Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 721 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
If you think about this logically the Russians blowing it up is by far the most likely answer. They have the access to do so and the motive.

Ukraine blowing up a gas pipe that no gas was being delivered through at the risk of alienating their most important allies and essentially losing the war makes no sense.

Regardless, there will be an investigation and I suspect we will find out relatively shortly who did it. (Russia)

-Is one of Russia's top priorities, after winning Ukraine, to get sanctions lifted/eased?
-Is that more or less likely with NS1+2 blown up?

Reactions: Zor Prime

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
Well the other theory today from ZorPrime is the US did it. I feel like the Qvasion is coming to this thread.
Q up in this Polish house! And Forbes too, apparently.

I hadn't seen that information shared in the thread yet so I shared it. ... like, that's about it.

I don't know who did it. I said as much. Hell, I went as far as to say we'll likely never know who did.

But it would make sense for America to do so. Russia can't wait for an ideal moment for maximum gain to flip the gas switch back on.

You better believe that Putin is also being pretty damn hopeful that support for Ukraine wanes so he can get what he wants. Chilling parts of Europe and midterms swinging to the right would be a big step in that direction.

The political landscape is every bit as important at this point in time as the actual battlefield because that is what's going to ultimately dictate what's happening on the ground.

Europe getting cold feet, economics being a huge motivator in who gets voted in and ousted, coupled with midterms going to the Republicans could let Russia catch its breath and redouble if not end up with what they want or slink away with Putin still in power. Not every story has a happy ending. Life isn't fair. Sometimes you pass Go and get shafted with $20 instead of $200.

Putin appears to be pretty fucked on the battlefield front, so yeah my 'theory' that the prick is placing a hefty bet on the political landscape is simple common sense. Anybody blowing up the 'Nord pipelines really puts a wrench right up Russia's ass.

Also, if you're just trying to bide time for a couple more months to see how things pan out if you put your evil dictator hat on it makes sense to throw poorly to zero trained conscripts into the meat grinder to try and get those extra few precious seconds to see if the tide might go in your favor.

I think Putin is gambling in a calculated fashion, trying to make the most of a horribly shitty situation he's found himself in, but nope I ain't got a clue who actually messed up his pipelines.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
What exactly does a war like this look like to you? Capturing village by village is exactly how things go.

Surrounded by many posts claiming that Lyman will fall the next day (going on for a while) and then a post about some village falling (and other posts claiming it was taken back). And other posts saying that the intent was to encircle and trap forces and some village or heights over the road listed as the proof about why that is working.

Lots of different maps with arrows on them from different twitter sources.

What I do know is that Lyman has not been recaptured by the Ukrainians yet and that Russian forces are resisting.

Other than that, Ukraine high command is much smarter than me here. Maybe they have other objectives.

Reactions: Leeea

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I am inclined to believe the Russians did it, but it still seems murky as to what the purpose of doing so was. It's been reported the explosion occured just barely outside of Danish territorial waters - implying someone was being careful not to be seen as directly attacking a NATO country?

"Sending a message" is a possible explanation, but it seems a slightly obscure message. Seems more plausible to me that it's just an alternative to constantly halting deliveries on the pretext of 'maintenance work'. Or could it actually have been accidental after all?
Yeah I really don’t understand what the message could be. They can simply turn off the gas if that is what they want, and if it was supposed to be a threat towards NATO members energy supplies then it is full scale war threat, which is nothing new or something they would risk.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
The same type of posts have been made daily. Some new map, some new village.

Twitter posts are not the best source of information as no real quality control but still not the fall of Lyman that has been predicted every day for a week or more already.
The pro Ukraine narratives/propaganda is... pro Ukraine. Why are you sabotaging Ukraine psyops campaign?

Reactions: Leymenaide

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The pro Ukraine narratives/propaganda is... pro Ukraine. Why are you sabotaging Ukraine psyops campaign?

To be fair, we should seek the truth. Not sides.

However, the posts we are responding to have repeatedly and adamantly downplayed Ukraine at every turn. And is now acting in defiance of the truth, exactly as we would expect from Russian News itself. Likely not breaking until after Russian News does. Which begs the question... to whom do they listen?

The development of Lyman's encirclement is clear. I was surprised they still denied it. Only the higher ups at Russia deny it, their people on Telegram are panicked and upset.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
To be fair, we should seek the truth. Not sides.

However, the posts we are responding to have repeatedly and adamantly downplayed Ukraine at every turn. And is now acting in defiance of the truth, exactly as we would expect from Russian News itself. Likely not breaking until after Russian News does. Which begs the question... to whom do they listen?

The development of Lyman's encirclement is clear. I was surprised they still denied it. Only the higher ups at Russia deny it, their people on Telegram are panicked and upset.

Indeed we should... and we all know that truth is the first thing that dies in war.. yet our "twitter sources" have had a pretty good track record in terms of 20/20 hindsight so far...

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Could Russia just slip a few bombs into the pipeline, wait until they reach the optimal destination, and then remote detonate?
Theoretically yes - would be trivial if the gas was flowing to use a standard maintenance pig with some extra C4 and a detonator attached - although that would almost certainly leave significant (presumably undesirable to the bad actor) evidence behind upon inspection. As gas wasn't flowing would need to be a custom delivery device, but nothing overly complicated. In any case, damage inspection should be able to determine if explosion was internal or external.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Could the Russians have had a long-standing contingency capability to blow up the pipeline - but, Russian military competency being what it is - someone pulled the pin prematurely?

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
I am inclined to believe the Russians did it, but it still seems murky as to what the purpose of doing so was. It's been reported the explosion occured just barely outside of Danish territorial waters - implying someone was being careful not to be seen as directly attacking a NATO country?

"Sending a message" is a possible explanation, but it seems a slightly obscure message. Seems more plausible to me that it's just an alternative to constantly halting deliveries on the pretext of 'maintenance work'. Or could it actually have been accidental after all?
One leak could certainly have been an accident. Two separate explosions, 75km apart, is almost certainly enemy action. Preliminary Swedish estimates from seismology readings is >100kg TNT explosive equivalent blasts

Dec 10, 2005

The message is probably like: we have this capability to cut off undersea gas pipelines and other undersea infrastructure. By doing it only to Nordstreams, they don't risk escalation with other countries, but they get to send the message and also play dumb blame other people games like someone in this thread is pushing.

They also have created a feasible event to protect Gazprom from legal action for failure to fulfill gas contracts in Europe. "Sorry, pipeline had an unforeseeable accident."

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The message is probably like: we have this capability to cut off undersea gas pipelines and other undersea infrastructure. By doing it only to Nordstreams, they don't risk escalation with other countries, but they get to send the message and also play dumb blame other people games like someone in this thread is pushing.

They also have created a feasible event to protect Gazprom from legal action for failure to fulfill gas contracts in Europe. "Sorry, pipeline had an unforeseeable accident."
Someone else mentioned that Russia’s reaction is also very telling. The guys who threaten nuclear war every time their lunch order is late are just like ‘I guess we will just have to wait and see’ on this one.