Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 180 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Was thinking about going from a Super Hornet to a Freelancer DUR. I really love the look of the Freelancer, but that cockpit visibility... way too constrained. It's so bad that I will probably never fly the thing or its variants, which is a real shame.

Yeah, its view is comically bad. I wasn't a fan of it before, but that put the nail in the coffin for me.

anybody know when the $45 packages go away? The ones that include both games?

I'm thinking about picking up a 2nd account so my friends can join me without having to sign up themselves.

Jan 31 is what I remember seeing.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Just saw this on reddit. It's actually kind of sad.

The 2.1 PU - A Game on the Verge of Extinction

The 2.0 and 2.1 PU are their own special little game within a game that will soon be wiped out with the release of persistence.

There is an air of kindness and teamwork that permeates Crusader at the moment. If you want to try out the new ship, someone will happily spawn one for you. If you want to get in a dog fight, there are plenty who would be happy to at the Security Post. Want to steal someone's ship? No big deal, they can just spawn another. Want to be a turret gunner? Just climb into someone's turret, start firing and then laugh about how awesome it looks when the ship you're in explodes.

Once you can no longer spawn infinite ships, and you have to spend money to get your ship fixed, the game will change so dramatically that it will almost be a new game. The world will be much more hostile. Griefers will be much more annoying. There will be no more friendly dog fights. Someone climbing into your ship to try it out will likely be shot instead of encouraged.

Now obviously this change is a necessary step in creating the game that we all want to play. But we should be aware that we are playing something special here, something unique. This half formed game has spawned some interesting social structures and gameplay that are a lot of fun, but they won't be around for much longer.

Although perhaps, with a little effort on our part, we can keep some of the altruism that has made the PU such a fun place to fly around.

Perhaps.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Yeah, me too.

I got into Crusader a bit today to try out my Connie. Took out three Vanguards in a row (first and third were the same guy). They're glass cannons right now. The Connie's 155 SCM speed is too slow, but with AB it's manageable. ~650 CRU for the Connie is unacceptable. My 300i in AB on SCM is almost that fast.

A lot of work to be done, for sure.

So, it occurred to me hours later that, aside from less than ideal frame rates, I had only two technical issues during that play session (neither of which were stability related). This is awesome progress on the stability front from a month ago when you were marking how longer you were in Crusader in the single digit minutes.

For some reason my Connie wouldn't QD to CryAstro until I got out of the seat and got back in (systems restart). Then, once there, there was no option to target the sole larger pad that can fit it, so I couldn't even attempt to repair (manual landing won't trigger it for me).

Otherwise, 2.1 is a huge improvement over 2.0.

Edit: And this was said recently by one of the devs on their Discord channel:

Zyloh - 2016-01-15 18:21:55 UTC
Crusader is a test-bed environment that we are finally getting to a good state stability wise. Of course it will be optimized further in time(right now our focus is on development).

Zyloh - 2016-01-15 18:22:18 UTC
Now that we have it in a better place, the content/features is going to get epic.

Zyloh - 2016-01-15 18:22:22 UTC
*more* epic

Last edited:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Wow. To reiterate on what Sabre states above, I spent 1 hour in 2.1 live today and am struck by how different it is from just one month ago. Very stable for me. Smooth. No FPS drops.

I even made it to Karesh and was able to FPS against another player which so much more fun when you're not playing a slide show.

Major props to CIG. I knew they would make progress, but damn this was a lot MORE progress than I expected. It was almost like playing a game instead of testing code!

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Yeah it really is very stable. I feel like a kid discovering gaming for the first time, so much fun!

Question on flight mechanics. Is there an optimal way to make turns? In Elite Dangerous for instance the flight model is like planes in space, so you use pitch and roll to do turns effectively. In SC I've just been doing turns with yaw, is there a better way? I know you can decouple and do nifty maneuvers, and use boost to minimize sliding and all that, but I'm just wondering if there are optimal ways to maneuver in SC.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Latest patch seems to have fixed my FPS issues, very smooth now on my rig (which it should have been). Played long enough to fly over to the Convolex shipping hub, explored inside with another player, then watched our ships outside get blown up (we were inside, heard the warp in sound, then splosions! Very sad, I had even "hidden" my ship on the dark side.

5/7, would play again!

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Question on flight mechanics. Is there an optimal way to make turns? In Elite Dangerous for instance the flight model is like planes in space, so you use pitch and roll to do turns effectively. In SC I've just been doing turns with yaw, is there a better way? I know you can decouple and do nifty maneuvers, and use boost to minimize sliding and all that, but I'm just wondering if there are optimal ways to maneuver in SC.

I roll, a LOT. Rolling helps me get PIP on target quicker than just yaw alone. Plus it screws up your opponent's PIP. I like to slide into a target with a roll + strafe. A slow/medium roll during jousts is a very effective way to get fire on your target while at the same time screwing up their aim.

The cool thing is, you have complete freedom in this game. There's no ED artificial constraints on movement (well, since 2.0 there is, sort of). Move the way you want, in any direction you want, because it's SPACE. :)

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Yeah it really is very stable. I feel like a kid discovering gaming for the first time, so much fun!

I think most of the expert pilots employ booster or afterburner during turns. I haven't figured out how to do it effectively yet. I think it's left Shift key but I know they were messing with this during 2.0.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Latest patch seems to have fixed my FPS issues, very smooth now on my rig (which it should have been). Played long enough to fly over to the Convolex shipping hub, explored inside with another player, then watched our ships outside get blown up (we were inside, heard the warp in sound, then splosions! Very sad, I had even "hidden" my ship on the dark side.

