Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 908 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Fine. 2003 invasion of Iraq. And we weren’t worried about weapons on our borders, but in a country thousands of miles away. You do realize countries invade other countries due to potential hostile threats right? We’re experts at it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Immaterial. What does that have to do with Russia invading Ukraine twice? You've already lost the "but but NATO border" excuse.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
It is threatening Russia when it's main adversary(NATO) puts weapons on it's borders for 8 straight years. You know, kind of like how we invaded Iraq over the 'threat' of nuclear weapons. The difference is Iraq has zero nukes, and NATO weapons pumping is a real thing.

Is their a technical definition of NATO weapons pumping? What is that exactly?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It is threatening Russia when it's main adversary(NATO) puts weapons on it's borders for 8 straight years. You know, kind of like how we invaded Iraq over the 'threat' of nuclear weapons. The difference is Iraq has zero nukes, and NATO weapons pumping is a real thing.

Er... no. NATO countries have a basic right to border defense, and have not conducted any buildups or political rhetoric to suggest they would invade Russia. Like Pens said, NATO has had troops on the borders since the Cold War began; Putin is complaining about something that hasn't really changed and doesn't pose a threat. This wasn't Putin's attempt to bring peace; it was an attempt to weaken defenses so that he could act unilaterally with a slower response from NATO members.

Russia, meanwhile, did little to hide that it was amassing troops at Ukraine's border for the sake of invasion. Putin just lied about why he 'needed' to invade the country.

I know the Iraq War was based on false pretenses. Bush Jr.'s administration wasn't at all subtle about that. But there's a certain irony to using that as your example while effectively supporting Russia, which... invaded on clearly false pretenses. Do you really think Russia needed to "de-Nazify" Ukraine?

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

If he has a problem with NATO he should invade NATO. Oh wait, their fourth-rate army of untrained conscripts and prisoners would get demolished. Then he'd have to either nuke the world or accept whatever conditions NATO imposes.

Reactions: Brovane

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Er... no. NATO countries have a basic right to border defense, and have not conducted any buildups or political rhetoric to suggest they would invade Russia. Like Pens said, NATO has had troops on the borders since the Cold War began; Putin is complaining about something that hasn't really changed and doesn't pose a threat. This wasn't Putin's attempt to bring peace; it was an attempt to weaken defenses so that he could act unilaterally with a slower response from NATO members.

Russia, meanwhile, did little to hide that it was amassing troops at Ukraine's border for the sake of invasion. Putin just lied about why he 'needed' to invade the country.

I know the Iraq War was based on false pretenses. Bush Jr.'s administration wasn't at all subtle about that. But there's a certain irony to using that as your example while effectively supporting Russia, which... invaded on clearly false pretenses. Do you really think Russia needed to "de-Nazify" Ukraine?

Damn you ...

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007
Great, so you agree at the time of signing Russia had already invaded Ukraine.

Invading your neighbors is not the mark of a peaceful country, agree?

Nothing in that article says Russia intended to follow the Minsk Accords and regardless the proof is in the pudding - they never did.

1-Sure invading a country is not the mark of peace, which is why a PEACE agreement was signed afterwards. You know, kind of like how most wars end? The agreement was signed to bring peace.

2-Again, where is your evidence that Russia did not tend to abide by the peace agreement? I have yet to hear Poroshenko, Merkel or Putin say Russia had no intention of abiding by it. All I hear is Putin complaining Ukraine is not holding up their end of the bargain, and Merkel and Poroshenko stating they had no intention. What conclusion is one supposed to draw from that?

Let me explain this in simpler terms. Say your a mediator trying to solve a dispute between 2 people:

Person A: Person B isn’t holding up their end of the bargain.

Person B: Your right we’re not.

?

I rest my case your honor.

I think all of the pro war propaganda you guys have been fed the past year and how it is all going will soon unravel. Can’t ignore reality forever. Also the fact that Ukraine is now asking for more tank and artillery then the entire German army has, tell us this war of attrition is not going well.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
1-Sure invading a country is not the mark of peace, which is why a PEACE agreement was signed afterwards. You know, kind of like how most wars end? The agreement was signed to bring peace.

