Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 780 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Whatever Elon, I figure it's the least you can do given your roll over for Putin. Not like you can't afford it. I think you saw even your supporters recoil from your call with Putin, the sudden penny pinching with Ukraine. What happened to wanting to stay out of politics? Bet you wished you adhered to that fresh Texan transplant disclaimer now huh?

I was wanting the Biden admin to negotiate a fair contract for Ukraine's Starlink service, but if Musk wants to foot the bill himself, great. He wouldn't be where he is with Tesla if it weren't for taxpayer dollars. Using a mere fraction of his wealth to help out Uncle Sam upholding freedom and democracy is not an uncomfortable notion to me.

Now, about that world hunger issue...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
After bitching and complaining for the entirety of the war, Girkin now has a bounty on his head.

Would be nice is UKR climes his corpse, sends it to that person offering the bounty, and they actually honor it.

Maybe then purchase a few drones with the bounty money and keep taking out infrastructure within Russia with the drones.

Reactions: Roger Wilco

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
this is likely going to be the most pointless argument of this thread

I don’t care if you don’t have time to research basic facts of the solar industry in the USA. I lived it, and the narrative I presented is very easy to find online.
I believe you when you say you live in America. Your here representing Chinese interests.

For example, the Obama / Biden tariffs were found to be illegal by WTO:

https://www.energymatters.com.au/renewable-news/em4396/
Whats your point?

That the Obama administrations attempt to save US solar cell manufacturing with tariffs was a failure?

So you simultaneously claim:
"Obama destroyed US solar with tariffs"
"Obama failed to save US solar with tariffs because it lost at the WTO"

Your claims are contradictory. Pick one.

The same tariffs Obama did are suddenly legal and totally wonderful when Trump does them.

The real reason you liked Trump was his administration allowed China to build up a network of front companies to sell Chinese solar cells and components through. A criminal backdoor around the tariffs.

"Top climate officials in the Biden administration are warning that a federal investigation into alleged dodging of tariffs by Chinese suppliers has put the domestic solar industry in peril just as the United States is trying to ramp up clean-energy production. " - WP article above
The Biden administration shows up, is not incompetent, and immediately tries to do something about China's criminal smuggling of solar cells.

But according to you, this enforcement of the law is preventing the importation of solar panels and it is all Biden's fault. Hearing it from you, it has nothing to do with China's criminality.

Effects on the USA solar industry - including polysilicon production:

https://www.spglobal.com/marketinte...uring-is-still-deep-in-asia-s-shadow-70236202
Yes, it is all Obama's and Biden's fault, and had nothing to do with the illegal tariffs China imposed on the US poly-silicon. We know they were illegal Chinese tariffs according to your own link* about the WTO ruling against China in 2021.
*https://ustr.gov/about-us/policy-of...anel-rejects-chinas-solar-safeguard-challenge

Specific discussion of the effect on the polysilicon industry:

https://www.greentechmedia.com/amp/...mains-a-forgotten-casualty-of-the-201-tariffs
Final rules on pause in tariffs just passed - note, this action is in the courts as well and still is a huge risk.
A hit piece by a shell company of a shell company. Very nice.

Chinese propaganda.

You mix your lies in with the truth, you are good at the big lie.

So your point here is Biden finally admitted defeat and temporarily paused on cracking down on China's criminal network?

That Chinese manufacturers built by government subsidizes destroyed US solar manufacturing and there is no going back?

That the Chinese criminal network built to evade the tariffs ended up being to much for the Biden administration to overcome?

These were trivial to find and fully support my position.
They don't support your position though.

What they do show is a bipartisan attempt to save the US solar manufacturing over the course of three administrations that failed. Mainly do to rampant Chinese criminality and a complete disregard for the law by Chinese interests.

The IRA gets a B+ for me. For the most part it just extends the existing investment tax credits. Well done political work to get it passed. It does 2 things for usa manufacturing - provides long term stability to the USA industry and incentives for USA production. Took too long to pass and is crippled by other actions like the above, but overall ok.
You like it because it increased demand for panels. Including panels made in China.

