Skylake vs A10 AMD

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Yes. The A10 is dead end.

No reason to buy obsolete slow technology. With the i3 you got an upgrade path if needed and better platform. Plus its 51W vs 95W on top.

Lol...

ST perf can collapse as well by 59% if a single app use the two cores and that another app need just one thread, as said these are extremely poor multitaskers.

Indeed only Computerbase.de made such tests, and yet it makes no doubt that a lot of reviewer did private tests.

I guess that the results they got explain why no english written site publish such tests, this would expose those CPUS for what they are, that is, poor products that are designed to make sure that the buyers will soon need an upgrade with an i7...

Teabaghead

Nov 22, 2015
Lol...

ST perf can collapse as well by 59% if a single app use the two cores and that another app need just one thread, as said these are extremely poor multitaskers.

Indeed only Computerbase.de made such tests, and yet it makes no doubt that a lot of reviewer did private tests.

I guess that the results they got explain why no english written site publish such tests, this would expose those CPUS for what they are, that is, poor products that are designed to make sure that the buyers will soon need an upgrade with an i7...

Evidence to back up your claim?

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
To illustrate how superior the Core i3 is, here's some actual tests:

3dmax.png

autocad.png

catia.png

mediacoder.png

You want a long lasting chip, right? These chips can easily keep up with AMD's hexa-core chips in multi-threading and demolish the competition in ST tasks.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011

http://www.computerbase.de/2015-08/...m-multitasking-test-winrar-plus-the-witcher-3

53% lower ST perf in the Winrar + Cinebench ST test, and that s with a i5 SKL.

Winrar is core count aware so it use only 4 threads in this test, with Cinebench a 5th thread is added.

If you re money constrained and if you pick an AMD there s the A8-7670K that is cheaper and provide 90% of the graphic performance, since it s unlocked you can even get it at 3.7GHz up from its stock 3.6GHz.

Also all the GPU tests in reviews are made on minimaly loaded systems with no apps running other than the game, if wifi is open, firewall and antivirus activated and a few tabs open the GPU perfS will be significantly lower with the i3, for Kaveri i dont know but i suppose that it s HSA implementation allow to use the GPU without entailing too much the perfs in the conditions i mentioned.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
if wifi is open, firewall and antivirus activated and a few tabs open the GPU perfS will be significantly lower with the i3, for Kaveri i dont know

If you don't know, then what is the point of speculating like this?

I know that Kaveri throttles the CPU under a combined CPU + GPU load. Someone mentioned using PhenomMSRTweak to get around it in Windows.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
If you don't know, then what is the point of speculating like this?

I said i suppose and i pointed why i suppose, i mentioned HSA...

I know that Kaveri throttles the CPU under a combined CPU + GPU load. Someone mentioned using PhenomMSRTweak to get around it in Windows.

Indeed as you dont need the full CPU frequency to fully load the GPU, notice that Intel s chip are also throtlled in CPU + GPU.

AMD throttle the CPU while Intel throttled the GPU in previous gens, i think that they finaly adopted AMD s approach for their latest products by throttling the CPU rather than the GPU.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009

When you ask him for evidence, you might want to consider the below.

I saw good resolutions pics of the so called lunar module, heck, that s quite a piece of garbage with badly jointed metalic and litteraly hammered plates, seriously, you think that this piece of metalic junk actualy landed on the moon..??

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Did you read the OP?

He don't need 8 threads .
I have yet to find something my cpu does poorly. I have 4 threads.
The OP is likely to keep system for a long time. Right now, he's buying the price tag, not the product. An Intel/AMD marketing trap. You can't recommend 2C/4T cpus for 3+ years with gaming in mind. If it was an office PC, different story. He will likely multi-task too, 2C/4T would just be on the edge of barely acceptable. Not exactly the way to go in 2015/2016.

Let's revisit this thread in 2-3 years, shall we?

Anyway, this is just my opinion. The OP is free to buy whatever he/she wants.

Last edited:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
The OP is likely to keep system for a long time. Right now, he's buying the price tag, not the product. An Intel/AMD marketing trap. You can't recommend 2C/4T cpus for 3+ years with gaming in mind. If it was an office PC, different story. He will likely multi-task too, 2C/4T would just be on the edge of barely acceptable. Not exactly the way to go in 2015/2016.

