Skylake vs A10 AMD

Teabaghead

Nov 22, 2015
i3-6300 vs 7870K

Trying to decide between the above 2 CPUs.

Have not got a PC at the moment only a terribly slow 10" netbook!

The above 2 CPUs are around about the same price. This is my budget for a CPU. I will be buying all the rest but want to work out the best CPU for the price above and then spec the rest.

I will be building the PC in an ITX Case, Antec isk600 as i was given a 2nd hand one with a modular PSU already fitted (evga 550w).

Now, i need help choosing the right CPU. I want a fast system that is capable of some gaming but to be honest that is not a priority for me as i am not interested in getting a sep Graphics card. Good bang for buck i want but also the 'better' cpu. Having a CPU that can game is a bonus.

I have already chosen other components but CPU and motherboard is in the air as is the ram as i know one uses DDR3 and the other DDR4.

So, any help? Thanks

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Core i3 6300 CPU is faster

A10-7870K iGPU is faster

What is the usage of the system and what games are you going to play ??

Teabaghead

Nov 22, 2015
Not a lot of gaming really. Maybe ETS2 or i would like to play Battlefield in the future but as for now, not much if anything. Maybe some free games from the Windows store.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Except of the games, what else are you going to do with the PC ??

Euro Track Sim 2 minimum specs talks for a GTX450, i havent played the game but Core i3 6300 iGPU may have a really hard time on this one.

Teabaghead

Nov 22, 2015
I just want the best out of the 2 i guess. The one that is more future proof. Gaming will be sporadic. I will probably end up getting a dedicated GPU next year but for now an integrated CPU will be fine.

PC will not be taxed greatly but nice to have some power there just in case!

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
The above 2 CPUs are around about the same price. This is my budget for a CPU. I will be buying all the rest but want to work out the best CPU for the price above and then spec the rest.

I will be building the PC in an ITX Case, Antec isk600 as i was given a 2nd hand one with a modular PSU already fitted (evga 550w).

Now, i need help choosing the right CPU. I want a fast system that is capable of some gaming but to be honest that is not a priority for me as i am not interested in getting a sep Graphics card. Good bang for buck i want but also the 'better' cpu. Having a CPU that can game is a bonus.
It's not generally cost-effective to reserve chunks of your budget for specific components. If you can give your total budget, where you're able to buy components from, and specifics on what you'd like your system to do, we could give you a better informed recommendation. That is to say, which specific games do you play? What specific applications will you be using?

The one that is more future proof.
There is no such thing as future proof. As several folks in GH would say: the only way to future-proof your system is to save money now and spend it in the future. There is always something new and exciting around the corner, the best you can do is choose components that meet your needs NOW and offer reasonable price/performance.

Teabaghead

Nov 22, 2015
I know. My budget for a CPU is the same as what those 2 above are priced at. I know i have to decide AMD or Intel and base my build around that. As i said i will do a 'little' gaming, maybe Euro Truck Sim 2 as i can play that on my feeble netbook which has an atom CPU!! lol

Future proofing was probably the wrong word i know. Everything is out of date as soon as it comes out!! lol

Centauri

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2002
The 7870 will make for a more capable all-around system and likely save you from needing to get a dedicated GPU anytime soon, especially if you pair it with 2133MHz or faster memory.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
There is no such thing as future proof. As several folks in GH would say: the only way to future-proof your system is to save money now and spend it in the future. There is always something new and exciting around the corner, the best you can do is choose components that meet your needs NOW and offer reasonable price/performance.

I'm not one to future proof a GPU, as it is futile, but CPU's can last a long time if you get something decent. My i7 920 lasted 7 years before needing an upgrade. CPU's progress slow enough that you sort of can plan for several years, though I guess something could throw a wrench in it all.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
So, even though the i3 is dual core it still beats the AMD quad core?

Only if a single software is used at a time, if there s several apps running concurently the i3 throughput can collapse by 60%, the remaining throughput will be the equivalent of a single core without HT.

As demonstrated by Computerbase.de this is the case for all gens of i3 and i5, so they do well in isolated benchmark but in real use these are poor performers.

No wonder that people who upgrade to i7s have the impression that it s much more powerull than its 2C/4T and 4C/4T siblings when the difference is due to the i7 throughput being much better sustained when there s several apps running.

Computerbase.de didnt test a Kaveri to my knowledge but i dont think that it would produce results as disastrous as the i3 thanks to its four cores.

Teabaghead

Nov 22, 2015
Only if a single software is used at a time, if there s several apps running concurently the i3 throughput can collapse by 60%, the remaining throughput will be the equivalent of a single core without HT.

As demonstrated by Computerbase.de this is the case for all gens of i3 and i5, so they do well in isolated benchmark but in real use these are poor performers.

No wonder that people who upgrade to i7s have the impression that it s much more powerull than its 2C/4T and 4C/4T siblings when the difference is due to the i7 throughput being much better sustained when there s several apps running.

Computerbase.de didnt test a Kaveri to my knowledge but i dont think that it would produce results as disastrous as the i3 thanks to its four cores.

Interesting. Never thought of that

A friend of mine has an A8-7600 and he thinks it is brilliant!

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Core i3-6100 is the better choice. Also don't invest in a dead AMD socket, LGA1151 already supports DDR4, allows you to upgrade to a Core i5/i7 and will receive a new generation of chips next year.

Last edited:

Shehriazad

Nov 3, 2014
with the iGPU of the Intel CPU your experience is not going to be great...that much is clear.

It does have superior CPU performance but games that run "heavily treadded" might stutter a bit...you do not sound like a core gamer demographic, though.

Furthermore, the AMD APU is a dead end. You will not be able to purchase an upgrade for this...ever. Sure, a 7890K is supposed to come out, but you might as well just raise the clocks by this much and have the same results.

For Intel on the other hand...you will have many upgrade options down the line.

Plus if you combine it with a cheap GPU later (GTX 750? R7 260/360 or something?) you will certainly have a very solid entry level rig.

In this case I really have to give it to Intel. And this comes from a guy that usually only uses AMD CPUs for his own rigs.

Though I have to ask...do you not feel like going with an "older gen" of Intel? If you look around a bit you might be able to find some VERY cheap i3/i5 intel CPUs of the 4000 line. There are a bunch of very good deals floating around for "last gen" right now...and honestly speaking...those CPUs are still good for a few YEARS (at least if you get a quad core).

Last edited:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Since you are new here and asking advice, be aware there are some here that have an agenda. If someone is making "corner cases" for a specific recommendation you should check their posting history to make sure they have your best interests in mind.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Why is the 6100 a better choice?

Much faster CPU, good enough iGPU for casual games, better upgrade path. No upgrade path in the AMD platform, there's a new socket launching next year with DDR4 support, you will be left behind.

Teabaghead

Nov 22, 2015
Thanks people.

Very confused now! lol

I cannot afford an i5 so its either the AMD or the i3. If i cannot afford a dedicated GPU early next year am i going to be disappointed in an i3?

Teabaghead

Nov 22, 2015
Much faster CPU, good enough iGPU for casual games, better upgrade path. No upgrade path in the AMD platform, there's a new socket launching next year with DDR4 support, you will be left behind.

I was asking why is the 6100 better than the 6300?