The Chinese stole an underwater drone from a USN survey ship

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
We should be thankful all that was lost was our illegal underwater spy drone. We have no business in the south china seas.

The hypocrisy of the US getting upset about Chinese kicking around in the "south CHINA seas" when we are constantly meddling in Yemen and Syria is pretty absurd also.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
trade sanctions are tricky with China, considering massive amounts of American companies rely on China for much of their business.

I'm going to lean with giving Obama the benefit of the doubt here, he has way more knowledge of what's up than we do.

And since he didn't turn out to be a Muslim Kenyan Terrorist that wanted to run FEMA death camps and come and take our guns, I feel comfortable with that.

Vigilance must be maintained! There's still time for the evil plot to unfold! Remember Jade Helm!

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
This is for the ignorant posters in this thread.

The drone was run by research civilian ship, not military
the drone, which, according to the Pentagon, was being operated by civilian contractors to conduct oceanic research.

The USNS Bowditch, which is not a combat ship, was stopped in international waters Thursday afternoon and recovering two of the gliders when the Chinese ship approached, Davis said. The two vessels were within about 450 meters (500 yards) of each other. He said that the USNS Bowditch carries some small arms, but that no shots were fired.

So the drone was in the PH's EEZ territory (NOT china) per international law.
The drone was seized while collecting unclassified scientific data about 92 kilometers (57 miles) northwest of Subic Bay near the Philippines in the South China Sea, which China claims virtually in its entirety,

Bonnie Glaser, senior adviser for Asia at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said the seizure of the glider occurred inside the exclusive economic zone of the Philippines, not China, and appeared to be a violation of international law.

The drone was not lost and found as some of you foolishly claimed. Commie china took it in front of the US ship.
"It is ours. It's clearly marked as ours. We would like it back, and we would like this not to happen again," Davis told reporters. He said the drone costs about $150,000 and is largely commercial, off-the-shelf technology.

According to the Pentagon, as the Chinese ship left with the drone, which is about 3 meters (10 feet) long, its only radio response to the U.S. vessel was, "We are returning to normal operations."

Big threat from china/chinese

In a separate report, the paper quoted retired Chinese admiral Yang Yi as saying China considered itself well within its rights to seize the drone.

"If China needs to take it, we'll take it. (America) can't block us," Yang was quoted as saying.

More about the incident = https://www.yahoo.com/news/china-smooth-resolution-expected-us-navy-drone-issue-085342299.html

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This is for the ignorant posters in this thread.

The drone was run by research civilian ship, not military

False. The Bowditch is a Navy ship. It's not a combat ship-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Bowditch_(T-AGS-62)

So the drone was in the PH's EEZ territory (NOT china) per international law.

False again. Territorial waters are not the same as maritime economic zone. Even if it mattered, we'd need to understand Filipino salvage law to say anything intelligent.

The drone was not lost and found as some of you foolishly claimed. Commie china took it in front of the US ship.

Big threat from china/chinese

More about the incident = https://www.yahoo.com/news/china-smooth-resolution-expected-us-navy-drone-issue-085342299.html

Nobody said it was lost. It didn't have to be lost for the Chinese to drag it out of the ocean & take possession. They just had to beat the Navy to it. The Bowditch skipper shouldn't have been complacent.

As your own link says, the matter is expected to be resolved in due course. It's a nice tech score for China.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
We should be thankful all that was lost was our illegal underwater spy drone. We have no business in the south china seas.

The hypocrisy of the US getting upset about Chinese kicking around in the "south CHINA seas" when we are constantly meddling in Yemen and Syria is pretty absurd also.

The South China Sea Area in question is International Waters by definition and is open to anyone.

Are you stoopid or what?

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
False. The Bowditch is a Navy ship. It's not a combat ship-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Bowditch_(T-AGS-62)

False again. Territorial waters are not the same as maritime economic zone. Even if it mattered, we'd need to understand Filipino salvage law to say anything intelligent.

Nobody said it was lost. It didn't have to be lost for the Chinese to drag it out of the ocean & take possession. They just had to beat the Navy to it. The Bowditch skipper shouldn't have been complacent.

As your own link says, the matter is expected to be resolved in due course. It's a nice tech score for China.

From my own link, it said the ship was run by civilian contractors, not by US Navy sailors. My point stands.

Again, see my own link, it was within the EEZ of PH, commie china has no right to be there without PH's permission per international rules and laws. Of course, china is the one that claims 90% of SCS (international body of water that opens to anyone) as its own and it is the SOLE exclusive owner and everyone else should take a hike. See my previous post in this thread with the picture of the "cow tongue" of china. My point stands

Another link that supports my point:

The location of the seizure -- about 50 nautical miles away from the Philippines -- is particularly interesting. Not only is it outside of China’s exclusive economic zone, but also beyond its more expansive nine-dash line encompassing about 80 percent of the South China Sea, according to Greg Poling of the Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...re-of-a-u-s-naval-drone-is-so-provocative-q-a

Oh really? Who said this? Oh it was you. You acted like the chinese found the drone with no one around while it was NOT true. They took it while the US ship was there, within visual range (500 yards or so) and ready to pick it up. My points stand.