But you dislike because it does nothing about the "other actions above", also known as the criminal investigation into Chinese smuggling. Because that means that US manufacturers might find non-Chinese sources for their components.

When you say "US industry" what you are actually saying is "US imports of Chinese solar components and cells".

That is the truth here. You keep associating "US industry" with Chinese imports, and that is the consistent lie you propagate through your posts.

Your not pro-America, your pro-sell Chinese solar cells.

I fully support the Biden administration’s support for Ukraine other than wishing they provided support faster and with more of the weapons requested, but they have been very steady in their aid. I don’t think they thought through air defenses fully, but the systems needed are in much shorter supply.
The only thing you support is a quick end to the war, and you do not care how it happens.

That is the other consistent truth to your postings.

Early on you just want us to have Ukraine admit defeat. All your doom and gloom postings were associated with the idea that Ukraine was going to lose and it was inevitable. We should just give up and end it quick. To spare Ukrainians the suffering.

But now that is not going to happen you switched to a quick Ukrainian victory. You just want an end to the world wide disruptions in demand this war is causing. So the western nations can relax and go back to buying Chinese products and ignoring Chinese criminality.

I guess that is a good thing, that you want peace.

Last edited:

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Would be nice is UKR climes his corpse, sends it to that person offering the bounty, and they actually honor it.

Maybe then purchase a few drones with the bounty money and keep taking out infrastructure within Russia with the drones.

Ahhh...this Flesh for Cash malarkey could work to our advantage.
dr-king-schultz-christop-waltz-600x338.jpg

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Poor baby. I'd really like to know the marginal cost of Starlink in Ukraine. I have a feeling the $80M number includes a ton of fixed cost burden on it.

I have no problem with SpaceX being paid for their service. But the negotiations need to be behind closed doors, going through the proper processes, not on fucking Tweeter. You don't see the CEO of Raytheon talking about expedite fees on Facebook.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
this is likely going to be the most pointless argument of this thread

I believe you when you say you live in America. Your here representing Chinese interests.

Whats your point?

That the Obama administrations attempt to save US solar cell manufacturing with tariffs was a failure?

So you simultaneously claim:
"Obama destroyed US solar with tariffs"
"Obama failed to save US solar with tariffs because it lost at the WTO"

Your claims are contradictory. Pick one.

The same tariffs Obama did are suddenly legal and totally wonderful when Trump does them.

The real reason you liked Trump was his administration allowed China to build up a network of front companies to sell Chinese panels through. A criminal backdoor around the tariffs.

"Top climate officials in the Biden administration are warning that a federal investigation into alleged dodging of tariffs by Chinese suppliers has put the domestic solar industry in peril just as the United States is trying to ramp up clean-energy production. " - WP article above
The Biden administration shows up, is not incompetent, and immediately tries to do something about China's criminal smuggling of solar cells.

But according to you, this enforcement of the law is preventing the importation of solar panels and it is all Biden's fault. Hearing it from you, it has nothing to do with China's criminality.

Yes, it is all Obama's and Biden's fault, and had nothing to do with the illegal tariffs China imposed on the US poly-silicon. We know they were illegal Chinese tariffs according to your own link* about the WTO ruling against China in 2021.
*https://ustr.gov/about-us/policy-of...anel-rejects-chinas-solar-safeguard-challenge

A hit piece by a shell company of a shell company. Very nice.

Chinese propaganda.

You mix your lies in with the truth, you are good at the big lie.

So your point here is Biden finally admitted defeat and temporarily paused on cracking down on China's criminal network?

That Chinese manufacturers built by government subsidizes destroyed US solar manufacturing and there is no going back?

That the Chinese criminal network built to evade the tariffs ended up being to much for the Biden administration to overcome?

They don't support your position though.

What they do show is a bipartisan attempt to save the US solar manufacturing over the course of three administrations that failed. Mainly do to rampant Chinese criminality and a complete disregard for the law by Chinese interests.

You like it because it increased demand for panels. Including panels made in China.

