Some examples of where Sanders supporters are coming from:

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 29, 2006
Everybody says we have to vote for Biden or Trump will win, but guess what, if Democrats don't nominate Sanders then Trump will win so every sensible moderate should vote for Sanders. The logic is just as good one way as it is the other. If the compromisers in the party want to compromise with Republicans, then let them compromise with the people in their own party who are ideologically much closer to them. The centrists control the country and the country is a mess. Get the fuck out of the way.

This. Works both ways, but one side doesn’t seem to care who they vote for while the other side does. So if the Dems want to win it’s obvious which side needs to bend. Or just more Trump.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
People are Working 2-3 Jobs and still need to split Rent. They can't afford a Medical Emergency, even if they have "Insurance". Their Student Debt will take decades to pay off. They had good paying Jobs, but those went away.

Obama won, because he offered Change, but it was too little and Hillary lost offering the Status Quo. Trump won, because he offered Change, but he mostly lied. Biden offers "Normalcy", which means the Status Quo minus Trumps' BS. Trump will be re-elected if Biden is the Democratic Nominee, because they have no reason to vote for Biden.
Trump and the GOP will fix it when they win because you are mad at Democrats for not fixing it when they haven't had enough power to fix anything for at least 40 years.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
People are Working 2-3 Jobs and still need to split Rent. They can't afford a Medical Emergency, even if they have "Insurance". Their Student Debt will take decades to pay off. They had good paying Jobs, but those went away.

Obama won, because he offered Change, but it was too little and Hillary lost offering the Status Quo. Trump won, because he offered Change, but he mostly lied. Biden offers "Normalcy", which means the Status Quo minus Trumps' BS. Trump will be re-elected if Biden is the Democratic Nominee, because they have no reason to vote for Biden.
Of course they have a reason to vote for him. It's the same as every election. You have a binary choice, you vote for A or you get B.
Vote for Biden or get Trump. That's your choice.

Reactions: dank69

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Hillary didn't offer status quo she offered a huge push for green jobs and that is just for starters. She also pushed hard for laws limiting the amount of money in politics, but you keep doing you.

Reactions: ivwshane

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Trump and the GOP will fix it when they win because you are mad at Democrats for not fixing it when they haven't had enough power to fix anything for at least 40 years.

Trump or Biden doesn't matter, these issues remain the same.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Trump or Biden doesn't matter, these issues remain the same.
Yup, not like things have gotten exponentially worse since Trump took office. 8 years of Bush did no damage. Clinton didn't eliminate the deficit.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yup, not like things have gotten exponentially worse since Trump took office. 8 years of Bush did no damage. Clinton didn't eliminate the deficit.

Bush did a lot of damage, but was re-elected anyway. Biden is no better than Kerry was and the end result will be the same.

You're thinking too small. Electibility is a stupid criteria, because it aspires for nothing.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
If Sanders supporters chose to vote for Sanders in the general election even if Biden is nominated, it would, with near certainty, result in Trump being elected. However, it could also send a big F-U message to the democratic party and tell them to wake up and that liberals are not just going to get in line behind whoever the party establishment wants.The short-term results of this would be bad (4 more years of Trump), but the long-term impacts could reinvigorate the Democratic part to start thinking more about putting forward a people's candidate, rather than just letting the party establishment pick who they want.

There are serious long term consequences to re-electing Trump. Forget Trump's emergency declaration this afternoon. Trump himself is the national emergency.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Bush did a lot of damage, but was re-elected anyway. Biden is no better than Kerry was and the end result will be the same.

You're thinking too small. Electibility is a stupid criteria, because it aspires for nothing.
Sure. Electability is important for Democrats. Any dumpster fire will do for Republicans. They don't let purity tests get in the way on election day. They know the consequences if they don't vote. We turn into Venezuela and enact Sharia Law. If Democrats don't vote, the only bad thing that happens is we lose more rights and start more wars and take more of your money and put it in the pockets of the insanely wealthy and cut your services. No big deal compared to dudes dressing like women and not being kicked in the teeth like they deserve.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
If people honestly think that Democratic and Republican status quo is similar, then there's no real dialogue to be had.

Will I take 4-8 years more of a Obama-lite administration over another 4 years of a Trump led administration? Hell yes. At a bare minimum I'll take making taxes more progressive, raising the minimum wage, and honest efforts to make healthcare more accessible, particularly for those in need - none of which will benefit me. And sure having an adult in office who's not a self-absorbed egomaniac who is breaking trust in our national institutions is a nice bonus. Not having literal corporate drones in control of the FTC, EPA, and other departments doesn't hurt either.

If Sanders had learned from 2016 and honestly worked to build a broader coalition this time around, he very well could have been leading the primary. But it had to be his way, and only his way, and he's paying the price. His inability to accept the good at the expense of the perfect would hamstring his own administration and with the absolute Republican resistance, severely limit his ability to actually get any real change done.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Everybody says we have to vote for Biden or Trump will win, but guess what, if Democrats don't nominate Sanders then Trump will win so every sensible moderate should vote for Sanders. The logic is just as good one way as it is the other.

