Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 240 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
LOL, awesome info. So I guess i'm pulling the trigger on two of these. This is getting to be an expensive month :eek:

Now that I got a Rift i'm thinking i'm going to need a bigger boat (aka upgraded rig).

Need space to hold all of this new shit so a bigger desk will need to be researched too.

Trying to stay below the $1000 price point for a decent upgrade from my i5-2500K that still rocks to this day.

Lot's of Citizens are planning on upgrading when the game is closer to release. It appears that SC will take advantage of hyper-threading. As such, many people recommend going the i7 route. Personally, I'm in wait and see mode.....it doesn't cost anything. :)

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Another note - strafe can be used for all movement. There is no disadvantage to using forward strafe instead of throttle, you will see the same acceleration and max m/s.

The one thing I've noticed is that strafe speeds don't stick. It still depends on throttle setting.

ex 1. I'm cruising about, and I have throttle set to 100. I come across some pirates, and decide to slow down, but I use backwards strafe to reduce speed. Once I let go of the stick, it'll accelerate back to full speed, as throttle was at 100 before I strafed.

ex 2. I'm sitting at 0m/s, enjoying the scenery, when pirates spawn and I quickly forward strafe to full speed to get out of there. Once I release the stick, my ship will slow back down to 0m/s as that's where the throttle was.

Cliffs: Throttle setting determines base speed. Strafing only controls speed at the point in which you engage it...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my experience.

This is also why I use strafe on the left stick, and have bound throttle to the slider on the same left stick. When I'm in combat or close quarters flight, strafe is far more useful and I need the precision that comes with the stick. However, when I'm cruising about ( ie cruising Yela's belt en route to Grim), I just use the slider for throttle because once I set the throttle slider in position, it sticks and I can leave it alone. I also find the slider far more useful for setting precise speeds, or if I need to match speed with someone else. The slider's position makes it easy for me to default to having my hand on the stick for strafe, but I can quickly reach down with my thumb and move the slider. And if I'm just taking a relaxing cruise, I can let go of the strafing stick altogether, simply set the throttle to desired speed, and let my hand relax.

In fact, I've considered modding the slider to be wider so that I could rest my palm on it, but I haven't gotten around do it.

windowslivewriterthrustmastert16000mpcjoystick-81dfdscf7954-2.jpg

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I picked up that free Kore to 315P....just in case.

I'm holding onto the Kore simply because it's a cheap 2 seater with a great view. Once Stanton opens up and there's more to see, I want to get my wife to signon to my 2nd account and ride along with me.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
The one thing I've noticed is that strafe speeds don't stick. It still depends on throttle setting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my experience.

This is also why I use strafe on the left stick, and have bound throttle to the slider on the same left stick. When I'm in combat or close quarters flight, strafe is far more useful and I need the precision that comes with the stick. However, when I'm cruising about ( ie cruising Yela's belt en route to Grim), I just use the slider for throttle because once I set the throttle slider in position, it sticks and I can leave it alone. I also find the slider far more useful for setting precise speeds, or if I need to match speed with someone else. The slider's position makes it easy for me to default to having my hand on the stick for strafe, but I can quickly reach down with my thumb and move the slider. And if I'm just taking a relaxing cruise, I can let go of the strafing stick altogether, simply set the throttle to desired speed, and let my hand relax.

In fact, I've considered modding the slider to be wider so that I could rest my palm on it, but I haven't gotten around do it.

That's correct. I do the exact same thing (map throttle to my T16K slider, though I've found this to be buggy at times if mixing in strafe input).....just for use as "cruise control." I should have been more specific - - for combat purposes, there is no advantage to using throttle vs forward strafe. For general cruising, throttle works great.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I picked up that free Kore to 315P....just in case.
They managed to ruin the cockpit view of Reliant. That huge glass bubble promised so much!

Also, going from the reports, Reliant is a broken ship, with a lot of problems. Some (such as placement of thrusters in vulnerable positions) would require a ship re-design to be fixed.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
*T16K is ambidextrous. You can switch it between left and right handed by simply changing an attachment around.

*It has 6DOF, meaning you have both front to back, side to side AND twist.
That isn't 6DOF, only 3. For 6DOF you need the following:
pitch (up/down)
yaw (left/right)
roll (left/right)
thrust (left/right)
thrust (up/down)
thrust (forward/backwards)

Now all the atmospheric flight guys also want a "throttle" which makes little sense in space, as it is a vacuum and thus you don't need a constant forward thrust to maintain forward movement. But from an ease of use, I can understand the purpose.