But you dislike because it does nothing about the "other actions above", also known as the criminal investigation into Chinese smuggling. Because that means that US manufacturers might find non-Chinese sources for their components.

When you say "US industry" what you are actually saying is "US imports of Chinese solar cells".

That is the truth here. You keep associating "US industry" with Chinese imports, and that is the consistent lie you propagate through your posts.

Your not pro-America, your pro-sell Chinese solar cells. By any means necessary.

The only thing you support is a quick end to the war, and you do not care how it happens.

Early on you just want us to have Ukraine admit defeat. All your doom and gloom postings were associated with the idea that Ukraine was going to lose and it was inevitable. We should just give up and end it quick. To spare Ukrainians the suffering.

But now that is not going to happen you switched to a quick Ukrainian victory. You just want an end to the world wide disruptions in demand this war is causing. So the western nations can relax and go back to buying Chinese products and ignoring Chinese criminality.

I don’t want to clutter up this thread any further on this argument. I have the experience and knowledge to know that my opinion is backed by what actually happened.

If you want to argue this specifically, feel free to start another thread on solar policy in the USA. I spent and continue to spend decades of my work experience in this industry and lived through the entire history and results I posted. In that thread I will be happy to go back into time and pull out the history of the whole process. Polysilicon takes technical knowledge, cheap and reliable electricity and capital investment. All of which the USA is excellent at. It even helped that most ships are pretty empty returning to China from the USA so bill shipping that way was cheap.

The sole reason I brought it up was to point out that you cannot assume a political side means X when it could very well be Y. Enough in this thread.

Drach

Apr 24, 2022
I don’t want to clutter up this thread any further on this argument. I have the experience and knowledge to know that my opinion is backed by what actually happened.

If you want to argue this specifically, feel free to start another thread on solar policy in the USA. I spent and continue to spend decades of my work experience in this industry and lived through the entire history and results I posted. In that thread I will be happy to go back into time and pull out the history of the whole process. Polysilicon takes technical knowledge, cheap and reliable electricity and capital investment. All of which the USA is excellent at. It even helped that most ships are pretty empty returning to China from the USA so bill shipping that way was cheap.

The sole reason I brought it up was to point out that you cannot assume a political side means X when it could very well be Y. Enough in this thread.
Please don't. Your comments are a distraction from the thread. TY

Reactions: Leeea

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999

The bottom part is dumb. One of the fastest ways the war could end it that Ukraine surrenders.

I want Russia defeated, and them to surrender. If Ukraine decides to negotiate, I want it from the maximum position of strength that they can. I want Ukraine to defeat Russia quickly with the least amount of loss of life and thus more weapons and resources to them faster.

The defeat should be in a way that does not pull NATO into direct conflict with Russia to avoid the large risk of it escalating into a nuclear exchange but that threat by Russia is not a reason to not help Ukraine.

Unfortunately, despite the terrible showing of Russia so far, it is a much larger country than Ukraine and is able to fight without exposing much of their country to counter attack. So I want a quicker end with less damage to Ukraine but the actual path to that is hard to see. That is my doom and gloom.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Eat a dick asshole!
I was discussing the argument and I want peace as fast as possible and obviously I do not want that as I do not want Ukraine to surrender.

Maybe English is not your first language?

Drach

Apr 24, 2022
I was discussing the argument and I want peace as fast as possible and obviously I do not want that as I do not want Ukraine to surrender.

Maybe English is not your first language?
1st absolutely. Yours is obviously not.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I quoted what you said. I have no regrets in what I said.
"
The bottom part is dumb. One of the fastest ways the war could end it that Ukraine surrenders.

I want Russia defeated, and them to surrender. If Ukraine decides to negotiate, I want it from the maximum position of strength that they can. I want Ukraine to defeat Russia quickly with the least amount of loss of life and thus more weapons and resources to them faster. "

Pretty damned clear what I want vs. the theorectical way it could end faster if my desire was that it ends fast, which was the claim I was adrdressing. Instead I said I don't want them to surrender.

Reactions: Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Last edited: