Skylake vs A10 AMD

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Yeah, as if Intel didn't quickly move to block G3258 overclocking on non-enthusiast motherboards. It really isn't a big deal, though. For once I agree with Shintai,
the number of people who actually overclock is a infinitely small amount of buyers.

And there go the goalposts agian. Absolutely predictable. AtenRa is up next.

Back on topic:

A Skylake i3 now completely obliterates any A10 from AMD. Hell, they're faster than AMD's HEDT platform while using at least 100w less power.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
And there go the goalposts agian. Absolutely predictable. AtenRa is up next.

Back on topic:

A Skylake i3 now completely obliterates any A10 from AMD. Hell, they're faster than AMD's HEDT platform while using at least 100w less power.

You have to assume Intel will block the i3 OC ASAP.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Doubtful Intel gives a crap. The board makers wouldn't risk Intel's wrath if they thought it would be a problem with Intel. When your existence depends upon Intel cooperating with you, you don't do something they don't approve of.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
A Skylake i3 now completely obliterates any A10 from AMD.

Not really, since you can't bclk overclock and use the HD530 at the same time. Sad really. It was so close to greatness.

But, it'll make people think twice about the 860k and successors. All you really get with the 860k is about $30-$40 in savings.

MiddleOfTheRoad

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2014
I'm not sure they'd care. It's not like they are unlocking the multiplier.

Yeah, right.... If they didn't care then they wouldn't have forced the budget motherboards to stop supporting G3258 overclocking. Anything that eats into the profit margins on the K chips -- they care a lot about.

MiddleOfTheRoad

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2014
Not really, since you can't bclk overclock and use the HD530 at the same time. Sad really. It was so close to greatness.

But, it'll make people think twice about the 860k and successors. All you really get with the 860k is about $30-$40 in savings.

It's more than that -- at least if you buy from Micro Center. Buy an 860k and they still give you a free Gigabyte motherboard (currently costs $4.99 before the $4.99 mail in rebate when you bundle).
The 860k sells out all the time for them, though. The A6 / A10 seem to be the slow sellers (always plenty in stock). Buying an 860k (when they aren't sold out) with a motherboard (the bundle
priced at $69) from Micro Center is about half the cost of a boxed Skylake i3 ($129 without a motherboard). The cheapest bundled motherboard for Skylakes from Micro Center adds another $69.
$200 vs $69.

Kinda hard to complain about the 860k even for the haters at those prices.

Yeah, the i3 is faster -- but not by a lot. It's more of a sidegrade if you are already running an 860k. Passmark says it all..... i3 6300 versus 860K = 5894 versus 5607.
Nothing to call home about. Still rather have a black edition versus the locked multiplier.

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
You overestimate overclocking :p

Actually, you read something into my comment that was not there. But if overclocking is such a tiny minority, Intel should have little reason to intervene. There is no issue with counterfeiting anymore, since The OS will these days correctly report the CPU model regardless of set speed.

Dufus

Sep 20, 2010
I agree with ShintaiDK, not so much interest in OC'ing these days and most OC'ers will probably stick with the unlocked multipliers.

Mar 10, 2006
Doubtful Intel gives a crap. The board makers wouldn't risk Intel's wrath if they thought it would be a problem with Intel. When your existence depends upon Intel cooperating with you, you don't do something they don't approve of.

I agree. Also, I doubt that OEMs will want to muck around with BCLK overclocking for pre-overclocked systems. They will stick to "K" series chips.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
It's more than that -- at least if you buy from Micro Center. Buy an 860k and they still give you a free Gigabyte motherboard (currently costs $4.99 before the $4.99 mail in rebate when you bundle).
The 860k sells out all the time for them, though. The A6 / A10 seem to be the slow sellers (always plenty in stock). Buying an 860k (when they aren't sold out) with a motherboard (priced at $69)
from Micro Center is about half the cost of a boxed Skylake i3 ($129 without a motherboard). The cheapest bundled motherboard for Skylakes from them adds another $69.

Irrelevant. Most buyers are nowhere near a Microcentre. i3 vs A10 alone no discounts around the world, if you were to choose the i3 makes the most sense. Any APU is too much of a compromise.

MiddleOfTheRoad

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2014

No it doesn't. You can't run the iGPU when you bclk overclock the i3. The fully unlocked A10 can be tuned all you want as long as you can keep it cool.

