Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 719 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Looked at Twitter this morning and pretty much the same posts as the last week. Lyman will fall tomorrow (has not yet), Russians are leaving Lyman (have not yet) and if they do not it is a big trap anyways.

Hard to see how much progress being made but there does not seem to be signs of the Russian front collapsing.

I am hoping that tomorrow this post looks especially dumb as they do make progress there but so far not much changed.

Reactions: Zor Prime

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Why would the USA even take the troubles to do it? The pipelines are dead elephants.

View attachment 68335

I do appreciate the idea mentioned above by @[DHT]Osiris that its a warning shot by Russia. The Norwegian-Polish Gas Pipeline is in the same area.
The difference being that Nordstream is owned by a Russian company, so it is not an attack on a NATO member, an attack on this pipeline very much is and would inflict article 5.

Reactions: Leeea and RnR_au

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
There is an interesting part of the talk by Solovyov. He complains that the government haven't made their own drone factories 7 months after the war started. That Russia is reliant on Iran. He hasn't made the connection yet that a mafia state can't make complex components and items as discussed real early in this thread.

If Iran can make drones shouldn't Russia be able as well?

Reactions: Leeea

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
If Iran can make drones shouldn't Russia be able as well?

That requires specific manufacturing and computer sciences. Modern tech.
Vlad probably didn't like those girly looking war planes. Too small, not enough firepower.

Imagine Trump syndrome. Russia has large show pieces. It has the most tanks and MLRS. All the rockets and bombs. Numbers go brrrr. Also, more corruption than we can possibly imagine.

The youth smart enough to make drones saw this and GTFO.
Apparently Iran is a less oppressive, less corrupt nation than Russia. Makes them smarter and in some ways more dangerous. Such as having drones.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Looked at Twitter this morning and pretty much the same posts as the last week. Lyman will fall tomorrow (has not yet), Russians are leaving Lyman (have not yet) and if they do not it is a big trap anyways.

Even as new information comes in, you ignored it?
I wonder who will recognize the situation first, Russian TV... or you....

From the previous page of this thread. Breakthroughs around Lyman have been occurring in the past week. As of yesterday the encirclement is nearly complete.
But yes, tell me the Russians who pick random men up off the street and throw them into the meat grinder... tell me that army is not desperate and breaking.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
So what's up with the Nordstream pipelines leaking?

Sounds very much as though it was a deliberate attack. But what would be the rationale for doing so, when they aren't currently being used and are, as I understand it, legally owned by Russians anyway?

If it's the Russians, I don't really understand why would they bother, when surely if they wanted to they could just turn the taps off at their end anyway?
It was obviously the Ukranians, the fact that people don't even consider this seems pretty blinkered. I mean, logically it's not complex. It's your enemy, they get paid $10's of billions a month for gas by Europe, that is then used to buy bombs to kill Ukranians. If you could cut that financial supply with a small boat, a remote controlled sub and some charges why would you not? Kick them where it hurts, hard in the wallet. Obviously Russia still has other pipelines .... that go through Ukraine ... so gives Ukraine greater control of Russian gas.

Finally you can blame it on the Russians because no one believes a word they say.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It was obviously the Ukranians, the fact that people don't even consider this seems pretty blinkered. I mean, logically it's not complex. It's your enemy, they get paid $10's of billions a month for gas by Europe, that is then used to buy bombs to kill Ukranians. If you could cut that financial supply with a small boat, a remote controlled sub and some charges why would you not? Kick them where it hurts, hard in the wallet. Obviously Russia still has other pipelines .... that go through Ukraine ... so gives Ukraine greater control of Russian gas.

Finally you can blame it on the Russians because no one believes a word they say.
So to be clear you think the ‘obvious’ answer is that Ukraine is now engaging in attacks on NATO’s energy infrastructure? Lol, no.

Reactions: RnR_au and Leeea

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Even as new information comes in, you ignored it?
I wonder who will recognize the situation first, Russian TV... or you....

From the previous page of this thread. Breakthroughs around Lyman have been occurring in the past week. As of yesterday the encirclement is nearly complete.
But yes, tell me the Russians who pick random men up off the street and throw them into the meat grinder... tell me that army is not desperate and breaking.

The same type of posts have been made daily. Some new map, some new village.

