Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 239 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I think this is just where SC fans are not going to agree - in the end, one of the groups is going to end up unhappy with the FM.

When some people think spaceship dogfights, they think Star Wars. Another group thinks Battlestar Galactica, which is much closer to what SC is at the moment.

When I think space combat, I think strafing. The MAVs should have massive thrust available to them, as thruster shunting routes energy from the powerplant where it is needed. Right now we have a sort of automatic version of this and a set ratio. In future builds we might be able to change the mains / mavs ratio to tweak the forward speed vs maneuverability of the ship.

The thing with thruster shunting is that for it to make sense rationally they are limited by their size. Assuming the mains are producing some sort of gas to be expelled which creates thrust, there is a max pressure it creates. The thrust would be limited to that pressure (which would be the same between mains and mavs) and the cross-sectional area of the opening. This puts the thrusters at an inherent disadvantage (which I'm fine with). The mains are there for a reason, and people should learn how to use them.

I'm fine with strafe existing, but it needs to have an acceleration disadvantage compared to rotating and using your mains.

This makes sense, as when you change flight modes into Cruise, you're essentially providing your mains almost all available powerplant energy to attain huge forward speed, and almost no maneuverability. You obviously can't laterally strafe at cruise speeds because the size of MAV thrusters limits how much thrust they can produce.

But that's not what we're told by the devs and in lore. Max speed is limited by how powerful your MAVs are. It's tied to how fast you can stop on your weakest axis. Want to go faster? Get strong MAVs so that you can stop faster and it will let you go faster.

I think you're right that there's going to be contention no matter what is released. IMO, I don't want to see a strafe-fest, nor do I want a boring atmo ED style model. Something between (Galactica style is a good way to put it) that's very mains centric and slidey sounds perfect for me.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I think you're right that there's going to be contention no matter what is released. IMO, I don't want to see a strafe-fest, nor do I want a boring atmo ED style model. Something between (Galactica style is a good way to put it) that's very mains centric and slidey sounds perfect for me.

I can take slidey (to a certain degree). There is nothing more exhilarating to me than attack off-axis - - it demands a lot of situational awareness. There's a lot of talk about how it would squish pilots into mush....that's only acceleration. You could laterally / vertically strafe at 10,000 m/s and the pilot wouldn't even notice.....it's just how quickly he got to that speed that would squish him, not the eventual speed he arrived at.

I'm pretty open-minded. If CIG wants to throw out a flight model that lowers acceleration and puts less limits on max m/s, I'm all for trying it. Just PLEASE don't nerf a pet axis because a large group of atmo simmers loves the way their MIG flies. That's what annoys me. It took me all of 2 hours to get bored to tears of ED combat. AC was like a revelation of 6DOF compared to that sh*t.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Just PLEASE don't nerf a pet axis because a large group of atmo simmers loves the way their MIG flies. That's what annoys me. It took me all of 2 hours to get bored to tears of ED combat. AC was like a revelation of 6DOF compared to that sh*t.

Cheers.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011

Indeed my friend.

leo.jpg

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Bought the $60 package. The game so far is amazing. As a newbie I have no idea what to do. I hooked up my Xbox one controller and it doesn't do anything. Not sure what to map what to what so that I'm more proficient.

When I go to my hangar what exactly am I supposed to do from there?

If someone has links to a newbie video or website let me know.

I wish the game had better guidance but it is what it is. Hoping to set it up with my Rift tomorrow.

Feb 4, 2009
Bought the $60 package. The game so far is amazing. As a newbie I have no idea what to do. I hooked up my Xbox one controller and it doesn't do anything. Not sure what to map what to what so that I'm more proficient.

When I go to my hangar what exactly am I supposed to do from there?

If someone has links to a newbie video or website let me know.

I wish the game had better guidance but it is what it is. Hoping to set it up with my Rift tomorrow.

I think you & techboy should hook up via teamspeak. He's got some good flight time in & you've got the Rift he's interested in.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
There isn't OR support. It'll come.....eventually.

Linux23...your best bet is to Youtube Star Citizen videos. BoredGamer and STLYoungblood have fantastic videos. In think the guys at INN (imperial news network....a site devoted to following SC) have a beginners guide video too. But it might be out of date.

Right now there is a LOT of learn by doing on your own. Go into Free Flight (Drone Sim) and you'll be all alone in space.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
So Friday night I got into 2.5. Low FPS all over the place. I did get to try my Reliant. It's ok. It's pretty weak (I clipped an asteroid and lost an entire wing because of it), but it's not as slidey as I thought it might be.

Definitely a cool looking ship.

Spent 1 hour attempting to find Green Imperial Mining (GRIM HEX). Failed. I'll give it another go tonight.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Quantum Drive from Olisar to Yela.

Hang a right at the ring, fly to the lower part of the ring, and follow the outer part of the ring for about 5 minutes. Grim hex is on the lower, outer part of the ring about 5 minutes to the right of where you come out of QD from Olisar.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Quantum Drive from Olisar to Yela.

Hang a right at the ring, fly to the lower part of the ring, and follow the outer part of the ring for about 5 minutes. Grim hex is on the lower, outer part of the ring about 5 minutes to the right of where you come out of QD from Olisar.

Thanks! I did this except I flew along the inner, upper ring (but I did go right after coming out of QD).

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
There isn't OR support. It'll come.....eventually.

Linux23...your best bet is to Youtube Star Citizen videos. BoredGamer and STLYoungblood have fantastic videos. In think the guys at INN (imperial news network....a site devoted to following SC) have a beginners guide video too. But it might be out of date.