Let's revisit this thread in 2-3 years, shall we?
maybe see below...:whiste:

Not a lot of gaming really. Maybe ETS2 or i would like to play Battlefield in the future but as for now, not much if anything. Maybe some free games from the Windows store.

a modern i3 is just fine for his needs...

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
maybe see below...:whiste:

a modern i3 is just fine for his needs...
It may be fine for his needs right now, but if he's going to keep it for a long time, he might regret it later.

All it takes, a few bright developers to mess up everyday software and hey.. my cpu doesn't cut it anymore. It will happen.

The used market is the way to go, that's what I'd do. The point is, you need to hunt down good products, not the price tags. Price means nothing when it's paid....What's left is you either gonna love it or hate it. And regret it, if you made the wrong choice. Been there, done that.

It's not that we are trying to offer him 5960X class CPU anyway. Next year we will see even more cores... 2C/4T is going to fall behind fast. So maybe, it's best to save more money and wait for better deals on "mid-range" 4C/8T CPUs instead.

Just wanted my point to get across. An extra opinion will do no harm here.

Last edited:

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
Indeed as you dont need the full CPU frequency to fully load the GPU, notice that Intel s chip are also throtlled in CPU + GPU.

AMD throttle the CPU while Intel throttled the GPU in previous gens, i think that they finaly adopted AMD s approach for their latest products by throttling the CPU rather than the GPU.

On my 4300u(work laptop) i had to use throttlestop to change this behaviour and get even 1/2 playable frame rates in diablo3.

Remember what I said about people with an agenda choosing corner cases to obscure the truth?

my experience is ulv haswell performs no were near what benchmarks report as inevitably throttling kicks in. I don't know how the newer intel GPu's compare thou.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
I just want the best out of the 2 i guess. The one that is more future proof. Gaming will be sporadic. I will probably end up getting a dedicated GPU next year but for now an integrated CPU will be fine.

PC will not be taxed greatly but nice to have some power there just in case!

Still haven't unanswered my question, except of games, what other applications are you going to use with that PC ??

And what kind of GPU are you thinking of buying next year ??? $100, $200, $300 or higher ??

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Remember what I said about people with an agenda choosing corner cases to obscure the truth?

That s indeed a corner case as using less than this is quite rare, that s 5 threads and two apps, so i would call this an extremely favourable (for Intel) corner case..

What thoses tests show is that the i3/i5s can eventualy handle a lot of threads only if a single software is used, the perf collapsing is due to loading the CPU with more than one application.

With two it s already a disaster, and a PC run several apps at the same time, if there s a brutal throughput requirement from one of the app the thing will lag terribly, that s not difficult to predict as the source of the problem is clearly identified, i.e, unability to sustain the throughput, even with only two apps...

Shehriazad

Nov 3, 2014
Waw! Is it really slow? I thought 3.9 and Quad core would be fast?

The CPU side is really sufficient to play any modern game. A bunch of high end titles will obviously demand that you shut off higher end features.

And by no means is it a "terrible" chip...but the per-core performance is a bit low.

It can only trade blows with some i3s but in many cases will end up below it. But then again you will not succumb to weird stuttering as much and the iGPU is definitely a lot better.

If you can't afford a real GPU then I have to change my statement and really recommend the A10...but only if you are unwilling to search for a used CPU.

I'm pretty sure you can get some very strong and good used hardware if you are willing to take that "gamble".

Your situation is just tricky. i3 has better CPU performance but you will possibly end up with stuttering...the iGPU is terrible.
A10 has mediocre CPU performance but enough to play every modern title...and the iGPU is just far superior...but you're buying into a "dead" socket.

Basically the A10 will be able to play many modern titles on medium to low (depending on resolution as well) where the i3 will fail due to its' iGPU...don't get me wrong, it improved a lot...but you're not going to be happy with it if you plan on ever playing anything other than your Truck Simulator game.

Last edited:

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
No. The i3 6100 will be faster than the Haswell in this compare:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1497?vs=1197

As said, its not even a competition. Pick the i3.

For gaming with a discrete GPU. The 7870K collapses completely compared to the i3.

I don't see anywhere in there where it says "multitasking"
I suppose that everyone will be doing single threaded particle movement... /sarcasm

There are barely reviews or benchmarks of the two on multitasking scenarios, and the little existent has always been proven as non representative. You have never used both, so you cannot prove it for sure. So get proof, real specific proof, even if you have to run your own benchmarks of both or just accept that you don't have it and stop regurgitating the same info over and over that sidelines a very specific point I made.

OP,
I proposed the A10-7850K as the difference in performance between it and the A10-7870K is minimal, but the difference in cost already gets you halfway there to a decent 120GB SSD.
I have had the chance to work with both CPUs, an A10-7850K and an i3 (Haswell) Very few people here can make that claim firsthand. I was quite curious, in fact, excited to see what the i3 could do after reading all that the fanboys write. I was unimpressed with the i3, and the best way to describe the experience would be "temperamental". The A10 always felt smoother. Keep a bunch of browser tabs open, see which one tanks first. And that is not a far fetched scenario of common usage; you are more likely to have facebook, instagram, youtube and a bunch of other things running at the same time, rather than doing single threaded particle movement...

So, the i3 didn't convince me as "the pure awesomeness savior of the CPU world" that many fanboys try to parrot. It didn't felt faster than the A10-7850K, in fact, it felt choppier, but then, even my humble HP Probook 6475b (A10-4600M "trinity" with SSD) has always been described as "faster" than my work machine (Dell Precision M4800, i7 with SSd also) by people who have used both. spreadsheets? open equally fast. PDF annotations? user input is the limiting factor. Folder open equally fast in the HP, and it boots and shutdowns faster.

OP,
My point here is that from your current setup any moder CPU will be a leap forward, and while one might be better than the other, it is not the "very good vs very bad" situation that some are trying to paint. There are benchmarks, but I have always argued that benchmarks are like car loans, you better read the fine print to understand how those numbers were generated and what they really mean. Maybe that 0.39% interest is per month... The number by PClabs.pl, in either cpu or gpu are always different from the norm, and settings are always vague.

The "better upgrade path" on the blue side is also a myth. Try putting a skylake in a LGA1155 board. Heck, try it on a LGA1150 board, a more modern one, see how much compatibility you got. Beside, most of the times you will be changing motherboard and processor at the same time.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
i3-6300 vs 7870K

Trying to decide between the above 2 CPUs.

Have not got a PC at the moment only a terribly slow 10" netbook!

The above 2 CPUs are around about the same price. This is my budget for a CPU. I will be buying all the rest but want to work out the best CPU for the price above and then spec the rest.

I will be building the PC in an ITX Case, Antec isk600 as i was given a 2nd hand one with a modular PSU already fitted (evga 550w).

Now, i need help choosing the right CPU. I want a fast system that is capable of some gaming but to be honest that is not a priority for me as i am not interested in getting a sep Graphics card. Good bang for buck i want but also the 'better' cpu. Having a CPU that can game is a bonus.

I have already chosen other components but CPU and motherboard is in the air as is the ram as i know one uses DDR3 and the other DDR4.

So, any help? Thanks
Screw both. Go to an i5 Haswell. Far better for the moment. No Skylake i3 can defeat the i5 Haswell.

fourdegrees11

Mar 9, 2009
i3-6300 vs 7870K

Trying to decide between the above 2 CPUs.

Have not got a PC at the moment only a terribly slow 10" netbook!

The above 2 CPUs are around about the same price. This is my budget for a CPU. I will be buying all the rest but want to work out the best CPU for the price above and then spec the rest.

I will be building the PC in an ITX Case, Antec isk600 as i was given a 2nd hand one with a modular PSU already fitted (evga 550w).

Now, i need help choosing the right CPU. I want a fast system that is capable of some gaming but to be honest that is not a priority for me as i am not interested in getting a sep Graphics card. Good bang for buck i want but also the 'better' cpu. Having a CPU that can game is a bonus.

I have already chosen other components but CPU and motherboard is in the air as is the ram as i know one uses DDR3 and the other DDR4.

So, any help? Thanks

I dont think you're looking at this right. If you factored in MB and RAM prices you could get an 860K and 750ti or 260x for about the same price as the i3 6300 build

860k - $69
ASRock FM2A68M-DG3+ - $45
8gb DDR3 - $32
2gb 750ti/260x - $110 (about)
$256

vs

6300 - $157
Gigabyte GA-H110M-A - $55
8gb DDR4 - $40
$252

There's really no reason to go with an APU right now.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
There's really no reason to go with an APU right now.

Basically. Poor CPU compared to AMD's own FX and Skylake Core i3s, zero upgrade path (prepare to throw away your motherboard and memory kits if you ever plan to upgrade the CPU) and the fact that some cheap dGPUs smoke Kaveri's iGPU.