Twitter posts are not the best source of information as no real quality control but still not the fall of Lyman that has been predicted every day for a week or more already.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Well the other theory today from ZorPrime is the US did it. I feel like the Qvasion is coming to this thread.
Not quite fair IMO, what this move accomplishes is that Europe cant back down and start suckling Russian gas titty even if winter gets real ugly. Its basically moving EU all-in.
Who have motive and means to pull this off? (Not saying the US exclusively).

Reactions: Zor Prime and Leeea

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Not quite fair IMO, what this move accomplishes is that Europe cant back down and start suckling Russian gas titty even if winter gets real ugly. Its basically moving EU all-in.
Who have motive and means to pull this off? (Not saying the US exclusively).
Russia has the motive and the means. It is nearly certain they are the ones who did this.

I struggle to understand why people would think Ukraine or the US would benefit from sabotaging the energy infrastructure of their allies. If the US were concerned about weakening European resolve I don’t think committing acts of war against them would help.

Reactions: Meghan54 and Leeea

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Russia has the motive and the means. It is nearly certain they are the ones who did this.

I struggle to understand why people would think Ukraine or the US would benefit from sabotaging the energy infrastructure of their allies. If the US were concerned about weakening European resolve I don’t think committing acts of war against them would help.
Only saw just now that Bea did a video on it

And this is how I read Zor's post : Who has motive? Not a "US DID IT!!!"

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
So to be clear you think the ‘obvious’ answer is that Ukraine is now engaging in attacks on NATO’s energy infrastructure? Lol, no.
No they are attacking Russia, they are quite happy for Europe to get it's power from somewhere that isn't Russia. Ukraine have pointed out on a number of occasions very strongly the stupidity of on one hand claiming to support them while on the other paying their enemy billions a month. I think Ukraine considers the life of it's people dying to the bombs paid for by those billions as the most important thing, and it's hard to argue with that.

I mean the US was happy to go around the world invading nations when it felt threatened after 9-11 when a few thousand died. What would they do if their cities were under permanent bombardment, are you saying they wouldn't blow up a gas money pipe because it might upset someone?

Last edited:

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
That requires specific manufacturing and computer sciences. Modern tech.
Vlad probably didn't like those girly looking war planes. Too small, not enough firepower.

Imagine Trump syndrome. Russia has large show pieces. It has the most tanks and MLRS. All the rockets and bombs. Numbers go brrrr. Also, more corruption than we can possibly imagine.

The youth smart enough to make drones saw this and GTFO.
Apparently Iran is a less oppressive, less corrupt nation than Russia. Makes them smarter and in some ways more dangerous. Such as having drones.
Or maybe Iran wanted to produce a weapon that wouldn't be an obvious target for Israeli or US attacks.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
No they are attacking Russia, they are quite happy for Europe to get it's power from somewhere that isn't Russia. Ukraine have pointed out on a number of occasions very strongly the stupidity of on one hand claiming to support them while on the other paying their enemy billions a month. I think Ukraine considers the life of it's people dying to the bombs paid for by those billions as the most important thing, and it's hard to argue with that.

I mean the US was happy to go around the world invading nations when it felt threatened after 9-11 when a few thousand died,. What would they do if their cities were under permanent bombardment, are you saying they wouldn't blow up a gas money pipe?
And what do you think the consequences would be if the EU tied Ukraine to it?

Reactions: NTMBK and Leeea

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I mean the US was happy to go around the world invading nations when it felt threatened after 9-11 when a few thousand died. What would they do if their cities were under permanent bombardment, are you saying they wouldn't blow up a gas money pipe because it might upset someone?
Yes, I’m saying Ukraine wouldn’t do that because it would be insane for them to do.

Ukraine is utterly reliant on western support to win this war. You don’t attack the energy infrastructure of your benefactors because then they stop being your benefactors.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Sorry but asking if the US secretly blew up gas pipelines that send Europe gas does fall into the "dumb as fuck" category. Especially since those pipelines were already effectively shut down by the Russians.
Yea yea ok ok, I get it, feelings were trambled on, and it was a piss poor judgement call to call out a specific country. Granted.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Yea yea ok ok, I get it, feelings were trambled on, and it was a piss poor judgement call to call out a specific country. Granted.
It's "piss poor" to call out Ukraine or the US. It's not exactly "piss poor" to call out Russia, another "specific country." They have the capability, and it would be just like Putin to display this capability as a warning shot, since there are other undersea pipelines he could disrupt.

Reactions: Drach and Leeea