The law of the sea & particularly of salvage dictates that you can keep anything you find floating around in international waters. The Chinese skipper exploited that. It's certainly not grounds for some major international incident.

So let me ask you this. You are driving a UPS truck and I have a fast car. I drive pass you on the street and pick up the package while you are right behind and get ready to pick it up. Too bad, you shouldn't have been complacent, right? LOL

Last edited:

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
The South China Sea Area in question is International Waters by definition and is open to anyone.

Are you stoopid or what?

When was the last time you heard about the US capturing spy drones in the "international waters" surrounding Hawaii? Oh yeah, never... because the Chinese recognize US sovereignty over the Hawaiian islands despite them being 3000 miles from historical US territory. Why don't we respect Chinese sovereignty in the same way they respect ours?

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
When was the last time you heard about the US capturing spy drones in the "international waters" surrounding Hawaii? Oh yeah, never... because the Chinese recognize US sovereignty over the Hawaiian islands despite them being 3000 miles from historical US territory. Why don't we respect Chinese sovereignty in the same way they respect ours?

I think you are confused. They are not the same. Hawaii = island that supports life = has 200 miles rule around it.

Islets in SCS (in which china claims) that submerge under water while the tide is high or fake islands that were created by dredged sand from the ocean by china (destroyed marine lives) = nothing or at best 12 miles. Don't take my words for it. A few months ago, UN/Tribune declared china has no right or any legal basis to claim anything in SCS.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
From my own link, it said the ship was run by civilian contractors, not by US Navy sailors. My point stands.

Again, see my own link, it was within the EEZ of PH, commie china has no right to be there without PH's permission per international rules and laws. Of course, china is the one that claims 90% of SCS (international body of water that opens to anyone) as its own and it is the SOLE exclusive owner and everyone else should take a hike. See my previous post in this thread with the picture of the "cow tongue" of china. My point stands

Oh really? Who said this? Oh it was you. You acted like the chinese found the drone with no one around while it was NOT true. They took it while the US ship was there, within visual range (500 yards or so) and ready to pick it up. My points stand.

So let me ask you this. You are driving a UPS truck and I have a fast car. I drive pass you on the street and pick up the package while you are right behind and get ready to pick it up. Too bad, you shouldn't have been complacent, right? LOL

That is a USNS ship. What do you think USNS stands for? I'll give you a hint:

United States Navy Ship that is crewed by the Merchant Marine, but is in fact a US Navy Ship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Naval_Ship

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

Don't be obtuse.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Again, see my own link, it was within the EEZ of PH, commie china has no right to be there without PH's permission per international rules and laws.

False. The US Navy routinely patrols well inside the EEC but outside the territorial waters of many States. This incident occurred within 70 miles of Hainan-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainan_Island_incident

I'm pretty sure you'd be singing a different tune if a Vietnamese ship had scooped up the underwater glider.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

That's bullshit. We have no reason to believe that the Chinese don't engage in espionage outside the 12 mile territorial limit.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Summary.
China has a weird way of welcoming changes in US leadership.
Did it to Bush. Did it to Obama. Now to Trump.
Probably did it early just because...

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
False. The US Navy routinely patrols well inside the EEC but outside the territorial waters of many States. This incident occurred within 70 miles of Hainan-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainan_Island_incident

I'm pretty sure you'd be singing a different tune if a Vietnamese ship had scooped up the underwater glider.

I do not care if china or anyone was in that area. That was not the point. My point was the US drone was stolen by china while the US ship was within visual range. Now if china took the drone while the US was nowhere around, then I can see your point but it was not the case. The US ship was just about 5 football fields away, the chinese just ignored it and stole the thing in plain sight.

Again, it was not just scooped up as you claimed. It was stolen while a US ship was right behind to retrieve it. Do you know anything about scuba diving? Per rule, when you do scuba diving, you put flowing marks around your boat while you are under the water. Everyone should keep away from that area. How do you like it if I just "scooped up" your boat while you are about surface from the water? Too bad, you should not be so complacent, right? See my example of the UPS truck and the fast car above.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Summary.
China has a weird way of welcoming changes in US leadership.
Did it to Bush. Did it to Obama. Now to Trump.
Probably did it early just because...

They historically challenge a new administration in some way to see how they'll react. Doing it before the next president even assumes office is kind of new however. I would not be shocked to see some kind of moderate to major incident occur early next year. Trump has excelled in bullying/bashing people and entities with no viable recourse to retaliate, China has recourse. Potentially lots of it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I do not care if china or anyone were in that area. That was not the point. My point was the US drone was stolen by china while the US ship was within visual range. Now if china took the drone while the US was nowhere around, then I can see your point but it was not the case. The US ship was just about 5 football fields away, the chinese just ignored and stole the thing in plain sight.

