Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 1222 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Look, as American has proven with guns, everyone should have them, and many of them, and that will in fact make it less likely people get harmed by them!
Hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians AND Russians would be alive today, if Ukraine had kept their nuclear weapons.
To save millions of lives in the short term future, it would be wise for Ukraine to regain that card.

Reactions: cytg111

trenchfoot

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Doesn't matter who kills Kim or how he dies, America will for any number of advantageous aspects as a matter of course be blamed for it. And off chance the accusers may be right about it too. However if Kim irritates Jinping enough methinks it would be one of the top scenarios for Kim's train to suffer a mysterious vaporization with patsy America being called first out in the lineup.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Doesn't matter who kills Kim or how he dies, America will for any number of advantageous aspects as a matter of course be blamed for it.
Which is idiotic, as near as I can tell he's far less belligerent than his father. He may not be purely friendly with the west but NK could definitely do worse right now.

Nov 17, 2019
PhatPhuk go boomboom, we get ...

iu

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Kilo class sub? That's over $100 million, right? Surprised they would bring it in within rage of the war. There had to been safer docks to use.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Kilo class sub? That's over $100 million, right? Surprised they would bring it in within rage of the war. There had to been safer docks to use.

They have some floating docks including a couple in Novoroyssik but they don't appear well equipped, certainly compared to the graving docks at Sevastopol. I assume they never built a major repair yard there because a) they could send ships to other ports b) they stole Crimea.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
They have some floating docks including a couple in Novoroyssik but they don't appear well equipped, certainly compared to the graving docks at Sevastopol. I assume they never built a major repair yard there because a) they could send ships to other ports b) they stole Crimea.
Also, Russia had negotiated long term use of Sevastopol as a military port from Ukraine (originally from 1997-2017, then extended through 2042) ~ right up until they stole it wholesale and then cancelled the associated treaty and lease. Just one of the long list of international agreements Russia has unilaterally discarded or ignored (then again, it'd be a much shorter list if you managed to point out any agreements that Russia hasn't violated - yet).

Side note, the treaty had also allowed Russia to pre-station 25,000 troops (legally) in Crimea military bases, before they invaded and took the whole peninsula.

Last edited:
Reactions: K1052

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Turkey closed the straits i think so they are stuck in the blacksea ...

Reactions: Drach
Nov 17, 2019
I've never heard of this. Got a link?
It may be one of those hard to verify tales, but it's out there ....

9 yr. ago
I believe this story was popularized in the 1965 film Battle of the Bulge, in which a German officer (Colonel Hessler, played by Robert Shaw) finds a chocolate cake in the possession of an American POW and concludes that if the US can take the fuel and time to ship something as trivial as a cake into a war zone that Germany will surely lose the war.
I don't know if the incident really happened, but I believe the above movie popularized the story of it.
level 1
Op · 9 yr. ago
Sorry, forgot to add: The remark implies the massive logistical capability of the US that it can send a perishable and non essential item thousands of miles to the front, which Germany cannot match."

1. The American truck seized by the Germans in World War II ... - 頭條匯

https://min.news › en › military › a25dd355d757b1ec41d924729f9c4413.html
    During World War II, German troops seized supplies of American troops. A batch of cakes was found on one of the trucks. The Germans took a closer look and found that these cakes were produced within a week. After reading it, many people said that they had lost the war. In fact, no one knows whether this story is true.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
It may be one of those hard to verify tales, but it's out there ....

9 yr. ago
I believe this story was popularized in the 1965 film Battle of the Bulge, in which a German officer (Colonel Hessler, played by Robert Shaw) finds a chocolate cake in the possession of an American POW and concludes that if the US can take the fuel and time to ship something as trivial as a cake into a war zone that Germany will surely lose the war.
I don't know if the incident really happened, but I believe the above movie popularized the story of it.
level 1
Op · 9 yr. ago
Sorry, forgot to add: The remark implies the massive logistical capability of the US that it can send a perishable and non essential item thousands of miles to the front, which Germany cannot match."

1. The American truck seized by the Germans in World War II ... - 頭條匯

https://min.news › en › military › a25dd355d757b1ec41d924729f9c4413.html
    During World War II, German troops seized supplies of American troops. A batch of cakes was found on one of the trucks. The Germans took a closer look and found that these cakes were produced within a week. After reading it, many people said that they had lost the war. In fact, no one knows whether this story is true.
Interesting! I wasn't questioning it but I'd heard from older people in my family who served (British) as a child that the Americans were able to get stuff like that alongside cookies and candy near the front lines due to how good the American logistics were in ww2. It doesn't sound too far fetched. They would have to have been enriched cakes to stay fresh and supple in a week of transport of course. like a pound cake.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Interesting! I wasn't questioning it but I'd heard from older people in my family who served (British) as a child that the Americans were able to get stuff like that alongside cookies and candy near the front lines due to how good the American logistics were in ww2. It doesn't sound too far fetched. They would have to have been enriched cakes to stay fresh and supple in a week of transport of course. like a pound cake.

We've made some improvements since then:

burger-king-truck-military.0.jpg

Nov 17, 2019
We're getting too far off topic here, but GIs got chocolate bars in their rations:

1. Military chocolate (United States) - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Military_chocolate_(United_States)
    The World War II K ration issued in temperate climates sometimes included a bar of Hershey's commercial-formula sweet chocolate. But instead of being the typical flat thin bar, the K ration chocolate was a thick rectangular bar that was square at each end. (In tropical regions, the K ration used Hershey's Tropical Bar formula.)

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
We're getting too far off topic here, but GIs got chocolate bars in their rations:

The World War II K ration issued in temperate climates sometimes included a bar of Hershey's commercial-formula sweet chocolate. But instead of being the typical flat thin bar, the K ration chocolate was a thick rectangular bar that was square at each end. (In tropical regions, the K ration used Hershey's Tropical Bar formula.)
C rats had chocolate “bars” in them…in some “flavors” of main course…usually accompanied with a tin of peanut butter.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

And Steve1989MREInfo has tried them all. (If you know you know)

Reactions: KMFJD and Ns1

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
We've made some improvements since then:

View attachment 85769
What was this?

I've seen some old ww2 era ration bars in videos and old now gone forums. this bar was depicted in band of brothers. When I first saw the series as it originally aired in 01 I didn't at the time know it was hershey. The internet wasn't as vast then and I presumed it was a easily made easy to chew low grade chocolate that used softer fats than cocoa butter.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
What was this?

I've seen some old ww2 era ration bars in videos and old now gone forums. this bar was depicted in band of brothers. When I first saw the series as it originally aired in 01 I didn't at the time know it was hershey. The internet wasn't as vast then and I presumed it was a easily made easy to chew low grade chocolate that used softer fats than cocoa butter.

6:50

Reactions: A///