5/7, would play again!

Griefing is a big complaint right now. I guess it makes sense. You have the "haves" (people who could afford to buy other ships) and the "have nots" (owners of just the starter packages) intermingling. It's only natural the have nots would want to experience the better ships without the "work" of REC.

Every session I've played, I had my ship destroyed while parked, or stolen while parked. It's very annoying.

In fact, I've read (not experienced) that the vanguard's weapons have a range long enough that they can reach Port Olisar's ship platforms from outside of the armistice zone. People are camping and just destroying ships on the platform as they spawn. People suck. Griefing is still my #1 concern about this game.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Every session I've played, I had my ship destroyed while parked, or stolen while parked. It's very annoying.

I find it's maybe 1 out of 3 times I play I can actually get to my ship before someone else has boarded and attempted a take off.

Connies seem especially prone to this.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
The cool thing is, you have complete freedom in this game. There's no ED artificial constraints on movement (well, since 2.0 there is, sort of). Move the way you want, in any direction you want, because it's SPACE. :)

Some ships have different personalities, so it depends on the ship. Certain ships pitch faster than yaw, and they can strafe harder in certain directions. Takes a good pilot learning his ship to make good use of them.

BTW, I bound strafe to my toe pedals and I like it. Though, I'm debating making the toe pedals roll and the slide action strafe. Analog strafe control does help with precision maneuvering it.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I think most of the expert pilots employ booster or afterburner during turns. I haven't figured out how to do it effectively yet. I think it's left Shift key but I know they were messing with this during 2.0.

Yeah, I AB constantly. I don't boost much, because AB is just more effective. I have it tied to my primary stick trigger as a double-tap. Mostly to close distance and get within engagement range, but with an M50 in the asteroids, it's an invaluable way to avoid getting shot. That is, if you can keep from blacking out.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Some ships have different personalities, so it depends on the ship. Certain ships pitch faster than yaw, and they can strafe harder in certain directions. Takes a good pilot learning his ship to make good use of them.

BTW, I bound strafe to my toe pedals and I like it. Though, I'm debating making the toe pedals roll and the slide action strafe. Analog strafe control does help with precision maneuvering it.

Cool to hear that you're enjoying the strafe pedals setup. Lots of options there with the toe brakes. I think roll is more important than most people do. I always roll into a target because it's just more accurate for me than using yaw alone.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I think roll is more important than most people do. I always roll into a target because it's just more accurate for me than using yaw alone.

You've mentioned this before. But can you explain this one to me? Conceptually it doesn't make sense (maybe it's just me). There isn't any lift is space so I can't understand why roll would help.

If you're flying straight ahead and a target crosses your bow, all roll is going to do is turn your ship over. You would still be flying in the same direction right? Yaw would allow you to point your bow at the target.

What am I missing?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
You've mentioned this before. But can you explain this one to me? Conceptually it doesn't make sense (maybe it's just me). There isn't any lift is space so I can't understand why roll would help.

If you're flying straight ahead and a target crosses your bow, all roll is going to do is turn your ship over. You would still be flying in the same direction right? Yaw would allow you to point your bow at the target.

What am I missing?

My guess is it is to level the horizon, maybe relative to the target. Not sure. Just a guess.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I yaw a lot and it's the primary reason I made my stick pitch/yaw instead of pitch/roll. Easier to aim with. Since I roll much less, it made sense to put it on an axis I use less or have less precision in, which is why I put it on pedals. I only roll to manage G's or to switch a rotation axis to one my ship is better at.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I yaw a lot and it's the primary reason I made my stick pitch/yaw instead of pitch/roll. Easier to aim with. Since I roll much less, it made sense to put it on an axis I use less or have less precision in, which is why I put it on pedals. I only roll to manage G's or to switch a rotation axis to one my ship is better at.

I just got 2 Thrustmaster T16000m's setup over the weekend. Was pretty hard getting all the configuration quirks figured out but I finally got a decent config going shortly before bed last night. I got in about an hour of dogfighting and it worked out well. With the current setup, I'm not even sure if I want to get pedals. I'd almost rather get a 3rd joystick just for throttle.. Or maybe a tiny analog stick for strafing.

I ended up doing Right Hand pitch/yah with stick twist being roll. This way if I want to turn and roll I can turn my wrist into it. I put my two primary weapons as each main trigger on left/right hands. At work now. I'll post a full config tonight after work.

J9h8BIn.jpg

Last edited:

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I picked up Star Citizen back in late 2013. I think I bought the one that was $45 at the time. Does that include the FPS part? I'm looking at messing around with it finally, where should I start?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I picked up Star Citizen back in late 2013. I think I bought the one that was $45 at the time. Does that include the FPS part? I'm looking at messing around with it finally, where should I start?

I'm not sure what that $45 sub got you, but if it's like hte current $45 sub, which expires at the end of this month, it gets you a ship, license for both Star Citizen and Squadron 42 (single player game) and access to the alpha.

I would go to robertsspaceindustries.com and get logged in. Once you're logged in, follow the top navbar to get to the hangar. What kind of ship is there?

Once you get verified, download the latest 2.1 alpha (25GB+) and get logged in. Once you get logged into the game, let us know.

also, check out reddit.com/r/starcitizen

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Okay, I looked it up. I have the Digital Mercenary package from Oct 2013. Includes the Squadron 42 pack and an Aurora MR.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015

There isn't really an "FPS part" anymore. You experience the universe in first person, so it's always the FPS part.