Right now there is a LOT of learn by doing on your own. Go into Free Flight (Drone Sim) and you'll be all alone in space.

thanks man, and everyone else. the game really is awesome and the $60 well spent, i just need to make a time investment to sit and learn and explore around. If I can get the controls right i'll be good to go. My sidewinder just died so i'm looking for a replacement. :(

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
thanks man, and everyone else. the game really is awesome and the $60 well spent, i just need to make a time investment to sit and learn and explore around. If I can get the controls right i'll be good to go. My sidewinder just died so i'm looking for a replacement. :(

Check out the Thrustmaster T16000-M. I have one. It's very popular with the SC crowd because: it's cheap, multi-dexterous, and has a good sensor.

Having said that, I have not used mine with SC yet. I'm waiting until the control schemes are more settled. Then I'll pick up a second one and fly dual stick. At least that's my plan.....

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Check out the Thrustmaster T16000-M. I have one. It's very popular with the SC crowd because: it's cheap, multi-dexterous, and has a good sensor.

Having said that, I have not used mine with SC yet. I'm waiting until the control schemes are more settled. Then I'll pick up a second one and fly dual stick. At least that's my plan.....

Yeah the T16000-M is a fantastic controller, definitely recommended unless you want to spend hundreds on a stick.

When does the gamescom streaming start, today or later this week? Can't wait to see what they show off!

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

I recommend the T16000M, and I recommend two if you can afford it.

I built myself a nice little 'control center' for them. Basically a wooden plank, with the sticks velcro'd down, a wireless keyboard (with trackpad) between the sticks, and 3 mounts for tablets. Oh, and a usb hub mounted below so I have just a single USB connection to plug in.

Xw1YwnL.jpg

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I recommend the T16000M, and I recommend two if you can afford it.

I built myself a nice little 'control center' for them. Basically a wooden plank, with the sticks velcro'd down, a wireless keyboard (with trackpad) between the sticks, and 3 mounts for tablets. Oh, and a usb hub mounted below so I have just a single USB connection to plug in.

Xw1YwnL.jpg

That's insane. :eek: I'd love to build a command center like that.

Why two T16000M's? One is dedicated to thrusters, etc?

Also, what does everyone think about this?

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Flight-Stick-Pc/dp/B001CXYMFS

Or is the T16K much better?

Feb 4, 2009
^^^ I don't have a stick right now but I do know SC forums members like that T16000m. Your amazon link does look nifty.

Who has that bad ass Ballers ship roster and is it time to update it?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Flight-Stick-Pc/dp/B001CXYMFS

There's a lot better sticks out there than the T16K, however, not much better out there for the price. <$50

So for <$100 you can have two sticks.

*T16K is ambidextrous. You can switch it between left and right handed by simply changing an attachment around.

*It has 6DOF, meaning you have both front to back, side to side AND twist.

*It has accurate sensors for a device in its price range.

*It has sliders at the bottom of the stick that can be used for throttle/zoom

I use my left stick as strafe, and right stick as yaw, pitch.

I love the setup, and I haven't been convinced to look at anything else. I know there's better sticks out there, but this works so well for me I don't even want to look around. I really just want them to keep refining this stick, and there is a better version coming out.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
That said, having 2 sticks, looking at the game and seeing your character holding 2 sticks.. it's way more immersive than using a kbm/gamepad.

The feeling you get holding 2 sticks while flying is remarkably different and better than anything else.

Goon: Hey man, SC sucks.. It's hard to control, and the it doesn't play well
TBJK: Try dual sticks yet?
Goon: No way man
TBJK: PCMASTERRACE, SON.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
In this game you need to control 6 axis:
- pitch;
- yaw;
- roll;
- strafe forward/back;
- strafe left/right;
- strafe up/down.

One joystick (if it has twist) allows to control 3 axis. Hence the need for two joysticks.

If you can also add pedals to those two joysticks, that would be even better (the twist axis on a stick is less accurate to use, but still much better than using a keyboard or a on/off HAT).

A throttle and stick setup is better suited for airplane games. You can bind something to a HAT, but that is less than optimal.

In addition, the stick itself is inferior to T.16000M, as already explained by TechBoyJK.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011

I'm going to concur with TechBoy - - T16Ks have a much better sensor than those, and you really can't beat the price for the quality.

I also highly recommend dual-stick (my personal preference is also with pedals).

Flight in SC is 6DOF with powerful maneuverability thrusters (MAVs). As such, a typical HOTAS throttle is not ideal as it only allows analog control of a single axis, and this game will greatly reward you for having analog control of all available axiis.

I map the axis as follows:

Primary Stick:
X: Yaw
Y: Pitch

Secondary (Strafe):
X: Lateral Strafe
Y: Vertical Strafe
Z (Twist): Roll

Pedals:
Toe Brakes: Forward / Backward Strafe

Another note - strafe can be used for all movement. There is no disadvantage to using forward strafe instead of throttle, you will see the same acceleration and max m/s.

Last edited:

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Today I bought the Aurora CL to Reliant Kore upgrade, taking advantage of the $10 discount. I may use it like this or as an intermediary step to something else (for instance to upgrade from Reliant Kore to 315P for free).

Last edited:

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
LOL, awesome info. So I guess i'm pulling the trigger on two of these. This is getting to be an expensive month :eek:

Now that I got a Rift i'm thinking i'm going to need a bigger boat (aka upgraded rig).

Need space to hold all of this new shit so a bigger desk will need to be researched too.

Trying to stay below the $1000 price point for a decent upgrade from my i5-2500K that still rocks to this day.