So nope, try again. Because people who buy the A10 are likely doing it for the integrated graphics.

Last edited:

MiddleOfTheRoad

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2014
Irrelevant. Most buyers are nowhere near a Microcentre. i3 vs A10 alone no discounts around the world, if you were to choose the i3 makes the most sense. Any APU is too much of a compromise.

Yeah, New York City, Boston, Baltimore, Houston, Philadelphia, Dallas, Atlanta and Cincinnati are all small towns with almost no residents.

Although I do agree with you about the Micro Center located in Detroit since no one lives there anymore :)

Last edited:

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Yeah, New York City, Boston, Baltimore, Houston, Philadelphia, Dallas, Atlanta and Cincinnati are all small towns with almost no residents.

Although I do agree with you about the Micro Center located in Detroit since no one lives there anymore :)

Do you think most people in the country, much less the world are located in those cities? There really aren't many of those around. If you have to drive long distance to the store, you'll pay more in gas than any savings you get.

We don't have one anywhere near here, but Fry's sometimes has good deals too, which we do have.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Microcenter prices should be considered an outlier, all they do is screw up our discussion of price/performance.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
No it doesn't. You can't run the iGPU when you bclk overclock the i3. The fully unlocked A10 can be tuned all you want as long as you can keep it cool.

A person can't run the A10 CPU at full speed either when the iGPU is in use.

Reason: throttling of the A10's CPU (this will happen regardless of heatsink) from 4 Ghz turbo to 3 Ghz:

Same thing occurs with an overclocked A10. If at 4.5 Ghz via unlocked multiplier it will still throttle to 3 Ghz.

The only way to get around this is to use AMDMrsTweaker (which is very difficult to use) or to use Linux (according to one person here in the forum).

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
A person can't run the A10 CPU at full speed either when the iGPU is in use.

You just couldn't help yourself, could you?

bclk-overclocked i3s will be a blast, and everyone knows it. It's just a shame the drivers disable the iGPU, that's all. Coulda been a nice alternative to AMD APUs for those that don't need the power of GCN but want a little more oomph from the x86 side.

i5-6400 is also looking interesting . . .

Teabaghead

Nov 22, 2015
i3-6100 guys. Thats what i just bought. In process of putting together in the next few days. Got 8gb DDR4 2133 Ram too 2 x 4GB.

Looking for a Cheap but capable GPU next!

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
i3-6100 guys. Thats what i just bought. In process of putting together in the next few days. Got 8gb DDR4 2133 Ram too 2 x 4GB.

Looking for a Cheap but capable GPU next!

What is your price range for the GPU?

This one right here is priced like integrated graphics, but is much much faster:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2457087

Your ISK 600 should work as the enclosure and you have a EVGA 550W PSU so you should be good to go. The major thing is the driver stop being optimized last month. In fact, there is a thread on VLIW4 here. (A10-6800K and HD6950 both use VLIW4)

Another really good option would be this Video card:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2455804

(It's GCN, so the drivers are still getting tuning....and its faster than the HD6950).

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
The 860k sells out all the time for them, though. The A6 / A10 seem to be the slow sellers (always plenty in stock). Buying an 860k (when they aren't sold out) with a motherboard (the bundle
priced at $69) from Micro Center is about half the cost of a boxed Skylake i3 ($129 without a motherboard). The cheapest bundled motherboard for Skylakes from Micro Center adds another $69.
$200 vs $69.

Yeah, the i3 is faster -- but not by a lot. It's more of a sidegrade if you are already running an 860k. Passmark says it all..... i3 6300 versus 860K = 5894 versus 5607.
Nothing to call home about. Still rather have a black edition versus the locked multiplier.

I have to call you out on your BS. Micro Center has never carried the 860k so I have no idea what you are talking about.
In fact, all your numbers are wrong, and/or don't make sense.

AMD bundles are here, and only include full APUs, not Athlons: http://www.microcenter.com/site/products/amd_bundles.aspx

Intel bundles are here, no Skylake i3 bundles yet, and they don't carry any Skylake i3 cpus at all yet:
http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

I live by Chicago, and there are two Micro Center stores here. Trust me, I know them and their stock pretty well.

Oh, and Passmark is a terrible way to judge performance.

Read the i3 skylake reviews:

http://www.techspot.com/review/1087-best-value-desktop-cpu/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-intel-core-i3-6100-review