Skylake vs A10 AMD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Thanks people.

Very confused now! lol

I cannot afford an i5 so its either the AMD or the i3. If i cannot afford a dedicated GPU early next year am i going to be disappointed in an i3?

How long do you plan to use this CPU setup?

Aug 11, 2008
The i3 has far faster single threaded cpu performance and equal or somewhat better multithreaded cpu performance in most tasks. I would pick it for general use or for gaming with a dedicated gpu.

The only reason I would pick the A10 is to game on the igpu. It will be better than the i3, although intel has improved their igpus a lot lately. The problem with gaming on any igpu is that it is not really adequate in modern, demanding games except at lower resolutions and image quality settings. And if you decide later to add a dgpu, you are negating the best part of the A10, the igpu.

Coming from a netbook though, I am sure you would be satisfied with either cpu.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
The A10 is a better multitasker.
Get the A10.
Pair it with DDR3-2133 or 2400 (almost the same price as DDR-1600 right now) and an SSD and you got a mahcine that will feel fast and smooth.
I wouldn't pick the A10-7870K, I would pick the A10-7850K instead.

Teabaghead

Nov 22, 2015
The A10 is a better multitasker.
Get the A10.
Pair it with DDR3-2133 or 2400 (almost the same price as DDR-1600 right now) and an SSD and you got a mahcine that will feel fast and smooth.
I wouldn't pick the A10-7870K, I would pick the A10-7850K instead.

The 7870K is superior though?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Plus, what if i cannot get a dedicated GPU for several months, you would still advise the i3 over the A10?

Yes. The A10 is dead end.

No reason to buy obsolete slow technology. With the i3 you got an upgrade path if needed and better platform. Plus its 51W vs 95W on top.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
I was asking why is the 6100 better than the 6300?

because it's cheaper and the performance difference will be almost impossible to notice, cheapest i3 is normally the one to buy.

also, if you are going to use the IGP consider memory, are you going to run fast dual channel ram? and will the Skylake memory limitation add to the cost (DDR4 or DDR3L)? what about the motherboards? can you get a cheaper one with which CPU?

if you are going to do any gaming I would consider a Celeron + gtx 750 or something.

Teabaghead

Nov 22, 2015
because it's cheaper and the performance difference will be almost impossible to notice, cheapest i3 is normally the one to buy.

also, if you are going to use the IGP consider memory, are you going to run fast dual channel ram? and will the Skylake memory limitation add to the cost (DDR4 or DDR3L)? what about the motherboards? can you get a cheaper one with which CPU?

if you are going to do any gaming I would consider a Celeron + gtx 750 or something.

Fast ram is needed by the AMD and the Skylake

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Its very simple.
For all except gaming subjective perf will be the same. A ssd is what matters for everyday performance.
If you want to do some casual gaming now go amd. Its far better here especially the drivers.
If you want to upgrade with eg 960 or the like in 2 months go Intel. But then you might as well get better system now.
If power usage is not a concern your usecase is perfect for the amd solution because its good for light casual gaming.
If this is not an apu situation i dont know what can be then.
At least we dont hear the usual i5 4 core stuff. Recommended for everyone.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Fast ram is needed by the AMD and the Skylake

FM2+ can run more common DDR3 1.5v without being out of the official specs.

if you use discrete graphics like a 750 you can ignore the difference and go with the cheapest possible ram without a significant penalty to game performance (considering we are not talking about fast VGAs and CPUs anyway) while using the IGP the impact on performance is very direct, obvious...

and IGPs are to slow for gaming, a 750 destroys even Iris Pro, no hope for the other IGPs.

Last edited:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Much faster CPU, good enough iGPU for casual games, better upgrade path. No upgrade path in the AMD platform, there's a new socket launching next year with DDR4 support, you will be left behind.

Blue ..........the reason I bought a i3 6100
red ....reason I didn't buy AMD

Last edited:

Teabaghead

Nov 22, 2015
i5 is out of my budget.

I not had a dedicated gpu for years!

I have an SSD ready to use in the build.

Teabaghead

Nov 22, 2015
FM2+ can run more common DDR3 1.5v without being out of the official specs.

if you use discrete graphics like a 750 you can ignore the difference and go with the cheapest possible ram without a significant penalty to game performance (considering we are not talking about fast VGAs and CPUs anyway) while using the IGP the impact on performance is very direct, obvious...

and IGPs are to slow for gaming, a 750 destroys even Iris Pro, not hope for the other IGPs.

IGPs are not too slow for gaming! Check out some of the youtube reviews!