Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
is the kickstarter fund drive separate from their own website or are they combining the totals for the various goals?
I thought they weren't going to kickstarter because it didn't offer everything they wanted..

wonder why they changed their minds?

OK, we now know why, but I still stand by this:
No cash until I see what happens to those who paid already.

Reactions: shortylickens

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I wonder what the EVE Online devs think about this game? I played EVE (and kept leaving and going back) because I wanted a fun multiplayer space sim to explore, trade, and fight in and it was the closest thing I could get to it. This game could be a serious threat to EVE, if they do pull it off.

Feb 4, 2009
I believe they need kickstarter to provide a reliable place to process donations. I believe the original site has been overwhelmed several times which explains the high interest but slow donations.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I wonder what the EVE Online devs think about this game? I played EVE (and kept leaving and going back) because I wanted a fun multiplayer space sim to explore, trade, and fight in and it was the closest thing I could get to it. This game could be a serious threat to EVE, if they do pull it off.

Yeah, I agree.
About Eve, I too played it, left it, played it again, left it... I like everything about it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that game. But, This game seems like it will be less punishing. One mistake in Eve could cost you years of effort. I'm cool with that, I like it. But something a little more casual but with all the complexities would be nice to have.

I really think this game could turn out to be the game of my dreams. Those videos showing views from within the cockpit are freaking incredible. Strap on an Oculus Rift(if it ever gets finished) and ... holy shit.

His goals seem very very demanding though. I want all of it.. but I can't imagine it really happening. I hope that I'm wrong.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I have one complaint. Really it is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.
Why are space fighters all based on airplanes? Did anyone else notice that those fighters actually have ailerons, flaps, and I think I even saw air brakes in one scene.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Why are space fighters all based on airplanes? Did anyone else notice that those fighters actually have ailerons, flaps, and I think I even saw air brakes in one scene.

I think they do so because of science fiction and also if you really think about it, there's no banking and whatnot in space. Wouldn't the realistic ideal for a fast moving space craft be like a cube or sphere with thrusters on every side? That just wouldn't be as fun.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
I think they do so because of science fiction and also if you really think about it, there's no banking and whatnot in space. Wouldn't the realistic ideal for a fast moving space craft be like a cube or sphere with thrusters on every side? That just wouldn't be as fun.

the easy explanation is that the spacecraft have to support atmospheric flight as well, and having all those flaps etc. helps for that. more efficient to use a flap to turn than to use a thruster.

of course they shouldn't move or do anything in space if that is the case.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006

It's either because they don't care, weren't paying any attention, or are firmly in the Space Opera/Fantasy camp (ie Star Wars). Though I think Babylon 5 had some real physics space tactics, iirc.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
My prediction is that a lot of you all are going to be sorely disappointed.

It would be stellar achievment otherwise....

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011

Why do you think that? Do you think that it's just to big of an undertaking for a game to be that immersive?

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
In a strange moment of weakness I found myself on the contribution page about to throw $125 at this project. Then I snapped out of it. As much as I loved WC and want to see this succeed, it isn't worth that much money to me, especially with hundreds of hours of video games unplayed on my PC right now. I'd be lucky to finish what I have by 2014.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Ya $125 seems a little much. Why not make a smaller donation like 30 or 35? Every littel bit helps.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Ya $125 seems a little much. Why not make a smaller donation like 30 or 35? Every littel bit helps.
Indeed. Plus it's likely that the retail price on the game will be over $30 (he's targeting AAA after all), so it's a good way to get it for a discount.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010

Easy comment to make. The averages are on your side. With all the fail games lately, this is an easy guess. But this ain't no average name, no average game legacy so I have to believe your just blowing hot air.

Now how about you enlighten us on how you came up with your prediction?

Feb 4, 2009
It's either because they don't care, weren't paying any attention, or are firmly in the Space Opera/Fantasy camp (ie Star Wars). Though I think Babylon 5 had some real physics space tactics, iirc.

Babylon 5 battles were brutal. Lasers were long rang cutting instruments not pew pew guns. Ships would change facing then saw others in half.
Cool stuff

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Sure some of the Babylon 5 maneuvers looked real, but for the most part they still flew like they were in an atmosphere, mostly banking turns.

Battlestar Galactica also did it that way. They did vector maneuvering when it would look cool, but for the most part the fighters flew like airplanes.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Banking in space actually makes a lot if sense. It would require fewer thrusters (4 to bank, and 4 to roll) than having thrusters in all directions to change directions.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Babylon 5 battles were brutal. Lasers were long rang cutting instruments not pew pew guns. Ships would change facing then saw others in half.
Cool stuff

They were awesome to watch, but it would be really lame to have a game where some races outpower others by a factor of 100 to 1. A single shadow vessel could obliterate pretty anything the Centuari, Earth Alliance, Narn, or League of Non-Aligned Worlds. Only the Minbari cruisers stood a chance.

In one espide, I believe 5 Narn Cruisers were sawed right in half, and it took two of them to even 'damage' a shadow vessel. Their ability to phase in and out of hyperspace made them pretty much impossible to beat. Even the Vorlons didn't have that technology.

Anyway, while B5 was AWESOME, a game like that wouldn't be. All the powers need to be comparable and the Babylon 5 universe had no such thing until the Shadows and Vorlons left the galaxy.

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Anyway, while B5 was AWESOME, a game like that wouldn't be. All the powers need to be comparable and the Babylon 5 universe had no such thing until the Shadows and Vorlons left the galaxy.

The entire point of the Vorlons and Shadows were that they were god like beings. Until one showed up at the station, Earth Alliance thought the Vorlons were mythical.
You didn't fight the Shadows, you got the hell out of their way or got stepped on like ants. In a video game you would not fight them they would be obstacles to get around. The Shadows were not undefeatable, but in a video game they would be something like raid bosses where you have to get alliances of multiple fleets together to attack them.