Discussion Ryzen 3000 series benchmark thread ** Open **

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
So for the rest of us who don't care about the idle power savings and want a 1ms polling rate, we are now screwed cause people were complaining about a software layered observing app?
for the "Ryzen Balanced" profile
I don't think that is true, the 15ms is only when it wakes up not when you are busy using it, then it's is still 1ms.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
The binning here is crystal clear:

rcj824srl9e31.jpg

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I would consider the 3900X one 3600X and one 3600 combined, worst case, and two 3600X combined best case.

Makes me wonder which dice AMD will use for the 3950X. If it's two 3800x dice . . . look out.

edit: also, I tried my hand at AIDA64's FPU stress test. @ 1.3v + Medium LLC, my chip will do 4400 @ 72C. 4050 is a non-starter. I have no desire to push higher than that at this time. The voltage setting is, according to CPU-z, accurate, though I haven't done multimeter tests to see if I'm still getting significant vdroop with Medium LLC. It's possible that I am (HWiNFO64 says so).

Last edited:
Reactions: lightmanek

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
Is the issue with the Windows Timer Resolution, Windows CPU Power configuration, or "Chipset Drivers" according to this article? Chipset Drivers to me has always meant the motherboard drivers for things like the NB, SB, etc. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/new-amd-chipset-driver-performance-test-ryzen-9-3900x/

The chipset driver changes the AMD balanced profile to poll every 15ms, reducing the higher voltage and temps my 3700x were getting with minimal stuff going on (and monitoring software hitting the cpu every 1ms). The high performance still does 1ms so if you use that you haven't lost any performance.

Nov 26, 2005
The chipset driver changes the AMD balanced profile to poll every 15ms, reducing the higher voltage and temps my 3700x were getting with minimal stuff going on (and monitoring software hitting the cpu every 1ms). The high performance still does 1ms so if you use that you haven't lost any performance.

That's basically what the default Balanced profile does for Intel Chips. My old i7 970 & Windows 10.

So AMD made a Processor Power Management change via the Power plan through their AMD Chipset drivers for Ryzen 3? Is there that big a latency with dual ccx chips or whatever they are called, ?

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
That's basically what the default Balanced profile does for Intel Chips. My old i7 970 & Windows 10.

So AMD made a Processor Power Management change via the Power plan through their AMD Chipset drivers for Ryzen 3? Is there that big a latency with dual ccx chips or whatever they are called, ?

I don't think it was an issue with latency off the ccx's. the CPU's are designed to change voltage way faster than Intel CPU's and quickly boost to a high voltage/clock to provide snappy performance. The issue is some software was causing this behaviour to constantly happen needlessly. The AMD solution was to change the polling to 15ms. I don't think most of us will notice any difference. I am far from an expert though and am just going off the little info brochure AMD released a few days ago. I would link it but can't find it at the moment.

Nov 26, 2005
I don't think it was an issue with latency off the ccx's. the CPU's are designed to change voltage way faster than Intel CPU's and quickly boost to a high voltage/clock to provide snappy performance. The issue is some software was causing this behaviour to constantly happen needlessly. The AMD solution was to change the polling to 15ms. I don't think most of us will notice any difference. I am far from an expert though and am just going off the little info brochure AMD released a few days ago. I would link it but can't find it at the moment.

I think I seen the PDF around here somewhere explaining some things about the chipset drivers, or it might of been on the Overclock forums.

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
The binning here is crystal clear:

rcj824srl9e31.jpg
We are talking about +0.3GHz (less than 10%) difference between their best and worst dies.
If we assume in best case this is their bottom half of silicon quality then the best is +0.6GHz, still not really 5GHz.
I think the wrong assumption of 5GHz is that it's only valid for the same Zen die design and since Zen2 is bigger with faster IF you obviously cannot just expect the same clock gain. (ask intel with Sunny Cove)
On top of that we don't get any power gain of the I/O die circuits even if that wouldn't make that much difference on 7nm.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

tl;dw - You can get a bit of a boost manually tweaking RAM timings compared to XMP settings. A couple games showed the biggest improvement.

e.g. Far Cry New Dawn

1565188240762.png

Reactions: IEC and lightmanek

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004

tl;dw - You can get a bit of a boost manually tweaking RAM timings compared to XMP settings. A couple games showed the biggest improvement.

e.g. Far Cry New Dawn

View attachment 9315

:openmouth: Those are some impressive gains! I wonder if Intel gets a similar boost with tweaked sub-timings? IIRC, when a review site tested Gen 1 Ryzen and Coffeelake with XMP and optimized sub-timings, Intel saw increased performance but not as much as AMD got.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Shoot I've been tweaking subtimings since 2009! Only issue I'm having on my 3900x is that if you get too close to the razor's edge, sometimes you lose performance which is really weird.

Last edited:

thigobr

Sep 4, 2016
I see the same behavior with 1st gen Ryzen and B-Die memory... Albeit stable some tight timing combinations actually regress in performance.

That's why tuning is time consuming: you need to test more than Aida64 to get the real performance impact and that's for each small change...

Reactions: lightmanek

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I see the same behavior with 1st gen Ryzen and B-Die memory... Albeit stable some tight timing combinations actually regress in performance.

My 1800x would just crash if I tightened the wrong timings or pushed for too much clockspeed. My 3900x will usually do that, but sometimes not so much. And performance regression isn't uniform. Something that runs "just fine" in y-cruncher might lead to regression in CBR20 (oddly enough).

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
Two day ago, in old arcticle(clean Intel script) there was no Ryzen 3000 CPU models listed.Now in this sloppy fixed Article, hm there is no Ryzen 5 3600 because R5 3600X is much beeter gaming CPU.

Recommendation of the day, read old comments at the end of the article.

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-cpu-for-gaming/

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Two day ago, in old arcticle(clean Intel script) there was no Ryzen 3000 CPU models listed.Now in this sloppy fixed Article, hm there is no Ryzen 5 3600 because R5 3600X is much beeter gaming CPU.

Recommendation of the day, read old comments at the end of the article.

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-cpu-for-gaming/
spell check is your friend. If there was a grammar check I would suggest that too.