Reactions: shortylickens

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
That isn't 6DOF, only 3. For 6DOF you need the following:
pitch (up/down)
yaw (left/right)
roll (left/right)
thrust (left/right)
thrust (up/down)
thrust (forward/backwards)

Now all the atmospheric flight guys also want a "throttle" which makes little sense in space, as it is a vacuum and thus you don't need a constant forward thrust to maintain forward movement. But from an ease of use, I can understand the purpose.

TIL... I always though it just meant front/back/left/right/up/down as in the direction you could apply to the stick.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
They managed to ruin the cockpit view of Reliant. That huge glass bubble promised so much!

Also, going from the reports, Reliant is a broken ship, with a lot of problems. Some (such as placement of thrusters in vulnerable positions) would require a ship re-design to be fixed.

Well personally I think the view from my Reliant is fantastic. And all the ships are broken at the moment (there isn't one single ship in the code right now that's operating perfectly). But yes, there are design issues (as with other ships as well) that give me concern (to me, the cargo capacity is a bigger issue than vulnerable thrusters).

That's why I go the free Kore to 315P CCU (I've still got a Kore to Titan CCU too but I'll lose $15 of value if I use that one): options.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

I just don't see the Reliant as a combat oriented ship; at least not one that would concern itself with thruster position in the way a combat ship would. One could argue that a 747's engines are exposed and vulnerable.. but in the same sense.. They shouldn't be engaging any fighter jets nor any AA fire.

My hopeful use of the Reliant is as a touring ship, nothing more, nothing less.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
There is also the combat version: Reliant Tana. Same base design.

Also, if you want a purely cargo ship, Hull-A is better. Reliant is supposed to be somewhat multi-role.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
For those wondering about ship tweaks in 2.5, here's a link to changes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...tbHg74KfsR9NRSPP0tUf3JgbA/edit#gid=1113415115

Looks like the Gladius got some love this time. Some pretty big improvements on rotation rates, and a big reduction on lateral inertia canceling (in other words the slide it has been plagued with). I don't normally do much PTU thanks to a data cap - but now I'm really tempted to jump in and check things out.

(BTW...if you're a Connie pilot, you got some serious nerfs with this pass)

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
(BTW...if you're a Connie pilot, you got some serious nerfs with this pass)

Those are rough. Last time I flew it, it wasn't exactly nimble. I just don't get their reasoning here. It's supposed to be pretty maneuverable for its size.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
There is also the combat version: Reliant Tana. Same base design.

Also, if you want a purely cargo ship, Hull-A is better. Reliant is supposed to be somewhat multi-role.

Personally the specs of the Hull B look better to me (as a single person hauler) than a Hull A.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Yes, Hull B has much bigger cargo capacity and other advantages (assuming the ship specs page is accurate - ha ha), but Hull A ($60) is currently cheaper than Reliant Kore ($65). Hull B is currently $90. That is a relatively big jump in price.

catnapper

Jul 19, 2010
I own a Reliant. I'm not too happy with what I hear about it. How does a CCU work? Is it like getting a token to use or not use as you please, or is it a done deal once you hit the confirm button? I might change to a 315P (for free I assume). I still like the looks of Reliant but it seems there are a lot of issues with it.

Reactions: shortylickens
Feb 4, 2009
I own a Reliant. I'm not too happy with what I hear about it. How does a CCU work? Is it like getting a token to use or not use as you please, or is it a done deal once you hit the confirm button? I might change to a 315P (for free I assume). I still like the looks of Reliant but it seems there are a lot of issues with it.
Don't stress the ships will change before release and they've been pretty easy to swap or upgrade if you like the reliant just wait and see what happens

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
You should get a few $0 CCUs both ways (Reliant Kore to 315P and 315P to Reliant Kore), so that you can switch back and forth at no cost a few times. Currently only the Reliant Kore to 315P $0 CCU is available. The other one will be available in a few days probably (when 2.5 will be released to live). You can buy 5 CCUs (of a certain type) at a time.

You can keep a CCU in your hangar and use it (apply it) only when you want. Or never apply it.

Once you apply a CCU, it is a "done deal" as you say. Only another CCU or melting can change the ship after that.