No, it isn't. Logic is not arbitrary. Facts are facts. Biden is capturing Africian american, suburban and working class voters. Sanders is not getting the youth turnout he's promised. Those facts support the logical conclusion that Biden has a better chance of beating Trump. If you want to argue over those points, fine. But don't claim that "logic" is somehow arbitrary and not based on known facts. One argument isn't necessarily just as good as the next.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
You Sanders supporters keep claiming it is the Democratic Party Establishment that is preventing Sanders from getting his deserved nomination. I guess the votes of many thousand of little people like me-mean absolutely nothing.

If Sanders does get the nomination I'll hold my nose and vote for him, but I know if Sanders does win the Presidency he will accomplish absolutely nothing (just like his Senate career). Most likely what would happen if Sanders is nominated is the GOP will take back the House, continue to hold the Senate and Trump will crush Sanders in the general election.

The Democratic Party is, and always has been, a big tent. I greatly resent purists that demand my way or the highway to the rest of us.

Reactions: Brainonska511

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Do you think we should have zero military?

Right now we spend more on the military than the next 7 countries combined. This is a nonsense question that you're hiding behind to avoid confronting Biden's hawkish record. And that's pretty terrible.

/facepalm

What's the problem? Biden supported the Hyde amendment until last fucking year. You think he's a good candidate for reproductive rights?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
You Sanders supporters keep claiming it is the Democratic Party Establishment that is preventing Sanders from getting his deserved nomination. I guess the votes of many thousand of little people like me-mean absolutely nothing.

If Sanders does get the nomination I'll hold my nose and vote for him, but I know if Sanders does win the Presidency he will accomplish absolutely nothing (just like his Senate career). Most likely what would happen if Sanders is nominated is the GOP will take back the House, continue to hold the Senate and Trump will crush Sanders in the general election.

The Democratic Party is, and always has been, a big tent. I greatly resent purists that demand my way or the highway to the rest of us.

What do you like about Biden's platform? What is he offering to you?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
No, it isn't. Logic is not arbitrary. Facts are facts. Biden is capturing Africian american, suburban and working class voters. Sanders is not getting the youth turnout he's promised. Those facts support the logical conclusion that Biden has a better chance of beating Trump. If you want to argue over those points, fine. But don't claim that "logic" is somehow arbitrary and not based on known facts. One argument isn't necessarily just as good as the next.

Biden is winning working class voters? Link?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
They arent offering that, they just aren't offering exactly what you want. Thats how life goes, you have to deal with that and not throw your toys out of the pram.
You have to deal with the fact that Bernie supporters will throw their toys out of the pram because regular Democrats aren't grown up enough to go along with them. California just went Sanders, the bell weather state where all the rest of the nation will be heading. Get on board the Sanders purist train:

This train is bound for glory, this train.
This train is bound for glory,
Don't carry nothing but the righteous and the holy.

This train don't carry no gamblers, this train;
This train don't carry no gamblers, this train;
This train don't carry no gamblers,
Liars, thieves, nor big shot ramblers,

This train don't carry no liars, this train;
This train don't carry no liars, this train;
This train don't carry no liars,
She's streamlined and a midnight flyer,
This train don't carry no liars, this train.

This train don't carry no smokers, this train;
This train don't carry no smokers, this train
This train don't carry no smokers,
Two bit liars, small time jokers,
This train don't carry no smokers, this train.

This train don't carry no con men, this train;
This train don't carry no con men, this train;
This train don't carry no con men,
No wheeler dealers, here and gone men,
This train don't carry no con men, this train.

This train don't carry no rustlers, this train;
This train don't carry no rustlers, this train;
This train don't carry no rustlers,
Sidestreet walkers, two bit hustlers,

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Everybody says we have to vote for Biden or Trump will win, but guess what, if Democrats don't nominate Sanders then Trump will win so every sensible moderate should vote for Sanders. The logic is just as good one way as it is the other. If the compromisers in the party want to compromise with Republicans, then let them compromise with the people in their own party who are ideologically much closer to them. The centrists control the country and the country is a mess. Get the fuck out of the way.
The centrists don't control this country. The right wing does. We want to wrest control from them. Please join us, or, well, YOU, get the fuck out of the way. You want the moon, Moonie. Stamp your petualant pureist feet and refuse to help our fire brigade put out this clear and present danger, and all you'll get is the Big Fat Orange One mooning us.

Reactions: dank69

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The centrists don't control this country. The right wing does. We want to wrest control from them. Please join us, or, well, YOU, get the fuck out of the way. You want the moon, Moonie. Stamp your petualant pureist feet and refuse to help our fire brigade put out this clear and present danger, and all you'll get is the Big Fat Orange One mooning us.

Attract them.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
How about the argument that if Sanders people don't turn out Trump wins. I hope that doesn't turn out to be the case, but what if it is. Purity is a conservative ideal and has a genetic basis. I don't like having to compromise my ideals but I tasted dog shit on a dare as a child. Logic may not be arbitrary but you may not be dealing with reality as it really is, only as you imagine it should be, your notion of what is logical.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I think Bernie supporters should focus more on driving youth turnout in the remaining primaries and less on ideological Twitter battles.

Either that, or accept Bernie has lost and shift attention to the downballot races. Plenty of progressive candidates running for House and Senate. You won’t get M4A and student loan forgiveness without getting more support in Congress first.