staying alive and competitive. Reluctance to work in sectors that can't be outsourced is probably a good thing in the long run, it's just going to take a while to get to the new normal.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Was anyone forced? Ever heard of at-will employment?

What, in your opinion, would a fair wage and bennies be for someone who take hamburger orders?

Hard to believe so many people would bail from such a great restaurant to work for Walmart and McDonalds, two of the worst companies in the nation to be employed by with rock bottom employee morale. I think they should make $20 to $25 an hour to bring wages back up with American productivity growth of the last 40 years. And they should get dependable schedules. Now what do you think? $7.25 an hour, split shifts, ever changing schedule because fuck the poors, they don't deserve a living wage?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Gee I wonder why this fast food place is so short on staff? Calling it a labor shortage is already making a value judgment, like this glorified McDonalds is entitled to have the status quo of desperate low wage workers working inconsistent schedules barely scraping out a living. But let's sing the praises of the woman who throws away her retirement to help this exploitative industry ride it out through one little rough patch when people aren't quite desperate enough to be forced to take their shit jobs.

First. The article says nothing abiout her "giving up her retirement" or "throwing away her retirement". I would presume she gets to keep her retirement benefits, including Social Security even though she's re-entering the workin world.
Next, there is no "worker shortage," only a shortage of people who no longer want or need to work shitty jobs for shittier pay. Funny how "if you don't like working for minimum wage, get a better job," has become a "worker shortage," now that many people have done just that.

The part that kind of shocks me is that this old broad came out of retirement to help out a corporate fast food joint instead of some locally owned cafe or restaurant.

I'm not quite sure what about this story got your panties in a knot.

Reactions: blackangst1

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
First. The article says nothing abiout her "giving up her retirement" or "throwing away her retirement". I would presume she gets to keep her retirement benefits, including Social Security even though she's re-entering the workin world.
Next, there is no "worker shortage," only a shortage of people who no longer want or need to work shitty jobs for shittier pay. Funny how "if you don't like working for minimum wage, get a better job," has become a "worker shortage," now that many people have done just that.

The part that kind of shocks me is that this old broad came out of retirement to help out a corporate fast food joint instead of some locally owned cafe or restaurant.

I'm not quite sure what about this story got your panties in a knot.

Mostly CNN perpetrating the labor shortage myth, like we're all supposed to say awww look at this little old lady picking up the slack for all the millennials and Gen Z'ers who left poor Mr Culver unable to open his dining room.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Hard to believe so many people would bail from such a great restaurant to work for Walmart and McDonalds, two of the worst companies in the nation to be employed by with rock bottom employee morale. I think they should make $20 to $25 an hour to bring wages back up with American productivity growth of the last 40 years. And they should get dependable schedules. Now what do you think? $7.25 an hour, split shifts, ever changing schedule because fuck the poors, they don't deserve a living wage?

WOW. 50k/year to punch in your hamburger order? For non-skilled labor? JHC. Dependable schedules? You dont know how retail works do you. No that wasnt a question. And who the fuck pays 7.25/hr? Every fast food joint where I am advertises at least 10/hr.

Workers at McDonald’s company-owned locations will see pay raises of an average of 10% over the next several months. Entry-level employees will be making $11 to $17 per hour, and shift managers will make $15 to $20 an hour, based on location.

McDonald's raises hourly wages for company-owned restaurants (cnbc.com)

McD doesnt pay anyone 7.25/hr. They also have 401k and medical ins.

Youre out of touch and out of your mind.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
WOW. 50k/year to punch in your hamburger order? For non-skilled labor? JHC. Dependable schedules? You dont know how retail works do you. No that wasnt a question. And who the fuck pays 7.25/hr? Every fast food joint where I am advertises at least 10/hr.

Youre out of touch and out of your mind.

Somehow McDonalds can pay workers bare minimum $21 an hour in Denmark. Also LOL 50k a year to punch your hamburger order as if managing a restaurant for 70 hours a week is just punching orders into a register.

Why do service workers not deserve a living wage and a dependable schedule in the richest country on earth? You're the one who is completely out of touch, bootlicker.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Somehow McDonalds can pay workers bare minimum $21 an hour in Denmark. Also LOL 50k a year to punch your hamburger order as if managing a restaurant for 70 hours a week is just punching orders into a register.

Why do service workers not deserve a living wage and a dependable schedule in the richest country on earth? You're the one who is completely out of touch, bootlicker.

