Skylake vs A10 AMD

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
2.This you can do on any CPU,in fact why don't YOU do that whenever you are testing things?

Lower IQ settings that directly affect CPU performance ??? why would i need to do that on my tests ???

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
With the locked multiplier, it's extremely limited. For the extra cost of the better motherboard, the money is probably better spent on just getting the unlocked i5.

Yes, 4.68Ghz, very limited.

1536399.jpg

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
With the locked multiplier, it's extremely limited. For the extra cost of the better motherboard, the money is probably better spent on just getting
+..00+nlocked i5.

It's not an either or thing. If you want multiplier unlocking, you need a Z170 board. Besides the other reasons to upgrade from H110 (more than 2 DIMM slots, more than 4 USB3.0 or SATA ports, etc), the cheapest H110 board is $50 and a cheap H170 board is only $35 more at $85. A Z170 board can be had for $90. The difference between the $170 i3-6320 and the $255 i5-6600k when they're both on the same board is pretty substantial if it also means you can shuffle that cost around and move from a 960 to a 390 or 970.

Edit: That being said, it's a little premature to be comparing overclocking AM3 vs possible overclocking of locked Skylake chips that one guy has managed to do but won't share with the world.

Last edited:

MiddleOfTheRoad

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2014
Yes, 4.68Ghz, very limited.

1536399.jpg

Yeah -- and for the price of that $240 motherboard.... A wise consumer would have instead purchased an i7 and outperformed it at stock clock speed. Saving money by purchasing a locked chip and then buying a motherboard roughly 5 times the cost of a standard motherboard (to overclock a locked i3) is the definition of lunacy.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
That Supermicro C7H170-M board cost $240 :rolleyes:

Yeah -- and for the price of that $240 motherboard.... A wise consumer would have instead purchased an i7 and outperformed it at stock clock speed. Saving money by purchasing a locked chip and then buying a motherboard roughly 5 times the cost of a standard motherboard (to overclock a locked i3) is the definition of lunacy.

You are both too desperate to nitpick. The point is you can OC any non K on any board as long as there is BIOS support for BCLK change. And you can OC quite a lot.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
You are both too desperate to nitpick. The point is you can OC any non K on any board as long as there is BIOS support for BCLK change. And you can OC quite a lot.

Yea right, single guy on the net scores a Core i3 OC with a $240 board and suddenly every board can OC with just the right BIOS.

Im sure Intel will release a very special BIOS the next few days for everyone to OC those Core i3s even on H110 :rolleyes:

MiddleOfTheRoad

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2014

Your definition of Overclocking quite a lot and mine -- are very far apart.

You are bragging about an 800 Mhz overclock on an insanely expensive motherboard.... When most FX 8320e chips can overclock twice that amount on cheap $99 motherboards (Anandtech's review took the 3.2 Ghz chip up to 4.8 Ghz).

So color me not impressed. It's a dumb argument. Just buy an unlocked Skylake.

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I think OCing a locked i3 is a very intriguing concept. There are now sub-$100 Z170 boards out there that would make such a project an affordable and pretty cool introduction to overclocking.

MiddleOfTheRoad

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2014
I think OCing a locked i3 is a very intriguing concept. There are now sub-$100 Z170 boards out there that would make such a project an affordable and pretty cool introduction to overclocking.

Yeah, sure.... Whatever you say. It's about as exciting as overclocking a desktop Kabini. And the results are similarly futile IMO -- the majority of overclockers would focus on using better chips to start with (not dual cores).

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Yeah, sure.... Whatever you say. It's about as exciting as overclocking a desktop Kabini. And the results are similarly futile IMO -- the majority of overclockers would focus on using better chips to start with (not dual cores).

So low-budget overclocking only matters when it comes to AMD?

You are bragging about an 800 Mhz overclock on an insanely expensive motherboard.... When most FX 8320e chips can overclock twice that amount on cheap $99 motherboards (Anandtech's review took the 3.2 Ghz chip up to 4.8 Ghz).

Sorry but you're contradicting yourself.

MiddleOfTheRoad

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2014
So low-budget overclocking only matters when it comes to AMD?

Sorry but you're contradicting yourself.

No, I'm not. If you are an overclocker -- don't buy a locked chip. That's pretty consistent. If you want to do an Intel overclocking build on the cheap, then go buy a G3258 if you must.
But Intel's budget overclocking options quite frankly suck. An unlocked i3 is way overdue. You really need to spend i5 money to have a decent overclocker with sufficient threads for
modern gaming.

