Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Watched B5 and FireFly but only a couple small bits and pieces of BSG. Now I'm going to have to go watch that whole series. Dam you guys! LOL

Reactions: shortylickens

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
BAH!

So EAF kills one minbari cruiser while having the entire rest of the fleet annihilated.

:D

That was some time before the series when the earth military was woefully underdeveloped. When I was reading up on the series recently, it was stated that at the time of the series humans had rapidly and largely caught up with the Minbari.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
That was some time before the series when the earth military was woefully underdeveloped. When I was reading up on the series recently, it was stated that at the time of the series humans had rapidly and largely caught up with the Minbari.

From what I understand from playing the PnP game and reading books, the Omega class destroyer was pretty much the first earth ship the "might" be able to go toe to to with a Minbari cruiser and still be able to walk away at the end of the day.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
WTF? I thought this thread was about a new space sim by Chris Roberts. You d-bags want to talk shop about B5 take it ATOT.

Feb 4, 2009
I'd still love to fly my own ship/fighter to assist in a larger battle. The be able to land inside a bigger unit and walk around/man turrets/repel boarders or board someone else/fix battle damage/have some kind off mess hall or bar where I could play fun mini games, poker, some drinking game, ECT.

Cyco-Dude

Oct 27, 2012
on topic, here are some updates (some are old, i just want them all together for clarity):

it looks like we'll hit the 750K kickstarter stretch goal (repair bot) on monday, and the 2.5M main stretch goal (new bomber) on tuesday. if you haven't already, check out the spectrum dispatches for some universe fiction and the time capsule for some universe backstory.

that's all for now...weekend is pretty slow; hopefully it picks up during the week.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
Roberts is turning out to be quite the huckster. Pay attention to those new bits of information: Some people are finding, with the added info, that this is not quite the game they were envisioning.

I suspect there will be a large difference between the initial pitch and the delivered game.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Roberts is turning out to be quite the huckster. Pay attention to those new bits of information: Some people are finding, with the added info, that this is not quite the game they were envisioning.

I suspect there will be a large difference between the initial pitch and the delivered game.

Specifics?

Cyco-Dude

Oct 27, 2012
it's been pretty clear form the beginning, the problem is the new generation of gamers just don't know what wing commander or privateer are.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
it's been pretty clear form the beginning, the problem is the new generation of gamers just don't know what wing commander or privateer are.

... And? The game has had no issues getting crowd funding support, so I don't understand why that matters.

Cyco-Dude

Oct 27, 2012
alright:

• we broke 2.5 million last night at 8pm et, so the game will launch with an additional ship: the anvil aerospace gladiator (it's a bomber). ten lucky backers will get one for free.
  • we've broken the 750,000 stretch goal on kickstarter long ago, so now everyone who has backed gets a free repair bot.
  • there is a live chat feature that was added to the rsi website if you want to chat amongst your "star citizens".
  • finally, chris roberts will be answering questions again on reddit in 20 minutes from now (1pm et). i'll update with a link when it goes live (presumably he'll be there all day). get those questions ready!

the reddit ama is now over, but there are plenty of answers to go through!

Last edited:

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
alright:

• we broke 2.5 million last night at 8pm et, so the game will launch with an additional ship: the anvil aerospace gladiator (it's a bomber). ten lucky backers will get one for free.
  • we've broken the 750,000 stretch goal on kickstarter long ago, so now everyone who has backed gets a free repair bot.
  • there is a live chat feature that was added to the rsi website if you want to chat amongst your "star citizens".
  • finally, chris roberts will be answering questions again on reddit in 20 minutes from now (1pm et). i'll update with a link when it goes live (presumably he'll be there all day). get those questions ready!
reddit ama is now live.

Nice. Thanks for the info. Man I can't wait for this project to get rolling.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
Interview was pretty good. I just hope he stays focused on a new age Space combat game and doesn't try to get fancy with too much else. X3 already covered the dull aspect of empire building. And it fails to really scratch that itch of fast paced space combat.

Cyco-Dude

Oct 27, 2012
Interview was pretty good. I just hope he stays focused on a new age Space combat game and doesn't try to get fancy with too much else. X3 already covered the dull aspect of empire building.
there's nothing new about what he's trying to do. he's done it all before, just not in one game.
And it fails to really scratch that itch of fast paced space combat.
this game or x3?

Cyco-Dude

Oct 27, 2012
depends on what you like and how much money you have to burn. why don't you hold off until the constellation artwork is out? it sounds like it's pretty close to getting done; maybe sometime next week. also, there will be additional add-ons on monday.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Anyone else thinking his project is too big to succeed? The MMO space fighter game is a lofty goal, but I imagine he's going to hit some major technical hurdles implementing it; perhaps even physically insurmountable. Eve still has issues (AFAIK) in crowded places all these years later, and it isn't reliant on precise aiming. By the time the real problems with the MMO part show themselves, it might be too late to redirect into making a successful single player/coop game.

I still backed it; hopefully, we'll still get a good single player game out of it. However, I think this is the riskiest project I've backed to date.

Feb 4, 2009
I'm thinking the mmo part will be lobbies or hubs like Guild Wars or D&D online, maybe small areas where you can walk around with a few other players like a bar or mission room or some trade outpost. I really doubt he's planning a full mmo experience.