Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 181 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Okay, I looked it up. I have the Digital Mercenary package from Oct 2013. Includes the Squadron 42 pack and an Aurora MR.

You have some catching up to do! It'll be fun. But basically, within the Persistent Universe we currently have available to us, you will want to get to Port Karesh. That's the 'area' that's been designated as a FPS zone. Once you land, go inside the station and explore...there are weapons lying around to pick. And it's pretty much free-for-all: shoot anything and everything that moves.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
1) Does anybody know if there will be an Arena FPS component? Something like Battlefield.. maybe different maps are different planets, star bases, etc.

2) Does anybody know if there is any android apps that interface with the controllers? It would be nice to use my 10" tablet to control the HUD.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
1) Does anybody know if there will be an Arena FPS component? Something like Battlefield.. maybe different maps are different planets, star bases, etc.

That's what Star Marine will be, when it ever comes out.

2) Does anybody know if there is any android apps that interface with the controllers? It would be nice to use my 10" tablet to control the HUD.

Google Roccat Powergrid

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Okay, so Squadron 42 is the story portion of the game right? I was thinking it was the FPS (as in call of duty) thing, but that must be the Space Marine part.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Okay, so Squadron 42 is the story portion of the game right? I was thinking it was the FPS (as in call of duty) thing, but that must be the Space Marine part.

Yes, Squadron 42 is the single player campaign, similar to the Wing Commander games. There will be some FPS sequences in it. Star Marine will be an in fiction simulation with traditional arcade FPS characteristics (ala CoD).

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Man between finally settling on my keybindings for a bit, and working on getting PowerGrid setup, I can't believe how cheap I'm able to put together a makeshift sim pit for.

2 Thrustmaster 16000m = $100
Power Grid = Free (at least for now)

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I just got 2 Thrustmaster T16000m's setup over the weekend. Was pretty hard getting all the configuration quirks figured out but I finally got a decent config going shortly before bed last night. I got in about an hour of dogfighting and it worked out well. With the current setup, I'm not even sure if I want to get pedals. I'd almost rather get a 3rd joystick just for throttle.. Or maybe a tiny analog stick for strafing.

I ended up doing Right Hand pitch/yah with stick twist being roll. This way if I want to turn and roll I can turn my wrist into it. I put my two primary weapons as each main trigger on left/right hands. At work now. I'll post a full config tonight after work.

J9h8BIn.jpg

Any particular reason you'd run a 3rd joystick for throttle instead of a dedicated throttle?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Any particular reason you'd run a 3rd joystick for throttle instead of a dedicated throttle?

I'm using the two T16000M's as left/right sticks.

These are my primary controllers.

The T16000M stick supports twisting, which most dedicated throttle's dont. This allows me to use the stick as a throttle as well as twisting it for up/down strafe.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
You've mentioned this before. But can you explain this one to me? Conceptually it doesn't make sense (maybe it's just me). There isn't any lift is space so I can't understand why roll would help.

If you're flying straight ahead and a target crosses your bow, all roll is going to do is turn your ship over. You would still be flying in the same direction right? Yaw would allow you to point your bow at the target.

What am I missing?

I think it's mostly my preference and accuracy of being able pitch the PIP onto target and maintain fire. In order to do that I always need to be rolling into a position to keep pitch the primary vector.

I think I got into the habit after watching a lot of videos from Whitesnake and BravenTooth (a couple of ace BR pilots). It's something I don't even think about now, it's just an automatic response to aiming.

I've seen lot of other really good pilots who hardly use roll and just yaw at everything. It's whatever you get comfortable with.

Last edited:

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
You've mentioned this before. But can you explain this one to me? Conceptually it doesn't make sense (maybe it's just me). There isn't any lift is space so I can't understand why roll would help.

If you're flying straight ahead and a target crosses your bow, all roll is going to do is turn your ship over. You would still be flying in the same direction right? Yaw would allow you to point your bow at the target.

What am I missing?

Pitching too much can cause black/red out, knocking you unconscious. Rolling is a good way to manage G effects on the pilot. Say i'm pitching up a lot and about to black out. Roll 180 & continue the maneuver by pitching down, and the blackout fades very quickly.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I'm using the two T16000M's as left/right sticks.