Last edited:

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003

Depends how easy it is, and what kind of results are achieved. Considering how little the premium is to move to Z170 from H110 (even outside the other benefits) it'd be worthwhile for a lot of people who were looking in the i3 price range where Intel legitimately competes with AMD offerings. A 4.5GHz 2C/4T Skylake processor paired with a MB for $250 isn't a bad value proposition.

The big deal would be if it's not i3 specific, and you can take the only slightly more expensive i5-6400 from 2.7 to 4+GHz.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
No, I'm not. If you are an overclocker -- don't buy a locked chip. That's pretty consistent. If you want to do an Intel overclocking build on the cheap, then go buy a G3258 if you must.
But Intel's budget overclocking options quite frankly suck. An unlocked i3 is way overdue. You really need to spend i5 money to have a decent overclocker with sufficient threads for
modern gaming.

An unlocked chip isn't really needed, as long as BCLK overclocking isn't ridiculous. Doubling the frequency of my E2140 was as simple as strapping on a decent heatsink and spending 5 minutes in the BIOS. Yes a real overclocker might have bought an X6800, but I wasn't about to pay that kind of money just to mess with the multiplier.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
The big problem of that overclock are...
- The temps rises like crazy to the point to rely on a freagin Liquid Nitrogen.
- The gains are not that big since it started at 3.9 Ghz... Other story could be starting at only 3.2 Ghz to below.

But I am not eliminating the credit that it can be OCed, but is not practical.

USER8000

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2012
HD530 of Skylake hangs in there pretty good now.

As always with an igp, the system ram has a big effect.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skylake-intel-core-i7-6700k-core-i5-6600k,4252-9.html

They are the only review really showing the HD530 in such a good light,even look at the Anandtech review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9763/the-amd-a8-7670k-apu-review-rocket-league/5

An A8 IGP is much faster than the HD530. The reason the Toms Hardware results look fantastic is since they are running the DDR4 at 3200MHZ which is nearly 50% past the official spec:

http://ark.intel.com/products/88191/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

Memory Specifications Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 64 GB Memory Types DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V Max # of Memory Channels 2 Max Memory Bandwidth 34.1 GB/s ECC Memory Supported ‡
No
Plus look at the difference in IGP performance between the Haswell Core i7 chips and the Core i3 4330 which have the same IGP - so that means the HD530 results for the Core i7 chips are probably a best case scenario. In reality the HD530 in a Core i3 is going to be slower and unless you get an expensive motherboard,you will be limited to much slower RAM speeds.

You only look at one of the very few reviews which have actually compared the Core i3 6100 to the A10 7870K:

http://www.clubedohardware.com.br/artigos/teste-dos-processadores-a10-7870k-vs-core-i3-6100/3192/8

The HD530 IGP is still much slower overall.

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
They are the only review really showing the HD530 in such a good light,even look at the Anandtech review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9763/the-amd-a8-7670k-apu-review-rocket-league/5

An A8 IGP is much faster than the HD530. The reason the Toms Hardware results look fantastic is since they are running the DDR4 at 3200MHZ which is nearly 50% past the official spec:

http://ark.intel.com/products/88191/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

Plus look at the difference in IGP performance between the Haswell Core i7 chips and the Core i3 4330 which have the same IGP - so that means the HD530 results for the Core i7 chips are probably a best case scenario. In reality the HD530 in a Core i3 is going to be slower and unless you get an expensive motherboard,you will be limited to much slower RAM speeds.

You only look at one of the very few reviews which have actually compared the Core i3 6100 to the A10 7870K:

http://www.clubedohardware.com.br/artigos/teste-dos-processadores-a10-7870k-vs-core-i3-6100/3192/8

The HD530 IGP is still much slower overall.

In my post, which you quoted, I said the ram has a big effect, so what is your point? :)

That said, if I'm using an igp, I'm buying the fastest ram it can stand, so I think HD530 is quite competitive.

Also, there might be a lot more Skylake igp horsepower coming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_and_Iris_Graphics#Skylake

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
This FSB locked skylake overclocking has me intrigued. Is it like the old days with straps and independent bus speeds or we still limited by having to disable AHCI / working VGA port only to get good gains?

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
And there go the goalposts again.

First you said it couldn't be done. You were proven wrong, but now the goalposts get moved to price. Where will you move them to when somebody posts about a cheap board with overclocking support for i3?

Seams your blue glasses are out of focus,

With the locked multiplier, it's extremely limited. For the extra cost of the better motherboard, the money is probably better spent on just getting the unlocked i5.

We are not talking about all the boards, we are talking specifically about that particular $240 SuperMicro board that a single guy have managed to OC the Core i3 and he doesnt even say how he did it. And then ShintaiDK calls us desperate and you are talking about goalposts when the original context was about "extremely limited" and "extra cost" ?? o_O