Right. With an income tax rate of 45%.

Fucking clown.

edit: You DO know less that 2% of worker make min wage, right?

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I get the sense that we're firmly on the path of permanently replacing some people jobs with machines. Can't find enough truck drivers to move loads and stay in DOT compliance? Self-driving trucks to the rescue. Can't find enough teens to work a fast food joint at $8/hour? I'll lease you a fleet of robots for less than $4/hour each (and you don't have to share tips or provide any benefits!) Throw in a few drone bots to replace longshoremen and we can start unloading your boat before you're even docked.

I didn't think we'd get there until 2050 or so, but now I think the Great Resignation is moving up the timetable for AI job replacement by at least a decade.

Reactions: blackangst1

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Fucking clown.

More like 34% for someone making $21 an hour working full time. Their tax money actually goes to useful things like universal healthcare and education that improve their lives instead of military bases overseas and new toys for our national offense so we can go kill more brown people overseas.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
The McDonald’s workers in Denmark get six weeks of paid vacation a year, life insurance, a year’s paid maternity leave and a pension plan. And like all Danes, they enjoy universal medical insurance and paid sick leave. That's part of what your taxes pay for in Denmark. Seems like a fair trade, esp. given the cost of health ins. and health care.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

Fucking clown.

edit: You DO know less that 2% of worker make min wage, right?

You're going to lose that Denmark is horrid because of 45% income taxes argument. Guess how much an hour I have left from $22/hr after 45% in taxes? Well, let's make it simple for you.....assume 50% tax on $20/hr pay. That'd leave you $10/hr in pay....free and clear of health ins. costs, health care costs, paid pension plan, paid vacation and sick leave.

So how much from a typical $10/hr worker's pay does he/she have left here in the U.S.? Well, always FICA is taken out, even if below min. fed. income tax level. So at least 7.25% (?) is taken...how about health insurance? Any paid sick days available or do you come to work sick because you lose pay if you don't...

And I guess you're correct....very few places offer $7.65 as a starting wage, but I'll show you a shit-ton of places that start you at $8.25/hr. And that makes their job above min. wage, so horray! Right? Goddamn intellectually dishonest POS you are.

Last edited:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
More like 34% for someone making $21 an hour working full time. Their tax money actually goes to useful things like universal healthcare and education that improve their lives instead of military bases overseas and new toys for our national offense so we can go kill more brown people overseas.

When you Google searched you forgot to add USD to your search.

The average annual income in Denmark is about 39,000 euros (nearly $43,000) and as such, the average Dane pays a total amount of 45 percent in income taxes. Danish income taxes are based on a progressive tax system, so if you make more than 61,500 euros (about $67,000) per year, an additional tax rate of 7 percent is added over this threshold.

Sound good to you?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
i see the propaganda, trying to guilt others to work because hey, an old lady can do it, why can't the rest go back to work

i have no doubt that she's doing it for shits and giggles, something to keep busy with, but if you don't see the media manipulation than imho you're part of the problem, the whole country has been feed this bullshit for generations.

• Love
Reactions: SteveGrabowski

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Here's some good info about the myths for a "living wage"

5 Myths About Living Wage Laws | TIME.com

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
When you Google searched you forgot to add USD to your search.

The average annual income in Denmark is about 39,000 euros (nearly $43,000) and as such, the average Dane pays a total amount of 45 percent in income taxes. Danish income taxes are based on a progressive tax system, so if you make more than 61,500 euros (about $67,000) per year, an additional tax rate of 7 percent is added over this threshold.

Sound good to you?

It does because, as others have stated, they get it right back in ample social services and benefits. Meanwhile Americans pay maybe 10-20% less, but shovel all of it (an then some) to the useless grifters that run health insurance companies.

Reactions: sandorski and KMFJD

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Can you honestly say the wages for someone who punches in your order for a happy meal should make more than a graduated Registered Nurse?

RegisteredNurseRN reported that the starting salary for an RN ranges from $28,000 to $50,000 a year. [/quiote]

What Is the Starting Pay Rate of an RN? (chron.com)

hahahahahahaha Say it with a straight face.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
One of the professional organizations I used to belong to has a volunteer program to help place retirees to help out in national parks doing the work the park service used to hire professionals to do. They got a lot of blowback from the working members who saw the program as devaluing the profession which is true. The organization is now almost 100% professors and retired professors now .