Again, it was not just scooped up as you claimed. It was stolen while a US ship was right behind to retrieve it. Do you know anything about scuba diving? Per rule, when you do scuba diving, you put flowing marks around your boat while you are under the water. Everyone should keep away from that area. How do you like it if I just "scooped up" your boat while you are about surface from the water? Too bad, you should not be so complacent, right? See my example of the UPS truck and the fast car above.

They knew what they were doing. Nobody's willing to start shooting over it, that's for sure.

Which means you're just raving over the evil Chinese boogeyman, as usual.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
They knew what they were doing. Nobody's willing to start shooting over it, that's for sure.

Which means you're just raving over the evil Chinese boogeyman, as usual.

Of course the chinese know full well what they are doing, to STEAL the drone while the true owner was just right behind. Just like they know full well what they were doing with islands and islets of smaller neighbors in SCS, to steal and take from the rightful owners.

That's my exact point. Facts are facts. Thief will alway be thief.

Nobody's willing to start shooting? We will see. The facts are the neighbors are upgrading their Air Force and Navy and purchasing more anti-ship missiles. I wonder why is that? Hummmm. Must be because of evil Americans, right? LOL.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
They historically challenge a new administration in some way to see how they'll react. Doing it before the next president even assumes office is kind of new however. I would not be shocked to see some kind of moderate to major incident occur early next year. Trump has excelled in bullying/bashing people and entities with no viable recourse to retaliate, China has recourse. Potentially lots of it.

Please. It was a target of opportunity for the Chinese skipper who very likely acted on his own initiative.

"Stupid Americans. Go get that thing & bring it on board."

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Things like this coupled with Trump being president make me a bit worried about tidings to come. I mean his vp being asked by a theater play cast to fight for rights is enough to trigger him. What happens when China or somebody actually zealously goes out of their way to stick it to him?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Please. It was a target of opportunity for the Chinese skipper who very likely acted on his own initiative.

I think it's doubtful such action would be undertaken without explicit prior approval. While the Chinese President surely didn't say "go get that drone" word almost certainly came down the chain of command to fuck with the US in some way that can't substantially blow back on China.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Of course the chinese know full well what they are doing, to STEAL the drone while the true owner was just right behind. Just like they know full well what they were doing with islands and islets of smaller neighbors in SCS, to steal and take from the rightful owners.

That's my exact point. Facts are facts. Thief will alway be thief.

Nobody's willing to start shooting? We will see. The facts are the neighbors are upgrading their Air Force and Navy and purchasing more anti-ship missiles. I wonder why is that? Hummmm. Must be because of evil Americans, right? LOL.

Our MIC loves stirring up shit to promote arms sales. The Chinese won't start shooting because they don't need to. They'll just keep on keepin' on & defy anybody to stop 'em. The other claimants would be hopelessly outgunned & they know it, so they won't start shooting either.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Our MIC loves stirring up shit to promote arms sales. The Chinese won't start shooting because they don't need to. They'll just keep on keepin' on & defy anybody to stop 'em. The other claimants would be hopelessly outgunned & they know it, so they won't start shooting either.

The chinese won't start shooting? Are you sure about that? Ask the people of Tibet, East Turk, Inner Mongolia, Vietnam, India how peaceful china is and they will laugh at your face. Ask the people of Philippine how china stole Scarbrough Shoal from them and ask them how peaceful/friendly china is.

Defy anyone to stop them? Funny how china would NOT dare to play that kind of game with Japan but continue to whine and bitch nonstop for over 70 years. Why china would not dare to push Japan around as they are doing with neighbors in SCS? Oh, something about Japan has one of the strongest Air Force and Navy in Asia. Bully china only dares to take on weaker neighbors. Talk about a pathetic bully.

Facts are facts. :)

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I think it's doubtful such action would be undertaken without explicit prior approval. While the Chinese President surely didn't say "go get that drone" word almost certainly came down the chain of command to fuck with the US in some way that can't substantially blow back on China.

The Chinese traveled under orders to shadow the American ship & see what might come up. And there it was-

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The chinese won't start shooting? Are you sure about that? Ask the people of Tibet, East Turk, Inner Mongolia, Vietnam, India how peaceful china is and they will laugh at your face. Ask the people of Philippine how china stole Scarbrough Shoal from them and ask them how peaceful/friendly china is.

Defy anyone to stop them? Funny how china would NOT dare to play that kind of game with Japan but continue to whine and bitch nonstop for over 70 years. Why china would not dare to push Japan around as they are doing with neighbors in SCS? Oh, something about Japan has one of the strongest Air Force and Navy in Asia. Bully china only dares to take on weaker neighbors. Talk about a pathetic bully.

Facts are facts. :)

So what?

Scarborough shoal?_

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/31/opinions/philippines-china-us-scarborough-shoal-south-china-sea/