The Chinese stole an underwater drone from a USN survey ship

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/16/politics/chinese-warship-underwater-drone-stolen/

So the US was surveying 100 miles from their old base at Subic Bay in the Philippines when the Chinese military grabbed the drone from the water.

My guess is obama will have sec of state lurch deliver a sharply worded apology to the Chinese government for using a drone too close to their new military bases in the South China Sea.

This all would have never happened if Trump did not call Taiwan.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

So the US was surveying 100 miles from their old base at Subic Bay in the Philippines when the Chinese military grabbed the drone from the water.

My guess is obama will have sec of state lurch deliver a sharply worded apology to the Chinese government for using a drone too close to their new military bases in the South China Sea.

Obviously we should double "defense" spending in rural areas.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

China puts missles, fighter jets in disputed islands

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Bowditch had stopped in the water to pick up two underwater drones. At that point a Chinese naval ship that had been shadowing the Bowditch put a small boat into the water. That small boat came up alongside and the Chinese crew took one of the drones.

lolol well you do what you gotta do for intelligence. i don't think any maritime crew thinks someone else is going to take something that's floating right in front of them. i guess that's gonna change.

50% chance there's going to be a dirt cheap underwater survey drone available on the market in the next few months

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I think it was a device for measuring ocean climate. I believe the Chinese suspect it of being some kind of spy device.

Yes that would justify stealing a drone when you are spying on the Chinese from a point 100 miles from the Philippines.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Yes that would justify stealing a drone when you are spying on the Chinese from a point 100 miles from the Philippines.

Well if you put something into international waters, basically anybody can pick it up if they want can't they?

Not sure why would the Chinese would want it if they knew it was just a climate gathering drone. Apparently you disagree with the hypothesis I posted, what is yours?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Not sure why would the Chinese would want it if they knew it was just a climate gathering drone.
Well duh! They were uploading the higher global temperatures to the drone. Global warming is a Chinese conspiracy after all.

Reactions: bshole

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
All the nut job born again wackjobs I've known throughout the years are probably creaming their pants right now.
All their crazy end times theories rely on evil China doing evil Chinese things.

Lot of folks in Government are probably having steam room parties over this.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
All the nut job born again wackjobs I've known throughout the years are probably creaming their pants right now.
All their crazy end times theories rely on evil China doing evil Chinese things.

Damn, I forgot about that! They get positively gleeful when stuff like this happens.

Take note not to go on a plane trip for the next year, we may have entered the end times folks and you never know if your pilot is a Christian. That rapture shit is gonna be a bitch on the unsuspecting unsaved.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I think it was a device for measuring ocean climate. I believe the Chinese suspect it of being some kind of spy device.
Like the supposed weather monitoring device that China has in Canadian waters at the mouth of the Straight of Juan De Fuca. Funny how they project.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000

Marijuana just legalized in your state?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Justification is a murky concept when you're talking about two powerful nations fucking with each other. The US probably wasn't "justified" in stealing the K-129 (loaded with nukes and soviet intel) from the ocean floor but we did it anyway. China wasn't "justified" when they went through that EP-3 with a fine tooth comb and made us pay to return it to the US after their own fighter crashed into it.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Wouldn't it be so hilarious if that drone was made in China (which it probably was)?

If I were that survey ship, I'd drop another one in the ocean but this time leave a really nice nasty surprise in it.

But knowing the Chinese as the efficient business folks they are, they've already copied it and have a ton of them for sale on ebay.

Dec 10, 2005
Justification is a murky concept when you're talking about two powerful nations fucking with each other. The US probably wasn't "justified" in stealing the K-129 (loaded with nukes and soviet intel) from the ocean floor but we did it anyway. China wasn't "justified" when they went through that EP-3 with a fine tooth comb and made us pay to return it to the US after their own fighter crashed into it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Ivy_Bells
And then there were other things that if we got caught we'd have had much bigger problems.

Reactions: K1052

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Wouldn't it be so hilarious if that drone was made in China (which it probably was)?

If I were that survey ship, I'd drop another one in the ocean but this time leave a really nice nasty surprise in it.

But knowing the Chinese as the efficient business folks they are, they've already copied it and have a ton of them for sale on ebay.

Made me smile....
Cheers

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
As a cold war kid, all this China action is very exiting.
Too bad Russia is a has been.We could have a proper party.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
When Obama lands in Hawaii the first thing he's going to do is tell China about this red line they'd better not cross.