These are my primary controllers.

The T16000M stick supports twisting, which most dedicated throttle's dont. This allows me to use the stick as a throttle as well as twisting it for up/down strafe.

So on your secondary stick, you're doing reverse / forward strafe on the Y axis, lateral strafe on the X axis, and up/down strafe on the twist?

I tried that once and I got tired of holding the stick forward, but I know a lot of guys that love that setup.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Pitching too much can cause black/red out, knocking you unconscious. Rolling is a good way to manage G effects on the pilot. Say i'm pitching up a lot and about to black out. Roll 180 & continue the maneuver by pitching down, and the blackout fades very quickly.

I never thought about that. That's a great use of roll.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Is this simulated in the Star Citizen game, or are you talking about blackouts when flying real planes?

I'm not sure it's totally accurate/correct. By rolling, you turn negative Gs to positive Gs or vise versa. I believe that pilots with the air bladders, breathing, clenching muscles and all that (to keep blood OUT of their legs during a positive G situation) can get above 5 Gs; Negative Gs however are much harder - instead of blood pooling in your legs/lower extremities, it pools in your head...

Aka, if you're trying a 7 G turn, you can probably withstand that as long as its positive and you know what you're doing/have stuff to assist you that constricts blood flow to the legs. If you are trying a negative 7 G turn, you can't sustain it. Not as far as I've ever been aware of.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
For those that continue to worry about insurance and LTI:

CIG Matt Sherman (13:06:05): And even then, it’s planned to be run against a /played value, not just real-time lapse.
CIG Matt Sherman (13:06:39): Ya, so 6mo insurance would equal 4320 hours of played-time.

So the standard 6-month insurance is effectively LTI, unless you plan to log more than 4300 hours into SC. ;)

Feb 4, 2009
For those that continue to worry about insurance and LTI:

So the standard 6-month insurance is effectively LTI, unless you plan to log more than 4300 hours into SC. ;)

Doesn't that admit its worth more than we thought so at the 6 month mark you'd need to play a crap ton more to afford it or am I completely wrong?

Oh wait its six months of playtime not 6 calendar months?
I'm confused....

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Doesn't that admit its worth more than we thought so at the 6 month mark you'd need to play a crap ton more to afford it or am I completely wrong?

Just the opposite. 6-months insurance is worth over 4300 hours of in-game playtime.

And if somebody manages to pull that off, CIG has indicated that buying additional insurance will be a minimal cost. What they're basically saying is for people who purchased a ship to back the game, it will pretty much be impossible to lose because of an insurance lapse. I think the lowest amount of insurance I've seen come with a ship is 3-months, which is over 2100 hours of playtime.

Last edited:

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
I just got 2 Thrustmaster T16000m's setup over the weekend. Was pretty hard getting all the configuration quirks figured out but I finally got a decent config going shortly before bed last night. I got in about an hour of dogfighting and it worked out well. With the current setup, I'm not even sure if I want to get pedals. I'd almost rather get a 3rd joystick just for throttle.. Or maybe a tiny analog stick for strafing.

I ended up doing Right Hand pitch/yah with stick twist being roll. This way if I want to turn and roll I can turn my wrist into it. I put my two primary weapons as each main trigger on left/right hands. At work now. I'll post a full config tonight after work.

J9h8BIn.jpg

Hi,what are those speakers? setup looks awesome btw:)

Last edited:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think it will be based on "play time" (i.e. 180 days x 24 hours = 4,320 hours).

I think it'll be based upon in-game time. And we've heard that that cycle will be much quicker....like 2 hours of real playing time = 1 day in the verse.

But even if they do it that way.....360 hours (6 months of hull insurance) of play time is a lot.

Regardless, I've never worried about hull insurance and I laugh at the people on the CIG forums obsessed with it.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Hey...you know what I realized last night?

When you enter an Avenger, you have to close the ramp behind you. It doesn't automatically happen.

I've been flying my Avenger around since November with my rear hatch open....and no one has said anything to me about it.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Regardless, I've never worried about hull insurance and I laugh at the people on the CIG forums obsessed with it.

I know...it's always been a topic of immense hand-wringing over there. I wish there was a filter on the forum that would hide any post with "LTI" in the message. ;)