There is a time limit: when Star Citizen reaches beta stage, CCUs will no longer work.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
You should get a few $0 CCUs both ways (Reliant Kore to 315P and 315P to Reliant Kore), so that you can switch back and forth at no cost a few times. Currently only the Reliant Kore to 315P $0 CCU is available. The other one will be available in a few days probably (when 2.5 will be released to live). You can buy 5 CCUs (of a certain type) at a time.

You can keep a CCU in your hangar and use it (apply it) only when you want. Or never apply it.

Once you apply a CCU, it is a "done deal" as you say. Only another CCU or melting can change the ship after that.

There is a time limit: when Star Citizen reaches beta stage, CCUs will no longer work.

In addition, there have been numerous reports that CCUing the same ship multiple times (most common number quoted is six) will mess up your account. Most common advice is to not CCU that often.

Quite frankly, it's stupid to CCU a hull in it's current state because every ship can, and will, change multiple times before we get to beta. You should CCU only in the case of a visually different ship or a ship with a different intended role. I've only CCU'd once: from a Titan (ugly penguin) to a Kore (ugly b-wing) because of appearance.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
If too many CCUs break your account, you contact CIG customer service to fix it. It is their job, at least in cases like this. CCUs are provided by CIG, with no limitation on how many you can apply on the same ship.

There will be many years before the game will be released. Being stuck with a bad ship (like I am now with Aurora LN) is no fun. CCU is a cheaper alternative to buying yet another ship.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Quite frankly, it's stupid to CCU a hull in it's current state because every ship can, and will, change multiple times before we get to beta. You should CCU only in the case of a visually different ship or a ship with a different intended role. I've only CCU'd once: from a Titan (ugly penguin) to a Kore (ugly b-wing) because of appearance.

I concur. If the only reason you're CCUing is because you don't like the current performance of the ship, you're wasting effort.

People have CCU'd the Gladius like mad every patch because it's been broken / fixed/ broken so many times. I'll own this ship until the game is released. I bought it based on the role of "Laser focused dogfighter," and I'm confident that's exactly what it will be.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Try playing only with an Aurora (in the current shape) for a few weeks at least and then report back about how stupid CCU-ing is or is not.

Since 2.4.0 I only have access to an Aurora LN and a Merlin in PU (before that I mostly flied with a rented M50). Merlin is not that bad, but you can only fly so much just around Port Olisar.

In Arena Commander (Battle Royale) I can still use better ships (rented), but in 2.4 I get a crash or a disconnect after 2-5 minutes of play so I took a break from it. 2.4 PU is much more stable.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Try playing only with an Aurora (in the current shape) for a few weeks at least and then report back about how stupid CCU-ing is or is not.

Not to get the wrong idea, I think the option of CCU-ing / melting is great. I just think it's a bit funny when guys specifically buy a ship for a role (say, a Vanguard), and if a patch comes out where it doesn't perform good, they ditch it as if it's going to be ruined forever. I've had my 350R for quite some time, and it was horribly broken all the way to 2.0. Now it flies like a dream....there was really no point in going through all that if you bought this ship for the role it was designed for.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Not to get the wrong idea, I think the option of CCU-ing / melting is great. I just think it's a bit funny when guys specifically buy a ship for a role (say, a Vanguard), and if a patch comes out where it doesn't perform good, they ditch it as if it's going to be ruined forever. I've had my 350R for quite some time, and it was horribly broken all the way to 2.0. Now it flies like a dream....there was really no point in going through all that if you bought this ship for the role it was designed for.

I agree. Sometimes you have to stick it out. The Connie Aquila is my favorite ship, and if it comes out maneuvering like the Andromeda now I'll be disappointed, but in general I hope they'll stick to the original role. A multi-purpose multi-crew platform that can "keep up with all but the fastest fighters, and that's why it has the Merlin." I think the only reason it's pretty nerfed right now is to keep "P2W" arguments down. The forums would be rife with complaints if a large ship like that could keep up with most of the coffin jockeys with the firepower it has. Maybe once legit multicrew is a thing post-Item 2.0 and it takes a crew working together to maximize instead of a single pilot like right now they'll bring it back to what it should be. I have no problem with it taking a full crew to perform at its max.

I love all my ships and wouldn't dream of getting rid of them. Sabre, Avenger, Reliant, 300i, etc are all great ships, but none are perfect and that's how it should be.