2-Again, where is your evidence that Russia did not tend to abide by the peace agreement? I have yet to hear Poroshenko, Merkel or Putin say Russia had no intention of abiding by it. All I hear is Putin complaining Ukraine is not holding up their end of the bargain, and Merkel and Poroshenko stating they had no intention. What conclusion is one supposed to draw from that?

Let me explain this in simpler terms. Say your a mediator trying to solve a dispute between 2 people:

Person A: Person B isn’t holding up their end of the bargain.

Person B: Your right we’re not.

?

I rest my case your honor.

I think all of the pro war propaganda you guys have been fed the past year and how it is all going will soon unravel. Can’t ignore reality forever. Also the fact that Ukraine is now asking for more tank and artillery then the entire German army has, tell us this war of attrition is not going well.

The proof that Russia didn’t intend to abide by it is that they didn’t abide by it.

Regardless, they invaded their neighbor! That’s not peaceful.

Can you make the simple statement that Russia is not a peaceful nation as shown by the invasion of their neighbors? That should be easy for you.

Drach

Apr 24, 2022
You may not but our government most certainly would and have acted on it.

Our? Highly doubtful that the US government would invade and kill 10's of thousands of Mexicans . We may have our quarrels but mostly we are very friendly. I love going to Mexico every year for vacation .

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Hats off to the Dutch! Didn't expect that. Didn't expect that they had Patriot batteries. Haven't found out how many they have (my google fu sucks).
Latest I could find, the Dutch had 4 batteries.
I do wonder how many missiles (presumably PAC-3?) we're sending with the batteries -- patriot missiles are like $4 million a pop, and Lockheed only has been making like 300 per year (although they did just open up another factory, so maybe up to 500/yr now)

Reactions: Ajay

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Why is he resigning then if it was a simple 'mistake'? Maybe he was asked to lie about it instead and he refused?

Do your research on NATO policy before you call it 'unprovoked'. The same NATO that launched nearly 10,000 raids on Libya and turned it from the most prosperous nation in Africa to an actual slave state.

NATO has been pumping weapons onto Russia's borders for 8 years now and you don't expect its neighbors to react? Let's see how you would react if Russia was pumping weapons onto the US/Mexico border.

The last time this happened to us, this is how we reacted:

fuck you're an imbecile.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
He's not a troll; he's a paid Chinese propagandist. It's kind of interesting watching how he works, sad really, how a once mighty propaganda machine has rusted away.

Like saying a man with a busted shovel is not very effective at removing snow.
Meanwhile, an entire snow plow is clearing the street.

The propaganda is winning if you take into account what the United States Congress intends to do for Russia.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
If the Russian homeland does not burn for this war, it will just encourage more war. It will not end until Russia feels enough pain. We must either make it painful through direct action ourselves, or arm Ukraine to the point that it can return fire. Enough arms that it can stand toe to toe with Russia. Anything less encourages Russia to double down and keep throwing men at the problem until they win through attrition. Every day this goes on, with one arm tired behind Ukraine's back, the more damage Ukraine suffers without an equitable response to harm the Russian side.

We are sending a message that we will not prevent them from massacring people. Due to this message, they are counting on our meek or non response. Russia continues to double down for more.
And that prolonging of Russia's campaign for ethnic cleansing is unconscionable.
We must do better. We must give whatever it takes to go all out. We must harm Russia's thirst for this war.

Equity for Ukraine. Excessive Western caution in the supply of weapons to Ukraine is costing Ukrainian lives and fueling Russian impunity while preventing meaningful progress toward peace.
Equity is a part of the laws of war. All countries have the right to proportionate retaliation. Without this right, international law would be powerless. It is time to stop obstructing Ukraine from applying this law.
Since Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine began in February 2022, the West has provided Ukraine with critical support. However, Western leaders have also limited the scope of the military aid they are prepared to provide. As a consequence, Russia been able to attack inside Ukraine with impunity while Ukraine has been severely restricted in its ability to engage in anything remotely resembling proportionate retaliation on Russian soil.
This has led to a surreal kind of war. The aggressor gets to punish the victim and wreak havoc on the victim’s terrain. The damage is limited to Ukrainian soil, while the aggressor’s own country remains virtually untouched. The current approach encourages international aggression and war crimes. It sets a dangerous precedent and needs to be reversed.