Sen. Lugar defeated in IN primary

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
as much as I like Lugar's politics, I understand why he was voted out.

he's an 80 year-old guy who's served damn near half his entire life in the same Senate seat... I'm pro-term limits, whether legally or through the ballot box.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
It's not so much luck as a reflection of the utter worthlessness of the people who comprise OWS. I have no love for the Teahadists but at least a lot of them actually get up and go to work in the morning. Most OWS types are pieces of shit who sit around and smoke pot while spouting vague, meaningless anti-capitalist rhetoric.

OWS is a youth movement. Tea party is a movement for over 50's a retired people. Have you looked up the rate of unemployment in the younger bracket? It's been double the national rate since 2001, and the national rate went way up in 2008. Has it occurred to you that this isn't a bunch of protestors who don't have jobs, but rather so much a bunch of people who are protesting *because* they don't have jobs? Not a huge fan of OWS myself, but I think this has to be considered.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
OWS is a youth movement. Tea party is a movement for over 50's a retired people. Have you looked up the rate of unemployment in the younger bracket? It's been double the national rate since 2001, and the national rate went way up in 2008. Has it occurred to you that this isn't a bunch of protestors who don't have jobs, but rather so much a bunch of people who are protesting *because* they don't have jobs? Not a huge fan of OWS myself, but I think this has to be considered.

LOL! You still holding onto that "tea part is just old bitter people". Well they just kicked out a long standing senator by an overwhelming margin.

I thought the tea party was irrelevant and not involved anymore? I TOLD you we're working and paying taxes, but we'll show up in droves on election days. "I have to work" is no longer an excuse to not vote and tax payers are fully awake and paying attention.

Feb 6, 2007
LOL! You still holding onto that "tea part is just old bitter people". Well they just kicked out a long standing senator by an overwhelming margin.

I thought the tea party was irrelevant and not involved anymore? I TOLD you we're working and paying taxes, but we'll show up in droves on election days. "I have to work" is no longer an excuse to not vote and tax payers are fully awake and paying attention.
Well that explains why Tea Party darling Mitt Romney is doing so well in the primaries.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

Do you plan on washing your hands before, or after the election?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Do you plan to do everything you can to derail a thread every time spidey posts ?

Spidey derails every thread he's in. It's not like responding to him rationally gets any better results, the guy is clearly mentally ill.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
gee someone gets awful buttsore when spidey gets called out... must be on the same wheelchair basketball team...

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Spidey derails every thread he's in. It's not like responding to him rationally gets any better results, the guy is clearly mentally ill.

Which is probably the most vicious personal attack you can make about another poster.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Which is probably the most vicious personal attack you can make about another poster.

It's not vicious and it's not a personal attack. It is what I believe to be an accurate description of reality as I've seen from probably thousands of his posts. I genuinely believe it is highly likely that he has an undiagnosed mental disorder.

He might just be trolling or playing a character on here, but if he actually believes what he writes he's got some pretty serious problems.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005

No, I think the tea party is a bunch of bitter old people who are "involved." The question is whether that involvement helps or hurts the GOP. We'll see.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Thread is full of personal attacks. derailed

chicken-dance-ringtone-11-2.jpg

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Just more proof that the TP movement is a far right movement and not a centrist/moderate movement.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

:D

I'm frankly surprised. While Lugar is too liberal for me on many issues, it's difficult to defeat any sitting Senator unless he's a freshman from an atypical year, let alone in the primary. And while I don't know anything about Mourdock, it's easy for the media to paint any new Republican Senatorial candidate as a nutter simply because the vast majority of what most voters know about a first-term candidate comes directly from the media. (This is true of Representative candidates too, but there are simply too many of those for the media to bash without losing any remaining dregs of integrity.) Unless this Mourdock is well known (and liked) in Indiana or is ethically Caesar's wife, he is probably going to be in trouble.

Lugar may vote with the Dems virtually every time after the initial caucus, but the Republicans may well miss that first vote after November. Indiana's not exactly pure red, and sometimes when you cut off your nose to spite your face you come to regret it. For the rest of us - looks like blessed gridlock just got a boost.

Pneumothorax

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2002
No, I think the tea party is a bunch of bitter old people who are "involved." The question is whether that involvement helps or hurts the GOP. We'll see.

Most of my tea party buddies and I are hard-working professionals in our mid to late 30's. I guess for some that would be 'old'

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
as much as I like Lugar's politics, I understand why he was voted out.

he's an 80 year-old guy who's served damn near half his entire life in the same Senate seat... I'm pro-term limits, whether legally or through the ballot box.

I also think Lugar took for granted that he would win the primary. Inside accounts state that he and his campaign didn't take the threat seriously until it was too late. Lugar has won and won big for so long that I think he forgot how to run a campaign.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Most of my tea party buddies and I are hard-working professionals in our mid to late 30's. I guess for some that would be 'old'

Polls pretty consistently show that self described Tea Party members skew considerably older than the average American.